General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

English bulldogs - anyone got one?

Search this Thread

Old 28-08-2009, 11:49 AM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default English bulldogs - anyone got one?

Am really interested in getting one, done a bit of research on them, owning them etc, and wondered if anyone had any experience with one? we have no children yet, but have read they are good with children and people? any help would be appreciated!
Old 28-08-2009, 11:53 AM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I have Victorian Bulldogs same tempermant etc and they are very very child friendly. I love English ones but health problems put me of. Very hard to find a healthy one. I know of 3 and their vets bill run into the thousands.
Old 28-08-2009, 11:57 AM
*beddows*
Part of the Furniture

i bought one last week you have just got to make sure that you find a healthy one and make sure you see their parents and dont let them get too fat
Old 28-08-2009, 12:04 PM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

beddows, how much di you pay, i have been looking at the kennel club website etc and have noticed breathing difficulties always get mentioned. surely if they have been vet checked etc, they should be healthy?
Old 28-08-2009, 12:05 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by *beddows*
i bought one last week you have just got to make sure that you find a healthy one and make sure you see their parents and dont let them get too fat
Agree on seing their parents but you can't just go on that. You don't know what past problems they have had unless you get an honest breeder. Try and do some research on the parents, grandparents and further down the line etc. All this information will be available to you. For a healthy one your looking at two grand.

If you find one and get me the kennell name i can possible find out there past etc.
Old 28-08-2009, 12:09 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by K3V HA
beddows, how much di you pay, i have been looking at the kennel club website etc and have noticed breathing difficulties always get mentioned. surely if they have been vet checked etc, they should be healthy?
Most have breathing problems, there faces are so squashed there airways struggle, hence they don't walk far etc. Reason i got a Victorian they can breathe. English Bulldogs came about by the Edwardians in breeding the Victorian shape and that's how the English was created.

My two so you get an idea, look very similar but longer legs and longer snout, this is the shape they inbred to get the English.

Old 28-08-2009, 12:23 PM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

Beautiful John, the well behaved then?
Old 28-08-2009, 12:29 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Beautiful John, the well behaved then?
Alfie the eldest is the most relaxed, chilled dog i can think of, so gently but not to look at. Most nights he will jump onto the sofa and lay over my chest what does get uncomfy weighing in at 5 stone lol. The little one Rose is just nuts but expected as a pup, though she is well trained already and very inteligent when she wants.

Good thing about them they ignore all other dogs, they see another dog and they put there heads up with an air of confidence we have nothing to prove, then have a sly look around when the other dogs gone. You will find this with all Bulldogs. Though if a dog did attack them as one has in the past they soon know about it. Also a good burglar deterent as one found out once. One tried to break in the bathroom window ( bungalow ) and Alfie nearly smashed the glass trying to get to him. Will protect you till they die is part of their nature with the bull baiting etc.
Old 28-08-2009, 12:31 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Have a read of this a very good article published recently.

http://coldwetnose.blogspot.com/2009...that-wasp.html
Old 28-08-2009, 12:31 PM
K3V HA
PassionFord Post Troll

good to know, ive read that they'll be faithful to their owner many a time. Also, quite boisterous till they mentally mature. Cheers for info pal.
Old 28-08-2009, 12:38 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Also, quite boisterous till they mentally mature. Cheers for info pal.
I should have said Alfie was very boisterous till about a year old, then just clicked one day to how he is now.
Old 28-08-2009, 01:41 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

check out www.champdogs.co.uk
Old 28-08-2009, 04:14 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Weve got a bully, albert is his name, pics have been on before but heres one anyway

we got him at about 9 month old, his 1st owners got him to show (hes from the bullbarmys kenel -http://www.bullbarmys.co.uk ) but she said his head wasnt big enough so they couldnt use him, we paid 1300 I think at the time, he was massive then and he know weighs in at 4 stone. We have 3 kids, 6,10,11 the youngest squeezes his ears and he just takes it all day long. He sleeps in a cage as thats what he was brought up in, he loves it as its his own space that no one invades, its massive, I can get in it so its not cruel or anything. I once purposely went in the cage to wind him up and push him to see how far he would go and he wouldnt snap back, hes so calm its great.
Now, health, albert isnt as bad as some others we have come across but he has his problems. 1st, his eyelids, he started getting ingrowing eyelashes so he had to have the eye lids trimmed back (Ł400), this is very common, insurance is a must with these. He always gets sores between his toes, due to them been so heavy on the front, the saliva makes them worse and its hard work making a bulldog understand that licking his paws isnt helping! He malts alot, little hairs all over the house, van etc. Exercise is upsetting, he wants to go for miles but cant. The vet described it best, he said breathe through a straw and then try running, you'll soon stop. The dogs windpipe is so small you wouldnt believe, when he yawns and you look in its about 1cm square!!! Its not their fitness thats the issue, they just cant get enough oxygen in to feed the muscles. The wrinkles on their face that everyone loves get sweaty and need to be wiped out daily, this is a must as it gets a build up of matter which irritates them and you find him dragging his face down the door step to scratch it which end up in him cutting his face! farts stink, every day he wakes up and coughs a good ammount of spit on the floor they dont lick their balls as they cant reach!
Day to day hes a treasure, Ive always had staffys but ive got to say his character is even better than theirs he loves you like mad, and just longs to sit with you or on you. Its awful leaving for work in the morning, puppy eyes and all that. They sleep alot but always wake up to give you love when you walk past. Health is an issue but its not hard, just keep them clean and away from pollen etc to avoid aggrivation. Hes never gone for another dog, he scares them with his looks which confuses him but hes no trouble causer. Get one
any questions fire away....
Old 28-08-2009, 04:20 PM
steviecossie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really lovely dogs but with what you guy's are saying about health problems etc it
would put me off a wee bit.
Old 28-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I always thougth english bulldogs were the ones with the long faces,the pics in here are british bulldogs?
Old 28-08-2009, 04:54 PM
StephenC
..BS Motorsport..

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

your thinking english bull terrier, like a staffy but bit bigger and long nose

Last edited by StephenC; 28-08-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 28-08-2009, 05:36 PM
MATT222
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

there great dogs have a look on www.britishbulldogsforum.co.uk

Old 28-08-2009, 08:16 PM
john
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by StephenC
Weve got a bully, albert is his name, pics have been on before but heres one anyway

we got him at about 9 month old, his 1st owners got him to show (hes from the bullbarmys kenel -http://www.bullbarmys.co.uk ) but she said his head wasnt big enough so they couldnt use him, we paid 1300 I think at the time, he was massive then and he know weighs in at 4 stone. We have 3 kids, 6,10,11 the youngest squeezes his ears and he just takes it all day long. He sleeps in a cage as thats what he was brought up in, he loves it as its his own space that no one invades, its massive, I can get in it so its not cruel or anything. I once purposely went in the cage to wind him up and push him to see how far he would go and he wouldnt snap back, hes so calm its great.
Now, health, albert isnt as bad as some others we have come across but he has his problems. 1st, his eyelids, he started getting ingrowing eyelashes so he had to have the eye lids trimmed back (Ł400), this is very common, insurance is a must with these. He always gets sores between his toes, due to them been so heavy on the front, the saliva makes them worse and its hard work making a bulldog understand that licking his paws isnt helping! He malts alot, little hairs all over the house, van etc. Exercise is upsetting, he wants to go for miles but cant. The vet described it best, he said breathe through a straw and then try running, you'll soon stop. The dogs windpipe is so small you wouldnt believe, when he yawns and you look in its about 1cm square!!! Its not their fitness thats the issue, they just cant get enough oxygen in to feed the muscles. The wrinkles on their face that everyone loves get sweaty and need to be wiped out daily, this is a must as it gets a build up of matter which irritates them and you find him dragging his face down the door step to scratch it which end up in him cutting his face! farts stink, every day he wakes up and coughs a good ammount of spit on the floor they dont lick their balls as they cant reach!
Day to day hes a treasure, Ive always had staffys but ive got to say his character is even better than theirs he loves you like mad, and just longs to sit with you or on you. Its awful leaving for work in the morning, puppy eyes and all that. They sleep alot but always wake up to give you love when you walk past. Health is an issue but its not hard, just keep them clean and away from pollen etc to avoid aggrivation. Hes never gone for another dog, he scares them with his looks which confuses him but hes no trouble causer. Get one
any questions fire away....
Best i have heard one be described. This is a truthful owner, mine down to a tee but less fit. If people really want one is it for the looks or for what a bulldog should be ? Fit healthy and able to run ? Or a dog for the show ring ?

Is a shame.
Old 28-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

The bulldog is a breed of dog i have always always wished for! hopefully one day ill be able to home one!

Let us know if you get one Kev!