General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone been the victim of identity theft?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone been the victim of identity theft?

I got a call off my bank last Sunday about a possible unauthorised transaction from my account. Turns out some nice person got my card details and bought a £30 O2 top-up, and it was only because there had been a spate of them recently they got in touch! So the card was cancelled and I've got to send some forms in but I'll get the money back at least.
It could have been a damn sight worse cos I'm a twat for not checking my statements, but fair play to Natwest for being on the ball.

Anyone else had owt?
Old 04-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

I had my new debit card stolen out of the post and a girl walk into a branch of haliax to withdraw £1200 and upped my overdraft to 3k !!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Was she caught?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mal.
Was she caught?
Nope, they were not intrested. After I had raised the alarm to halifax that was something going on with my account, my account got frozen until it was sorted, in this time the girl went back into another branch off halifax and tried to withdraw another 1200 quid and they did not even take the card off her !! So they told me.

Got all my money back tho, within 2 weeks was all back to normal.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

My card was used in Italy. Total of £2300 was used and then i was accused of lying about not going to Italy. Luckily whilst working for Apple at the time, they wrote me a letter to give to the Bank and also a copy of the clocking in report to say i was still in the country and working during the time of use of my card.

Ended up leaving HSBC and going to Lloyds.

Bastards!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 PM
slim20012
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

had the hi are you on holiday call erm nope ok its just someone is trying to use your card in thailand

glad it was stopped tho i hear its a nightmare getting it sorted sometimes
Old 04-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

yeah a couple of years ago i had a letter from my bank to contact them. When i did they asked me when i last used my visa, i told them and they said ''right as we suspected, we had refused a payment from your card for a PC worth over 1500 in the US!'' How the fuck they got my card details i dont know!
Old 04-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by Cossie Helen
Nope, they were not intrested. After I had raised the alarm to halifax that was something going on with my account, my account got frozen until it was sorted, in this time the girl went back into another branch off halifax and tried to withdraw another 1200 quid and they did not even take the card off her !! So they told me.

Got all my money back tho, within 2 weeks was all back to normal.
Bloody hell, good outcome at least.

Originally Posted by stillbornhq
My card was used in Italy. Total of £2300 was used and then i was accused of lying about not going to Italy. Luckily whilst working for Apple at the time, they wrote me a letter to give to the Bank and also a copy of the clocking in report to say i was still in the country and working during the time of use of my card.

Ended up leaving HSBC and going to Lloyds.

Bastards!!!

Do you know how they got your details?
Old 04-07-2009, 10:01 PM
BM08
Professional Waffler

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

no but a cash machine ate my debit card last wednesday at 5:30am in the morning, that was a great start to the day
Old 04-07-2009, 10:20 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by Mal.
Bloody hell, good outcome at least.

Do you know how they got your details?
Nope, but as i live in southall scams are everywhere. The Shell Petrol Stations here were cloning peoples cards BASTARDS!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:23 PM
carfixz
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

strange that, 2 shell stations in edinburgh were caught recently, asians in both stations and cards used in Australia, hence why i now always pay for fuel with cash now.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:36 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My mum and dad, 2 cards, 9 grand. Never got it back. Scummy bastards. They also dont know how it happened. They dont Internet shop at all, are always careful with money, cards. Bad stuff
Old 04-07-2009, 10:39 PM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Originally Posted by carfixz
strange that, 2 shell stations in edinburgh were caught recently, asians in both stations and cards used in Australia, hence why i now always pay for fuel with cash now.
Tamils mostly here in Southall!!!
Old 04-07-2009, 10:48 PM
Csm
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Workmate was scammed last year in Edinburgh, Shell petrol stations is full of foreign workers and his details were copied, but they sent teh details to someone in Oz who spent £500 then tried again later

Lucky for him the bank were on the ball as he paid for fuel in Edinburgh then the following morning someone was at it in oz, if he had went on holiday there he would have only been halfway on a flight as they started spending to quickly

All sorted tho
Old 04-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Originally Posted by P_is_for_Paul
My mum and dad, 2 cards, 9 grand. Never got it back. Scummy bastards. They also dont know how it happened. They dont Internet shop at all, are always careful with money, cards. Bad stuff

They never got it back!!! That's bang out of order.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:15 AM
sirrom666
Find Observe Race Destroy

A mate of mine had £1200 odd quid taken from his account, he spoke to the bank and found out that someone had ordered a new flat screen t.v online using his bank details. The bank asked if he had used his card online or over the phone in the last 12 months, my mate had only once to buy some suspention for his s2 from demon tweeks, anyway the retard using my mates details gave his own address as the delivery address and that's how the police got him. They did check and he did work for demon tweeks. I never do phone orders now from anyone just online, you never know.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:55 AM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

I have had it happen 3 times over the past few years,seemed to coincide with on line purchases of mobiles phones from one of the biggest service providers.Lost nothing as it was the bank that rang me.
needless to say I no longer use their online service
Old 05-07-2009, 08:49 AM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

lad next door as had 40/50 quid a day go out his account for a week to drift works and japspeed still not got it back
Old 05-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Gadget
Spanner monkey

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a barcley card that i hadn't used for 14 months, then over 6 weeks, i had £1900 done on it, pissed off because they didn't think it was strange and didn't contact me, it was only when my missus looked at the new statements and saw the transactions, on line gambling was most of it but the dick even paid he's car insurance with it!!
when i phoned up to report it, i had to wit for a form to fill out, they wouldn't let me tell them the last date i had used it and look into eveything since then so i had to wait untill the next months statement to do the same again as there was still some spent after the closing date of the first statement!!!
The police contacted me after they had raided he's house for other offences, found mine and others details on a bit of paper, they think they were bought fom someone who works at barclaycard!!!
anyway, he's been caught and awaiting trial next month, he'll probably skip bail though knowing this country.

Got it all back in the end but was a ballache!