General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

12 month jail term for speeding

Search this Thread

Old 19-07-2009, 12:59 PM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 12 month jail term for speeding

http://www.thisishullandeastriding.c...l/article.html

discuss
Old 19-07-2009, 01:05 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

12 months in jail s a bit harsh id say when people get less for stabbing and maiming.
i got a 4 year ban for 132 in a 60 back in 1995
Old 19-07-2009, 01:08 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thats harsh
Old 19-07-2009, 01:12 PM
Ian M500COS
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course the copper following on an unmarked bike, at the same 139mph speed whilst adjusting his video equipment, talking on his radio and scratching his snout with his trotter was completely safe.
Old 19-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

fuck that !! just watching the video gave me the 'wiggies' - on a motorbike at that sort of speed must be the most adrenaline pumping experience you can get !!!

12 months is a bit harsh.. but then if he'd lost control of the bike at that speed, he'd probably be dead..
Old 19-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ian M500COS
Of course the copper following on an unmarked bike, at the same 139mph speed whilst adjusting his video equipment, talking on his radio and scratching his snout with his trotter was completely safe.
Old 19-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Fil
ELASTIC BAND

Received 98 Likes on 89 Posts

and ordered to take an extended driving test after that.
why? if he didn't crash at 139mph hows that going to help.

12months prison tho, just a bit harsh, you'd get less for a mugging etc

Trending Topics

Old 19-07-2009, 01:41 PM
alistairolsen

IMHO he did the crime and deserved some time, but jail and 4 years is harsh, 'cos police driver who've killed people dont get a lot more. Seems they werent punishing him for what he did, but what 'could' have happened as a result.

As for the police bike, Im aware they have a dispensation and get advanced training, but to claim its safe to do 140 while on the radio and suchlike is nonsense. How the police in scotland can drive and use a radio, yet mobile phone use is illegal is also beyond me. The advanced driver training is a fucking joke as well, a scandinavian driving test is tougher.

having been in a similar situation and got a ban for DD where there was no speeding and no accident, I would say there has been a steady progression sentencing in this country away from the reduced pleas of careless driving and suchlike in the past. I'll leave you with the thoughts of my lawyer:

"This is the way things are going and there for the grace of God go we"
Old 19-07-2009, 03:11 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If it was dangerous copper wouldn't have followed at same speeds.
Old 19-07-2009, 05:19 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

12 months in jail thats just shit.
Old 19-07-2009, 05:23 PM
B_E_N
Part of the Furniture

when i was 17, i had a 50cc supermoto, was always into doin stunts etc, i did a wheelie stood on the seat down a dual carriageway for bout 1/8 of a mile with a copper to cars behind me, i kno it was stupid like but av defo learnt from my mistakes

when i went to court i was being charged for dangerous driving, i pleedin guilty etc and luckily they reduced it to driving with lack of due care and attention, i ended p with a £150 fine and banned for 28 days, i was lucky tho, they sed if i had pleeded not guilty, its possible i would have got 2 years inside!!!
Old 19-07-2009, 05:26 PM
rstirl

That's well harsh.
Old 19-07-2009, 06:18 PM
RichieST
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 449 Likes on 397 Posts

Harsh yes, but i bet he won't do it again!

About time the government turned all these old disused buildings that are so common place these days into prisons, so people who deserve to be in prison can be locked up for longer.
Old 19-07-2009, 06:38 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

harsh yes.

The government does seem to be on a motoring bashing phase last few years.

ive never understood thier imprisoning policy for "percieved risk". yeah potentially he could have run into a crowd standing at a bus stop, BUT he didnt.

Seems insane to me that someone can go to prison for "taking risks" for much much longer than you and I would go for prison for actually hurting people in a punch up/mugging etc.
Old 19-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

pmsl @Ian
scratching his snout with his trotter
Old 19-07-2009, 06:51 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

we all have kitchen knives in our houses , should we all be charged with attempted murder just in case we might brandish one in an arguement with a neighbour? thats a perceived risk
Old 19-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

exactly fuzzy

I think the ban and retest and maybe a massive fine is embuggerance enough to punnish him fairly. Using public transport is punnishment enough IMO.
Old 19-07-2009, 08:15 PM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Using public transport is punnishment enough IMO.

I concur wholeheartedly!
Old 20-07-2009, 05:45 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

did nobody else forget the rest of the story and just chuckle at the place name of 'wetwang'?
Old 20-07-2009, 06:19 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

A year in prison for that? FFS what is this world coming to!

And if it was a filthy pikey scum who had stolen that bike and done that, NO WAY would the pikey have been given a year in jail, no fucking way, slapped wrist and home in time for tea.
Old 20-07-2009, 06:53 AM
FiestaMike
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

exactly fuzzy

I think the ban and retest and maybe a massive fine is embuggerance enough to punnish him fairly. Using public transport is punnishment enough IMO.
+1
Old 20-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

MISLEADING THREAT TITLE ALERT.

A MOTORCYCLIST who was followed by police at speeds of up to 139mph on an East Riding road has been jailed for dangerous driving.
It wasnt for speeding, blatantly, speed was only a part of the reason they established a guilty verdict of dangerous driving.
Old 20-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Chip

harsh yes.

The government does seem to be on a motoring bashing phase last few years.

ive never understood thier imprisoning policy for "percieved risk". yeah potentially he could have run into a crowd standing at a bus stop, BUT he didnt.

Seems insane to me that someone can go to prison for "taking risks" for much much longer than you and I would go for prison for actually hurting people in a punch up/mugging etc.
Agreed especially as if you hit someone in a punch up you DO risk killing them, there have been several documented cases in recent years of someone just "giving someone a bit of a slap" which has resulted in a death as a result of them falling and hitting their head etc, so I would argue there is the same risk of death in both cases.

Parity of sentance has NEVER applied to motorists compared to non motorist offences though!
Old 20-07-2009, 08:52 AM
lead_foot
is awesome

Originally Posted by Chip
just "giving someone a bit of a slap"
Like the night before TOTB 2007?
Old 20-07-2009, 09:05 AM
alistairolsen

MISLEADING THREAT TITLE ALERT.

It wasnt for speeding, blatantly, speed was only a part of the reason they established a guilty verdict of dangerous driving.

So other than his speed, what other aspect was dangerous? regardless of what they sentenced him with, the bottom line is all he did wrong was break the speed limit.

hence anyone on here doing 170 up a motorway int he middle of the night could face the same charges and sentence
Old 20-07-2009, 09:07 AM
ram
Has a large member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
did nobody else forget the rest of the story and just chuckle at the place name of 'wetwang'?
Old 20-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by lead_foot
Like the night before TOTB 2007?
Fuck off you cunt
Old 20-07-2009, 09:09 AM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We had a biker in for 145.9 mph and as it was just a speeding charge he was banned for 6 months but this bloke got exactly what he desserved, if you behaive like a twat expect to get treated like one. For a lot of people who get banned for dangerous driving it can mean never driving legally again as the extended test is the same practical one you have to take to become a driving instructor !
Old 20-07-2009, 09:10 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
So other than his speed, what other aspect was dangerous? regardless of what they sentenced him with, the bottom line is all he did wrong was break the speed limit.
Some of the overtakes could easily have spooked oncoming traffic.

hence anyone on here doing 170 up a motorway int he middle of the night could face the same charges and sentence
Your braking distance at 170mph is so far that I can understand the reasoning for that, although on an empty motorway personally I think its not a problem, but then it would only take a tyre blown out that you didnt see in time in the dark at that speed to change my mind I guess!
Old 20-07-2009, 09:13 AM
uruk hai

the bottom line is all he did wrong was break the speed limit.
If he had only broke the speed limit the dangerous driving charge would never have stood up in court as its not easy to get a prosecution for dangerous driving/riding, IMO the bloke is nuttier than a shit house rat and lucky to be alive never mind banned !
alistairolsen

Some of the overtakes could easily have spooked oncoming traffic.

Your braking distance at 170mph is so far that I can understand the reasoning for that, although on an empty motorway personally I think its not a problem, but then it would only take a tyre blown out that you didnt see in time in the dark at that speed to change my mind I guess!
indeed, I dont want to get into an argument over semantics, but the bottom line is, if you ask most people on here, they have broken the speed limit by gross amounts, if you ask them if they drive dangerously, they will all say no.

The point of this post was that for speeding which people will admit to the courts are handing out custodial sentences.
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by uruk hai
If he had only broke the speed limit the dangerous driving charge would never have stood up in court as its not easy to get a prosecution for dangerous driving/riding, IMO the bloke is nuttier than a shit house rat and lucky to be alive never mind banned !
Believe me its not that hard
Old 20-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Chip

Are you able to talk about the case I think you are referring to, or is that something that the person involved would sooner not talk about?
As that IMHO was a perfect example of a ridiculous over reaction and assignment of completely the wrong offence, it was due care at worst not dangerous and the tragic results were nothing more than misfortune.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:18 AM
uruk hai

It is in the court I work in which is why when people try and cop a plea for a lesser charge the CPS can and sometimes do go along with it incase the magistrates or DJ dont find the evidence supports the dangerous driving charge and people rarely go to prisson for speeding alone, a custodial would normaly result from aggrivating factors such as careless or dangerous driving and not just speed.

Last edited by uruk hai; 20-07-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:19 AM
Chip

indeed, I dont want to get into an argument over semantics, but the bottom line is, if you ask most people on here, they have broken the speed limit by gross amounts, if you ask them if they drive dangerously, they will all say no.

The point of this post was that for speeding which people will admit to the courts are handing out custodial sentences.
One thing you need to remember is that in countries like germany where such speeds as the one you mention (170 on an empty motorway) are permitted, the cars are in a much better state of mechanical repair, tyres are decided if they are safe not just on corrosion and wear, but also on age, as an example, likewise all modifications to the car must have been TUV approved etc.

So most people on here with a car like my own, which is capable of 170, would not be allowed to do so if they registered their car in germany, as the car wouldnt be legal as a german car.
Uk people doing big speeds in germany is legal of course, but only because the germans have no way of imposing their stricter standards on UK cars due to the way the EU works

Last edited by Chip; 20-07-2009 at 09:25 AM.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:27 AM
alistairolsen

Originally Posted by uruk hai
It is in the court I work in which is why when people try and cop a plea for a lesser charge the CPS can and sometimes do go along with it incase the magistrates or DJ dont find the evidence supports the dangerous driving charge and people rarely go to prisson for speeding alone, a custodial would normaly result from aggrivating factors such as careless or dangerous driving and not just speed.
I agree its difficult to uphold the custodial without aggravating factors, but a simple dangerous driving conviction with the imposed minimum ban is very easy and requires almost no evidence.

Are you able to talk about the case I think you are referring to, or is that something that the person involved would sooner not talk about?
As that IMHO was a perfect example of a ridiculous over reaction and assignment of completely the wrong offence, it was due care at worst not dangerous and the tragic results were nothing more than misfortune.
Id rather not discuss it on here tbh.

One thing you need to remember is that in countries like germany where such speeds as the one you mention (170 on an empty motorway) are permitted, the cars are in a much better state of mechanical repair, tyres are decided if they are safe not just on corrosion and wear, but also on age, as an example, likewise all modifications to the car must have been TUV approved etc.

So most people on here with a car like my own, which is capable of 170, would not be allowed to do so in their car in germany, as the car wouldnt be legal as a german car.
oh I understand that, the point is was making is that a lot of people on here have done similar to this biker, and the majority of those would not expect the potential consequences to amount to a jail sentence
Old 20-07-2009, 09:30 AM
Chip

I agree its difficult to uphold the custodial without aggravating factors, but a simple dangerous driving conviction with the imposed minimum ban is very easy and requires almost no evidence.
I disagree, Ive been to court for dangerous driving and they failed to get a conviction, had they gone for due care they would have had no problems.
(was doing a gigantic burnout at a cruise with video evidence against me)

Id rather not discuss it on here tbh.
understood

oh I understand that, the point i was making is that a lot of people on here have done similar to this biker, and the majority of those would not expect the potential consequences to amount to a jail sentence
Agreed, I dont think many people realise its their liberty they are risking not just their license, but I think you are mistaken on the extent of that Risk

Deano from MAD was convicted just over a year ago now for 168mph on a motorway, and he got a 6 month ban and no custodial.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:33 AM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

but thank god some police actually use there head at times, i got caught speeding on an empty motorway late at night wasn't quite 170mph i was a good 30mph off that but mister officer took the " conditions " into it and just gave me 3 points and £60 was nice of him to one actually do that and two explain why he did most of them would have just banned me because they could
Old 20-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What exacly did he do that was dangerous ? in the video he didnt make any dodgy over takes, didnt run wide on any bends, didnt nearly hit anyone else all he was doing was going fast.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:41 AM
uruk hai

Obviously I can only draw from my own experiance with the cases we see and deal with and I dont know of one case of dangerous driving that was a simple conviction which I think is why the sentancing guide lines for careless driving were changed to provide an alternative should a succesful prosecution for dangerous driving be unlikely.

Last edited by uruk hai; 20-07-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Quick Reply: 12 month jail term for speeding