General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

harvey gibbs 450bhp engines are they good?

Search this Thread

Old 23-08-2009, 11:10 PM
SiZT
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaw79
seems like harvey is the man cheers!

Classic Passionford - 4 pages to answer one question
Old 23-08-2009, 11:33 PM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW

What a thread, these bring the best out of people.

MAD has proved they can go the quickest, Harvey has proved his engines can take proper punisment on a daily/weekly basis.

As the saying goes,,,

Different strokes for different folks. Their is no denying both are good at what they do.

[close thread]
Old 24-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I personally would feel quite happy with either an MAD or a SCS engine in my car thrashing hell out of it.

TBH in terms of the bits that take abuse, like the crank/rods/pistons, I would doubt there is a significant difference between them anyway as they'll both be using the same suppliers like Arrow/DKE.

Bottom line is though, I wouldnt expect any 400bhp per litre engine to be reliable in the way that some people think an engine should be, ie its not going to do a couple of hundred K miles, and the harder you use it the sooner its going to wear out.
Old 24-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by totalbhp
Good reply dave maybe you should have stated who builds the biggest bhp engine that stays together its obviously not yours 1st time or second time !!!
Surely somebody with as much experience as yourself would understand that component failures happen from time to time despite the best possible engine building practices?
Have you never had a turkish block with enough torque to make one fail, or had a seal fail?

Those sort of things are unfortunate, but unavoidable IMHO, everyone has issues, look at Andy with his lifter shim at TOTB, it doesnt mean you made a bad engine, its just part and parcel of pushing the envelope all the time that there will be the old glitch surely?
Or Mike Rainbird with the nose of his crank snapping off over at the ring, it's hardly your fault as an engine builder so Im sure Mark wouldnt come on here and slag you off because a component you bought from what should be a reputable company failed, as its obvioulsy not something that you could have done anything about, just like with Dave's block which was bought in good faith from a reputable company too.
Old 24-08-2009, 12:28 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Surely somebody with as much experience as yourself would understand that component failures happen from time to time despite the best possible engine building practices?
Have you never had a turkish block with enough torque to make one fail, or had a seal fail?

Those sort of things are unfortunate, but unavoidable IMHO, everyone has issues, look at Andy with his lifter shim at TOTB, it doesnt mean you made a bad engine, its just part and parcel of pushing the envelope all the time that there will be the old glitch surely?
Or Mike Rainbird with the nose of his crank snapping off over at the ring, it's hardly your fault as an engine builder so Im sure Mark wouldnt come on here and slag you off because a component you bought from what should be a reputable company failed, as its obvioulsy not something that you could have done anything about, just like with Dave's block which was bought in good faith from a reputable company too.

As Chip said really, thought that was quite an unprofessional comment to be honest.
Old 24-08-2009, 10:22 PM
Dannn
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by James90RS
As Chip said really, thought that was quite an unprofessional comment to be honest.
Unprofessional and SCS...never....

When it comes to Mark Shead you have to remember he is considered the black sheep by the inner circle of cossie tuners. I don't think they like him very much and I'm sure they would love to see him out of business....but all these years later he is still around doing his thing!lol
Old 26-08-2009, 11:04 AM
jaw79
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry lads for that post i aint that good on computers hence why i have taken so long with reply. i am realy pleasd with the engine and harveys services. i just needed peoples views on harvey. i have rang harvey up and spoke to him instead of replying to him on here! as for only bringing up 3600 that was because my mint saff cos caught on fire while it was up for sale so lost out big time 3000 insurance payout plus had to take 700 exess great. also had to pay for road repairs because car burnt the road surface. i did not mess harvey about i went up to him with 3600 in cash every penny that i culd get at the time well worth it tough looking forward now to paying it off getting it on the road and haveing some fun.