General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can high comp pistons be skimmed to low comp ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

b19 dfp, J1mbo

Old 03-09-2009, 08:43 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by J1mbo
amount if shite thats posted on here these days ! pmsl !

you order a set of custom pistons, go for it, put them straight in your engine, and watch them hit the head, every time, piston manafacturers will normally make the pistons slightly bigger, you can machine them down, cant put more back on them

every tuner on the forum and in the world most likely machine pistons day in day out,

we order custom sets, but do you take the chance that the company are going to be right ? on a 25k 800odd bhp build ? nope didnt think so,

dont know if you know, but when building engines you leave certain abouts of piston out of the block, 6, 8 , 10 thou for example, the custom pistons arnt going to be within thousands of an inch.

also what if the block is faced and slightly more was taken off the further towards you get to the back of the block,

each piston is going to need a different amount taking off the top to be the same as the others,

but then, when your taking material off the top, your loosing area in that bowl, therefore raising the compression ratio, so now you have to take some material out of the bowl area to compensate for that,

custom pistons, WONT go straight in

jim

i did think it was you mate lol, you always end with cheers danny !
Jim your digging a big hole that reads that you cannot obtain a piston to the size you need, or thay you cannot bore or surface correctly a block - im very shocked
Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL get on with it guys,
Old 03-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markk
machining pistons is always a cheaper alternative, not always the best alternative, if you are so much the pro b19, then you would recommend the correct custom piston to suit the spec that would not need machining if you have given the correct spec, but then again, you would just get harvey to build it for you from what i can gather on here.
read my posts and jimbos post you knob..as said fucking loads most engines have got machined pistons..mind you you know more than me and more than jimbo and his dad and every other top tuner!!!id go to jimbo and his dad any day for advice on something i wasnt sure about and im defo going to ask them to dyno my new engine but as for building me an engine,i dont think so..iv built shit loads mayb not 700+bhp but lots of 500+and a couple of600+ engines so im ok there cheers...
Old 03-09-2009, 09:06 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by b19 dfp
read my posts and jimbos post you knob..as said fucking loads most engines have got machined pistons..mind you you know more than me and more than jimbo and his dad and every other top tuner!!!id go to jimbo and his dad any day for advice on something i wasnt sure about and im defo going to ask them to dyno my new engine but as for building me an engine,i dont think so..iv built shit loads mayb not 700+bhp but lots of 500+and a couple of600+ engines so im ok there cheers...

ok what ever - cock.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:24 PM
BANNED
BANNED

ok markk i give you a block rods and crank,i say can you build this for me??i want 8.1 cr..what pistons you going to order???
Old 03-09-2009, 09:37 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

ok markk i give you a block rods and crank,i say can you build this for me??i want 8.1 cr..what pistons you going to order???
Im loving this how you seam to think this is something i coudnt do - yet know nothing about me

one thing, im not a trader on this site, the other i dont build engines for the general public directly.

take that as you will.

and my apologies to the OP for being part of the post diversion
Old 03-09-2009, 09:43 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Im loving this how you seam to think this is something i coudnt do - yet know nothing about me

one thing, im not a trader on this site, the other i dont build engines for the general public directly.

take that as you will.

and my apologies to the OP for being part of the post diversion
if you know so much about building a cossie engine answer my simple question,your replies on this thread alone have already told me you know very little as your saying you shouldnt machine a piston!!!!try building 10 engines to different crs then tell me you didnt have to machine any pistons...twat!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

come on lads keep the abuse minimal, for others, this could be a good, interesting conversation that they could learn from
Old 03-09-2009, 09:48 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

if you know so much about building a cossie engine answer my simple question,your replies on this thread alone have already told me you know very little as your saying you shouldnt machine a piston!!!!try building 10 engines to different crs then tell me you didnt have to machine any pistons...twat!!!

listen pal, your not doing your professionalism any good here now are ?

I have no reason to even want to talk engines with you what-so ever, even less with someone who has the aptitude you display. you carry on pal.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:53 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by J1mbo
come on lads keep the abuse minimal, for others, this could be a good, interesting conversation that they could learn from
yeah your right...its just so annoying being told something you know is bollox cos youve done it day in day out for years...i think if he answered my question he would end up contredicting himself..oh well iv had enough now..
Old 03-09-2009, 09:56 PM
BANNED
BANNED

ok what ever - cock.
i say no more...as im a cock!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

i say no more...as im a cock!!!

calling people 'cock' is a northern thing lol

also used in the context 'alreet cock'

dont take it too personally
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
b19 dfp, J1mbo

Old 03-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Setting an exact CR on an engine almost always involves machining the pistons IME.

Other options are:
Run the pistons up or down the bore a bit (effects squish)
Change the thickness of the head gasket (effects squish)
Machine the head (not really much of an option on a pentroof design like a YB)
Old 03-09-2009, 10:17 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Chip
Setting an exact CR on an engine almost always involves machining the pistons IME.

Other options are:
Change the thickness of the head gasket (effects squish)
Machine the head (not really much of an option on a pentroof design like a YB)
fucking hell atlast someone who knows what hes talking about!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Chip

The guy asked if pistons can be machined, aye they can...is it right? NO
What do you think people like JE do if you ask for a specific bowl size? Do you believe they cast you a specific one off set of pistons, or do you think they machine down the nearest one off their catalogue?
How is them machining it ok, but J1mbo doing so not ok?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Simmo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Interesting read this... mostly, lol!!!

What does that mean Chip?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Simmo
Interesting read this... mostly, lol!!!

What does that mean Chip?

It means that instead of having the pistons at the optimum point (normally considered to be about 5thou proud of the block face but different applications will vary) you either let them further into the gasket, or stop them shy of the top of the block to alter the amount of unstroked volume above them.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:47 AM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mods shouldnt this post be cleared up locked,as it is getting childish and a bit off topic,the guy asked a simple question

cheeRS stu
Old 04-09-2009, 05:24 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

What do you think people like JE do if you ask for a specific bowl size? Do you believe they cast you a specific one off set of pistons, or do you think they machine down the nearest one off their catalogue?
How is them machining it ok, but J1mbo doing so not ok?

Err, no they actually make you a 'custom' set of pistons from alloy blocks, to the specification you give them, that's why it takes 6 weeks (or longer) from phonecall to delivery.

seriously cant see them finding a piston that's a close match off the shelf, to machine it down to what you want...

Take it you's have never actually bought a custom set of pistons? jus done it the cheap way and machined them all down? lol Dont see why you'd STILL need to machine pistons after buying 4 identical

Try it.......
http://www.jepistons.com/pdf/customp...-orderform.pdf

Over, and out...
Old 04-09-2009, 06:36 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Err, no they actually make you a 'custom' set of pistons from alloy blocks, to the specification you give them, that's why it takes 6 weeks (or longer) from phonecall to delivery.

seriously cant see them finding a piston that's a close match off the shelf, to machine it down to what you want...

Take it you's have never actually bought a custom set of pistons? jus done it the cheap way and machined them all down? lol Dont see why you'd STILL need to machine pistons after buying 4 identical

Try it.......

Over, and out...
iv bought litteraly 100s of set of cosworth pistons loads of je pistons and various other pistons...answer my question yourself as your so clever...i give you a block a crank and a set of rods and i ask you to build my short engine and i want say 7.6 cr...tell me what pistons are you going to order????answer this and then realise how easy it is to order a set of pistons...
Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Try it.......

Over, and out...
i take it youve never ordered a set of jes???when iv ordered them i just pick up the phone and order them from cambridge motorsport to the nearest spec possible and they are with me inside a week...
Old 04-09-2009, 06:44 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

"nearest spec possible" so not EXACTLY what you want?

Tell you what....why dont you jogg on and build some more 600bhp engines seeing as it's so easy!
Old 04-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Simmo
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

It means that instead of having the pistons at the optimum point (normally considered to be about 5thou proud of the block face but different applications will vary) you either let them further into the gasket, or stop them shy of the top of the block to alter the amount of unstroked volume above them.
Thanks Chip

So is that done by machining the block face?...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:00 PM
BANNED
BANNED

"nearest spec possible" so not EXACTLY what you want?

Tell you what....why dont you jogg on and build some more 600bhp engines seeing as it's so easy!
so you cant answer the quetion???if you cant answer the question how the fuck are you going to order these special custom pistons you nob!!!how many big ybs you built???oh yeah obviously none!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 07:28 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Yea, easiest answer is, give JE the dimensions/stroke blah blah blah, tell them what CR you want, and let them make the pistons...seeing as it's their job, or is that too easy?

Anyway, think we've fucked up this guy's thread enough...you not got a YB to build or something?

Last edited by vroooom ptssssh; 04-09-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:50 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Yea, easiest answer is, give JE the dimensions/stroke blah blah blah, tell them what CR you want, and let them make the pistons...seeing as it's their job, or is that too easy?

Anyway, think we've fucked up this guy's thread enough...you not got a YB to build or something?
then when the pistons turn up they protrude 25 thou because the blocks been decked and you didnt know this...then you realise the heads been skimmed a bit more than the customer stated..then the customer changes thier mind on the cams so you need deeper vavle cut outs!!!thats why we often buy a piston to the closest spec because every engine is different and untill you dummy build and measure it al you dont know what pistons to buy...its ok buying a custom spec piston when your using a new block and a very good head casting but even then sometimes you might need to machine the pistons...anyway youl never get it so im not posting on this anymore..we havnt ruined anyones thread as hes just getting someone who knows what they are doing to build it>>>hence having the pistons machined to suit no doubt???
Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting read,in more ways than one .
Old 04-09-2009, 08:03 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
Interesting read,in more ways than one .
come on then spill the beans....has the engine been apart yet???
Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

come on then spill the beans....has the engine been apart yet???
Not yet m8 although it is in two bits,was bought split so i could see head and bores etc.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:22 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Not yet m8 although it is in two bits,was bought split so i could see head and bores etc.
any chance you could put any pics up of pistons in bores???have you measured the head yet??do the pistons come to the top of the bores???tell me to get lost if you want but for some reason i just would love to see know how the cr was achieved as i bet its as iv already stated earlier in the thread..mind you iv seen a few different ways..cheers danny
Old 04-09-2009, 08:26 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

I'll send you a pic once i've taken some m8,hoping to get it done this week.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:30 PM
BANNED
BANNED

I'll send you a pic once i've taken some m8,hoping to get it done this week.
cheers nice one...you know what way your going with it yet???
Old 04-09-2009, 08:33 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Yup,low comp 7.5:1
Old 04-09-2009, 09:15 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

made from ally blocks, right, so if its from a billet the whole of the piston will be machined ? look on the inside of a piston, it has casting marks, the piston company aas chip said start from a block of material, or a piston that is possible to get your reqired spec from.

see my post before, you may learn something, but, i guess im baffling you with bollocks right...
Old 04-09-2009, 09:38 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

i rekon we all no what way that will be now...8.1 anyone????
Yup,low comp 7.5:1

WRONG !! lol

Mr clever dick

oh and why would you accept that you can give a cr spec on a set of pistons without having the remainder of your engine to measure ?

you can simply have the pistons made to the dimensions you require, as we have had done many times.

and if i then buy a set of pistons they will still have the crown thickness i spec'd not the crown thickness your mahles gave you at factory 8:1 - what you have machined off to change the cr on the cheap.

im sure thats what cosworth do whan building their race engine, just find a close piston then machine it down

just remind me where you work so i dont contact you for anything engine related

With all the respec harvey has im sure if all his customers had unlimited budgets he wouldnt be selling heavily machined pistons like you pal.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Chip

Try it.......

Over, and out...
You are TOTALLY missing the point, what Im saying is they MACHINE your pistons, they do not cast them, they MACHINE them, you know MACHINE them the thing that you say is BAD to do to pistons?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
Chip

then when the pistons turn up they protrude 25 thou because the blocks been decked and you didnt know this...then you realise the heads been skimmed a bit more than the customer stated..then the customer changes thier mind on the cams so you need deeper vavle cut outs!!!thats why we often buy a piston to the closest spec because every engine is different and untill you dummy build and measure it al you dont know what pistons to buy...its ok buying a custom spec piston when your using a new block and a very good head casting but even then sometimes you might need to machine the pistons...anyway youl never get it so im not posting on this anymore..we havnt ruined anyones thread as hes just getting someone who knows what they are doing to build it>>>hence having the pistons machined to suit no doubt???

Exactly, until you have done a dry build you cannot possibly know the exact spec of the pistons that you require.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:16 PM
BANNED
BANNED

WRONG !! lol

Mr clever dick

oh and why would you accept that you can give a cr spec on a set of pistons without having the remainder of your engine to measure ?

you can simply have the pistons made to the dimensions you require, as we have had done many times.

and if i then buy a set of pistons they will still have the crown thickness i spec'd not the crown thickness your mahles gave you at factory 8:1 - what you have machined off to change the cr on the cheap.

im sure thats what cosworth do whan building their race engine, just find a close piston then machine it down

just remind me where you work so i dont contact you for anything engine related

With all the respec harvey has im sure if all his customers had unlimited budgets he wouldnt be selling heavily machined pistons like you pal.
if i machined a piston from 8.1 cr down to 7.6 and put valve cut outs into them how much meat do you reckon iv taken off???and if you ordered a set the same spec as my machined ones you reckon youve got more crown depth???as for being wrong with ksa cr,well ididnt state as a fact,i asked a question...as for needing my services,why would you with al your knowledge???how many big power engines have you personaly built???can you buld me one cos al my pistons fall apart in the bores...they are so heavily machined...

Quick Reply: Can high comp pistons be skimmed to low comp ?