General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Apparantly these wheel spacers are fine and safe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:26 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Apparantly these wheel spacers are fine and safe?

Ermm
Old 01-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Rick Astley
Never gonna give you up!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bernie.... Leepu!!!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

why wouldnt they be?

genuine question
Old 01-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

They'll shift the loading on the wheel bearing surely which will at best cause accelerated wear
Old 01-07-2009, 10:40 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

yes, but not really unsafe is it?

just means you will have to replace the bearings often.

i ran 20mm spacers all round for over a year on a 2.0l sierra, people said they will kill the bearings ina few miles...

had no probs whatsoever.

just cos it looks fucking stupid, doesnt really make them unsafe!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

That's a bit more than 20mm though mate. Measuring a Lynx can here those things are like 140mm
Old 01-07-2009, 10:53 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

yes, but same pricncipal.

ok it will give more leverage on the bearings and possibly make it handle shit, but it wouldnt necessarily be unsafe
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 PM
Paul_RS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

What about the extra stain on the bolts that hold those things on?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:00 PM
combi van man
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

what car needs spacers like that?
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by Paul_RS
What about the extra stain on the bolts that hold those things on?
what extra strain?

im sure that they will have the appropriate tensile bolts

doesnt make a difference wether its a 10mm thick plate being bolted up, or 100mm....

so long as both mating surfaces are flat
Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by combi van man
what car needs spacers like that?
most cossies
Old 01-07-2009, 11:16 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you'll find the Porsche guys LOVE big chunky spacers like that.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

most 3dr owners should too, lol
Old 01-07-2009, 11:50 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
what extra strain?

im sure that they will have the appropriate tensile bolts

doesnt make a difference wether its a 10mm thick plate being bolted up, or 100mm....

so long as both mating surfaces are flat

Ok... here is a little experiment for you...

Get a long sturdy tree branch, jam on end into a vice or something that will prevent you moving it.

Now grab part of the branch closest to the vice and try and snap the branch. Now depending on how strong you are or arn't you may break it. But its probably going to be hard work doing so.

Now grab the end furthest away from the vice and try and break it. You should find holding the far end means its easier to break it.

Now imagine the vice is a wheel hub and bearing, the branch is a spacer and your hand is the wheel. By placing a spacer between the wheel and bearing you are creating the same effect. Your moving the wheel further away from the point where the load is transfered along the suspension. Ideally you want all support directly over or under the place where the load is applied not 140mm out to the side of it.

Last edited by MadMac; 01-07-2009 at 11:53 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:53 PM
3i_gaz
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by MadMac

Get a long sturdy tree branch, jam on end into a vice or something that will prevent you moving it.

Now grab part of the branch closest to the vice and try and snap the branch. Now depending on how strong you are or arn't you may break it. But its probably going to be hard work doing so.

Now grab the end furthest away from the vice and try and break it. You should find holding the far end means its easier to break it.

Now imagine the vice is a wheel hub and bearing, the branch is a spacer and your hand is the wheel. By placing a spacer between the wheel and bearing you are creating the same effect.
fair dues, but the longer bolts/studs whatever set up it is, are going to be bigger diameter or higher tensile strength that the normal ones surely.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:55 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by 3i_gaz
fair dues, but the longer bolts/studs whatever set up it is, are going to be bigger diameter or higher tensile strength that the normal ones surely.
True, but its not the bolts holding the lot together that you probably have to worry about, its going to be the hub and bearings that are taking the load.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:44 AM
Spiky
Professional Waffler

Now imagine the vice is a wheel hub and bearing, the branch is a spacer and your hand is the wheel. By placing a spacer between the wheel and bearing you are creating the same effect. Your moving the wheel further away from the point where the load is transfered along the suspension. Ideally you want all support directly over or under the place where the load is applied not 140mm out to the side of it.

how anyone can think it's safe after that great explanation, needs to hand their licence back to DVLA
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 AM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Wheel bolts do not work in that way though. Wheel bolts are there to stop shear, not bending.

To use your example - put a tree branch in a vice and hold the branch close to the vice, then push, and see if you can break it.
If you can, well done, you are complete numpty.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:52 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

I think the point trying to be made is (Certainly my point) as you have moved the wheel further out you have increased the leverage force of that wheel on its bearing. Try and undo a hubnut with a ordinary socket set and then try with a big arse handle. You increase the force at the nut dramatically for the same force applied at the handle.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:05 AM
andrewg
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oranoco
They'll shift the loading on the wheel bearing surely which will at best cause accelerated wear
depend on what the wheel offset is? maybe the has a big -offset, so the load bearing may still be in the center of the wheel bearing
Old 02-07-2009, 08:21 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unsafe tbh, regardless of the strenth of bolts, flat faces.

Their are loads of explanations to compare to the branch.

Hold a broom horizontal with both hands 2-3ft apart, no close the hand so it's hand to hand. You will be adding 3x the pressure. Now that is just the pressure part for the bearings, now what if you were to hit a pot hole? That would shear the bolts.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 AM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't see why they're unsafe, if they're made correctly and the bolts are of the correct tensile strength. Sure they may 'seem' dangerous, but I've known loads of cars with spacers and I've never known any to fail. Has anyone here got an example of spacers actually failing?

Just the act of fitting larger diameter alloys can put increased stress on the hub and bearings.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:52 AM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

I agree, proper hub centric spacers with correct bolts should not cause saftey issues. Only thing you could say is it will knock out the wheel bearings quick enough that they'd collapse and the wheel would part company.

But hopefully you'd know when the bearing gets that bad, and as stated never heard of anyone getting these problems to that degree.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:34 AM
vroomtshh
Advanced PassionFord User

Originally Posted by XRT_si
proper hub centric spacers with correct bolts
Not necessary.

And the tensile stregth of the bolts is unimportant in this case. The same strength bolts as already used will be more than capable. As there is almost no tensile stress on wheel bolts. Its all shear strength.

I do do this for a living
Old 02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by vroomtshh
Wheel bolts do not work in that way though. Wheel bolts are there to stop shear, not bending.

To use your example - put a tree branch in a vice and hold the branch close to the vice, then push, and see if you can break it.
If you can, well done, you are complete numpty.
Youv'e missed the point I was trying to make...

Originally Posted by Oranoco
I think the point trying to be made is (Certainly my point) as you have moved the wheel further out you have increased the leverage force of that wheel on its bearing. Try and undo a hubnut with a ordinary socket set and then try with a big arse handle. You increase the force at the nut dramatically for the same force applied at the handle.
That was the point I was trying to make and I also said

...its not the bolts holding the lot together that you probably have to worry about, its going to be the hub and bearings that are taking the load.
Next time, read all before clicking quote Numpty.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Elvis
Hunka Hunka Burning Love

Originally Posted by doesntbelong
Bernie.... Leepu!!!!!!
first thing that came to my mind
Old 02-07-2009, 06:14 PM
adam151082
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

dont care what anyone says i would def not be putting them on any of my cars.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

so long as the centre of the wheel is close to the actual hub face, ie a 5" spacer, with a huge offset and a 10" rim, i dont see a problem
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Rims are ET0 and 10J if that's of any assistance.

Personally other than looking fucking shocking I would rather stick my genitals in a pirhana tank than fit those to a car I was going to be driving
Old 02-07-2009, 07:12 PM
PGT
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

maybe I'm stupid or blind but the picture i see is of a large aluminium cylinder with a shiny bit sticking out the top which looks like a bearing housing, adjacent to a wicker basket and a plastic bottle

where is the wheel spacer
Old 02-07-2009, 08:10 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Originally Posted by PGT
maybe I'm stupid or blind but the picture i see is of a large aluminium cylinder with a shiny bit sticking out the top which looks like a bearing housing, adjacent to a wicker basket and a plastic bottle

where is the wheel spacer
Its the cylinder next to the llynx can
Old 02-07-2009, 08:14 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

now place the tree branch inside a long tube (or long bolt inside an alloy wheel spacer) and try to snap the branch.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:17 PM
jonnyrsturbo
is half man, half amazin'

more pic needed i thinks
Old 02-07-2009, 08:25 PM
st3v3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ONLY problem a spacer like that will cause is bearing failure, its not the bolts, they will be fine.
The extra length of the spacer is like pulling down/pushing up on a crow bar and will act like one,longer crow bar less effort needed, but in this case it will cause greater force on the bearings,simple physics will show this as the fulcrum is in the same place, you have more of a lever.

Look at it how you want, the bearings will be under massive load,simple.

Last edited by st3v3; 02-07-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 08:49 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i watched chop shop tonight and they had some spacers like that fitted to SUMO CAR and i just thought they looked dodgy
Old 02-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

hang ona minute cunt lugs, that spacer is clearly made of aluminium, not a fucking tree!

bollocks will it snap anything, as i said it will possibly cause more load on the bearings, but its probably not as dangerous as all you people with no knowledge or experiance of such things think.

id imagine that the spacer was bolted to the hub, and the the wheel then bolts to the spacer.

as any said, the centre of the wheel may well be inline with the bearing, in which case absolutly NO extra load will be put on the bearings!

we need pics of the wheels to be used and the hubs i think, before all those without a clue can pass judgement lol

as i said, yes it LOOKS fucking silly, but it may well not be!

and even if it was, who on here actually has ANY experiance of a bearing failure with massive spacers?

no one, thats why all 3dr owners have shite offset
Old 02-07-2009, 10:02 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

to be fair, the rims are probably going to be buclking way before the bearings get burnt out
Old 02-07-2009, 10:05 PM
rst-g
ZETEC TURBO

friend of mine runs 60mm spacers on his 200sx 9.5'' rims not sure of the offset but its big and he drives it like he stole it lol hes into drifting in a big way hes never had any problems with them.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Originally Posted by rst-g
friend of mine runs 60mm spacers on his 200sx 9.5'' rims not sure of the offset but its big and he drives it like he stole it lol hes into drifting in a big way hes never had any problems with them.
exactly!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 PM
MadMac
15K+ Super Poster!!

Oh I give up, I'm just trying to use a simple example to explain the extra leaverage force having such a stupid spacer will apply to the remaining wheel hub and suspension assembly I am not

i)Saying a spacer is a tree
ii)Trying to say the bolts will fail

Car suspension on most cars were not designed to rund spacers, especially ones of that size and car manufactures spend untold in development to get the most reliable and durable set ups. Sticking something like that on a car will fuck that and cause problems.

Quick Reply: Apparantly these wheel spacers are fine and safe?