General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Lockerbie Bomber to be released!

Search this Thread

Old 14-08-2009, 10:26 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dangerousbrian
it seems as tho they are setting a horrible precedent here..in the same way as ronnie biggs..they are going to die either way so why be nice to them? unless new evidence comes to light then keep him in there..if no new evidence he should be treat in the same way as when he was first convicted..
Expensive NHS care gets even more expensive if the person has guards posted by their bed day and night, if you release them first, it makes it a lot cheaper.

If he is going to be dieing in a hospital bed not a prison cell anyway, why bother?
Old 14-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Diseasel
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The guy is dying with only a few months to live, still in prison we will foot the very expensive bill for his treatment and welfare,back in Libya will cost us nothing other than the flight home.
I say send him home.
Old 14-08-2009, 10:33 AM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

thats true chip but at what illness does it stop? there was a man (will try and find his name) in prison for fraud (not quite the same as murder etc)years back who developed parkinsons and was released early, and miraculously he recovered..first and only person since to recover..blatantly pulled a fast one..i doubt the lockerbie bomber can fake cancer but its still a precedent that is being set..surely if anyone has the right to say wether he is released its the family of the dead
Old 14-08-2009, 10:41 AM
panelbeater
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graham S1
I suppose Ginge has a point about punishment. Sky TV, pool tables, 3 square meals a day.. not much punishment there. However 50 years ago, it would be considered a punishment.... crap beds... shit in a bucket etc etc.

Bring back hard labour!
umm yeah sky tv, pool tables and 3 squares a day. well lets break that down... never saw sky tv in there, pool tables yeah but only allowed an hour association a day, 3 squares a day... yeah an if you refuse a meal your in the shit with the screws. slopping out was still in force in, think it was leeds or wakefield prison up untill 96/97. hard labour... yeah some prisons you have to work! no question!

not much punishment! you try it son!!!
Old 15-08-2009, 10:53 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by panelbeater

not much punishment! you try it son!!!
mate i have no intension of trying it,,, i know a few people who have and tbh some have a few times,,,,, ive hear about people throwing stuff over walls to help there time inside too,,,, oh and one my sisters mates is a warden and i had this discussion with her as i thought it was punsihment but she corrected me about what its actually ment to be

she works at HMP holloway

theres one person i know though who spent years doing moody stuff and never got caught then one night it punched a bloke in the face infront of 2 plain clothes officers in upper street, islington and he was given 18 months as he broke hes cheek bone,,,, he done a year and has NO intention of going back,,, he dont talk about inside much either apart from saying " ive done my time for the queen and wont be there again",,,,,, hes now got a job and works for a living and just had hes first child too so it does work,,,, although he was never done for the crimes he had commited
Old 15-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Chip

Well either you didnt understand her and she was talking about one of its other purposes AS WELL AS punishment, or she didnt understand properly herself what the establishment she works at exists for.
Old 15-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip maybe she does understand what she works for and is against the idea as she belives that punishment is all the girls will understand,,,,, as said she works at holloway and understands what her job is and claims it dont work as she gets the same people back the following seasons in most cases,,,, someone comes out end of summer alot come back 6 months later to spend the following summer inside and come out towards the end of the summer
Old 15-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Chip

Did the sentance you just typed make any sense to you, cause it makes none at all to me.
Try proof reading next time and maybe something that consitutes a good approximation to a sentance from the english language will be the result.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

dont need to chip, ive said all i wish on the matter
Old 15-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Chip

You've said things, just not in a way that actually makes any sense, so wasnt much point doing so in terms of trying to communicate with anyone.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

If Prision isn't punishment then why is there such thing as life? By the time you've realised what you was doing wrong with that life of yours, it'll be over. I always seen prision as punishment and a way of removing bad people from the streets.

Benni.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:45 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Benni
If Prision isn't punishment then why is there such thing as life? By the time you've realised what you was doing wrong with that life of yours, it'll be over. I always seen prision as punishment and a way of removing bad people from the streets.

Benni.
life dont mean you leave in a box
Old 15-08-2009, 11:56 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

im sure once hes' released he'll make a remarkable recovery.
but he wont be released. he'll be sent back to his own country to serve out his sentence. allegedly.
the point in prison is to take away your freedom . thats the punishment.

Last edited by fuzzy; 15-08-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 15-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Ginge !
life dont mean you leave in a box
You've still lost a very good percentage of your life.

Benni.
Old 15-08-2009, 04:18 PM
morph
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Dear CHIP,
Just becuase someone has their own opinion as opposed to yours why do you still insist to insult them by calling them thick, stupid?
I have read this post and several other posts and you allways start to try and correct people with 'Your Opinion'!
You keep saying prison is punishment, long has the days gone when prisoners were shipped oversea to do hard manual labour each day with little food, water and any kind of rights.
These days prison isn't about punishment! its about trying to understand why you did what you did and how to better yourself.
most prisoners now have luxuries like sky tv, mobile phones, access to a host of food, confectionary, drugs and visting orders, been able to take a number of educational qualifacations with tutors coming there to give study lessons, and just because they are not allowed to leave the place you call that punishment?
Respect other peoples comments and treat people like you should be treated!
Old 15-08-2009, 04:43 PM
CarbonRick
PF Village Idiot

Prison is also punishment to the family of the person locked up whether rightly or wrongly. In this instance I have to agree, why not release him to Libya's custody, let him cost them a fortune. This country, indeed much of the developed world, has gone far too PC and 'civilised'.
Old 15-08-2009, 04:47 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

i guess itll be a closed doors deal done where he'll be sent back to libya for a short time then he'll be released over there.