General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

weird problem on my xr2i CVH hot starting

Search this Thread

Old 19-05-2009, 11:17 AM
xr3irally
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird problem on my xr2i CVH hot starting

hi all,
i havn't investigated yet but just bought an xr2i for the stage 3 cvh thats in it for my rally car. well, from cold she starts spot on. straight away truns over fast and doesn't tap from cold. if i have done a long run and stop for more than half hour so it cools down it starts great the same. but if i stop it and try to start it again straight away when its hot it wont run!! it will not start, turns over like theirs no battery and doesnt want to know. now the weird bit, if i bump start it say just after it stopped to get it going it will tap like hell! for a few minutes! then it quietens, no idea where the tapping is coming from and whats causing it. can anyone shed any light?
Old 19-05-2009, 11:29 AM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

dont know if its the same for n/a cvh but my series2 turbo did this because the hot turbo was cooking the starter motor,thats all the idea i can suggest.
Old 19-05-2009, 12:15 PM
xr3irally

thats good news, because it has a 4 branch manifold that is bloody close to the starter motor which was my initial thought. that would explain not starting but would it explain the tapping? did yours tap and how did you solve it?
Old 19-05-2009, 12:27 PM
JokerDisco
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by kosman
dont know if its the same for n/a cvh but my series2 turbo did this because the hot turbo was cooking the starter motor,thats all the idea i can suggest.
Same with me the manifold etc was heating up the starter, mint from cold but as soon as you'd been on a run it wouldnt start and had to wait 10-15 mins for it to turn over, right nightmare when stopping for petrol.

I'm sure I put bigger starter on - heat wrap is good a good idea as well though
Old 19-05-2009, 12:36 PM
xr3irally

that was my first thought but it doesnt explain the tapping?? ny suggestioins, were your cars tapping when you bump started them when hot also?
Old 19-05-2009, 03:17 PM
steveyb
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

my starter has started doin this now, can you still get o.e. heat shields for the s2?

as for the tapping maybe the oil has drained just enough to tap the top end as when you start off the starter the pump has had a second or 2 to get oil up? just a thought?
Old 19-05-2009, 04:19 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

mine never tapped but i did always leave it till it went cold again,mainly because i never used it so cant answer that me man,and yeah geta good heatshield for your car and it should be ok.

Trending Topics

Old 19-05-2009, 04:29 PM
xr3irally

i am pretty sure its the heat thats making it not start its just the tapping thats worrying me. fair enough if it tapped for a few seconds i would put it down to the lifters losing pressure but it taps for literally 2mins!! that cant be right? when i start it cold in the morning it starts first turn of the motor and doesn't tap at all which is what most cvh's do when they lose pressure in the lifters. thats what makes me thing it isnt that.... how annoying!!!!! especially as its a donor engine for the rally car i dont want it failing on stage
Old 19-05-2009, 04:43 PM
Andie
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has the starter motor got a push on connecter or a "O" ring and nut? The push version expands with heat and even though it looks like it is ok the connection is not good. Ford did a conversion kit.
Old 19-05-2009, 07:38 PM
xr3irally

Originally Posted by Andie
Has the starter motor got a push on connecter or a "O" ring and nut? The push version expands with heat and even though it looks like it is ok the connection is not good. Ford did a conversion kit.
i didnt know that, and yes it does have a push on. i can see the logic there. i will get it converted this weekend. still doesn't explain the tap tap tap tapping i get though!!
Old 19-05-2009, 08:54 PM
xr3irally

anyone got a theory for the tapping?lol
Old 20-05-2009, 10:39 AM
xr3irally

last bump....
Old 20-05-2009, 12:48 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

how bad is your tapping? think you'd be best ringing a expert off here tbh,do cams tap? you could have a sticking tappet,common on cvh's
Old 20-05-2009, 12:58 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Try locate where the tapping is coming from since you say it taps for 2 minutes or so more than enough time to poke your head around and try narrow down a location.
Old 20-05-2009, 02:12 PM
xr3irally

it sounds exactly like tappets, thing is it doens't do it from cold whihc tappets usually do. and they would lose more pressure overnight than they would in the short time the car is stopped between runs. weird. i cant see the starter tapping as it wouldn't have move with a bump start unless it isn't disengaging properly? or my attempts at turning it slowly on the key are doing something. i dont know. will swap it into the rally car at the weekend and see if it likes it better in there!
Old 20-05-2009, 05:18 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xr3irally
it sounds exactly like tappets, thing is it doens't do it from cold whihc tappets usually do. and they would lose more pressure overnight than they would in the short time the car is stopped between runs. weird. i cant see the starter tapping as it wouldn't have move with a bump start unless it isn't disengaging properly? or my attempts at turning it slowly on the key are doing something. i dont know. will swap it into the rally car at the weekend and see if it likes it better in there!
i had same problem and it was due to the oil bein hot and draining out the tappetts a flush and som new oil it was loads better HTH mate
Old 20-05-2009, 05:24 PM
SelbyRST
4x4 SAFF

My seriers 2 used to do exactly the same thing.

It also did the tapping, it would only do it after trying to start it loads of times when its hot, when i came to bumping it, it wouold then tap. But say if it was still hot, but i hadnt tryed to start it normally and bumped it straight away, it wouldnt tap. So id say its some thing to do with that your trying to start it so many times?

I bought a new starter motor, a new heat shield for it from ford, and heat wrapped part of the exhaust and never had probloems again.
Old 20-05-2009, 06:16 PM
xr3irally

good good, at least im not the only one.lol, i think im gonna try and make up a heatshield this weekend when its out. and yes i tuend it over loads slowly before i bumped it and it tapped. hopefully it wont be an issue when its sorted and starts on the key. thanks for all the help!!