General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Can high comp pistons be skimmed to low comp ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)
Official PassionFord Trader
Administrator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by J1mbo
would you run a 10-1 cr engine on the road, that has to do 40,000+ miles ?
Yes. But I would be filling it with Diesel.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:00 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

best thing imho is whip the pistons out, send em to a company to bowl them, dropping the cr to around standard cr mark, then get a chip for it, theres no point running the rally spec engine on the road
I tend to agree. Kev wants 450bhp from his motor now and for that I dont personally wouldnt be speccing 9.8:1 on pump fuel with an ecu that has no thermal management capabilities or active spark lead.

Yes modern vehicles can do it, but not without at least one of the above ECU strategies in place and usually with a more suitable engine geometry.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:24 PM
RS Grant
Made in Scotland

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Dearest Harvey,

Its Kevman from Scotland here, ken... I've got a minted Saph that I want to bang a built engine into and mock Stucos in his joe baxi, ken... So do I need high comp or low comp big man??

CheeRS.

Just copy and paste the above Kev, should get it sorted for you.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 02-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Or get stucos to write it...

Aye Harvey What's happenin eh? eh?

I was eh gonna eh build ma mate an eh engine eh and i says it wis better eh to use it as it was eh di yi no think eh?
But thon kev cunt says eh no i wint tae use it we a spec a'body kens eh? Ken fit i mean eh?
I think he's a dafty and wint you tae tell him he's a cunt and eh that 4x4 is for gays eh.
Pie Beans and chips it is for tea eh........

Stucos
Old 02-09-2009, 01:37 PM
PGT
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
I tend to agree. Kev wants 450bhp from his motor now and for that I dont personally wouldnt be speccing 9.8:1 on pump fuel with an ecu that has no thermal management capabilities or active spark lead.

Yes modern vehicles can do it, but not without at least one of the above ECU strategies in place and usually with a more suitable engine geometry.

Stu,

what is 'active spark lead'? is this another name for using ion sensing to detect knock and then retard spark accordingly (as per saab trionic system for example)
Old 02-09-2009, 02:09 PM
xr2i-carl
PassionFord Post Whore!!

then there weaker mate, bad idea.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RS Grant
Just copy and paste the above Kev, should get it sorted for you.

Cheers,
Grant
Originally Posted by Lambchop
Or get stucos to write it...

Aye Harvey What's happenin eh? eh?

I was eh gonna eh build ma mate an eh engine eh and i says it wis better eh to use it as it was eh di yi no think eh?
But thon kev cunt says eh no i wint tae use it we a spec a'body kens eh? Ken fit i mean eh?
I think he's a dafty and wint you tae tell him he's a cunt and eh that 4x4 is for gays eh.
Pie Beans and chips it is for tea eh........

Stucos

The above are utter fucking class gents i proper pissed myself at them.

Called harvey earlier and have to measure head and pistons then call him back.
Old 02-09-2009, 06:44 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by silky16v
aren't i right in thinking Evo engine are quite high-comp to begin with

The Evo is 8.8-1 and I have run upto 9.5-1 at 600hp on pump fuel and I feel this is about the limit for the evo at that level,
The week link on the cossie is the head gasket more than anything else, the most I have run at high power is 8.7-1 I feel that 9-1 is about the limit on a road engine unless someone wanted me to test the limits.

Mark
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Danny @ Enhanced Performance
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by markk
I think you may need to have a think about that comment and perhaps have a look around at the current vehicle manufacturers cr's VW would be a good place to start
maybe after seeing other top tuners saying the same as me you might want to rethink what your saying???everything stu and mark have said me and jimbo have basicaly already said...9.8 comp ratio is to high on a cossie engine,unless you want to be taking it apart alot..cheers danny
Old 02-09-2009, 08:20 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

Received 105 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by b19 dfp
i think the point hes trying to make is a turbo engine with that comp wont do as many miles as a lower comp one???and thats because it wont.
maybe after seeing other top tuners saying the same as me you might want to rethink what your saying???everything stu and mark have said me and jimbo have basicaly already said...9.8 comp ratio is to high on a cossie engine,unless you want to be taking it apart alot..cheers danny

you may want to re-read what i quoted pal, you stated that

"a turbo engine with that comp wont do as many miles as a lower comp one"

and your still wrong

a bit of an open ended statement really as there are so many variables to what you have said.

if you would have asked similar questions about differing CR 5 years ago, about using in the 8's never mind the 9's you would have been so worng and your engine would melt all day long. how things change.

if it wasnt for the likes of mark shead, people would still be in the low 7's with poor peaky engines. well done to mark for bringing it to the public domain, that it can be done like we knew already.

Last edited by markk; 02-09-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:27 PM
STUCOS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Kev,grant and chop dont think our english friend under stand the slang,chop i cant help my mixed dilect,ken fit i mean min.

chop answer your pm,

cheeRS stu
Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mark, gotta say little do you know what other tuners have been doing for years, i think you mean well dont to mark for making it public what cr he uses
Old 02-09-2009, 08:32 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by STUCOS
Kev,grant and chop dont think our english friend under stand the slang,chop i cant help my mixed dilect,ken fit i mean min.
Cheek coming from a sheep shagger too !!!

cheeRS stu
mark, gotta say little do you know what other tuners have been doing for years, i think you mean well dont to mark for making it public what cr he uses
Your old man was very helpful today jimbo.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
BANNED
BANNED

you may want to re-read what i quoted pal, you stated that

"a turbo engine with that comp wont do as many miles as a lower comp one"

and your still wrong

a bit of an open ended statement really as there are so many variables to what you have said.

if you would have asked similar questions about differing CR 5 years ago, about using in the 8's never mind the 9's you would have been so worng and your engine would melt all day long. how things change.

if it wasnt for the likes of mark shead, people would still be in the low 7's with poor peaky engines. well done to mark for bringing it to the public domain, that it can be done like we knew already.
mate you dont no me or what cars iv had...i had 539 bhp at 8.1 cr in 98 so its got nothing to do with the likes of mark shead...my race car runs 8.6 on pump at 602 bhp so im not saying you cant run hc but theres a massive difference between that and 9.8...me and jimbo have said if you want a reliable highish bhp that will last you need to lower the cr...
Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Skimming pistons is a bad idea, as you will lower the squish band round the edge, if you must lower the CR then do it by machining it not from around the edges.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:36 PM
KSA-Cossie
Professional Waffler

What do you do when "bowling" pistons ?
Old 02-09-2009, 08:40 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Chip
Skimming pistons is a bad idea, as you will lower the squish band round the edge, if you must lower the CR then do it by machining it not from around the edges.
yeah of course but i bet they are flat tops probably accralites and i bet the head has been skimmed alot...if so just bowl the pistons and it will be fine...iv done this a few times on similar engines...cheers danny
Old 02-09-2009, 08:44 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by KSA-Cossie
What do you do when "bowling" pistons ?
its basicaly like looking at a std piston but making the bowl in the centre to the disred depth for the cr wanted..
Old 02-09-2009, 08:49 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

having had a few 'well known' tuners engines apart i have an idea of what some tuners have been doing at certain specs pal

mate you dont no me or what cars iv had...i had 539 bhp at 8.1 cr in 98 so its got nothing to do with the likes of mark shead...my race car runs 8.6 on pump at 602 bhp so im not saying you cant run hc but theres a massive difference between that and 9.8...me and jimbo have said if you want a reliable highish bhp that will last you need to lower the cr...
with all due respect mate - your right i dont know you, nor do i need to.

I think the OP now knows what he wants to do, having spoken to the person who will be doing the work for him
Old 02-09-2009, 08:55 PM
BANNED
BANNED

having had a few 'well known' tuners engines apart i have an idea of what some tuners have been doing at certain specs pal

with all due respect mate - your right i dont know you, nor do i need to.

I think the OP now knows what he wants to do, having spoken to the person who will be doing the work for him
yeah jimbos dad!!!or atleast on his advice....
Old 02-09-2009, 08:59 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

its basicaly like looking at a std piston but making the bowl in the centre to the disred depth for the cr wanted..

this is basically what you do, valve cut outs can be made to different depths to help drop the cr without taking to much from the "bowl" or the middle of the piston.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator
Administrator

No need to argue chaps.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:02 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

i run 6.9.0 its pretty low comp kev but its responsive enough at low revs now its mapped well

everyone thinks low comp means crap response,i dont believe that to be true anymore
Old 02-09-2009, 09:48 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

I personally think the lc v hc has been done to death on here, there are those who love their lc, and those who will always go high/higher comp. end of really.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:50 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

i agree, at the end of the day it dosnt matter what spec the engine is, if it goes out there and wins, then its a damn good engine !
Old 02-09-2009, 10:25 PM
BANNED
BANNED

yeah ok your right..if it works then great but the original post was asking what way to go and i rekon we all no what way that will be now...8.1 anyone????
Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The way to go imo is if you want to use that engine, get some pistons that are lower comp to start with and sell those on ebay!

I dont see why lc engines are laggy/less responsive, I'd say that's down to the map/cams/turbo
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by vroooom ptssssh
The way to go imo is if you want to use that engine, get some pistons that are lower comp to start with and sell those on ebay!

I dont see why lc engines are laggy/less responsive, I'd say that's down to the map/cams/turbo
The reason they tend to be less responsive off boost is that you simply cant get enough timing into an LC engine to reach the same cylinder pressures that you can on a higher comp engine

Anyone tuning an N/A engine (which is what a turbo engine is while its off boost essentially) will always look to increase the compression ratio as a general rule.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:14 PM
BANNED
BANNED

whats the point in selling a set of pistons that are matched to a set of bores already when you only have to have said pistons machined???half of everones engines on here would of had thier pistons machined for thier engines anyway...as they are hc ones they will almost defo have enough crown deck on them for machining so no probs...unless the cr has been achieved by decking the head loads...
cheers danny
Old 02-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Chip

Most pistons tend to have about 6mm crown at the thinnest point IME, so I wouldnt be so sure that high comp ones can withstand loads of skimming automatically just cause the face of the crown sits higher, it needs measuring to know.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:51 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Chip
Most pistons tend to have about 6mm crown at the thinnest point IME, so I wouldnt be so sure that high comp ones can withstand loads of skimming automatically just cause the face of the crown sits higher, it needs measuring to know.
normaly at that cr they use flat tops and sometimes accralite either ones will have 6mm+ so no probs...for al we know like iv already said it could be an engine thats had a highly skimmed head but no matter what its not going to be a set of pistons that cant be machined to get required cr..mind you iv seen pistons on 92mm bores that finish short in the cylinder with heavily skimmed head...didnt like that route and if that was the case id start again...wished i could see some pics with head of cos then id no straight away.cheers danny
Old 03-09-2009, 06:12 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Chip, I believe running as high a comp ratio as you can get away with is the right answer for the application, boost, fuel etc if your on race fuel then higher comp and more ignition is fine, but this is a road car which will prob see 98ron at best, so IMO lower CR is the way to go in this instance..I dont think a low comp engine is any less responsive, look at Rapidcossie's for instance, his was on full boost by something like 3000 or 3500 rpm and it had a v.low CR...also never heard that car detonate once!

b19dfp,...if they are 'race' pistons im sure they will be as light as possible with not a lot of meat on them, machining a piston isnt the right way to do it...if its got a thick crown yea it's an option to machine a dish into them...also you mention why sell the pistons matched to the bores... err well you can get custom pistons made to whatever size/spec you desire

I dont know enough about it really to say right or wrong, only what I've heard/learned from my short experience in these things, but some of the things people come out with are just mental
Old 03-09-2009, 07:31 PM
BANNED
BANNED

Chip, I believe running as high a comp ratio as you can get away with is the right answer for the application, boost, fuel etc if your on race fuel then higher comp and more ignition is fine, but this is a road car which will prob see 98ron at best, so IMO lower CR is the way to go in this instance..I dont think a low comp engine is any less responsive, look at Rapidcossie's for instance, his was on full boost by something like 3000 or 3500 rpm and it had a v.low CR...also never heard that car detonate once!

b19dfp,...if they are 'race' pistons im sure they will be as light as possible with not a lot of meat on them, machining a piston isnt the right way to do it...if its got a thick crown yea it's an option to machine a dish into them...also you mention why sell the pistons matched to the bores... err well you can get custom pistons made to whatever size/spec you desire

I dont know enough about it really to say right or wrong, only what I've heard/learned from my short experience in these things, but some of the things people come out with are just mental
er da...this engine has already run hence the pistons and bores being matched...and iv built lots of ybs so believe me 9 out of 10 pistons will have enough meat..by the way 9 out of 10 cossie owners with a modified engine have already had thier pistons machined..they dont come out of a box ready for any app...
Old 03-09-2009, 07:39 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Ok, you sound like THE MAN when it comes to building engines.....

although I dont see why he cant get custom pistons just because the engine has run with the high comp pistons in it?.....whatever you say though as your clearly an expert!

9 out of 10 modified cossie engines with machined pistons uhu....
Old 03-09-2009, 07:53 PM
BANNED
BANNED

although I dont see why he cant get custom pistons just because the engine has run with the high comp pistons in it?.....whatever you say though as your clearly an expert!

if the engine has done some mileage each bore would have wear consistant with each piston hence why you number each piston when removing from said cylinder...lets say you were running 4 tho skirt clearnce when new and now after a few k in miles number 3 and 4 have worn a bit more,you wouldnt wan to through new pistons in those bores...you could have it line bored but why go to al the trouble when you can just machine the pistons???how many people run valve cut outs??how many people run low comp like col cos???them pistons have been machined!!!!if youve had your block decked then sometimes youl have to machine the pistons...dont worry soon enough youl know as much as me...
Old 03-09-2009, 07:59 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

would you fancy shelling out another 7,8,900 pound for custom pistons when youve just bought an engine, not to mention nearly all custom pistons arnt going to be exact so will also need machine work done, thats another £100+ so you could be up to a grand,

then there bore the block, but, is it on nikasil liners, is it at its limit of boring ? maybe a hone would do ! theres so many things that come into play, the engine needs stripping, looking at by someone who knows what theyre up to and making a desicion.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:04 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

would you fancy shelling out another 7,8,900 pound for custom pistons when youve just bought an engine, not to mention nearly all custom pistons arnt going to be exact so will also need machine work done, thats another £100+ so you could be up to a grand,

£600 from JE actually

why wouldnt a custom CNC machined piston be exact?

machine work? what...a hone?

The guy asked if pistons can be machined, aye they can...is it right? NO

should he buy low comp,....IMO YES

amount of shite that's posted on here these days is un-real, i'll leave you's to spout amongst yourselfs
Old 03-09-2009, 08:15 PM
BANNED
BANNED

then there bore the block, but, is it on nikasil liners, is it at its limit of boring ? maybe a hone would do ! theres so many things that come into play, the engine needs stripping, looking at by someone who knows what theyre up to and making a desicion.
hi ya jimbo,u normaly no me as 600 bhp escos but i rememberd my old password so im back to b19 dfp...any way its funny how we are reading from the same page ah??imagine if we couldnt machine pistons???we would have to give up tomo...mind you we could pick up the phone and ring cambridge motor sport and buy some je pistons that could work for any app we ever needed...lol cheers danny
Old 03-09-2009, 08:37 PM
J1mbo
B1mbo

£600 from JE actually

why wouldnt a custom CNC machined piston be exact?

machine work? what...a hone?

The guy asked if pistons can be machined, aye they can...is it right? NO

should he buy low comp,....IMO YES

amount of shite that's posted on here these days is un-real, i'll leave you's to spout amongst yourselfs
amount if shite thats posted on here these days ! pmsl !

you order a set of custom pistons, go for it, put them straight in your engine, and watch them hit the head, every time, piston manafacturers will normally make the pistons slightly bigger, you can machine them down, cant put more back on them

every tuner on the forum and in the world most likely machine pistons day in day out,

we order custom sets, but do you take the chance that the company are going to be right ? on a 25k 800odd bhp build ? nope didnt think so,

dont know if you know, but when building engines you leave certain abouts of piston out of the block, 6, 8 , 10 thou for example, the custom pistons arnt going to be within thousands of an inch.

also what if the block is faced and slightly more was taken off the further towards you get to the back of the block,

each piston is going to need a different amount taking off the top to be the same as the others,

but then, when your taking material off the top, your loosing area in that bowl, therefore raising the compression ratio, so now you have to take some material out of the bowl area to compensate for that,

custom pistons, WONT go straight in

jim

hi ya jimbo,u normaly no me as 600 bhp escos but i rememberd my old password so im back to b19 dfp...any way its funny how we are reading from the same page ah??imagine if we couldnt machine pistons???we would have to give up tomo...mind you we could pick up the phone and ring cambridge motor sport and buy some je pistons that could work for any app we ever needed...lol cheers danny
i did think it was you mate lol, you always end with cheers danny !
Old 03-09-2009, 08:41 PM
markk
10K+ Poster!!

machining pistons is always a cheaper alternative, not always the best alternative, if you are so much the pro b19, then you would recommend the correct custom piston to suit the spec that would not need machining if you have given the correct spec, but then again, you would just get harvey to build it for you from what i can gather on here.

Quick Reply: Can high comp pistons be skimmed to low comp ?