General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Question!!!!Building a cosworth engine???????

Search this Thread

Old 15-12-2004 | 06:29 PM
Alex DK
Virgin

Default Question!!!!Building a cosworth engine???????

After some discussion among the Danish cossie owners,I would like to know this!
1.could all cossie owners with some technical knowledgement easy build a relieable 450+ cossie engine?????(complete rebuild ofcourse...????(touring car spech...
2.I would prefeer to getting this done by a proof builder,even if its cost me 10000 pound,what do you people say????..
3.How mutch does a 450+ engine costs in seperate parts (all parts new,complete rebuild,using t4,rs500top+block?????pleace put price on each part seperate and also labour,and witch parts needed???engine must be blueprinted(relieable)
Thanx in advance Alex from Denmark..
Old 16-12-2004 | 12:35 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Over here, a full rebuild to 400bhp spec and mapping will set you back in the region of 5k depending on various factors....
Old 16-12-2004 | 02:01 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

1.could all cossie owners with some technical knowledgement easy build a relieable 450+ cossie engine?????(complete rebuild ofcourse...????(touring car spech...
i would say no
Old 16-12-2004 | 02:15 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

£10k wiill buy you a genuine 500+bhp T4 equipped fully blue-printed engine (the power would be engine dyno confirmed as well).
Old 16-12-2004 | 03:13 PM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I would say not all cossie owners could build an engine, and a 450bhp engine would cost circa 5k built, so in bits a few quid less, plus if you built it yourself depending on knowledge the risk factor would be higher plus there would be no comeback if it blew up. IMA built his own engine i dont know what his knowledge was prior to building his cossie engine but taking away all the stick he has taken i think it was a damm fine effort
Old 16-12-2004 | 03:51 PM
Alex DK
Virgin

I would also like to know which problems people ran into with there engines doing over 450+bhp,many danish people told me that they are sure that something will blow up,even if its proff build(blueprinted...
How many miles should that engine doo before rebuild if its used everyday on the road and threated wise??????(oil changed,plugs,airfilter,oilfilter regulary..
I dont see so mutch to bee afraid of,if the engine is mapped correct and treated like a WIFE ..
Thanx in advance
Old 16-12-2004 | 08:37 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

I think Mike's engine did 20k miles and would have gone for longer if he hadn't of damaged it and that was at 500bhp....
Old 17-12-2004 | 07:12 AM
Gra
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Old 17-12-2004 | 07:23 AM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Yep, my engine got 20,000 miles of absolute ABUSE - 150+mph at LEAST three times every tankful of fuel . It was still going strong before a roundabout leapt out in front of me . I would say that a careful driver would get 40-60k miles out of one, I think mine would have needed a refresh at 30k miles.

However, be aware that despite the abuse, the oil was changed EVERY 3000 miles (or before - new oil was put in before every track-day etc) and was allowed to properly warm up and down before and after the abuse took place.

Also, it is not the engine's at this power level that need the constant attention - it is the transmission ancilliaries around it that take the abuse (or not ). T5 gearboxes last about 20k (if they are in mint condition to start with), standard diffs struggle to last more than a few months at a time etc (in fact one launch and it is gane over for a standard diff) and the clutch lasts around 10k (Alcon 6-plate paddle).

If you wish, I could arrange for a similar engine to be built for you for £10k that would last the course...
Old 17-12-2004 | 08:58 AM
Alex DK
Virgin

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Yep, my engine got 20,000 miles of absolute ABUSE - 150+mph at LEAST three times every tankful of fuel . It was still going strong before a roundabout leapt out in front of me . I would say that a careful driver would get 40-60k miles out of one, I think mine would have needed a refresh at 30k miles.

However, be aware that despite the abuse, the oil was changed EVERY 3000 miles (or before - new oil was put in before every track-day etc) and was allowed to properly warm up and down before and after the abuse took place.

Also, it is not the engine's at this power level that need the constant attention - it is the transmission ancilliaries around it that take the abuse (or not ). T5 gearboxes last about 20k (if they are in mint condition to start with), standard diffs struggle to last more than a few months at a time etc (in fact one launch and it is gane over for a standard diff) and the clutch lasts around 10k (Alcon 6-plate paddle).

If you wish, I could arrange for a similar engine to be built for you for £10k that would last the course...
Allready got the engine and recce gearbox with xtrac gearkit in,also having atb front diff in thig wall casing and also quaife in the back...
these questions because when i read mags i become a little bit strange to see that people doing over 450 bhp with SATNDARD diffs and BOX sometimes,but ofcourse its a matter of how long before exploding or money????
Many thanks for you replys guys