General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How happy are you in your job?

Search this Thread

Old 20-07-2009, 03:03 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
Default How happy are you in your job?

As above really im so pissed off coming here now i hate geting out of bed in the morning different if i was getting a decent wage.I work as a warranty clerk for a bmw & mini dealership i claim nearly 1 & 3 quarter million worth of repairs per year i was off on the sick for 7 weeks & came back to a complete mess & because the jobs wernt closed properly ppl didnt make bonus.All this for 17k a year including bonus what made it worse is reading the post about some of the wages you guys are on im on pennys.
Trouble is i have no idea what i want to do next i would be driving a parts delivery van with less hastle for the same money im getting in here.
Anyone else in the same situation ? i work monday to froday 8.30 - 5.30 & every 2nd sat half day
Old 20-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm on loan at the moment to one of our partners (currently im working for shell) and its ok, but including the commuting time in and out of london it makes for quite a long day, so I dont think I would want to do it very long term as im getting very little spare time at the moment.
Money is good though as I get paid overtime for 4 hours a day to cover my travel, so cant complain overall, but not sure where im going next, so got no real job security or consistancy at the moment.
Wages wise in on about 80K currently, but thats including overtime and isnt my normal wages which is not much over half that, but thats based on a 4 day week etc, so im quite looking forward to getting back to my normal cosy office life despite the drop on money.

Overall, 7/10 I guess

Last edited by Chip; 20-07-2009 at 03:12 PM.
Old 20-07-2009, 03:09 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Hmmm I'm not the happiest but that's cause I don't feel like there's any structure to what I do, and I'm not kept busy enough. The money is good so that's why I'm not in a hurry to leave. I keep getting phonecalls from various agencies about the same job (offshore) but I'm not going to give this up just for the sake of it. I get home every night and have weekends off, you don't get that on a rig. I think you should get your CV together and really sell yourself and get into another line of work but related to your skills.
Old 20-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Its shit how these jobs at garages are poor-ish pay

You work 5 days one week then 5.5-6 days the next

I dont like my job, not hard job in reality but i think theres not many that do enjoy there work

I work sunday night nightshift and wed/thurday daysshift and earn roughly the same, reason i only do 3 shifts is because i reduced my hours 2 years ago to do my valeting business that i just closed down 2 weeks ago as no fucker spends money now lol

previous to that i have earned 24+k for 3/4 years

Now the missus works full time and i look after the bairn when im not working and we pay some fucker to look after them aswell when were both working

Last edited by Csm; 20-07-2009 at 03:18 PM.
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Im very lucky that i do i job i love.

Still get pi$$ed off at times but i wouldn't change jobs

Steve
anodised
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont really like who i work for but being in security they are all the same so i stick do the job i know rather than moving jobs and not liking the next one

going to get my lgv class 1 next year with some luck
Old 20-07-2009, 03:18 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

I work as a cementer ofshore,up till a couple of days ago i was quite happy,i came offshore friday morning straight into a cement job,then did another 2 the next day.i have spent the last 3 days cleaning up slimy cement and pushing water about underneath 2 big pumps and the engines.i used to be a self employed plumber on better money,no boss and a lot of job satisfaction,i feel like im wasted and that ill never get my head around all the wasteful paperwork that needs done.im a trainee just now so the money isnt great,around 25k but it goes up a lot when i get broken out so thats why im staying.dont know what my ideal job would be but it wouldnt involve cement,water and a mop!
Old 20-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by cossie4i
Im very lucky that i do i job i love.

Still get pi$$ed off at times but i wouldn't change jobs

Steve
what do you do then mate?
what is the pay like?
Old 20-07-2009, 03:22 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Originally Posted by Chip
what do you do then mate?
what is the pay like?
Every young boys dream LOL

Im a Train Driver, Ł42450.

Steve
Old 20-07-2009, 03:23 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Some people have it lucky, by that I mean they end up loving their job. Personally I'd love to be a mechanic, but i know it doesn't pay very well so I stayed away from it. But my Mrs loves her job in a school. I suppose if I really wanted to proioritize career happiness over my finances i'd give it all up and bwecome a mechanic, but then that obviously effects your home life and other aspects which will piss you off. To coin a phrase "It's all about a healthy balance.."
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Carlo, as you know, I worked at Arnold Clark. Was there 5 year. Hated every day of it. Left there in January, working for my dad now. I am so much happier in general and everyone does comment on how happier I seem.

Working in a garage is a long hard day, very stressful!
gus
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

i love my job

just hate it when this credit crunch kicked in

love it when im busy, the more work i have the happier i am
Old 20-07-2009, 03:25 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by 155lee
I work as a cementer ofshore,up till a couple of days ago i was quite happy,i came offshore friday morning straight into a cement job,then did another 2 the next day.i have spent the last 3 days cleaning up slimy cement and pushing water about underneath 2 big pumps and the engines.i used to be a self employed plumber on better money,no boss and a lot of job satisfaction,i feel like im wasted and that ill never get my head around all the wasteful paperwork that needs done.im a trainee just now so the money isnt great,around 25k but it goes up a lot when i get broken out so thats why im staying.dont know what my ideal job would be but it wouldnt involve cement,water and a mop!
I hope you sprayed Diesel on the unit first to make it easier to cleanup???
Old 20-07-2009, 03:27 PM
stevenebm
post whore

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

love my job.im on 32k basic and just got my p60 in and hit 41k.im still fooking skint thowe get a 1.5k bonus every october which im looking forward to so i an finish my car.i would be suicidal if i lost my job as me and the boys say its like working in disneyland.puttin green,gym etc we can use.
Old 20-07-2009, 03:28 PM
5t1g
Shotgun Bunter

I work sales for a printing and document management company. Earn 29k per year after tax etc.

Enjoyable, esp after being office based for so long. Getting out an meeting clients and also going on meetings that you yourself have worked so hard to setup is a real improvement on my last job. Hours can be long and lost a few major clients last sales year (majority house builders) but gained a few so it's evening itself out.

Only my 3rd job but is my best yet!
Old 20-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Crowder
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I dont hate it, but i guess i had to put myself out of my comfort zone. I moved out of my just renovated house in southampton (cost me my rs and many a cut and bruise) cosy life. To move to exeter for a promotion which i worked my bollocks off to get!

I rent my place out back home so go to parents if i come back at weekends. So i guess i can be pretty pissed off some days when im here in exeter not knowing anyone. But its all worth it in the end i hope lol!!! get back there in a year or two and be in a much stronger position hopefully. though to answer your question 6/10

Crowds.
Old 20-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Chip

Every young boys dream LOL

Im a Train Driver, Ł42450.

Steve

Cool

Seems like a job that with relatively little (compared to professional roles requiring a levels and a degree) education you can earn good money driving a train, mate of mine was on the underground and was earning even more than that, and his hours were a joke, he was on a nightshift but his last train was only a couple of hours after he started then he had nothing to do so just used to sleep the rest of it
Old 20-07-2009, 03:32 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my job, the pay, how close it is to home....just hate the obnoxious fu*kwits I work with!
Old 20-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by COCHYN
Love my job, the pay, how close it is to home....just hate the obnoxious fu*kwits I work with!
You should hear what they say about you
Old 20-07-2009, 03:37 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Cool

Seems like a job that with relatively little (compared to professional roles requiring a levels and a degree) education you can earn good money driving a train, mate of mine was on the underground and was earning even more than that, and his hours were a joke, he was on a nightshift but his last train was only a couple of hours after he started then he had nothing to do so just used to sleep the rest of it
I am a Professional

Steve
Old 20-07-2009, 03:40 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

I just get pissed off the money i make the company & dont get paid for the responsibility i have! i could be driving for partco or such likes with virtually no car in the world plus im out & about all day not sat in here, My head is up my ass with it
Old 20-07-2009, 03:41 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

You should hear what they say about you
Fortunately, the retards I work with aren't too bright and normally step out of line...nice that I get to sack people
Old 20-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by COCHYN
Kinda in the same situation, like the job, the pay is good , close to home etc etc But the 2 women I work with are the most awful people I have ever had to work with. They both are very insecure in their jobs for whatever reason and take that out on myself and the other girl who sits next to me. It gets quite nasty in here some weeks
THE Q
MAD STAMP OF APPROVAL

I really hate my job, having to watch Top Gear being filmed and if thats not happening, watching Mclaren test their new supercar..... Shit job, but someones got to do it...
Chip

I am a Professional
Didnt say you werent mate, I just said that to get into your profession takes less education than those roles which are "professional and require a levels and a degree" (ie 6 years or more unpaid while you train!) so is a good option for people who dont want to do that amount of education just to get a decent wage.

Last edited by Chip; 20-07-2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old 20-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by THE Q
I really hate my job, having to watch Top Gear being filmed and if thats not happening, watching Mclaren test their new supercar..... Shit job, but someones got to do it...
If you need anyone to cover for you anytime then i'll give it a go, providing its not covering for you in terms of covering the space you take up, as id need to bring a couple of mates along to help me do that
Old 20-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by carlo
I just get pissed off the money i make the company & dont get paid for the responsibility i have! i could be driving for partco or such likes with virtually no car in the world plus im out & about all day not sat in here, My head is up my ass with it
Sounds shit to me mate, get doing something about it and find a better job
Old 20-07-2009, 03:47 PM
THE Q
MAD STAMP OF APPROVAL

If you need anyone to cover for you anytime then i'll give it a go, providing its not covering for you in terms of covering the space you take up, as id need to bring a couple of mates along to help me do that

After eating 2 main meals and a pudding, can't believe you said that, i'm hurt Are you going Tuesday?
Old 20-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Chip

Yes mate, I'll see you there tomorrow and we can both nibble on nobbies nuts
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Im going to mate there is a new parts place local opening andy g is going to speak to one the guys for me
Chip

good luck then fella
Old 20-07-2009, 04:02 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dont like my job or happy with it. I feel like I have no prospects and no room to move up the ladder.

Need out of it desperately!

Im not paid that well either!
Old 20-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Porkie
20K+ Super Poster.

NEVER EVER been happier at work Love my job and the people I work with

Hope the new thing works out Carlo.

Life toooo short to be unhappy mate
Old 20-07-2009, 04:04 PM
spinus
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by anodised
i dont really like who i work for but being in security they are all the same so i stick do the job i know rather than moving jobs and not liking the next one

going to get my lgv class 1 next year with some luck
got made redundant so i did my class 2 then class 1 ,as your class 2 is your provisional for your class 1. you have to take a few crappy driving jobs before you get nice jobs ,trucks etc but i love my artic job i,ve got now,the pay isn,t to bad either as i only do 40 hours a week. best move i made
Old 20-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Chip

What are your hours like Porkie, and how is the stress as my view of city folk has always been they are a heart attack waiting for someone to happen

I assume you wont want to talk about your wages but im guessing we can at least assume its very very comfortably over the 100K mark with bonuses etc?
Old 20-07-2009, 04:09 PM
THE Q
MAD STAMP OF APPROVAL

What are your hours like Porkie, and how is the stress as my view of city folk has always been they are a heart attack waiting for someone to happen

I assume you wont want to talk about your wages but im guessing we can at least assume its very very comfortably over the 100K mark with bonuses etc?

Lucky man if your getting paid that amount whilst the current market place is what it's at... Good for you!
Old 20-07-2009, 04:09 PM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Thanks lee im never going to go anywhere in here so i might as well do something else that i would like better even tho driving a van i wont be bettering myself but it would beat sitting in here by a country mile
Old 20-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by THE Q
Lucky man if your getting paid that amount whilst the current market place is what it's at... Good for you!
He didnt say anything mate and im only guessing!

Up to Lee if he wants to give any info, I would imagine he is worried people will think he is showing off, but I think most people would actually be really interested in what he does and how much he earns if he was prepared to talk about it, not to mention how he got to that position in the first place.
Old 20-07-2009, 04:11 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
Kinda in the same situation, like the job, the pay is good , close to home etc etc But the 2 women I work with are the most awful people I have ever had to work with. They both are very insecure in their jobs for whatever reason and take that out on myself and the other girl who sits next to me. It gets quite nasty in here some weeks
Ah well you see, that's a different problem all together. Not being sexist, but women in work place, much like most places are well bitchy. Will do anything to get ahead in their job. Used to work with a team of 7 women, me and another bloke....christ, males had to know their place
Old 20-07-2009, 04:12 PM
THE Q
MAD STAMP OF APPROVAL

He didnt say anything mate and im only guessing!

Up to Lee if he wants to give any info, I would imagine he is worried people will think he is showing off, but I think most people would actually be really interested in what he does and how much he earns if he was prepared to talk about it, not to mention how he got to that position in the first place.

What postion does he have?? What does this man do?? Is it TOP SERCET

Quick Reply: How happy are you in your job?