General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Looking for a job in the tuning industry? Apply within...

Search this Thread

Old 15-05-2009, 06:58 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

if only I knew something about engines
Old 15-05-2009, 07:11 PM
wapster
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

soz stu dont think you can afford me lol
Old 15-05-2009, 07:17 PM
Matt Tenpenny
also known as mini idiot

id love to do something like this but my 1st experence in the motor trade sucked then i didnt enjoy working at prodrive much due unsafe practices and idiotic managment.

once bitten,twice shy for me.
Old 15-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Kam B
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Would an IT contractor working in the city of London with IT degree and a love of cars have a chance?

Old 15-05-2009, 07:25 PM
4x4 ste
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Well im probably moving north but wasnt thinking of that far north

Steve
Old 15-05-2009, 08:16 PM
Nicole
PassionFord Post Troll

For anyone who thinks they don't have the relevant knowledge or qualifications should not be put off and should send their cv's over to Stu.

The right personality, common sense, dedication to the job and commitment levels sometimes far outweigh qualifications on paper. Being in HR i have personally employed many people because they were just the "right person for the job" as opposed to having all the qualifications and experience and this has always paid off in our favour.

Obviously you will need a good level of knowledge to get you started but this is a fast paced working environment and if you are fast on your feet, eager and able to learn fast then don't be afraid to apply. As Will has said, if successfull, you will not be thrown in at the deep end and will have a working trial before hand.

Take the plunge guys, life is what you make it.....

Last edited by Nicole; 15-05-2009 at 08:17 PM.
Old 15-05-2009, 08:46 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CV sent,

cheers.
Old 15-05-2009, 09:45 PM
richard youll
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

can i come and work for you?
Old 15-05-2009, 09:57 PM
saph4be
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

is there a closing date? will get my cv sorted and over to you at weekend.
Old 15-05-2009, 09:59 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting into mapping etc is something Im very interested in and have often thought about trying to learn. Its just a great shame you are not closer, within an hour or so's drive or Id have jumped at the chance.

Good luck finding someone to fill Will's shoes and good luck to you in your future after MSD too Will
Old 15-05-2009, 10:08 PM
fraser9764
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

This is my dream job! would happily move up to blackpool for this. no real automotive experience to speak off other than building rally cars in a barn and co-driving, but i have industrial IT and instrumentation experience and electronic engineering qualifications which may be of some relavence, and i am a quick learner and very eager.
i will try and sort out a CV and email it over tomorrow.
Good luck with the degree Will.

Last edited by fraser9764; 15-05-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 15-05-2009, 10:11 PM
.Ross.
Advanced PassionFord User

Salary or Hourly Pay Rate? (I know it say's Salary in the add .. Just double checking)

Company Car?

What Hour's are we talking about here? 39-week? .. Weekend work required?

How many Staff will the successful Applicant be supervising? etc etc
Still gonna need more Info before I would throw a CV at you mate.

Some people may call it a Dream job but we have got to get real here.
Old 16-05-2009, 03:12 AM
Jim Green
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Would you take on a 47 year old.........LOL.

Great job for someone, working for a reputable and highly respected tuning company. Just wish I was 25yrs younger.

Last edited by Jim Green; 16-05-2009 at 03:14 AM.
Old 16-05-2009, 04:44 AM
p17fld

Hi Stu, just sent you and email.
Old 16-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Wow... I wasnt expecting to come to work to so many CV's today!

I have applicants from as close as Blackpool, across to Sheffield, down as far as Devon and the record without doubt is a chap in Vietnam!

I will respond to you all one way or another, just give me time to sift through them all to create a shortlist please as the job is also advertised locally.

The main thing I woudl add is to make sure you still send me one in if you wish to do so. I will consider every application right up until I hire someone.
Old 16-05-2009, 10:16 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

The commute from Vietnam could be a bit of a killer!!
Old 16-05-2009, 10:32 PM
Miller 3
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bet i know who the one from Devon is and he defo knows his onions as im sure you are aware
Old 17-05-2009, 08:26 AM
p17fld

Originally Posted by DazC

Im coming back to the UK in August
Old 17-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by DazC
Could be easier than coming from Preston city center though i guess.
Old 17-05-2009, 02:44 PM
DazC
10K+ Poster!!

Yes, probably without a doubt! Fly in, then taxi to Bispham. Much easier than the grid lock of Preston with it's extremely outdated road network! Not the commute I'd like to do despite only being 15/20 miles away.
Old 17-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Rs1

Originally Posted by Dark-Horse
Still gonna need more Info before I would throw a CV at you mate.

Some people may call it a Dream job but we have got to get real here.
Your having a laugh mate....surly??

That straight away says your not interested.
Your not comitting to any when sending your CV... other than showing interest. Stu wont force you to work for him if your CV stacks up nicely, as he siad he want somebody who has enthusiam/keen interest for the job...he can teach you the skills required and wont be paying mega money for inexperience, thats just bad business.

If i was closer my CV would be straight in without knowing pay or hours.
Old 17-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Does my head in the 'if you were closer' lark,
If people were REALLY interested in the job they would know, or at least research what kind of money they would be on roughly, then price up digs or even a full housemove.
No job is too far away, but your commitment can be miles further.
Old 17-05-2009, 03:45 PM
Rs1

Originally Posted by Big G
Does my head in the 'if you were closer' lark,
If people were REALLY interested in the job they would know, or at least research what kind of money they would be on roughly, then price up digs or even a full housemove.
No job is too far away, but your commitment can be miles further.
Ive been in the motor trade, ive got a good idea what the money would be like, good idea on the hours, good idea on digs/rent/house move....however i think some jobs can be too far away(in every aspect), this is another part of the package that you would need to look at. No point in chasing down you dream job only to become a right miserable bastard outside of work, it'll soon find its way into your work day and it'll all down hill from there.
Everybody knows what they want, IF they have the interest then all they have to do is fire an email to Stu and hope he feels he want to take it further based on that. If he takes it further and lets you know of further details then its decission time for you again......Yes/No kiss me arse time.
Old 17-05-2009, 03:58 PM
.Ross.

Originally Posted by Rs1
Your having a laugh mate....surly??

That straight away says your not interested.
Your not comitting to any when sending your CV... other than showing interest. Stu wont force you to work for him if your CV stacks up nicely, as he siad he want somebody who has enthusiam/keen interest for the job...he can teach you the skills required and wont be paying mega money for inexperience, thats just bad business.

If i was closer my CV would be straight in without knowing pay or hours.
Never said I wasnt interested ... I have played simmilar roles but with bigger fish .. Dont think this would be anygood for me money wise plus, I wouldnt think a Company vehicle is included?

Stu aint interested either as he never answered a single question i asked.

Just asking for more info thats all .. How many jobs have you applied for just knowing the title?
Old 17-05-2009, 04:21 PM
Rs1

Never said I wasnt interested ... I have played simmilar roles but with bigger fish .. Dont think this would be anygood for me money wise plus, I wouldnt think a Company vehicle is included?

Stu aint interested either as he never answered a single question i asked.

Just asking for more info thats all .. How many jobs have you applied for just knowing the title?
How many have i applied for.........loads mate. What i normaly do if i have questions about pay etc is wait till i get an interview as thats when they normaly ask you if you have any questions or they tell you the details prior to the end of the interview. I dont think its happens very often that you start a job without knowing the score. Pretty sure that would be the case here aswell.
I take it you havnt emailed Stu with a CV, why not just drop him a email asking about what you need to know? I doubt he's gonna post up on here that he's paying Ł20 per hour for a tea boy.....with nice legs that fiddles with nuts.....and bolts as his inbox would be jammed.
Old 17-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Bear in mind guys this is no dream job, its technically just a job in a small backstreet workshop but it does offer those with a keen interest of engines and their inner workings a possibility to learn a lot more about them than any normal technicians job will bring. Not many technicians I have ever met can tell me if a cars running lean under acceleration or too close to the det line, nor have I ever met one that could tell the difference between an engine running high boost and low advance and one running high advance and low boost just by driving it. The successful applicant will be taught such skills, as well as what sort of fuel and ignition engines need to operate correctly and how to apply them correctly and safely. They will operate diagnostics on a daily basis and be taught what to look for in datastreams. They will also attend any diagnostics courses that Sun offer locally at my cost.

The other side to the job is you will get to see and experience the mail order tuning side of the industry as we have 90+ operators out there who we supply calibrations for on a daily basis and the successful applicant will learn quite a lot about how this side of the industry works and likely get to deal with these tuners on a daily basis. Again, if your interested in such things, then my business is one of the few places you can learn this.

Whilst it can be stressful here, I do believe we are a good company to work for. Whilst nobody can predict the future in this economic climate I am pleased to say we have grown larger every year since we opened back in 2000 and have just posted a better turnover in Quarter 1 2009 than the whole of 2008 so I believe our growth in the tuning sector proves your job security is as good or better than anywhere else in this industry. You will be paid by BACS on time every time and overtime is usually available most weeks.

Originally Posted by Rs1
however i think some jobs can be too far away(in every aspect), this is another part of the package that you would need to look at. No point in chasing down you dream job only to become a right miserable bastard outside of work, it'll soon find its way into your work day and it'll all down hill from there
I agree 100%. Distance is also related to your current life status. married with kids? Working away could be a nightmare, or a blessing, you choose... Currently live somewhere nice like say Devon, moving to rainy Blackpool could be too large a culture shock and I could lose you after spending 6 months training you! Its all relevant to the individual.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 17-05-2009 at 05:35 PM.
Old 17-05-2009, 05:33 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Never said I wasnt interested ... I have played simmilar roles but with bigger fish .. Dont think this would be anygood for me money wise plus, I wouldnt think a Company vehicle is included? Stu aint interested either as he never answered a single question i asked. Just asking for more info thats all .. How many jobs have you applied for just knowing the title?

Apologies, there is one simple reason for no replying and thats because i missed the questions.

The job can be salaried or hourly. Personally I prefer hourly but applicants do occasionally ask for salary instead. I'm easy. Actual rate will depend on the abilities, experience and age of the applicant and whether they become a technician solely working on the cars or wants to deal with customers too in a managerial role. IE: they books the cars in, meets and greets, takes money, invoices etc.

Hours expected are 40hrs per week minimum. Saturdays are not a necessity but may be requested in advance should we need to finish a job to a deadline.

At this moment in time the successful applicant will pretty much have the workshop to himself when we aren't helping him/her and have their own PC, although the staff issue may change in the future so he/she may become responsible for other technicians.
Old 17-05-2009, 05:34 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Stu do you guys have an apperentice also ? does this aid longevity for you?

Best of luck

Mike
Old 17-05-2009, 06:03 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Sounds good.

Is it the same process as last time Stu? I.e knock it down to a certain amount of applicants then interviews?

Cheers.
Old 17-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by OldDan
Sounds good.

Is it the same process as last time Stu? I.e knock it down to a certain amount of applicants then interviews?

Cheers.
You'll be in your element there Dan .....

.... All those Big Fat Slappers in Blackpool on Hen Doooo's

Recipe for corruption
Old 17-05-2009, 07:42 PM
robp-tt
ZETEC TURBO

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This sounds like my ideal job,ime very keen and willing to learn.probaly won't stand a chance but I will send you my cv tommrrow
Old 17-05-2009, 07:56 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate devon with a passion
Old 17-05-2009, 08:03 PM
blacky.
BANNED
BANNED

good luck finding someone & good luck will
Old 17-05-2009, 08:13 PM
T3ORA
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

is this not every ones dream job

all the thing stu has said about the job, i have have been there done it,and trust me its not easy, customer am hard work,in person or on the phone

and stu, were i work now, they am agent of evolution chip
Old 17-05-2009, 08:18 PM
JohnnyB
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no job is a dream job, but if I was 19 again with the passion I had for cars at the time, running a 2.1 pinto powered MKII escort it would be my dream job.

Now I need at least 35 to 40k for ends to meet it would not be, but roll back time God yes.
Old 17-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
no job is a dream job
&

it would be my dream job.
Old 17-05-2009, 09:58 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Originally Posted by MikeR
Stu do you guys have an apperentice also ? does this aid longevity for you?
No, I have never run an apprentice, although ive recently considered it.

Originally Posted by OldDan
Yes mate, pretty much standard procedure. The bonus is I know have an administrator here who can deal with a lot of it so its not such a stress for me as it usually is.

Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF
i hate devon with a passion
You would hate it even more when driving there fri night and back here Mon morning.

Originally Posted by T3ORA
and stu, were i work now, they am agent of evolution chip
Where is that pal?
Old 17-05-2009, 10:02 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

just say the word and i will get a rail pass, and find a little room to sleep in
Old 18-05-2009, 07:32 AM
Jay,
Sponsor

Received 407 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
&

lol all i can say is to work in this side of the industry i think you need more enthusiasim than baby learning to walk and all the garage or main dealer exsperience in the world wont prepare you , and those who think your well qualified well you will never stop learning so if you are a rteal car head it will feed the obsession
Old 18-05-2009, 07:49 AM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Absolutely FANTASTIC opportunity!

Id even be tempted to apply my self, unfortunately i know fuck all about engines!!

Quick Reply: Looking for a job in the tuning industry? Apply within...