General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

my skylines gonna be 600 hp :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Let's also hope that the big GT28's dont get chronic shuffle. Thats nasty.

I'm fairly sure I'd go for a single at that power and do away with the AFM's too.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:51 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
Let's also hope that the big GT28's dont get chronic shuffle. Thats nasty.

I'm fairly sure I'd go for a single at that power and do away with the AFM's too.
im pretty sure rob will get it spot on when he maps it. i couldnt hold my old cossie at 1/4 throttle as it used to surge.
shuffle will be the same only on part throttle so im not bothered if it does just has to be driven accordingly. both turbos have done 5k miles from brand new so should be running pretty even hopefully.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:53 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by dovboy
my mates just told me tonight he is buying an r32 skyline gtr cheap with a top end tic,rattle.

is that what yours had and its ended up being the crank?
no mate not a rattle, sump isnt of yet but rob is fairly certain its crank noise.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:55 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by AlexF
top end might be the ring lands
rob warned me about this common problem, if i want to run more than 1.2 bar he advised better pistons are needed as the ring lands can break.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:00 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by dovboy
my mates just told me tonight he is buying an r32 skyline gtr cheap with a top end tic,rattle.
tbh it needs to be really really cheap chap as r32gtr fetch nothing now a good well modded wont get over 6k atm 1 remember theres loads advertised for strong money but they end going for nothing
Old 02-07-2009, 11:09 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Nemesis,
tbh it needs to be really really cheap chap as r32gtr fetch nothing now a good well modded wont get over 6k atm 1 remember theres loads advertised for strong money but they end going for nothing
depends on spec. you wont get 600 hp for £6k mate.
one sold last week for £5600 and wasnt hugely specced, 450 - 500 bhp.
and not a fair market at the mo look at my old cossie only got offered £7k which is ridiculous imo.

mine was £4k which i think was cheap considering the mods its got, 55000 miles and clean.

the same with all modified cars only a small market to sell them to but there always worth there money in parts
Old 02-07-2009, 11:11 PM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
depends on spec. you wont get 600 hp for £6k mate.
one sold last week for £5600 and wasnt hugely specced, 450 - 500 bhp.
and not a fair market at the mo look at my old cossie only got offered £7k which is ridiculous imo.

mine was £4k which i think was cheap considering the mods its got, 55000 miles and clean.

the same with all modified cars only a small market to sell them to but there always worth there money in parts
thats the usual way karl they cant get the money so they go in bits
Old 03-07-2009, 12:43 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

of course its a fair market people will only pay what they think its worth.

On one hand you got less than what you thought your cossie was worth yet you got a bargain on the GTR?? sounds fair to me!!
Old 03-07-2009, 12:55 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you've finally come to a decision on what your doing with it, shame its the crank but to be fair if you rev them thats what apparently happens

One of my mates owned a RK prepared R32, it was the sister car to their own one they did run and it was not slow at all, 455hp originally then 550+ after the rebuild when the crank went, typically the cam belt "fell" off when running that one in so that meant another rebuild but all in all it was a very impressive car when it wasn't smashing gearboxes out of it

Glad to hear its got a skylab controller in it, I hear there rather dangerous without one !

edit as found a pic of said car

Old 03-07-2009, 06:35 AM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are they dangerous JB?
Old 03-07-2009, 07:30 AM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just tell mark i want as much boost as possible and i get it
Old 03-07-2009, 08:43 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
of course its a fair market people will only pay what they think its worth.

On one hand you got less than what you thought your cossie was worth yet you got a bargain on the GTR?? sounds fair to me!!
got offered highest £7k but didnt take it i broke it for parts, up to £9.5k now and looking on track for over £11k when its all sold.
Old 03-07-2009, 09:31 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i dont see how youve got your query across well by insinuating im a fuckwit and that my tuner should tell me to fuck off !

sorry if ive misunderstood but thats basically how it reads to me.

and yes i choose a car 50 bhp down to gain engine and drivetrain longevity any day of the week.
Morning, i've re read what i wrote and genuinely didnt mean to call YOU a fuckwit, i apologise. I had pictures in my head EXACTLY like the person Stu H describes below coming demanding where boost is set having no clue about what the car really needs.

tbh ive had 1.5 bar in my head from the start as imo its a reliable area for turbos to run.
You admit here that it's a figure YOU chose from the start? Can i ask how you concluded that thats best for you? I think you're still trying to compare apples with pears and two wildly different cars. Different capacity, number of turbos etc. What your cossie did at 1.5 bar is FA to do with how the skyline should be!

Originally Posted by Stu.H
Makes me laugh and I remember Karl telling me about a customer ..

He wanted 20psi (cant remember car or spec) but was addament on having 20psi. Karl said it would run faster and cooler on 1bar as CT's and turbo life would suffer, but no he wanted 20psi.

As I remember, he got the 20psi (customer paying I guess) but was back a week later to wonder why it was 'holding back' after a good thrash

Live and learn
That was my exact point hereand din't mean to cause offence
I guess i'm trying to understand people's thoughts and tbh i should leave them to it!

AT the end of the day IF it's 600bhp it should be a hell of a motor. I've only been in 1 skyline and not modded. I'd love to see what they do!
Old 03-07-2009, 11:43 AM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Why are they dangerous JB?
I've been told they are very un predictable without one, as an example when my mate got his R33 we were full throttle round a left hander onto a motorway and it switched to rwd, one moment we had grip, the next we were nearly in the barriers, I don't think the HICAS was removed at the time either so it was a suprise that it broke away that easy.

The Skylab controller literaly stops that happening so aggressively so for £100 its a bit of a life/car saver, I have no doubt that when you have owned a car for long enough that your more likely to know what to expect but anyone jumping into a GTR imo could easily get it wrong and I am sure it has happened to many people.

I don't own one though so I am only going off what I have been told and also what I have experienced.

Regardless of that though the GTR is still one of the most impressive cars I've been in, simply bonkers performance in all aspects when mily tweeked to.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:55 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
I've been told they are very un predictable without one, as an example when my mate got his R33 we were full throttle round a left hander onto a motorway and it switched to rwd, one moment we had grip, the next we were nearly in the barriers, I don't think the HICAS was removed at the time either so it was a suprise that it broke away that easy.

The Skylab controller literaly stops that happening so aggressively so for £100 its a bit of a life/car saver, I have no doubt that when you have owned a car for long enough that your more likely to know what to expect but anyone jumping into a GTR imo could easily get it wrong and I am sure it has happened to many people.

I don't own one though so I am only going off what I have been told and also what I have experienced.

Regardless of that though the GTR is still one of the most impressive cars I've been in, simply bonkers performance in all aspects when mily tweeked to.

thye were built to compete with the rs500 touring cars so seems right i go from cosworth to an r32
they never got to race in the uk as the turbos had been banned but they did in japan against rs500s
Old 03-07-2009, 04:01 PM
lead_foot
is awesome

Like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlir7J_ycv0

2.30 - 2.40 the skyline is no match for the RS500 straight line. LOL

Last edited by lead_foot; 03-07-2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: N/A
Old 03-07-2009, 04:56 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMhj22QLH1Y&NR=1

6 1/2 Hour Race !

That is a serious thrashing those cars take !
Old 03-07-2009, 04:56 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

The HICAS is a total non issue - cant comment on the other as mines rwd... but sounds like its a case of having to adapt your driving style to the car.

HICAS is brilliant - mines got a fault and without it functioning the car feels dead, very slow witted and has lost all the steering feel. Luckily its only todo with my steering wheel being on wonky so if I dont drive in a stright line its fine LOL
Old 03-07-2009, 05:02 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by lead_foot
Like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlir7J_ycv0

2.30 - 2.40 the skyline is no match for the RS500 straight line. LOL

http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A1f4bVe...r_Championship

from my understanding the gtr more than matched the rs500.

http://uk.wrs.yahoo.com/_ylt=A1f4bVh...r_Championship

Last edited by scoooby slayer; 03-07-2009 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:12 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

The HICAS is a total non issue - cant comment on the other as mines rwd... but sounds like its a case of having to adapt your driving style to the car.

HICAS is brilliant - mines got a fault and without it functioning the car feels dead, very slow witted and has lost all the steering feel. Luckily its only todo with my steering wheel being on wonky so if I dont drive in a stright line its fine LOL
The people I know with GTRs run lock out bars and say the car feels unstable at high speed, having not driven one with or without one I can't comment on what the handling gains are at lower speeds.

Like anything you can learn to to drive through something like that but the car IMO is far better with the skylab controller than without one considering the difference when you set it up to your style then return it to standard.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:13 PM
JonnyBravo
10K+ Poster!!

Were the GTR's rwd in that race series or 4wd ?

I think there is a lot to be said on GTR and how ahead of its time it was back then
Old 03-07-2009, 05:33 PM
coleman
Always in the background

R32's are growing on me more and more!
This one looks stunning
http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1118935.htm
Old 03-07-2009, 05:55 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by JonnyBravo
The people I know with GTRs run lock out bars and say the car feels unstable at high speed, having not driven one with or without one I can't comment on what the handling gains are at lower speeds.

Like anything you can learn to to drive through something like that but the car IMO is far better with the skylab controller than without one considering the difference when you set it up to your style then return it to standard.
I've read that many times - but found completely the oppsite, funny aint it, what some like others hate.

Only problem with a GTR is they needs lots of power to feel quick, a GTST only needs 300 and feels like its going to bite you all the time LOL
Old 03-07-2009, 05:58 PM
AlexF
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by coleman
This one looks stunning
please don't post links

at least not ones like that - they make me start doing maths and thinking about bank loans LOL
Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 PM
DAN400
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by coleman
This one looks stunning
def looks well , price couldnt be out of the way either with all them mods !
Old 03-07-2009, 06:07 PM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by DAN400
def looks well , price couldnt be out of the way either with all them mods !
defo a good price. mines gonna be same spec aside from roll cage and bigger brakes for about the same money, but at least i get my engine from new.