General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Mounting a 50" plasma on a plasterboard wall - She's up!!

Search this Thread

Old 21-07-2009, 03:10 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts
Default Mounting a 50" plasma on a plasterboard wall - She's up!!

Hi all

I've currently got my 50" telly on a stand, but would prefer to mount it on the wall, however all the exterior walls in my house are insulated then plasterboarded.

I have tried drilling through the plaster board and into the brick, however the drill just winds up and gets snagged by the insulation behind the plaster board so that isnt going to work.

Would the wooden studs that the plaster board fix to take the weight of a rater weighty 50" plasma? Last thing I want is for it to fall off the wall, that'll really ruin my day

Thanks

Rich

Last edited by RichieST; 03-08-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 21-07-2009, 03:12 PM
anodised
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 42 plasma tv is fitted to the wood joists holds it fine
Old 21-07-2009, 03:13 PM
brs
Regular Contributor

Ye should be fine we hang very heavy radiators on plaster board + all the water to go in.
Get some of those metal screw in things (not the plastic ones).
Old 21-07-2009, 03:15 PM
chettle
Regular Contributor

if u get some of these...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84513/...mm-Pack-of-100

i would have thought it would be ok, we used to hang metal trunking up on plasterboard and thats alot heavier than any tv!
Old 21-07-2009, 03:16 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Received 424 Likes on 399 Posts

i would cut a section of the plaster board out about 600 x400 and screw plywood between the joists then screw/bolt your bracket to the plywood.
dont try get a fixing to the exterior blockwork as you will be crossing the cavity and may end up with damp problems.

cheers james
Old 21-07-2009, 03:19 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I mounted a 37" Samsung TV to just plasterboard in my bedroom about 4 months ago. I bought heavy duty fixings that screw into plasterboard and expand out behind them from B&Q, job jobbed. i know it's probably not as heavy as a 50" tv but it can't be far off.
Old 21-07-2009, 03:19 PM
anodised

when i fitted my mount i hung on it to test it before i fitted the tv

but find the wood joists and mount to that and you will be fine

Trending Topics

Old 21-07-2009, 03:20 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Thanks for your replies.

I have tried those plaster board fixings, they wouldnt even hold a floating shelf up! I could have been doing it wrong though

Removing a section of plaster board certainly sounds like a good plan, I would need to do it to run the cables behind the wall anyway!

Could I make my own mount? The brackets they sell in currys etc are a horrific price!!
Old 21-07-2009, 03:21 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Just to add, the link that chettle posted i almost used that stuff, but the ones i used are supposed to be more heavy duty, or you can do what James has said, that was my backup plan.
Old 21-07-2009, 03:21 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by rog
I mounted a 37" Samsung TV to just plasterboard in my bedroom about 4 months ago. I bought heavy duty fixings that screw into plasterboard and expand out behind them from B&Q, job jobbed. i know it's probably not as heavy as a 50" tv but it can't be far off.

Cheers for that, is yours lcd or plasma? Plasma are a lot heavier, I couldn't lift mine on my own!!!
Old 21-07-2009, 03:23 PM
anodised

i got my mount from ebay cost me £10 plus £10 postage and its the same one maplins sell for £50

lcd tv weighs nothing compared to a plasma

Last edited by anodised; 21-07-2009 at 03:25 PM.
Old 21-07-2009, 03:25 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The bracket i bought was from John Lewis with the TV, it was about £65 i think. My TV is LCD. These are similar to the screws I used, don't look like much but they're strong as fuck, when you tighten it up the metal expands behind the plasterboard.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11143/...2mm-Pack-of-10
Old 21-07-2009, 03:28 PM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Rich, is the type of fixings you used not the other ones we are talking about, there is small plasterboard ones but there is others that slot in and expand behind the plasterboard to a massive area. they might do it otherwise cut the board out and fix in blockboard between your joists and hey presto job done, obviously cover back up again!!
Old 21-07-2009, 03:31 PM
anodised

Originally Posted by rog
The bracket i bought was from John Lewis with the TV, it was about £65 i think. My TV is LCD. These are similar to the screws I used, don't look like much but they're strong as fuck, when you tighten it up the metal expands behind the plasterboard.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/11143/...2mm-Pack-of-10

they will not hold a plasma tv ive got a 42inch plasma and its about 3 or 4 times the weight of my 46inch Lcd
Old 21-07-2009, 03:35 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Oh well better not try it.....or it may be a costly excercise. Having said that they are VERY strong and would easily suppost atleast double the weight of the TV that I've got on there no problem. Depends what your comfortable with I guess.
Old 21-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Cozzy111
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Mongel fixings can get them from screwfix, its what i use to hang large radiators to plasterboard walls! put plenty of them in!!
Old 21-07-2009, 03:42 PM
nuttynil
RS nutta

Originally Posted by james kiely
i would cut a section of the plaster board out about 600 x400 and screw plywood between the joists then screw/bolt your bracket to the plywood.
dont try get a fixing to the exterior blockwork as you will be crossing the cavity and may end up with damp problems.

cheers james
i think you should at least mount it to the stud work i wouldnt trust just plaster board neil
Old 21-07-2009, 03:47 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

them little screws ain't gonna hold shit

right then, find the studs

and, if you need to, remove the plasterboard to locate them

use lots of fixings, more than you'll need, because the last thing you want is for it to drop on the floor

i used 12 M8 raw bolts to hold my 42" plasma bracket into solid brickwork

i used 6 M12 raw bolts to hold my 50" plasma

trust me, the plasterboard wall is no way going to take 50+ kgs on some little screws, they are for hanging small pictures up with from the looks of them

if you want to mount to the solid wall behind, you can use some dpm but you'll need to inslute the whole section you are going to fix too otherwise, as stated above, you are going to have a damp issue sooner or later

best option would be to probably fix through the studs and then tie into that to be extra secure

it also depends on the bracket you buy as to how many holes you get, if your bracket is to be used in congunction with some M12 bolts then the holes are going to be massivly larger than them piddly little screw heads

if in doubt, ask an expert who will give you the correct advice after surveying the properlty
Old 21-07-2009, 03:49 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Cozzy111
Mongel fixings can get them from screwfix, its what i use to hang large radiators to plasterboard walls! put plenty of them in!!

as the guy said earlier on, he used them to put up metal trunking, but he must have been using millions of them, we've got 4 that hold up a small electric radiator on the wall here, but i've banged it with the chair and it's rattling and loose now
Old 21-07-2009, 03:57 PM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i seriously wouldnt hang a thousand pound tv on a platerboard fixing

if its been baterned out its prob gonna be 19x38 or 25x38 batterns, theres no reason why you cant drill through into the block/brick behind and either plug and screw or as above a heavy duty raw bolt, im sure 4 8mm plugs either side with 100mm screws will hold it fine

if a rad drops due to shit fixings its only gonna fall 6inchs but if your tv goes its gonna smash and everything else below it

also youll be very surpirsed how strong platerboard is when its fixed at the standard 400mm centres so theres no need to worry about it giving way

Last edited by bad boy rs; 21-07-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 21-07-2009, 03:59 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Cheers all for the advice, I've found the weight of my telly and its 41kg, to put that into perspective its nearly 2 of these

Although those expanding plugs may do it, I certainly wouldnt be able to sleep at night!!!

I think the best way would be to find a couple of the studs in the wall. How far apart should they be roughly?

Rich
Old 21-07-2009, 04:09 PM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is it stud wall or is the block work batterned ?

they will be 400mm centres mate standard measurement, if its a proper tv wall bracket im certain 8 100mm screws will be fine, does the kit not come with fixings
Old 21-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Cozzy111

Originally Posted by dojj
them little screws ain't gonna hold shit

right then, find the studs

and, if you need to, remove the plasterboard to locate them

use lots of fixings, more than you'll need, because the last thing you want is for it to drop on the floor

i used 12 M8 raw bolts to hold my 42" plasma bracket into solid brickwork

i used 6 M12 raw bolts to hold my 50" plasma

trust me, the plasterboard wall is no way going to take 50+ kgs on some little screws, they are for hanging small pictures up with from the looks of them

if you want to mount to the solid wall behind, you can use some dpm but you'll need to inslute the whole section you are going to fix too otherwise, as stated above, you are going to have a damp issue sooner or later

best option would be to probably fix through the studs and then tie into that to be extra secure

it also depends on the bracket you buy as to how many holes you get, if your bracket is to be used in congunction with some M12 bolts then the holes are going to be massivly larger than them piddly little screw heads

if in doubt, ask an expert who will give you the correct advice after surveying the properlty
Like i said which was my opinion, mongel fixings which are bolts not screws,!!
we hang 2.5 meter radiators on these bolts infact we have hanged hundreds of them which are when full of water would be 3 times heavier than a plasma, and if there was any chance of them coming loose or falling off we wouldn't use them as think of the damage it would cause the customer!! infact my tv is wall hung with these fixings and the wall would come down first!!!!!

These are similar to what we use
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83846/...-12-Pack-of-20

Last edited by Cozzy111; 21-07-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 21-07-2009, 04:17 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chettle
if u get some of these...

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/84513/...mm-Pack-of-100

i would have thought it would be ok, we used to hang metal trunking up on plasterboard and thats alot heavier than any tv!

please if you use this method put some cushions underneath the tv and film it as you step away
Old 21-07-2009, 04:20 PM
bad boy rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

^ ^ ^

i wouldnt hang a fucking picture on them
Old 21-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Cozzy111

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/83846/...-12-Pack-of-20
Old 21-07-2009, 05:04 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by bad boy rs
is it stud wall or is the block work batterned ?

they will be 400mm centres mate standard measurement, if its a proper tv wall bracket im certain 8 100mm screws will be fine, does the kit not come with fixings

I was going to make a bracket at work out of some square steel tube, I'm not paying 100 odd quid for something I can easily make! I was going to attach 2 lenghts of tubing along the top and bottom of the tv, then attach the bars to the wall somehow.

I'm not sure what the difference between a stud wall or batterned block work, but its an exterior wall with insulation (same insulation as whats in my loft) then wooden studs and then the plasterboard.

I have used those fixings that spread out behind the plasterboard before in the kitchen, but for some reason my house has 2 layers of plasterboard so they wouldn't go in far enough to spread out and hold anything securely.
Old 21-07-2009, 05:29 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

rich imho you will end up with the tv on the ground with plasterboard fixings
it sounds to me like you live in a timber framed house and it may have a double plasterboard slab to achieve a certain fire rating.if you can locate 2 uptsanding studs,use a studfinder[available in b&q etc] cut out the plaster board between the studs which are usually at 400mm centres but can be at 600mm centres.
you can either cut the plasterboard halfway on the stud,or fix another batten to the inside of the stud.
fix your plywood to the stud i would use 3/4 inch ply and then screw your bracket to the plywood and hang your tv.

cheers james
Old 21-07-2009, 05:35 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Ok mate thanks for the advice! Now just gotta work out how to run the wires behind the plasterboard, but that should be easy

Cheers!
Old 21-07-2009, 07:01 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well i can assure you that i've used them on my 37" LCD samsung tv and they're more than up to the job, it's been there for about 4 fucking months so i think it'll be ok.... Ok it my not be ideally suited to a 50" plasma but thats your decision, i bought them purely on the description on the pack after having looked at several other options, they are for "Heavy Duty" use, wtf does that tell you.
Old 21-07-2009, 07:21 PM
89xr2
Brap!

Cut the plasterboard out where you want to put the bracket and then fix wood between the existing battons onto the brickwork and then screw directly into the wood you've fixed. Doesnt need to be neat as it's hidden behind the tv.
Old 21-07-2009, 07:26 PM
james kiely
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by rog
Well i can assure you that i've used them on my 37" LCD samsung tv and they're more than up to the job, it's been there for about 4 fucking months so i think it'll be ok.... Ok it my not be ideally suited to a 50" plasma but thats your decision, i bought them purely on the description on the pack after having looked at several other options, they are for "Heavy Duty" use, wtf does that tell you.

rog i have no doubt they are heavy duty fixings,but it is impossible to tell how securely the plasterboard has been fixed to the studs or where a joint in the platerboard may be ,which would be a weak point.
they may very well take the weight ,but if you get a kid pulling out of the tv the fixings could loosen over time unknown to you and a accident may be just around the corner.

better safe than sorry imo.

cheers james
Old 21-07-2009, 07:36 PM
daveselwood
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

use solvite wall paper adhesive i can remember an advert were a man was dangling above a shark on a piece of ply ,i bet he ways more than your tv
Old 21-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Dan1281

the best way to do it is to drill right through the studs into the brick and use a lot of big raw bolts

like these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Plas-Raw-Rawl-...3%3A1|294%3A50
Old 21-07-2009, 11:17 PM
cjwood555
Advanced PassionFord User

I favour anchor fixing / rawlbolts. You still need to put ply/timber between the blockwork and plasterboard though as A) the bolts need to pull against something to expand; and B) tightening the bracket against a pre-expanded bolt will cave in the plasterboard.

Dojj - you do not need that many fixings! See http://www.constructionfixings.com/A...olt%20type.pdf

According to that datasheet, the maximum shear load on a single M6 shield anchor bolt in blockwork is 1.8kN = around 180kg! The only reason for using multiple bolts is to stop the thing moving.

Chris
Old 21-07-2009, 11:35 PM
Dan1281

Originally Posted by cjwood555
I favour anchor fixing / rawlbolts. You still need to put ply/timber between the blockwork and plasterboard though as A) the bolts need to pull against something to expand; and B) tightening the bracket against a pre-expanded bolt will cave in the plasterboard.

Dojj - you do not need that many fixings! See http://www.constructionfixings.com/A...olt%20type.pdf

According to that datasheet, the maximum shear load on a single M6 shield anchor bolt in blockwork is 1.8kN = around 180kg! The only reason for using multiple bolts is to stop the thing moving.

Chris
i'm pretty sure the bolt would pull through the brick before it shears though, but yeah, a sheet of plywood between the mounting bracket and the plasterboard would be needed
Old 22-07-2009, 08:18 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuck that

I hung my 50" plasma onto a main brick retaining wall using six M10 Rawl Bolts and even then I wasn't happy about the security of them

I also bought my VESA bracket from Ebay - cost £30 delivered
Old 22-07-2009, 09:25 AM
rik-rs
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 137 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by daveselwood
use solvite wall paper adhesive i can remember an advert were a man was dangling above a shark on a piece of ply ,i bet he ways more than your tv

pmsl
Old 22-07-2009, 09:34 AM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

What about "no more nails"
Old 22-07-2009, 11:11 AM
moesin2005
PassionFord Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gripfill lol

Quick Reply: Mounting a 50" plasma on a plasterboard wall - She's up!!