General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Is this normal(DVLA and logbooks)

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 AM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is this normal(DVLA and logbooks)

Basically bought a car, owned it for 2-3 weeks and sold it on to the guy i bought it off, but i still hadnt received the logbook but he still had it off me seeing as he knew the car, now i bought a new car the same day, and baring in mind id had the other car 2-3 weeks BEFORE this one, i got the logbook to my new car this morning, yet ive still not got the one for the car i bought a over a month ago now.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Dub604
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has happened to me before.... baicly the guy you bought it from has not sent off the logbook like he should have, he waited a while because he is a twat!!

you will recieve it, either call the dvla, or teh guy you bought it from.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:19 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Well in one way i dont give a shit about it because its a logbook for a car i no longer own, so its in his interests that he follows it up so that he can have it, but also am i still responsible for the car according to the dvla? thats what i want to know, because if iam i need it sorting asap
Old 11-07-2009, 04:57 PM
T0M0

Yes mate, if he gets caught speeding, it's your neck so I believe.

It took 2 months for mine to come through because the previous owner never sent off their slip.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:20 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

i have contacted the dvla because of this and the law is 1 month to send a v5 off to the dvla after you have sold the car,its no good applying as they do send out letters and even fines but the law is 1 month and even then it could take 2 weeks to come so 6 weeks isn't unusual.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Dub604
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by BM08
Well in one way i dont give a shit about it because its a logbook for a car i no longer own, so its in his interests that he follows it up so that he can have it, but also am i still responsible for the car according to the dvla? thats what i want to know, because if iam i need it sorting asap
as long as you got a recipt stating when you sold the car to the guy if hets gets any tickets, it wont matter as you have proof you dont own it or didnt when the offence happened
Old 11-07-2009, 05:39 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by cozzfather
i have contacted the dvla because of this and the law is 1 month to send a v5 off to the dvla after you have sold the car,its no good applying as they do send out letters and even fines but the law is 1 month and even then it could take 2 weeks to come so 6 weeks isn't unusual.

What do you mean the law? so the guy who SHOULD have sent it off will have to get off his ass and sort it? all i want to know is will this cause me any trouble apart from the fact he could speed through camera's and get me done?
Old 11-07-2009, 05:46 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by mikecozza69
as long as you got a recipt stating when you sold the car to the guy if hets gets any tickets, it wont matter as you have proof you dont own it or didnt when the offence happened

no i havent mate, because if you think about it, when i first bought the car we ripped the relevant parts off the original logbook to do the sale with me, then i took this with me and BEFORE i got the new logbook back i sold the car back to him, therefor i didnt have any parts to sign because they had already been ripped off. So i just gave him the remainder of the logbook and went on my way.

But surely if anything did happen i can still prove i didnt own the car because i stopped the insurance on the same day i sold the car, im not going to be driving it around with no insurance am i, especially 30miles from my house.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:51 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

ok here goes.........

i sold a car very recently and the dozy bint tried putting a cherished transfer on the next working day, because i hadn't sent the v5 off she couldn't do it.

i got a letter 7 days later informing me someone was applying for a v5, i sent the v5 off and 2 weeks later recieved a letter informing me they had updated their records and i was now nothing to do with my old car, then last week i get a fuckin fine of them dozy shits down the dvla,i contacted them and the fella agred with me that i hadn't done owt wrong and the law is 1 month to send a v5 off and i had done it inside 10 fucking days. i'm well pissed off cos now i have to photocopy the letters,send them off,pay for a stamp,jump in my cozzie or jag and pay fuel bills to post the fucking letter to those dozy twats,talk about a waste of time,money and my carbon footprint.

Last edited by cozzfather; 11-07-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:58 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by cozzfather
ok here goes.........

i sold a car very recently and the dozy bint tried putting a cherished transfer on the next working day, because i hadn't sent the v5 off she couldn't do it.

i got a letter 7 days later informing me someone was applying for a v5, i sent the v5 off and 2 weeks later recieved a letter informing me they had updated their records and i was now nothing to do with my old car, then last week i get a fuckin fine of them dozy shits down the dvla,i contacted them and the fella agred with me that i hadn't done owt wrong and the law is 1 month to send a v5 off and i had done it inside 10 fucking days. i'm well pissed off cos now i have to photocopy the letters,send them off,pay for a stamp,jump in my cozzie or jag and pay fuel bills to post the fucking letter to those dozy twats,talk about a waste of time,money and my carbon footprint.
Thats wonderful that is, total waste of time