General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mondeo front electric window problem. Help pls!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 01:08 PM
saphycozzie-adz
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mondeo front electric window problem. Help pls!

Hi peeps,

I have a 98 plate Mondeo run around with electric front windows. The problem I have is when the weather is hot, the drivers window will not go down at all. Through the winter it works perfectly so Im guessing there is a relay or something somewhere maybe that is being affected by heat? I have tried changing the up/down switch with known working switches and no difference. The passenger window works perfect all the time.

Any ideas anyone?

I have access to another mondeo which I can borrow relays etc for fault finding but though Id ask on here first to try save some time and effort

Cheers.

Adam.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:59 PM
RS500/364
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sure they use some heat resistor thing to tell them when there shut so it stops on the motor might find its that take the trim of and see it you can use frezzer spray on it or swap
Old 08-08-2009, 10:18 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

My old focus used to do the same. Does it go up ok? Does it have the auto down feature where you press it hard and it goes all the way down?

There's some kind of spring on the mechanism and a microswitch, so it knows when the window is at the bottom of the runners, the motor stretches a spring and presses the microswitch, which switches off the motor. Basically over time the spring goes slack and it stretches easier than the window drops, so the car thinks the window is at the bottom so it cuts off the motor!

Try forcing the window down while pressing the down button. Then clean up and grease the runners to make it slide a bit better.

The only long term option is to replace the mechanism inside the door!
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 AM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be the one touch module, located towards the front upper left side of the door with panel removed, recessed into the door, held with two philips head screws, they simply unscrew then unclip, only saying this as electronics can be affected by heat, I put one touch on all four windows on my dads mk1 mondy, and the timers are just that nothing fancy, just a timer, no limit switches or anything on mechanism.
If not that, I would try another motor as these are also affected by heat, you could always bypass the relay and switch direct feed then if motor works it's the timer at fault.
Also fitted these to my cossie, brought it into this century!!
tabetha