General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Lockerbie Bomber to be released!

Search this Thread

Old 13-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Physio
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lockerbie Bomber to be released!

On compassionate grounds - shocking!

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-...ng_From_Cancer
Old 13-08-2009, 07:45 AM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Lets hope there's someone waiting at the prison gates to kneecap the cunt then!
Old 13-08-2009, 07:47 AM
Chris69
Advanced PassionFord User

not right in my eyes- a man capable of such a thing doesn't deserve compassion
Old 13-08-2009, 07:56 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Well TBH it's been such a farce that they basically can't prove he did it, and had always denied any wrong doing, but IF he didn't have cancer, what would be happening then??? Would he eventually have his conviction quashed.
I think given the evidence if he was given a fair trial today he wouldn't go down, but these things are always far more complicated than that. I'd like to see a new investigation into the bombing as there are alot of inconsistencies and theories that need to be addressed.

Last edited by rog; 13-08-2009 at 08:06 AM.
Old 13-08-2009, 08:09 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rog
I'd like to see a new investigation into the bombing as there are alot of inconsistencies and theories that need to be addressed.
Conspiracy theorist!!!!!

You think the CIA did it then?
Old 13-08-2009, 08:21 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No, that's just ridiculous, but that's just one of many theories.
One of which suggest this man was responsible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abu_Nidal
Old 13-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It's hard to feel compassion for him, but at the end of the day thats what we as a society have to do in order to be better than people like him.
As Libya want him back, I say send him there and they can pay for his expensive cancer treatment not me.
Old 13-08-2009, 08:35 AM
Chip

It's hard to feel compassion for him, but at the end of the day thats what we as a society have to do in order to be better than people like him.
As Libya want him back, I say send him there and they can pay for his expensive cancer treatment not me.
Old 13-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I feel compassion for the man, he's clearly been stitched up and imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit and now he's dying of cancer.

Charlie
Old 13-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

dont forget that prison IS NOT PUNISHMENT..... its rehabilitaion for people who comit the crimes to make them return to public and NOT commit these crimes,, hes dying of cancer which is a fucking nasty way to die,,,, its not something you would wish on your enemy,,, including this bloke as its a NASTY thing to have, ive seen a few people die of cancer,,,, 90% of the funnerals ive attended are due to it and seeing people degrade in such a nasty fucking way,,,, hes got no chance of a future at all and nothing but pain and suffering to look forward too before hes life is taken from him

let the guy out for the short amount of time it will have to be sort of normal as the chances are he wont be here in 3 months time anyway

we just buried my sisters partners dad,,,,, 8 weeks ago he had issues with hes short term memory so went to doctors,,,,, diagnosed as a tumour,,, cant operate and at this time hes still working and going to the pub, 2 weeks later they take him to hospital due to hes memory and other things,,,,,, 2 weeks ago he died after loosing soo much weight, not being able to walk and not even remembering where he was after he woke up

i feel for anyone who has cancer i really do !
Old 13-08-2009, 09:48 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Ginge !
dont forget that prison IS NOT PUNISHMENT..... its rehabilitaion
Ginge, thats not true at all, prison is meant to be both a punishment and an attempt at rehabilitation.

Last edited by Chip; 13-08-2009 at 09:49 AM.
Old 13-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Chip
Ginge, thats not true at all, prison is meant to be both a punishment and an attempt at rehabilitation.
prison is NOT punishment at all !!!, its ment as a thing for people to want to avoid and not comit crime and for the bad people on society that DO offend its ment as rehab so they can come back and not commit crimes hence certain offences have different lengths,,,, punishment is what society belive to make them feel better about themselves

this is also why we have parole hearings for people who have learned how to fit in society
Old 13-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Chip

prison is NOT punishment at all !!!, its ment as a thing for people to want to avoid and not comit crime and for the bad people on society that DO offend its ment as rehab so they can come back and not commit crimes hence certain offences have different lengths,,,, punishment is what society belive to make them feel better about themselves

this is also why we have parole hearings for people who have learned how to fit in society
If its not a punishment, then why would anyone want to avoid it you mong?

Of COURSE its a punishment.

When people do something small wrong they get a fine as punishment, if they do something bigger wrong they get prison as a punishment.

Yes of course the concept is that its supposed to help reform people too, but of course its a punishment.
Old 13-08-2009, 10:10 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

The only thing I know about the Lockerbie bomber, was that the evidence was pretty thin on the ground, maybe the guy didn't actually do it?? But I'm no expert by a mile.
Old 13-08-2009, 10:13 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

fines ARE a punishment,,,,, prision is to rehab someone where punsiment is deemed unsucessfull

preventative part is before you commit the offence,,, again thats aimed for people who dont commit the crime,,,, the people who do commit the crime are then taken for rehab so they dont recomit,,,, if that dont work they are taken out of society or until such time it is deemed they are fit to re enter society,,,,, PRISON IS NOT A PUNISHMENT hence they are fed, they are given recreational activitys,,,,,,,, given jobs with wages, given a allowance for personal effects and are allowed presents from visitors

what sort of punishment is that,,,,, its not its to help a "sick" person learn the error of there ways
Old 13-08-2009, 10:16 AM
Chip

fines ARE a punishment,,,,, prision is to rehab someone where punsiment is deemed unsucessfull

preventative part is before you commit the offence,,, again thats aimed for people who dont commit the crime,,,, the people who do commit the crime are then taken for rehab so they dont recomit,,,, if that dont work they are taken out of society or until such time it is deemed they are fit to re enter society,,,,, PRISON IS NOT A PUNISHMENT hence they are fed, they are given recreational activitys,,,,,,,, given jobs with wages, given a allowance for personal effects and are allowed presents from visitors

what sort of punishment is that,,,,, its not its to help a "sick" person learn the error of there ways
The punishment is a VERY simple one, loss of liberty.

Amazed you arent aware of it.
Old 13-08-2009, 10:19 AM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

so what if he's got cancer, let the twat rot in his cell. why should he get compassion after what he did??? sorry but he should have thought about that before he blew up a plane full of people.
Old 13-08-2009, 10:21 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by jumpin jack crash
so what if he's got cancer, let the twat rot in his cell. why should he get compassion after what he did??? sorry but he should have thought about that before he blew up a plane full of people.
(asusming he is guilty which im not massively convinced has really been established)
He may not have shown compassion, but as decent people we are supposed to, if we dont then we are not much better than him.
Old 13-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip prison is NOT designed as punshment,,,, the loss of liberty is irelevent as if you are sectioned you also loose liberty,,,, are nutters also punished ?

its also why crazy people can not stand trial due to ill health, they are sectioned then EITHER sent to prison to serve there sentance or if they are safe to return to society without the need for custodial sentance then they will return with no custodial sentance

someone who recovers from mental illness and returns to serve there sentance (if at the time of the crime they was not under mental illness) will have to serve the ENTIRE sentance,,,,,, that means if you get given 5 years and you play the mental illness card, the judge can section you, reveiw it and when you are "better",,,,, if it takes 3 years !! you will then serve 5 years custodial

that means that you would actually loose 8 years liberty,,,, its not punishment but rehab,,,,,, it is in no way designed to be punishment as its quicker and more effective to rehabilitate someone

its the good people who are made to think prision is a nasty place,,, will be raped, will be sharing a cell with murders, pedos, ect ect ect so its "sold" as a deterent/punishment so we dont commit the crime

infact its far from that and not ment to be as bad as people first think,, though some people learn quicker than others and thats when it becomes a punishment for the rest of the sentance
Old 13-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

another example.,..... "go to your room and think about things before you come out"

now if when you visit child hes carm and shown remorse for there actions you let them come down stairs..... if you decide hes learned hes lesson and leave him in hes room for a extra day thats a punsiment,,,,, but what use is that when hes learned he/she cant act like a brat

this is why beating children dont work,,,, punisments only work as a deterant,,,,, education to whats allowed and not works for the future

its why we all speed on the motorway,,,,, we know we get a fine and we are willing to accept the punishment..... we still commit the crime though yet

someone see the actions of speeding,,,, say they killed someone,,, would they be just as willing to speed
Old 13-08-2009, 10:38 AM
Chip

Criky, you really are thick, you seem unable to grasp the concept that it is both to reform AND punish, you seem to think it can only be one or the other for some reason.

If you read your own statements, you will see you keep contradicting yourself and mentioning it as a deterrant and as a punishment, it is both of those things as well as rehabilitation.

Anyway, I dont actually care enough about the fact that you dont understand the purpose of a prison to carry on attempting to educate you on the subject TBH, so feel free to think whatever you want mate.

Last edited by Chip; 13-08-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 13-08-2009, 11:00 AM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

(asusming he is guilty which im not massively convinced has really been established)
He may not have shown compassion, but as decent people we are supposed to, if we dont then we are not much better than him.

thats a fair point chip, im just goin with the fact he is banged up for it. for what happened it should have been a death penalty in my eyes. i worked with people who were on shift at heathrow working for pan am when it happened and hearing the stories makes you realise the effect it had on so so many people.

and if he was found not guilty after he'd faced the firing squad... bung his family a few quid, everybodies happy
Old 13-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Chip

Death penalty is such an arse to try and implement whilist being lawful in terms of appeals etc, as once you are dead, it can hinder your right to appeal.
I like the idea in theory, especially if it saves money versus a life sentance, but in america where they have it clearly its no significant deterrant and it doesnt seem to work out any cheaper either, so im not convinced of the benefits really being what me or you might perceive them to be.
Old 13-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Graham S1
PassionFord Post Troll

I suppose Ginge has a point about punishment. Sky TV, pool tables, 3 square meals a day.. not much punishment there. However 50 years ago, it would be considered a punishment.... crap beds... shit in a bucket etc etc.

Bring back hard labour!
Old 13-08-2009, 12:44 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

He didn't. He was wrongly convicted.

Charlie
Old 13-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Graham S1
I suppose Ginge has a point about punishment. Sky TV, pool tables, 3 square meals a day.. not much punishment there. However 50 years ago, it would be considered a punishment.... crap beds... shit in a bucket etc etc.

Bring back hard labour!
The punishment is loss of liberty.
Personally I would sooner have a prison room to live in with a door that went into the outside world, than a room at the hilton where I couldnt leave the hotel and could only have vistors at pre-determined times etc.
Old 13-08-2009, 01:30 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

chip thats your view,,,,, but its not the reality of what prision is there for,, its just like sectioning people, they also loose liberty,,, i would also not like to go to a nut house either but is that a punishment ?
Old 13-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Chip

chip thats your view,,,,, but its not the reality of what prision is there for
It IS the reality of what prison is there for, it is meant as a punishment as well as to rehabilitate, you are just too thick to realise it can have more than one purpose.

its just like sectioning people, they also loose liberty,,, i would also not like to go to a nut house either but is that a punishment ?
Sectioning someone is done if they present a significant risk of death or serious injury to other people or themselves ONLY, it is not done as a punishment and hence as soon as they are no longer a threat to the safety of others or themselves they are released.
Prisons are not there only for that reason, although they are there also for that reason.
Prisons are there, among other things, for ALL of the following reasons:
To punish
To rehabilitate
To protect the safety of the public

Wether you understand that or not, doesnt stop it being true, which it is.
Old 13-08-2009, 02:34 PM
STbash
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

he showed no compassion for the passangers on the jet so why should he be shown any compassion?

pathetic really as had this happened in the US he would have been left to spent the rest of his days in maximum security, probably in sloitary confinement awaiting execution..

UK - joke!
Old 13-08-2009, 06:07 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

How is prison not a punishment, i couldn't give a fuck if the fed me and stuff. You loose the right to do what you want when you want, you miss out on time with family and friends etc IMO that is a punishment.
Old 13-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Sonic Boom
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

as once you are dead, it can hinder your right to appeal.
PMSL
Old 13-08-2009, 06:48 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Char1ie

Charlie
Is that a fact? Noooooooo

There must be some good reason why it took so long to catch the guy, gather the evidence and try him in court,

I had the displeasure of passing through Lockerbie to go upto my sisters 3 days after the disaster, what i saw and my feelings in that mile or so on the A74 will stay with me for the rest of my life, not a nice thing to see at all, Fuck knows how the relatives of the victims or the towns folk go on.

Old 13-08-2009, 09:17 PM
jumpin jack crash
its a gas gas gas

Originally Posted by Char1ie

Charlie
thats why he's still locked up is it? lol
Old 13-08-2009, 10:47 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thats why he's still locked up is it? lol
That's just what i was thinking... there must be some evidence somewhere on him otherwise he wouldnt be in there.

Ginge please stop and give your head a shake... of course prison is a punishment

IMO if you are in prison you dont deserve the right to get out early just because you have cancer or any other illness/disease, you should have to endure whatever you have until your sentence has been completed or you die, whichever comes soonest, if you dont it just makes a mockery of the whole prison sentencing!
Old 14-08-2009, 06:50 AM
brad
PassionFord Post Troll

IF he did it , then he shouldnt be allowed out imho. there was no compassion showed to the innocent people on the plane or the relatives that were left behind .
I think the whole did he or didnt he do it is a different discussion alltogether and would probably include many high profile police investigations that resulted in people being prosecuted and imprisoned.

Anyone that thinks prison is not a punishment has obviously never been in one or spent any time locked up at her majesty's pleasure. the fact that you get a tv , social time(which is very limited) does not make it a pleasurable experience. you spend most of your time in your cell and have just about every decicion making privilage taken away from you . Rehabilitation is done either in a group or on a 1 to 1 basis and generally only a couple of hours a week .
Old 14-08-2009, 08:03 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Good point IF you presume he's guilty then i don't agree he should be freed, BUT having read alot of the history regarding his conviction I personally don't believe he did it. When you have guys like Jim Swire campaining on his behalf, who's daughter was killed in the bombing, doesn't it atleast make you think there may be something wrong. Granted no one can be proven 100% guilty unless they admit it or there is video evidence.
Old 14-08-2009, 08:11 AM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wtf wrong with this country what with this and the goverment spending millions to protect the baby p killers when they get out it's all just fucked up the way they run this country!
Old 14-08-2009, 08:28 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by saph4be
wtf wrong with this country what with this and the goverment spending millions to protect the baby p killers when they get out it's all just fucked up the way they run this country!
Its a side effect of having (relatively speaking) a decent justice system, the idea is that the state hands out the penalty for a crime, and the public doesnt, without hiding their identities they would be killed, which goes against that justice system.
Sometimes there are definately times when you think "fuck justice, lets just murder the bastards" but that is an extremely slippery slope for a society to go down and not one I feel we would benefit from.
Old 14-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Ollie.
PassionFord Post Troll

Let the cunt rot. Guilty or not. His country has to know that someones payed for it.
Old 14-08-2009, 10:24 AM
dangerousbrian
Advanced PassionFord User

it seems as tho they are setting a horrible precedent here..in the same way as ronnie biggs..they are going to die either way so why be nice to them? unless new evidence comes to light then keep him in there..if no new evidence he should be treat in the same way as when he was first convicted..

Quick Reply: Lockerbie Bomber to be released!