General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Top gear in belfast sewer

Search this Thread

Old 23-07-2009, 02:11 PM
daviddunlop83
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Top gear in belfast sewer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/8163272.stm

Top Gear goes round bend in Belfast sewer - Belfast Today

Published Date: 22 July 2009
WHIZZING at top speed through cavernous sewers under the city streets may sound more like The Italian Job than reality, but that's exactly what BBC's Top Gear team are revving up for in one of their most bizarre challenges yet.

Motoring guru Jeremy Clarkson has driven in some of the world's most glamorous and dangerous locations but Belfast's new six-mile sewer system is the latest venue to catch his eye.

The straight-talking celebrity is set to arrive in Belfast with his fellow Top Gear presenters Richard Hammond and James May in September
The Belfast Sewers Project was built to ease the pressure on city's sewer network - which dates back to the Victorian era - after it was becoming inadequate due to the expansion of the city.

It is comprised of a six-mile, giant underground pipe from Cromac Street to Duncrue Street and a network of tributary tunnels - and is one of the biggest civil engineering infrastructure projects in the UK.

The £120million project aims to improve water quality in both the River Lagan and Blackstaff while reducing the risk of flooding. It also incorporates the rehabilitation and upgrading of the sewer network to ensure compliance with European Union environmental demands.

The project is due to be in use by early 2010 - a safe distance from when the Top Gear team plan to use the tunnel.

A worker with the Co Antrim based construction firm Farrans, who built the new sewers, said the workers were "all biz" with the idea of the Top Gear team racing in their project.

"They are expected to come this September and will be racing cars through the system," he said.Chairman of the Ulster Motoring Writers Association Derek Black, who has driven cars all over the world, from deserts to ice caps, described the idea as "a novel promo for Belfast".

"Top Gear has already driven to the North Pole. This time they are going down under, though I think they may not make it to Australia," he said.

"It does show that a car can go almost anywhere – unlike a bus or a train.

"It reminds me of the original Italian Job film when the red, white and blue Minis zig-zagged and splashed along a huge Italian culvert with the flagging police Alfa Romeos on their tails.

"I wonder what cars they will be using - maybe something small or a four-wheel drive. It should be hugely entertaining as always."

A spokeswoman for the Top Gear production team has confirmed they are currently in negotiations to race cars in the Belfast sewer.

Found this you tube video on another forum also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6jdyaTf7SE

Would be good if this def goes ahead
Old 23-07-2009, 02:17 PM
24vcossiemat
no more Granada's for me

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tell you what. I know that top gear used to be about testing cars an that, but what they have done to it now I love. theres nothing else like it on telly. 3 blokes just messing about with cars. for a motoring programme they wouldnt have got away with what they do now many years ago.. big up the clarkson clan
Old 23-07-2009, 02:19 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

cool video ,well done to all that who work on the project

cheers james
Old 23-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Strange quote:

"It does show that a car can go almost anywhere – unlike a bus or a train.
Obviously he thinks that no one has ever managed to get a train to go through an underground tunnel
Old 23-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Strange quote:

Obviously he thinks that no one has ever managed to get a train to go through an underground tunnel
Old 24-07-2009, 12:19 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

tunnel diameter isnt as big as i thought!!
Old 24-07-2009, 12:48 AM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
tunnel diameter isnt as big as i thought!!
Its for turds, Not cars
Old 24-07-2009, 03:55 PM
alanfordtw-15
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very cool video
Old 24-07-2009, 04:32 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by daviddunlop83
Would be good if this def goes ahead
It already has!