General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Any Sparkies near Ipswich?

Search this Thread

Old 15-08-2009, 06:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cragrat
i agree it just a way of keeping tabs on the law abiding

it did come about cos his daughter got killed but the fact that the fixings for the knife rack went into a cable that wasnt installed in a prescribed manner meant it was live when if it had been done right she would still be here today and part p wouldnt n
interesting,,,, whats the perscribed way to do the installation ???

reason i ask is ive followed where the original wiring went but its all now channeled in the wall and filled over rather than in the fucking conduit that i had with a passion ( the rest of my house is now covered with the fucking stuff)

just off topic but be interesting to know if ive done it right or if i should look at it again
Old 15-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -beefy-
im stuck in birmingham all weekend ,

how bout i just come put your clothes on my head and run round the back garden till there dry ??

saves all this hassle

beef

You wouldn't need to run around, anywhere near your mouth would be ideal. There's that much hot air comes out of there.....
Old 15-08-2009, 07:00 PM
-beefy-
formerly beefy-rst-2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mal.
You wouldn't need to run around, anywhere near your mouth would be ideal. There's that much hot air comes out of there.....

you still angry i used your pic on that lezbian website fella

your getting alot of hit btw
Old 15-08-2009, 07:05 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Just move again, not like your at novice
Old 15-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bog off!! I never ever want to move ever ever again after this!
Old 15-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by -beefy-
you still angry i used your pic on that lezbian website fella

your getting alot of hit btw

Am I???? Cool!
Old 15-08-2009, 07:27 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
interesting,,,, whats the perscribed way to do the installation ???

reason i ask is ive followed where the original wiring went but its all now channeled in the wall and filled over rather than in the fucking conduit that i had with a passion ( the rest of my house is now covered with the fucking stuff)

just off topic but be interesting to know if ive done it right or if i should look at it again
Basically within 6" of any corner or ceiling,not diagonal unless
to a depth oif 50mm or more or in earthed steel conduit or directly between accessories (switchs sockets etc)

These are the basic guidelines we stick to there are others but to best understand them I would recomend looking at them in the bs 7671 regs book on line as they are easier to see as a diagram rather than described
Old 15-08-2009, 07:41 PM
furqall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i know your supposed to be part p registered but but how can anyone prove the wiring wasn't done before that law came in????
Old 15-08-2009, 07:50 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

part p another great scam
Old 15-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Originally Posted by furqall
i know your supposed to be part p registered but but how can anyone prove the wiring wasn't done before that law came
in????
good point,there was a short period between new cable colours (harmonisation mar 31st 2004)) and part p (jan 1st 2005)where you may be able to argue this point but if its in a new house or extension then obviousley you cant

Originally Posted by danneth
part p another great scam
oh indeed you are right,i agree in principle that work should be tested and certified but its the notification of jobs that i disagree with
Old 15-08-2009, 09:47 PM
furqall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

lol what cables have changed dont you just use twin and earth still?
Old 15-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by furqall
lol what cables have changed dont you just use twin and earth still?
colours have changed, all myn wiring was red and black and now they changed it to brown and blue just like plug sockets
Old 15-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

ps: all my wires are seperate rather twin, my shower wiring is black and red 12mm i think,,, its big fuck off stuff for big power showers i got and the most fucking expensive price compared to the next size down but i was recomended it,,,, should that have been blue and brown ?
Old 15-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

I was under the impression that domestic wiring could be installed by anyone providing it was part p certified at the end. I think if you read the guidlines closely it just says that any electrical work should be part p signed off.
Old 15-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Kieron
I was under the impression that domestic wiring could be installed by anyone providing it was part p certified at the end. I think if you read the guidlines closely it just says that any electrical work should be part p signed off.
yeah just needs to be approved,, you can still do your own work aslong as a you get a sparky to get a certify it,,,, at the end but when your selling it is the real time it needs to be done,,,, not like the old bill and gonna knock on the door and test the electrics,,,,,,,, besides they would be more interested in the weed plants under the huge lamps rather than the moody wiring to it or the coat hanger bridging the wires on the electric meter
Old 15-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Kieron
Advanced PassionFord User

lol.. The plants would be gone by the time I sell.

I have just fullly wired my garage/workshop with the help of a friend who works with wiring but is not part P qualified as his job doesn't require it and I just need someone to test it.

If you actually look into it you need an outside light to be passed by the council or a socket in your shed. Come to think of it, anything electircal sould be notified/signed off. However the only time this will be picked up is if you sell and the buyers have a thorough solicitor.
Old 16-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

ps: all my wires are seperate rather twin, my shower wiring is black and red 12mm i think,,, its big fuck off stuff for big power showers i got and the most fucking expensive price compared to the next size down but i was recomended it,,,, should that have been blue and brown ?
if its single insulated it should be in a suitable sized conduit (sounds like it is 10mm` you got it take you have a 10.8kw shower or smaller with quite a long cable run) red n black should be ok end of the the day its the same copper in it,just say it was done before harmonisation but you will have had Borat & Bruski to test & certify anyway!

yup you can but it must be inspected by a part p sparks at first fix & second fix stage (appointed by your local building control which makes it very expensive)

lol.. The plants would be gone by the time I sell.

I have just fullly wired my garage/workshop with the help of a friend who works with wiring but is not part P qualified as his job doesn't require it and I just need someone to test it.

If you actually look into it you need an outside light to be passed by the council or a socket in your shed. Come to think of it, anything electircal sould be notified/signed off. However the only time this will be picked up is if you sell and the buyers have a thorough solicitor.

thats ifsolicitor is doing his job properly as all they are bothered about is the the HIPS packs,not if the house is safe or not
Old 16-08-2009, 07:15 AM
Smit
The 60ft Launch King

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Haven't clue about any electricans Maria sorry.... Pad looks nice... Where abouts did u go for in the end?
Old 16-08-2009, 09:00 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

if its single insulated it should be in a suitable sized conduit (sounds like it is 10mm` you got it take you have a 10.8kw shower or smaller with quite a long cable run) red n black should be ok end of the the day its the same copper in it,just say it was done before harmonisation but you will have had Borat & Bruski to test & certify anyway!
the shower is actually 8.5kw at the min but i got the larger size to future proof it, theres about 10 meters of cable in total so not sure if thats classed as a long run or not

the switch though can get fucking hot ive noticed which scares me a bit so im looking to get another switch
Old 16-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

the shower is actually 8.5kw at the min but i got the larger size to future proof it, theres about 10 meters of cable in total so not sure if thats classed as a long run or not

the switch though can get fucking hot ive noticed which scares me a bit so im looking to get another switch
6.00mm` would have been fine for that run,in fact a 19m run feeding a 9.0-9.5 kw shower is ok depending upon where cable is run ie in wall,in conduit,trunking or under insulation (regs book gives the calculation for aforementioned)

did best tho,you cant beat a bit of extra girth

check how tight the connections are,if the cable has started to discolour it needs terminating further back,and maybe change the switch (may now be knackered) as it sounds like its arcing 8.5kw should`nt cause that unless a loose connection or faulty switch
Old 16-08-2009, 09:30 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smit
Haven't clue about any electricans Maria sorry.... Pad looks nice... Where abouts did u go for in the end?
Its on Ravenswood Smit!
Old 16-08-2009, 10:00 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

the switch is a single gang size one i was told would be fine,,, it was a bit tight tbh getting the thick cable into the box so im gonna get a larger one when i fit the new shower ( the old shower packed up, thermal cut out tripped in and wont intrip now :Wall:

can you recomend a decent shower switch, wanna do it for the last time now, no more fucking about
Old 16-08-2009, 10:05 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

the switch is a single gang size one i was told would be fine,,, it was a bit tight tbh getting the thick cable into the box so im gonna get a larger one when i fit the new shower ( the old shower packed up, thermal cut out tripped in and wont intrip now :Wall:

can you recomend a decent shower switch, wanna do it for the last time now, no more fucking about
MK generally considered the best but can be pricey
i tend to use GET for anything like a 8.5kw shower
what size back bock have you got? will have really struggled fitting the switch back on anything less than a 47mm
am very surprised you were advised to use a single box with that size cable

how old the shower? spares are available
Old 16-08-2009, 10:09 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i wanted a single block so it would be discrete in the hall way,,,, though it was also just a test to see if i could run a shower off the mains aswell

the shower is a wanky gainsborugh one, no spares available but it was a cheep shitty one anyway,, just bought a mira azora for when i finish the bathroom and gonna change the switch for a proper one to match as ive just ripped apart the bathroom and refitting a new one totally
Old 16-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

i wanted a single block so it would be discrete in the hall way,,,, though it was also just a test to see if i could run a shower off the mains aswell

the shower is a wanky gainsborugh one, no spares available but it was a cheep shitty one anyway,, just bought a mira azora for when i finish the bathroom and gonna change the switch for a proper one to match as ive just ripped apart the bathroom and refitting a new one totally
looks like you got a bit of chopping out & decorating in the hallway if it aint a 47mm tbh then
Old 16-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

was as in the depth of the back plate,,, i aint worried about that as the wall is a false wall im locating it on so its made of plaster board and its hollow
Old 16-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

was as in the depth of the back plate,,, i aint worried about that as the wall is a false wall im locating it on so its made of plaster board and its hollow

no probs then,get a 47mm deep box from newey & eyre they do the best box for you (they have yellow lugs) CEF will be even more awkward when it comes to pushing switch back as you will catch the lugs every time-guaranteed!!!

just reading back thru post do you already have a 47mm box in? cant quite tell
Old 16-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

the shower is a wanky gainsborugh one,
Unlucky
I bought a Gainsborough, changed it after 2 week because it was shite, I could piss harder.
Old 16-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

no probs then,get a 47mm deep box from newey & eyre they do the best box for you (they have yellow lugs) CEF will be even more awkward when it comes to pushing switch back as you will catch the lugs every time-guaranteed!!!

just reading back thru post do you already have a 47mm box in? cant quite tell
not sure, its defo a deeper box for the switch but cant measure it

its gonna come out now anyway so aint fussed if it aint tbh but theres a good chance it is a 47mm box
Old 16-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by Big G
Unlucky
I bought a Gainsborough, changed it after 2 week because it was shite, I could piss harder.
it runs off mains presure so aint sure how that would affect the shower,,, as said it was a cheepo thing to test if the water presure would work and iron out any issues,,,, the thermal cut out is a comon problem though and i can get it changed under warranty just i cant be arsed as i dont want another one
Old 16-08-2009, 11:23 AM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Unlucky
Any 8.5kw to be honest will be shite no matter what the make
If you go for 9.5 kw u get the hot water with sufficient water pressure
Imo 10.8 kw showers are ott as a 9.5 will get the job done
Old 16-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Any 8.5kw to be honest will be shite no matter what the make
If you go for 9.5 kw u get the hot water with sufficient water pressure
Imo 10.8 kw showers are ott as a 9.5 will get the job done
The Gainsborough was a 9.5k, as is its replacement, Aqua Galaxy 3000.
The Gainsborough was the shower equvalent of a mong, just dribbled.
Old 16-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

The Gainsborough was a 9.5k, as is its replacement, Aqua Galaxy 3000.
The Gainsborough was the shower equvalent of a mong, just dribbled.

ahh well i guess you cant polish a turd can you

that said never fitted or used a gainsborough - wonder why.............