General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

zetec turbo, inlet manifold options?

Search this Thread

Old 13-08-2009, 09:31 AM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default zetec turbo, inlet manifold options?

i'm running a 2.0 blacktop zetec turbo with a hybrid nissan T28, 19psi, ported head, megasquirt yada yada. circa 300bhp

the car has the short ratio mtx75 gearbox, so acceleration is fairly sharp low down

its currently got the RS1800i H.O. inlet manifold. this manifold has fairly long runners (which i understand give more power at low-mid revs)

because of the combo of the turbo, gearbox, and inlet the power band seems to give loads of oomph at low-mid revs but at higher revs its quick but not silly quick (as i would like it lol)

would an inlet mani's with shorter runners move the power band further up? or am i better looking at different cams?

if inlet mani is the answer, what other options have i got? rover turbo inlet, FRS inlet or what?
Old 13-08-2009, 09:56 AM
creator
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

bigger turbo
Old 13-08-2009, 05:36 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

as above, are you still running 19psi at the top end of the rev range??

my low boost setting is 19psi all the way to the limiter (7200) and its fucking scary pulling them revs. mine just pulls to the limiter so fast i wouldn't want any more on the road as its enough to leave a carrera 4 dead and there not slow.
and thats with a standard head and cams
Old 13-08-2009, 05:39 PM
creator

never seen your car out on the road garry only ever seen at shows on quater mile and yes its nuts lol would love to see it on the road making big expensive cars look silly
Old 13-08-2009, 05:48 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by creator
never seen your car out on the road garry only ever seen at shows on quater mile and yes its nuts lol would love to see it on the road making big expensive cars look silly
mine is no track car mate its a full on road car that gets used every day with all its standard crap still in it and a child seat in the back ,didnt you see it at ford fair it was full of shit then lol and still did a 5.04 to 60.
Old 13-08-2009, 05:50 PM
creator

lol yea i did see it down there mate with a whole load of shit in it i think the only time i havnt seen it full of stuff was when i got that gearbox off you it looked pretty empty then lol.
Old 13-08-2009, 05:53 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

lol yea i did see it down there mate with a whole load of shit in it i think the only time i havnt seen it full of stuff was when i got that gearbox off you it looked pretty empty then lol.
SHIT!!! i didnt even no it was you that bought the box off me mate, i was really ill that day and couldnt get out of bed
Old 13-08-2009, 05:57 PM
paulc18rst
D6 COS

Originally Posted by percybigun
i'm running a 2.0 blacktop zetec turbo with a hybrid nissan T28, 19psi, ported head, megasquirt yada yada. circa 300bhp

the car has the short ratio mtx75 gearbox, so acceleration is fairly sharp low down

its currently got the RS1800i H.O. inlet manifold. this manifold has fairly long runners (which i understand give more power at low-mid revs)

because of the combo of the turbo, gearbox, and inlet the power band seems to give loads of oomph at low-mid revs but at higher revs its quick but not silly quick (as i would like it lol)

would an inlet mani's with shorter runners move the power band further up? or am i better looking at different cams?

if inlet mani is the answer, what other options have i got? rover turbo inlet, FRS inlet or what?
used to have a rover turbo inlet with a frst throttlebody... then changed the whole lot with a sweedish inlet plenum and cosworth throttlebody... it turned out that the top end performance was much much better! !
Old 13-08-2009, 05:57 PM
creator

yea it was me mate.traveled up and only got to see your back bumper lol nah your other half said you was badly mate.keep trying to find you at the shows but only ever find car without you lol.

danny
Old 13-08-2009, 06:02 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by paulc18rst
used to have a rover turbo inlet with a frst throttlebody... then changed the whole lot with a sweedish inlet plenum and cosworth throttlebody... it turned out that the top end performance was much much better! !
so what times has this done mate ?? is it on a standard head ? and what power is it ?? sorry for all the questions lol
Old 13-08-2009, 07:11 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Received 119 Likes on 101 Posts

there are a few options to better your engine , first the power limit of the rs1800 is about the 320bhp mark before it starts to struggle , then theres the rover inlet which is good for 360bhp , then theres the area six zero loss intake which has over 1000 hours on a dynoflow flow bench and is provern for over 500+bhp but flows equally across all cylinders , then theres the new jenvey turbo inlet which is good for 500+bhp and flows equally across all cylinders but youve got the option of adding separate throttle bodies which will make your engine alot more responsive
hope this helps

cheers paul
Old 13-08-2009, 07:15 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i like the look of the area six inlet but i just couldn't justify the price of it over the rover item imo
Old 13-08-2009, 07:19 PM
Gaz 88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lets see some pics of this car then!!
Old 13-08-2009, 07:20 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Gaz 88
lets see some pics of this car then!!
what car ??
Old 13-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Gaz 88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crazycage
what car ??
the one thats running this lot

the car has the short ratio mtx75 gearbox
Old 13-08-2009, 08:07 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

i like the look of the area six inlet but i just couldn't justify the price of it over the rover item imo
what £650 for the area six inlet , i personally think thats a bargain when you look at the quality of it , thick walled alloy for high boost , jenvet inlet manifold section and trumpets and as i said it not only looks good its the only zetec inlet i know of thats had over 1000 hours of testing on proper flow bench equipment which he brought himself to get the best results.
he says that if you bolted this on to a 300bhp engine you would see 50/60 bhp at the same boost with more fuel to match the extra air , thats why he never used to sell them to anyone else unless you had work done by him previously, but now hes selling them to anyone BONUS!
Old 13-08-2009, 08:11 PM
creator

Originally Posted by zetaboostboy522bhp
what £650 for the area six inlet , i personally think thats a bargain when you look at the quality of it , thick walled alloy for high boost , jenvet inlet manifold section and trumpets and as i said it not only looks good its the only zetec inlet i know of thats had over 1000 hours of testing on proper flow bench equipment which he brought himself to get the best results.
he says that if you bolted this on to a 300bhp engine you would see 50/60 bhp at the same boost with more fuel to match the extra air , thats why he never used to sell them to anyone else unless you had work done by him previously, but now hes selling them to anyone BONUS!
you talking about ian paul? he still selling these inlets is he? whats the time on making one of these?and what throttlebody can you use on them?
Old 13-08-2009, 10:40 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

you talking about ian paul? He still selling these inlets is he? Whats the time on making one of these?and what throttlebody can you use on them?
hey up matey , i dont know what the time scale is but yes he is still making them , they are fabricated to fit any throttle body . If you want me to have a word with him for you then i will as one of my mates want one so i will phone him on monday

cheers paul
Old 13-08-2009, 10:52 PM
creator

aup paul are they fabricated for any fuel rail to?im really really intrested in one but at the moment i havnt got the money for one.also in a bit of a dilema as im getting chucked out the unit where my car is as they need it back so looking for another one asap.but if you could get some info for me id be more than grateful mate.

danny
Old 14-08-2009, 06:39 AM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

dont want to sound a twat but do you want to back the claim up ??i really dont think that inlet wont give me 60 horse power lol,
ill offer my car with rover inlet to go onto any set of rollers you want,run it up see what its like then we bolt on one of his inlets for a hour or so and if i see any were near 50-60 hp gain at the same boost then ill buy it there and then???????????? or maybe garath would lend his for a day ??
Old 14-08-2009, 08:09 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

dont want to sound a twat but do you want to back the claim up ??i really dont think that inlet wont give me 60 horse power lol,
ill offer my car with rover inlet to go onto any set of rollers you want,run it up see what its like then we bolt on one of his inlets for a hour or so and if i see any were near 50-60 hp gain at the same boost then ill buy it there and then???????????? or maybe garath would lend his for a day ??
hi mate no you dont sound a twat thats what ian told me and also said this is what makes his engines stand out from the crowd , my engine for example made 522bhp and i payed for a 460bhp engine . also ian personally brought a superflow flow bench to test head flow and inlet flow and the amount of air his inlet flows is far more then the rover which he used first to build the ultimate zetec turbo (people forget that bit aswell), so he wouldnt of spent all those hours developing this new inlet if the rover one was good enough!
sunny engine was the first to get close to 400 bhp then they bolted the custom built one and engine power was at 460bhp. i would of lent you mine if had still got it but it sold 5 mins after advertising it on here. one thing you should know about ian , that for a home tuner when he makes a claim theres been alot of research and development and testing in this case has gone into it. theres people on here that slate ian and his work (not you mate your asking a valid question) and forget that it was a hobby for ian and not a full time business , if half the so called tuners knew half of what ian knows then we would all get good , reiable , realistic engines and conversions.
one thing i will say is whos built the most powerful zetec turbos in the country and broke records for dragging , top speed etc = ian howell
and now ask yourself why nobody comes close to getting the same sort of power and theres some very well specced car out there now
what missing? i know ian howells knowledge!!!!

i would ask garath to lend you his and get it on the rollers

cheers paul
Old 14-08-2009, 11:18 AM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

thanks for the replies, thats what i needed to know. pics of my car in this album, its a mk1 mondeo (i didnt mention this before because normally if i do, i get no replies!) :

https://passionford.com/forum/album.php?albumid=852

it does hold 19psi boost to 6.5k redline yes, it does need the map looking at since i went from a normal t28 up to a hybrid turbo technics t28

also my exhaust system isnt brilliant, its a 2.5" system from a v6 mondeo (only one silencer and no cat) which has a nasty bend at the back and an awful backbox which i will be changing soon hopefully.

its one of the few things i never got sorted before the recession kicked in and fooked my finances up
Old 14-08-2009, 03:51 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

hi mate no you dont sound a twat thats what ian told me and also said this is what makes his engines stand out from the crowd , my engine for example made 522bhp and i payed for a 460bhp engine . also ian personally brought a superflow flow bench to test head flow and inlet flow and the amount of air his inlet flows is far more then the rover which he used first to build the ultimate zetec turbo (people forget that bit aswell), so he wouldnt of spent all those hours developing this new inlet if the rover one was good enough!
sunny engine was the first to get close to 400 bhp then they bolted the custom built one and engine power was at 460bhp. i would of lent you mine if had still got it but it sold 5 mins after advertising it on here. one thing you should know about ian , that for a home tuner when he makes a claim theres been alot of research and development and testing in this case has gone into it. theres people on here that slate ian and his work (not you mate your asking a valid question) and forget that it was a hobby for ian and not a full time business , if half the so called tuners knew half of what ian knows then we would all get good , reiable , realistic engines and conversions.
one thing i will say is whos built the most powerful zetec turbos in the country and broke records for dragging , top speed etc = ian howell
and now ask yourself why nobody comes close to getting the same sort of power and theres some very well specced car out there now
what missing? i know ian howells knowledge!!!!

i would ask garath to lend you his and get it on the rollers

cheers paul
i have never slated Ian and have spoke to him a few times, i got my valve springs from him last year . my inlet isn't a standard rover item and has never been on my car in standard form so i don't know how they perform !! i just cant see me getting 60 hp at the same boost on my set up with his inlet.
Old 14-08-2009, 04:10 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

has anyone got a pic of one of these area 6 inlets, so i can see how big they are to see if it would fit my engine bay (ford made the mk1 mondeo engine bay fairly cramped)
Old 14-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Rick
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

To be honest, that turbo isn't the most condusive to top end power.
Old 14-08-2009, 04:40 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

i will go for a bigger turbo eventually, but i havent had this one on long (and it was a total bitch to fit so it'll be on a while yet!) i just wondered if there was any mileage in going for a different inlet for now.
Old 14-08-2009, 04:46 PM
rst-g
ZETEC TURBO

Originally Posted by percybigun
has anyone got a pic of one of these area 6 inlets, so i can see how big they are to see if it would fit my engine bay (ford made the mk1 mondeo engine bay fairly cramped)
he is a pic of mine mate if it helps??
Name:  photo-142.jpg
Views: 1912
Size:  101.5 KB
Name:  photo-180.jpg
Views: 2201
Size:  88.9 KB

Last edited by rst-g; 14-08-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Old 14-08-2009, 04:53 PM
percybigun
Twistin me melon man

thanks for that, its not too big so it would fit on mine no bother.

thats deffo on my shopping list for the future

what fuel rail and injectors work with it?

Last edited by percybigun; 14-08-2009 at 04:57 PM.
Old 14-08-2009, 05:18 PM
Liams
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Name:  cortinaenginebay.jpg
Views: 2058
Size:  45.3 KB

Fuel rail comes with the inlet, I had to use the pencil type injectors in mine. Siemens

I had the headers made a bit longer on mine as I had the space, and made the opoosite way round!!

Was out mapping last saturday, ended up peaking 2.4 bar of boost
Old 14-08-2009, 07:31 PM
RUBY123
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i asked ian/areasix about the manifolds ages ago and he told me he was no longer making them as they take to long can anyone confirm he still sells them
Old 14-08-2009, 08:15 PM
creator

paul (zetaboostboy522bhp) will tell you for definate mate
Old 15-08-2009, 06:09 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

paul (zetaboostboy522bhp) will tell you for definate mate
ian will still make inlet manifolds , he doesnt make the over the gearbox exhaust manifolds anymore
Old 15-08-2009, 06:33 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

i have never slated Ian and have spoke to him a few times, i got my valve springs from him last year . my inlet isn't a standard rover item and has never been on my car in standard form so i don't know how they perform !! i just cant see me getting 60 hp at the same boost on my set up with his inlet.
i know you havent slated ian thats why i put your asking a valid question on my above post! but other people do which is just silly really when no ones come close to getting the same power out of an engine and breaking records , just look at paul rileys fiesta thats been off the road for 5 years and its still the fastest fwd ford. also sorry if i miss understood iam on about a gain of 50/60 bhp over a standard rover inlet fitted to a zetec , if youve modded it by making a alloy intake section then you most probably would not see the sort of gains ian was on about as your making the same style as ians , then it all comes down to the techy stuff about flow etc which is where the flow bench is needed but i would still say you would see a good gain in bhp and the same improvement in throttle response, hope that clears things up as i was certainly not having a go as i would rather not discuss or talk on this forum than slag other peoples work off as iam not like that so i would like to say a big well done for your home built zetec turbo , youve found what works for you and fuck what anyone else thinks but its doesnt mean it cant still be improved upon
so onwards and upwards

cheers paul
Old 15-08-2009, 06:38 AM
zetaboostboy522bhp

Originally Posted by Liams

Fuel rail comes with the inlet, I had to use the pencil type injectors in mine. Siemens

I had the headers made a bit longer on mine as I had the space, and made the opoosite way round!!

Was out mapping last saturday, ended up peaking 2.4 bar of boost
what bhp did she do then mate at that level of boost , send me a pm if you want , love the car by the way and nice to see it finally getting there

cheers paul
Old 15-08-2009, 08:11 AM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i know you havent slated ian thats why i put your asking a valid question on my above post! but other people do which is just silly really when no ones come close to getting the same power out of an engine and breaking records , just look at paul rileys fiesta thats been off the road for 5 years and its still the fastest fwd ford. also sorry if i miss understood iam on about a gain of 50/60 bhp over a standard rover inlet fitted to a zetec , if youve modded it by making a alloy intake section then you most probably would not see the sort of gains ian was on about as your making the same style as ians , then it all comes down to the techy stuff about flow etc which is where the flow bench is needed but i would still say you would see a good gain in bhp and the same improvement in throttle response, hope that clears things up as i was certainly not having a go as i would rather not discuss or talk on this forum than slag other peoples work off as iam not like that so i would like to say a big well done for your home built zetec turbo , youve found what works for you and fuck what anyone else thinks but its doesnt mean it cant still be improved upon
so onwards and upwards

cheers paul
pauls ripleys times and any other fwd fords times are on target to get smashed some time soon mate lol .

your right about the inlet there is always room to improve this is the 5th that have made and run on my engine and i have new one in the pipe line .

there will be big jump in power next year when i sort the head out as its a totaly standard head and cams at the min,so a big valve and ported job and a gt3071 at the same time .
Old 15-08-2009, 09:21 AM
creator

there will be big jump in power next year when i sort the head out as its a totaly standard head and cams at the min,so a big valve and ported job and a gt3071 at the same time .[/quote]

sounds intresting garry
Old 15-08-2009, 02:11 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

pauls ripleys times and any other fwd fords times are on target to get smashed some time soon mate lol .

your right about the inlet there is always room to improve this is the 5th that have made and run on my engine and i have new one in the pipe line .

there will be big jump in power next year when i sort the head out as its a totaly standard head and cams at the min,so a big valve and ported job and a gt3071 at the same time .

i take it your after a few records then mate , and i hope you get what you want. to be fair to paul roberts car (he owns paul rileys fiesta) was a budget conversion by ian howell and is still running the same spec although the car is now rs green and has been stripped and running a little more boost . when he did those times the engine was only running 280bhp @ 18 psi so maybe theres more to come as it now back on the road again . its a fine balance of finding a driveable fast car and going for to much power and not getting traction. my engine was built because i wanted to be the fastest fwd ford car in the uk and nothing has changed apart from going 4x4 and wanting 200mph
Old 15-08-2009, 04:51 PM
crazycage
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i take it your after a few records then mate , and i hope you get what you want. to be fair to paul roberts car (he owns paul rileys fiesta) was a budget conversion by ian howell and is still running the same spec although the car is now rs green and has been stripped and running a little more boost . when he did those times the engine was only running 280bhp @ 18 psi so maybe theres more to come as it now back on the road again . its a fine balance of finding a driveable fast car and going for to much power and not getting traction. my engine was built because i wanted to be the fastest fwd ford car in the uk and nothing has changed apart from going 4x4 and wanting 200mph
im only interested in 0-60 0-100 and 1/4mile, top speed does nothing for me .
i think ive already beat his 1/4 time and i got close to his 0-60 on my first ever go so only time will tell its not the end of world if i don't its all just a bit of fun for me .
Old 15-08-2009, 05:40 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

im only interested in 0-60 0-100 and 1/4mile, top speed does nothing for me .
i think ive already beat his 1/4 time and i got close to his 0-60 on my first ever go so only time will tell its not the end of world if i don't its all just a bit of fun for me .
well done kido , exactly the same for me its only fun and i aint gonna stamp my feet and cry if it dont do what i want as i will just carry on as long as i can afford it , iam also looking to doing a few drag runs to see what it can do when its finished .
Old 15-08-2009, 06:14 PM
zetaboostboy522bhp

heres the manifolds i would use myself

area six one

Name:  paulpics032.jpg
Views: 2011
Size:  108.6 KB

Name:  paulpics037.jpg
Views: 1848
Size:  75.2 KB

Name:  paulpics040.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  39.2 KB

£650

the new jenvey inlet this is without individual throttle bodies with is another £1000 on top of the price below

Name:  APS1_l.jpg
Views: 3797
Size:  71.1 KB

£1000

Quick Reply: zetec turbo, inlet manifold options?