General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

ebay - item not as described.........

Search this Thread

Old 21-05-2009, 12:47 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay - item not as described.........

I have just had a dispute opened against me, and the buyer is saying its not as described!!! The part was clearly advertsied correctly. Now the problem is, its a foreign buyer and he has obviously just looked at the pictures without reading/translating the description!

Paypal have now taken the money from me and its now on hold.

Now ive had problems with a paypal dispute before in the past, but never an item not as described claim. How do ebay investigate this. Its clearly his fault for not reading the description. the problem is im thinking ebay/paypal will just take the buyers side as per usual. I cant see how they can personally, but i'll have to see.

Anyone else had a dispute opened against them and what was the outcome?
Old 21-05-2009, 01:19 PM
Crazyass
230km/h+ in an oil burner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

don't worry..
the buyer will have to give his reasons to paypal for the claim (in this case, item not as described, but then you answer to that, and can copy/past the description that you've done on the auction.. you'll get your money back..
Old 21-05-2009, 01:23 PM
R4N SS
Professional Waffler

Received 147 Likes on 139 Posts

i reckon you will get stung being the seller - typical ebay shit
Old 21-05-2009, 01:26 PM
155lee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 134 Likes on 117 Posts

i would enter into the dispute and offer a refund upon return of the item.that way you are being a good seller.if they cant comply with that ebay should take your side.
Old 21-05-2009, 02:41 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

If he would have contacted me first then i would probably have refunded him depending on his attitude, but he's pissed me off that he's opened a dipsute without contact and said 'item not as described' when it clearly is. If i refund him, ill also be out of pocket as i have to refund postage cost too, and im not being out of pocket he cant arsed to translate it and choose to look at the pictures only. Its only a small-ish amount but its the principle of it.

The problem is, whatever the outcome, ill probably get a negative feedback for it either way!

Ebay really pisses me off! For every 100 good ebayers, theres always the odd one or two thick donuts that spoil it!
Old 21-05-2009, 03:10 PM
xr4x4rs
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if he has opened the paypal dispute up as item not as described, then paypal will tell himto send it back to you and as soon as you say you have recieved it they will issue him a full refund

but he has to send it back to you first before he will even get any money back
Old 21-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Dave_RS
Part of the Furniture

Don´t worry, if he don´t send it back to you (and if he´s out of the UK thats not usual) you will not loose your money. Probably you will get bad feedback... but you can always answer him, so that way the ppl will know what happened.

BTW, Where´s the buyer from? If he´s from Spain i can try to contact him.

Cheers
Old 21-05-2009, 03:29 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by xr4x4rs
if he has opened the paypal dispute up as item not as described, then paypal will tell himto send it back to you and as soon as you say you have recieved it they will issue him a full refund

but he has to send it back to you first before he will even get any money back
But how come i would have to refund him as it IS as described. Surely he has to prove that its not as described, which obviously he cant. Basically its a small part, that he thought was metal but its plastic as stated in the listing. He opened the 'not as described' dispute with a message that said, 'not as described, plastic part, not good'.

Surely paypal wont refund him? If they do then thats ridiculous!
Old 21-05-2009, 03:31 PM
S1rst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Dave_RS
Don´t worry, if he don´t send it back to you (and if he´s out of the UK thats not usual) you will not loose your money. Probably you will get bad feedback... but you can always answer him, so that way the ppl will know what happened.

BTW, Where´s the buyer from? If he´s from Spain i can try to contact him.

Cheers
So if he send it back im assuming he will have to send it signed for so he can prove ive received it? Or will paypal just believe the buyer because he 'said' he sent it?

He's in romania by the way, but thanks for the offer mate.
Old 21-05-2009, 03:33 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

but if they've already removed funds from your fund pot then you are out of pocket in any case aren;t you?
Old 21-05-2009, 03:37 PM
juicy 666
Regular Contributor

I was selling an old pram for a friend and I had a dispute opened against me! No direct contact with me so it came as a bit of a surprise. I had no problems with it so would have and did offer a full refund as it sounded like it had been broken in transit! turns out the guy had purchased about 7 other prams of the same kind over the few weeks previous so he must have been getting part broken ones and making fresh ones up so he tried to fob me off with one of the shit ones. I was open about everything paypal worked in my favour! As long as your being truthful and do everything by the book I cant see why they would sting you! I never got any feedback from him at all so I can only guess/hope that he was banned!

Tis a major pain in the arse though! Theirs always one as said!
Old 21-05-2009, 04:22 PM
sabres74
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I have experienced this as a buyer. With a SNAD claim Paypal will make the buyer submit evidence from a qualified 3rd party as to why the item is not as described. Believe it or not I had to get a garage to provide written evidence that a headlight was received with the glass broken even though I had already sent them a picture of the damage. They actually make very difficult for the buyer to win a SNAD claim as there is a vert tight time limit to provide the evidence.

If your listing describes it correctly and it arrived undamaged, then Paypal will not uphold the buyers claim
Old 22-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by 155lee
i would enter into the dispute and offer a refund upon return of the item.that way you are being a good seller.if they cant comply with that ebay should take your side.
NO! If the item was advertised correctly and the buyer has fucked up by not reading the advert or not knowing what he was buying, then they are not allowed to complain about anything! Of course, if the item was described wrongly then its a different story!

He has been a good seller because the item was listed honestly/correctly, so i wouldnt be issueing a refund if i were in his shoes!

Problem with ebay/paypal is the buyer has more rights than the seller unfortunately
Old 22-05-2009, 08:21 AM
rs2klee
K***LMT

i had simular problem a while ago.. sold an old computer (sinclair spectrum) was working perfect, buyer put in that it didnt work when it got to the other end and put a claim in, the 1st email i got back was, hi got the computer but it does not work and put that it was not decribed correctly and just said can you refund my money! cheeky coont so went on for near 2 months, in the meantime.. ebay needs proof that it was sent, lucky it was done on the paypal through the royalmail so they know it was sent. so i said ok send it back and ill refund the money no problems.. another week later i got it back.. But! was the insides of another computer ! niice.. so i emailed him back saying that it been taken apart and is not the serial numbers i wrote down.. he emailed me back saying when he got it the computer was not working so he took it apart to try and fix it !!! what a knob... all the messages were sent through ebay so they have a record on whats going on, dont do private emails as ebay wont know whats been said when a despute comes up. I ended up with the computer back and still kept the money due to ebay taking my side.. i also managed to sell it again for spares as it was knackerd with his crap in the casing, he ended up with a working computer but still paid the price i ended up with more money than i sold it for in the 1st place.. but theres a lot of this swap over shit and sending back and trying to con sellers, they try to treat ebay like argos to fix their junk.

make sure he sends what ever you sold him back to you, he will need to prove he posted it as ebay will require this proof of postage as he will be in touch with ebay as you are. you can also resolve in the dispute. its just another overseas con artist,i hate dealing with them.

The other scam to look out for when buying from overseas :
You buy an item could be expensive say £300.. the seller sends an empty box but had proof that it was sent, you file a complant that its an emtpy box but ebay goes on the sellers side because the item was sent and the seller is calling you the lier!
the seller wins £300 for an empty box !

Last edited by rs2klee; 22-05-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 22-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Dave_RS
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by S1rst
So if he send it back im assuming he will have to send it signed for so he can prove ive received it? Or will paypal just believe the buyer because he 'said' he sent it?

He's in romania by the way, but thanks for the offer mate.
Paypal protects the buyer and the seller mate, if he´s going to send it back to you it needs to be signed. He can say anything to paypal, but if he don´t have any proofs about it paypal will not give him money back (so they will not take your money for him).

Np with the offer mate, just keep it on mind if anytime any Spanish guy try to lie you like this, long time ago a guy on UK tried to scam me with some boost hoses and loads of ppl here tried to help me, so if i can, i will do the same to others.

CheeRS!