General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

4 cans of 5% strength lager over the dd limit the next day ??

Search this Thread

Old 31-07-2009, 09:27 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 4 cans of 5% strength lager over the dd limit the next day ??

no i havent been caught and i really dont believe in pushing my luck, i dont drink and drive knowingly,nor do i condone it...

but...

Would four cans of 5% strength lager put you over the limit at say, 7.00am in the morning when you drank the cans at about 11.00pm the night previouse???

your thoughts please?

steve.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:30 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

theres no way of knowing for sure other than once theyve stopped you and asked you to blow in the bag...
you pay your money you make your choice.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:32 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Everyone's tollerance to alcohol is different. Four pints of alcohol could take someone over the limit, while for someone else it might be twice that amount.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Mike C
The Special One

I always WOULD have said yes, but two things make me not so sure now...

Firstly, there was that program on a couple of years back with Richard Hammond, "Should You Worry About Alcohol?" (was a series, they did it about a few different subject other than booze), and there was a group of blokes they sent out to hammered, and I mean fookin' hammered! 15 drinks + each and drinking past midnight, and then he went round their gaffs and tested them all on the breathalyser early the following morning, and NOT ONE of them blew over.

Also, I know or 3 different people who have been breathalysed on the way home from drinking in the past 12 months, and all of them were what I'd describe as easily over the limit. One of them I know had 5 pints, and yet still got away with a negative on the breathalyser.

I don't know how or why, and I'm not going to stick my neck out with a definitive answer, but I reckon you should be alright with that.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:36 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

ive passed the roadside breath test after 12 bottles of stella

and failed it after 2 pints before

they are hit or a miss

not worth taking the chance

was stupid in my younger days,wouldnt do it now
Old 31-07-2009, 09:39 PM
burnzy
burnzy

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

you lead on a guideline of you loose 1 unit of alcohol an hour, a unit of alcohol is 1 pint or 556ml (i think) of 3.5% alcohol content beverage, depends on how big the cans are too do the maths with, sometimes you'd be surprised after a big binge how much over the limit you would be, i think i managed to be over the limit for 2 days the once but whether i would of actually been i dunno, it does depend on the person entirely, but that is the government rule of thumb.

this post was brought to you by an atendee of the aquarious course dec 04
Old 31-07-2009, 09:40 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by st3v3
no i havent been caught and i really dont believe in pushing my luck, i dont drink and drive knowingly,nor do i condone it...
as said earlier /\

Just wondering as i drink 4 cans of lager most nights,im 39 about 15stone and 6ft tall, not fat, not muscley either, just sort of ok but was wondering if i might be over the limit.
Old 31-07-2009, 10:17 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

id guess youd be ok
Old 31-07-2009, 10:20 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you would be ok, I did see a test done where a guy drank during in evening - pretty heavy - and wasn't clear to drive untill 11am!!

I would think 7 hours after 4 cans you'd be ok.
Old 31-07-2009, 10:22 PM
biggiejody
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i was always told its roughly an hour for each unit depending if your normal ie metobism (sp) is fast then well go quicker, if slower will take more time.

also depends if you ate before during and after
Old 31-07-2009, 10:24 PM
xr2john
Passionford Addict

Received 89 Likes on 88 Posts

i know its not clever but i know a guy who fell out of the car after he had been on a bender and still passed a breathaliser,( yes i know i cant spell ) yet the coppers still wouldnt let him drive the car home,was a few years ago now tho
Old 31-07-2009, 10:35 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as said earlier /\

Just wondering as i drink 4 cans of lager most nights,im 39 about 15stone and 6ft tall, not fat, not muscley either, just sort of ok but was wondering if i might be over the limit.

I reckon you'd be alright mate
It's when you wake up and still feel shit you know you shouldn't be driving!!
Old 31-07-2009, 10:36 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Oh, and 4 cans most nights is not good
Old 31-07-2009, 10:40 PM
bouncy
Regular Contributor

I got pulled in Northern ireland. 6 pints and breathalysed 1hr later. I was under the limit............

We were racing ( I wont say where...UK) but we had been on a long long bender and was breathalysed in the morning by circuit officials after morning warm up and was 2 & 1/2 times over the limit, loads of coffee and 2hrs later was retested and 3 times over the limit...........WTF they should have used the Irish equip..........

Kids can i just say drinking is not good for you and its not clever and the things we used to do when we were your age was acceptable because we drunk real mens drinks and not pufter alco pops..........
Old 31-07-2009, 10:43 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by James90RS
I reckon you'd be alright mate
It's when you wake up and still feel shit you know you shouldn't be driving!!

what if you still feel great from night before lol
Old 31-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We had a work event some years ago that involved driving new cars over a set route, but we had a fairly major session that night.

The second morning, one of my workmates was unable to pass a breath-test and get his car keys back until well after lunchtime, by which time all the cars were back on transporters and the rest of us were on our way home.
Old 31-07-2009, 11:05 PM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i got done in my younger days for d&d and did a course to knock off a few months, a part of the course was to work out how many units youd drink on a night out and then when it was safe to drive again !

belive it or not but back in the day if i went out on a satuturday technicaly i wouldnt be able to drive till tuesday ! that was going by the formula from the course ! seriously made me think, dont even have one now realy isnt worth it
Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont trust the breathilisers, ive passed twice when i shouldnt have, once the morning after and was going to work feeling rough as fuck, passed that but registered amber

once when i wasnt even driving, i went to the car to get some aftershave and the copper clocked me comming out of the pub and watched me get in the car and the keys was in my pocket !!!

i passed that as having NO alcohol in my system, the cunt made me blow 3 times accusing me of sucking blah blah blah,,,, CUNT

i passed that though,,, though i could have been done as its a offence to be in a car drunk if you have the keys on you ?????

also a former work pal is muslim, he dont drink and the machine went amber so he wanted to be retested with another machine incase hes had some alcohol as its against hes religion,,,, second machine he was in the green as he should be
Old 01-08-2009, 05:39 PM
Turner RS
Regular Contributor

4 cans of 5% is around 10 units of alcohol, and you do this most nights? LOL. You should be fine as you are not a novice drinker!
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

as said earlier /\

i drink 4cans of san miguel 5% every night and go work at 5am,i always feel fine but ive often wondered if im riskin it
Old 01-08-2009, 06:45 PM
jamieRST

also if you smoke it affects the reading,is why they ask you.
dont let them mug you off saying if you are drunk in ur car with your keys in your pocket they can do you,they tried it with me.in my younger days i was a bit of a nob
i was parked in a car park with my m8,wed had about 8 cans each of carling,my car but i wasnt driving,stereo on,saw coppers rolling in the car park,took keys out of ignition,into my pocket,smoked a quick ciggie while they pulled up parked etc and strolled over,my m8 threw his can under the car which spilt my side all around my feet.i was 18 at this time.rs turbo s2 replica

policeman: this your badboy?

me:yes officer.

policeman:have u been drinking

me:yes

policeman:step in the back of the car for a breathaliser please,have u smoked any cig in the past 20 mins?

me:no officer : lie

got in the car blew after 3 attempts flashed red then stayed on orange.got a pass he tried sayin he could still do me for drunk in control of a motor vehicle,so i laughed and said dont think so m8 the keys werent even in the ignition and the car wasnt moving.he just said out an im watching out for you tonite,if i catch you driving im doin ya.

result

but i wouldnt do anything like that now,not at all
Old 01-08-2009, 07:09 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jamieRST
got a pass he tried sayin he could still do me for drunk in control of a motor vehicle,so i laughed and said dont think so m8 the keys werent even in the ignition and the car wasnt moving.

but i wouldnt do anything like that now,not at all

Having the keys in the car puts you in charge, and if you hadn't blown a pass he could have done you for that offence!

Happily, you don't do it any more, because it could be an expensive way to find out you weren't as clued up as some barrack-room lawyers.

http://www.drinkdrivinglaw.co.uk/off...ss_alcohol.htm
Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

being near the vehicle with keys you can also be done, its a fucked up law as i would have been done even though the engine was cold and i wasnt intending to drive,,, infact even though i passed the breath test i still never drove home
Old 01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

I have had a couple of occasions in my youth where I have drunk a stupid amount the night before and just on the hangover you know if you can drive or not.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No chance, 4x5% largers after 7 hours, if you fail I would suggest you go to a doc to get you liver tested.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
plynchy
PassionFord Post Troll

I'd say you'll be fine. I work all over the UK, and we generally have a few after work, my mate has a breathalyser in his van he bought off ebay for around Ł80. After 6-7 pints we're both clear at 8am the next day.

That said, after a good Fri night sesh he's been over until after 11am...

Re the laws on keys, how does that work if you're pissed up in your motorhome and parked up asleep??
Old 01-08-2009, 10:01 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

^^i've often thought this when i night out in lorry,there was 3 of us near heathrow on a fri night not so long ago,we didnt have to rush back so we wound up on beer till 1am,staggered back to truck and clambered in,but considerin i lived in it and it had a safe i thought if i locked keys away i thought id be in clear
Old 02-08-2009, 01:52 AM
jamieRST

re the keys
he did try it sayin he was gonna do me
but i said well no m8 the keys werent in the ignition,it wasnt moving and i was sat in it so what have i done wrong and he just said on ur way then
Old 02-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Turner RS
Regular Contributor

Aslong as the keys are not in the ignition or in your pocket you are fine in a motorhome.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:44 AM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

if your caught sleeping in your car with keys on you your done unless youd disconnected the battery
Old 02-08-2009, 01:20 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Dont they class 2 or more units a night alcoholic ?? ( im not calling you an alcoholic !!) I would probly fail after 4 cans of 5% lager, and id probly end up in A&E after falling on my head because of them as im a irregular drinker, BUT im sure someone who drinks regularly and sensibly it would litteraly be a piss in the ocean !!
Has anyone tried the personal breathaliser keyring things most halfrauds/fletchers type factors sell? Could be a more accurate way of telling.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:29 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

always wondered if im heading that way,did 10 last night no myther,dont want to realise i got a problem though