General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

12 month jail term for speeding

Search this Thread

Old 20-07-2009, 09:43 AM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
What exacly did he do that was dangerous ? all he was doing was going fast.
and thats all that is required to constitute dangerous driving. A prolonged period of driving at speeds deemed unsuitable for the prevailing conditions can be seen as being:

“far below what would be expected of a competent and careful driver”,

and it could be argued that it would “be obvious to a competent and careful driver that driving in that way would be dangerous”.

Where in Scottish law that competent and careful drver is the sheriff and the sherrif only
Old 20-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Alps, not on that short video, on the one that was released ages ago (unless I have the cases mistaken) he was overtaking on the brow of a hill at massive speed

Last edited by Chip; 20-07-2009 at 09:46 AM.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:47 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
One thing you need to remember is that in countries like germany where such speeds as the one you mention (170 on an empty motorway) are permitted, the cars are in a much better state of mechanical repair, tyres are decided if they are safe not just on corrosion and wear, but also on age, as an example, likewise all modifications to the car must have been TUV approved etc.

So most people on here with a car like my own, which is capable of 170, would not be allowed to do so if they registered their car in germany, as the car wouldnt be legal as a german car.
Uk people doing big speeds in germany is legal of course, but only because the germans have no way of imposing their stricter standards on UK cars due to the way the EU works
There's no age limit for tyres and many people are doing silly speeds on more than questionable rubber... I sometimes wonder myself why there aren't a lot more blowouts. There are loads of people hitting every curb round town and then still doing 120+ mph with a fully loaded car on wrong tyre pressures.

Also, our cars only get inspected every two years. I think everyone can imagine how many safety related things could go wrong in a time that long on an old car.

Anyways... quite strange how you can end up in jail for doing something that'd be perfectly legal just a few hundred miles further to the east...
Old 20-07-2009, 09:48 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah right, tbh riding a bike fast and over taking which would look mega dangrous to a ar driver feels and is pretty safe on a bike, the amount of times people have flashed me and gave me the wanker sign is unreal when i've done a perfectly safe overtake.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by PeterRST
There's no age limit for tyres and many people are doing silly speeds on more than questionable rubber... I sometimes wonder myself why there aren't a lot more blowouts. There are loads of people hitting every curb round town and then still doing 120+ mph with a fully loaded car on wrong tyre pressures.
Oh, I was told there was, my local "part worn tyres" firm gets loads of tyres with great tread left on them from germany and said it was becuase over there tyres were changed due to age not just wear, but obviously that isnt a legal requirement like I thought it was, thanks for the correction.
The rest of my comments about TUV approved mods only etc still stand though.

Anyways... quite strange how you can end up in jail for doing something that'd be perfectly legal just a few hundred miles further to the east...
Same with age of consent laws, fuck a 14 year old in this country and go to jail, do it in spain and its perfectly legal.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Chip

Ah right, tbh riding a bike fast and over taking which would look mega dangrous to a ar driver feels and is pretty safe on a bike, the amount of times people have flashed me and gave me the wanker sign is unreal when i've done a perfectly safe overtake.
Ive been a bike since before I was a driver, so I know exactly what you mean, but like you say, an average car driver will still think you are about to hit him during an overtake cause he doesnt realise you are doing 120mph and will be past in no time, and TBH he is right to think that given the speed limit on the sort of roads we are talking about is only half that figure.
Old 20-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I even mean over taking at normal speeds or braking the speed limit for a short period hilst over taking, i have been back on my side of the road and managed to raise a hand and give them shit back for about 5 seconds and they still think that was a tight risky overtake, plus they dont realise a bikes small enough to go inbetween 2 cars lol
Old 20-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Chip

Oh, you ride a bike a lot sensibly than me then
Old 20-07-2009, 09:57 AM
alistairolsen

I even mean over taking at normal speeds or braking the speed limit for a short period hilst over taking, i have been back on my side of the road and managed to raise a hand and give them shit back for about 5 seconds and they still think that was a tight risky overtake, plus they dont realise a bikes small enough to go inbetween 2 cars lol
tbh that happens even in cars, just most folk in this country are scared of overtaking and think doing so is completely irresponsible, hence the long ques doing 40mph anywhere rural.

A bike might fit between two cars, but legally its not meant to and youd get your arse handed to you
Old 20-07-2009, 10:00 AM
uruk hai
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Either way I think the court was right and may just have saved him from serious, perhaps even fatal injurys resulting from behaiving in that manner.

We've deal't with a few cases which involved the death of a biker, some their fault and some not but the if people realised the utter and completey unnecassary devistation that these incedents can result in they just wouldnt do it.

We had a case where a biker was riding like the one in the film and he died in a colision after someone pulled out into a completely clear road only to be hit by the biker who was traveling far too fast to stop or take avoiding action. The whole of his family came in to hear that his death was a result of his speed and manner of riding and the person he hit was not in any way at fault, the son of the biker came in wearng his father's riding leather's and was allowed to read out a impact statement describing the effect his father's death had on the whole family, it was heart breaking and could have so easily been avoided. Very sad.
Old 20-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i can guarentee i dont lol, i'd hate to think what you would get for doing 186mph
Old 20-07-2009, 11:21 AM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Oh, I was told there was, my local "part worn tyres" firm gets loads of tyres with great tread left on them from germany and said it was becuase over there tyres were changed due to age not just wear, but obviously that isnt a legal requirement like I thought it was, thanks for the correction.
The rest of my comments about TUV approved mods only etc still stand though.
Yep, you can't even mount an aftermarket steering wheel without having to provide serious paperwork... On the other hand, with enough time and money, you could also get a car like your mid-engined Nova legal. For example you'd have to go through an extensive emissions test on the rollers (like all new cars have to), which alone is about 2 - 3 grand...

Same with age of consent laws, fuck a 14 year old in this country and go to jail, do it in spain and its perfectly legal.
So all the British and German pensioners might not only be going there for the great weather, eh?
Old 20-07-2009, 12:44 PM
alistairolsen

Talking of the autobahns...

What can go wrong will go wrong

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm

Hope everyone makes it.
Old 20-07-2009, 02:11 PM
PeterRST
Don't mention ze Vor

Originally Posted by alistairolsen
Talking of the autobahns...

What can go wrong will go wrong

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8159096.stm

Hope everyone makes it.
That's quite unusual though. Normally only happens in autumn when it's foggy.
Old 20-07-2009, 02:47 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

go to america wher they can only fine you $500 for doing 210mph in a 60