General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Need help bleading brakes!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 26-05-2009, 08:34 PM
grecian.s1
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help bleading brakes!!!!

as above, i need advice bleeding my brakes on my s1, i have tried all diffrent techniques, easy bleads, etc, the set up i have is hispec 300mm disks with 4 pot calipers brand new out of the box, and cosworth rears, there are no leaks any where along the brake lines what so ever, i have all braided hoses connecting to callipers, i have tried 3 different master cylinders including 1 been brand new and just cant get even the slightest bite.......?!?!

any advice would be highley apreciated.

cheeRS
Old 26-05-2009, 08:39 PM
shed1
Virgin

silly question are you getting any fluid out of the nipples and has it got the manual abs system fitted
Old 26-05-2009, 08:43 PM
grecian.s1

Originally Posted by shed1
silly question are you getting any fluid out of the nipples and has it got the manual abs system fitted

yes fluid is coming out of the nipples, it has no abs mate,?? i have bleaded brakes on 16i's and rst's before and never had problems like this
could it be due to the master cylinder not being capable of pushing the 8 pistons (4 each side)
Old 26-05-2009, 08:45 PM
xr3irally
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

have you tried just opening all the bleed nipples, and taking the cap off the master cylinder and just letting them drip through for a bit, gravity should work the fluid through eventually.
Old 26-05-2009, 08:49 PM
shed1
Virgin

do not think so i had a series 2 with the hi spec 4 pots on the front and had no problems bleading them once i took the abs off but befor i could not get e pedal
Old 26-05-2009, 08:51 PM
GINGExR2 T
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

1st question, was it originally ABS and does it only have 2 pipes off the master cylinder, and has all the ABS stuff been removed and the brake lines re done to bypass what was there.??

If yes you need to bleed them diagnally. left rear-front right, right rear-front left.

2nd question, are you using the stanard Ford brake conpensaters??

If yes you need the rear wish bone on axle stands to alowe fluid to flow as it needs weight on them to open them up(it helps to have some one sat in the boot for more weight aswell)

I've got 4 pots with rear cossie callipers on a Mk2 XR2 and they wouldn't bleed properly which ended up being just the front, i found the best way to bleed them was bleed all 4 nipples, bottom first (inner then outter) and outter top last.

Hope that helps

Last edited by GINGExR2 T; 26-05-2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old 26-05-2009, 08:55 PM
chadrst

i had the same problem on my s2 remove the rear calipers of the mounts and have the bleed nipple to the highest point attach ur easy bleed up and then bleed them taping the caliper at the same time url see loads of air cuming out once that stop do the other side then bleed the front
Old 26-05-2009, 09:13 PM
grecian.s1

Originally Posted by chadrst
i had the same problem on my s2 remove the rear calipers of the mounts and have the bleed nipple to the highest point attach ur easy bleed up and then bleed them taping the caliper at the same time url see loads of air cuming out once that stop do the other side then bleed the front
did you dothe same with the front, removeing it of the mounts.
Old 26-05-2009, 09:16 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the same prob the other day, I wasnt pulling the pedal right back up after pressing it down to the floor, so it wasnt shioving any of the fluid.

push and pull the pedal up and down for its full travel and see how you get on!
Old 26-05-2009, 09:38 PM
chadrst

no as long as the bleed nipples r at the top of the caliper ur ok, ive got cossie 4 pots on frt and cossie rears took me 2 week ends and alot of brake fluid then spoke 2 a guy at trw and he said the cossie rear calipers r a c**t to bleed and told me wot to do and i got a pedal straight away. just hold the rear calipers so the nipple is at the top and easy bleed them and just tap the side of the caliper with a spanner to dislodge the air
Old 26-05-2009, 09:44 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some cars need to be level. flat to the floor for the system to be bled..have you got the arse end jacked up when bleeding the system ?
Old 26-05-2009, 10:15 PM
vroooom ptssssh
It Wasnt Me!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My cossie rears bled fine?

It was my master cylinder that wasnt returning properly after the initial push.., so therefore wasnt moving fluid...

bleed nipples are always (or should be) pointing upwards...
Old 26-05-2009, 10:26 PM
chadrst

my rear calipers where brand new and had no fluid in them and my braket is sidewoods(sum have them on the top) so my bleed nipples where facing down leaving air in the top of the piston thats why i said take it off the braket and hold it up so the nipple is at the top
Old 27-05-2009, 06:35 AM
grecian.s1

Originally Posted by chadrst
my rear calipers where brand new and had no fluid in them and my braket is sidewoods(sum have them on the top) so my bleed nipples where facing down leaving air in the top of the piston thats why i said take it off the braket and hold it up so the nipple is at the top
yes thats how my calipers are too, as for the car being jacked up, i have it on axle stands allround, i will try the pedel to make sure it is travelling all the way back to the top, i have been on two days solid so willing to try anything at the moment.
Old 27-05-2009, 08:28 AM
jonesymk2
PassionFord Post Troll

i had the same problem as chadrst and 1 of my mates had the same problem aswell,i thought i had all the air out of all 4 calipers but just couldnt get a pedal,a mate then told me the calipers have to be moved round because of the bleed nipple needing to point upwards,once i did this i had brakes straight away just from rebleeding the rears
Old 27-05-2009, 03:00 PM
grecian.s1

Originally Posted by jonesymk2
i had the same problem as chadrst and 1 of my mates had the same problem aswell,i thought i had all the air out of all 4 calipers but just couldnt get a pedal,a mate then told me the calipers have to be moved round because of the bleed nipple needing to point upwards,once i did this i had brakes straight away just from rebleeding the rears
cheers lads you where both right, turned the caliper round to bleed it tapped it like you said a little air pocket of bubbles came out and i had a peddle straight away...... m.o.t tomorrow now, over the moon

thnks
Old 27-05-2009, 03:28 PM
jonesymk2
PassionFord Post Troll

no problem mate