General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Apparantly these wheel spacers are fine and safe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 10:41 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by MadMac
Sticking something like that on a car will fuck that and cause problems.
and you know this from what experiance?

there are a uck load of drifters using massive spacers and 0 or even minus offsets on the their cars. and how many have failed?

not a fucking lot!

yes laws of phsyics etc would say that there is more leverage possibly on the bearing, but in reality, what proof do you have they will fuck it up?

none?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:03 PM
.Ross.
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Astra GTE 16v MATTIG would need them ..

Probably use them if I had too!
Old 02-07-2009, 11:33 PM
paz_S2
Part of the Furniture

do people still use lynx?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:40 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paz_S2
do people still use lynx?
Ye i use africa but only cause me mothers mates keep buying me the stuff every xmas by the gallon load
Old 23-08-2009, 05:19 PM
dawesy1700
JAPSCORT

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here we go lads, just incase none of you have seen the car these are going on, (sorry if these are a repost)

what would you think if that pulled up next to you?? hahahaha
Old 23-08-2009, 05:37 PM
Icurus
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Is this so he can have in board calipers?, like Alfa Suds
Old 23-08-2009, 05:43 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id be more worried it snapped the stub axle with the crowbar type force tbh or even bent the wishbone ect as theres extra fulcrum on them parts,,, i dont give a stuff about drifters,, there wheels are slipping and under no grip so not as much force compared to a pot hole at 80mph

cant see why nobody gets this

car suspension can bent if you hit a curb to harsh,,, with that fulcrum its gonna make the same sort of bumper harsher

fudgey your argument makes about as much sence as me saying " how many people you know who speed have killed someone,,, i do 150 on the motorway and ive yet to die or kill someone and knows loads of people who do the same,,,,, so its not dangerous"

its what happens IF the stub axle shears off id be more worried about
Old 23-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Or my god what is that all about.
Old 23-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

oh and what about rotational forces too and vibration that comes with them to consider
Old 23-08-2009, 06:20 PM
dawesy1700
JAPSCORT

thing is, i can see these being a joke, just to see what they look like but a bet they cost quite a bit to have made, so its a pretty expensive joke, lol, and i can see this failing an MOT or even bein pulled and ordered to a test station, seen it happen before to stupid cars, lol
Old 23-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

Craig do you now the lad who owns that car.
Old 23-08-2009, 06:41 PM
andy escos
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

reminds me of carlos fandango with the anglia & the 5 bar gate: cry:: cry:
Old 23-08-2009, 06:43 PM
KnoxyGtt
T34 just kicked in Yo

Drifting on a nice surface is different then driving on a shit holed road
Old 23-08-2009, 06:50 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Thats never going to get full lock without the tyre catching on the inner arches/A pillars etc....

With the right offset wheel that the spacers should cause too much of an issue but thats just wrong.....
Old 23-08-2009, 07:45 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

Oh I give up, I'm just trying to use a simple example to explain the extra leaverage force having such a stupid spacer will apply to the remaining wheel hub and suspension assembly I am not

i)Saying a spacer is a tree
ii)Trying to say the bolts will fail

Car suspension on most cars were not designed to rund spacers, especially ones of that size and car manufactures spend untold in development to get the most reliable and durable set ups. Sticking something like that on a car will fuck that and cause problems.
Your explanation was in theory viable, but if you use the branch example, then the thicker you make the branch the futher away the breaking point will be. This spacer is not a twig.
Increasing the leverage will cause extra strain on bushes more so than bearings, depending on fitment as stated before.
It wont cause a safety issue. Think of where the point of most strain will be if you use this spacer. it will put most strain on the hubs. Without a spacer, where is the most strain? on the hubs.
Old 23-08-2009, 07:49 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

But having seen what the spacers are going on to, that suspension wouldnt handle the forces. Not a good idea
Old 23-08-2009, 07:51 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by MJ_RST
It wont cause a safety issue. Think of where the point of most strain will be if you use this spacer. it will put most strain on the hubs. Without a spacer, where is the most strain? on the hubs.
ok try and close a door pushing from the side where the hinges are and the try and close a door from the side away from the hinges

what do you notice ????

get a ratchet and try and undo a wheel nut,, not get a breaker bar,, what do you notice

did nobody even learn about leverage/fulcrum in science ?

the longer the bar the easier it is to move at a penalty of needing to cover more distance,,,,, now think about the stubaxle,,,, thats what the car is sitting on the wheel bearings with
Old 23-08-2009, 07:54 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

Ok... here is a little experiment for you...

Get a long sturdy tree branch, jam on end into a vice or something that will prevent you moving it.

Now grab part of the branch closest to the vice and try and snap the branch. Now depending on how strong you are or arn't you may break it. But its probably going to be hard work doing so.

Now grab the end furthest away from the vice and try and break it. You should find holding the far end means its easier to break it.

Now imagine the vice is a wheel hub and bearing, the branch is a spacer and your hand is the wheel. By placing a spacer between the wheel and bearing you are creating the same effect. Your moving the wheel further away from the point where the load is transfered along the suspension. Ideally you want all support directly over or under the place where the load is applied not 140mm out to the side of it.
Old 23-08-2009, 07:55 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginge !
ok try and close a door pushing from the side where the hinges are and the try and close a door from the side away from the hinges

what do you notice ????

get a ratchet and try and undo a wheel nut,, not get a breaker bar,, what do you notice

the longer the bar the easier it is to move at a penalty of needing to cover more distance,,,,, now think about the stubaxle,,,, thats what the car is sitting on the wheel bearings with
you'll be talking about moments and stuff next ginge, don't forget that this is passionford where no one listens unless you've got trader status

on the other hand, the car is supposed to be a trailor queen so won't be hittin ghte road at any point so all this arguing is just sillyness
Old 23-08-2009, 07:59 PM
dawesy1700
JAPSCORT

Originally Posted by Glenny Boy
Craig do you now the lad who owns that car.
good god glen, no i don't, haha, just found it after being told about it, i want to see how big the arches are gonna be, hahaha, HUGE!!!!
Old 23-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by dawesy1700

what would you think if that pulled up next to you?? hahahaha
First I'd point out that one of his tyres is on the wrong way round then I'd probably wet myself laughing uncontrollably

Last edited by Oranoco; 23-08-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 23-08-2009, 08:09 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

what do you notice ????

The main force is still being put on the hubs, which will be put through the suspension/bushes etc...
I see your point, in that it will put too much pressure on the bearings etc.... but providing it is set up correctly, and in line it shouldnt put too much strain on the bearings.
Old 23-08-2009, 08:11 PM
GTi-R23
The ladies love it French

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
Ye i use africa but only cause me mothers mates keep buying me the stuff every xmas by the gallon load
Pics or STFU
Old 23-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Originally Posted by MJ_RST
The main force is still being put on the hubs, which will be put through the suspension/bushes etc...
I see your point, in that it will put too much pressure on the bearings etc.... but providing it is set up correctly, and in line it shouldnt put too much strain on the bearings.
mate how are the hubs connected to the car ???

they sit on bearings that sit in the stub axle, the angle of the wheels means nothing,,,, put your tv on a shelf then screw a longer peice of wood about 5 foot long to it ut the same 5ins brackets and then add the tv at the end of it and see ,,,, what happens to the shelf with the same weight of tv ????
Old 23-08-2009, 08:27 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

mate how are the hubs connected to the car ???

they sit on bearings that sit in the stub axle, the angle of the wheels means nothing,,,, put your tv on a shelf then screw a longer peice of wood about 5 foot long to it ut the same 5ins brackets and then add the tv at the end of it and see ,,,, what happens to the shelf with the same weight of tv ????
PMSL @ ur examples

I see what you mean though, that the weight will pull it down etc..., but at worse, these spacers will accelerate bearing wear. Not mean itl pull the stub from the hub.
Old 23-08-2009, 08:34 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

mate it could snap the stubaxle though on the rear of the car,, there really is a chance it COULD happen,, thats why they dont makes spacers that long on hummers, land rovers ect ect ect,,, they need a wide wheel base but the hubs are still close and bearings at both ends,,, having a bearing on one side with the rotational forces is not a good idea,,, at BEST its gonna cause bearing wear, a pot hole coud cause a fracture and over time that could be made worse
Old 23-08-2009, 08:42 PM
MJ_RST
PassionFord Regular

mate it could snap the stubaxle though on the rear of the car,, there really is a chance it COULD happen,, thats why they dont makes spacers that long on hummers, land rovers ect ect ect,,, they need a wide wheel base but the hubs are still close and bearings at both ends,,, having a bearing on one side with the rotational forces is not a good idea,,, at BEST its gonna cause bearing wear, a pot hole coud cause a fracture and over time that could be made worse

Yep point taken.
Old 23-08-2009, 09:06 PM
youngben
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they use these on the ferrari replicas ect to space out the weels! i wouldnt trust them personaly
Old 23-08-2009, 09:11 PM
bazzle
Regular Contributor

apprently they are to help build the kit only , i know the lad who is doing the bodywork , its having a custom kit , and once the kit is made its having a new suspension setup designed and built