General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

How many folks have run a marathon?

Search this Thread

Old 13-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many folks have run a marathon?

I'm going to have a go, how hard was it? Any tips?
Old 13-05-2009, 04:08 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i could happily walk it but bugger trying to jog/run it.i'd be knackered and out of breath by 3 miles if that
Old 13-05-2009, 04:09 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin Hadland
I'm going to have a go, how hard was it? Any tips?
which one are you thinking about running? London?

personally speaking, i wouldnt go straight for a marathon, i would start low and work upwards in distance

there are lots of runs you can compete it, such as race for life for charity etc, then look at increasing distance such as half marathons.

give yourself plenty of time to train and build up resitance and endurance

you also need to eat the correct foods, and try and find someone of similar fitness/ age to run with, it makes it so much easier.

Edit: as your in a big place, i would potentially try and find a running club with people of all abilitys.
plus there will be lots of events in brum to run in

Last edited by LHD220Turbo; 13-05-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Bullett
i could happily walk it but bugger trying to jog/run it.i'd be knackered and out of breath by 3 miles if that
You wimp, lol! I ran 12 miles last night but that's a long way off a marathon, having said that I have only just stated training for it so it should get easier.. I hope!!
Old 13-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
which one are you thinking about running? London?

personally speaking, i wouldnt go straight for a marathon, i would start low and work upwards in distance

there are lots of runs you can compete it, such as race for life for charity etc, then look at increasing distance such as half marathons.

give yourself plenty of time to train and build up resitance and endurance

you also need to eat the correct foods, and try and find someone of similar fitness/ age to run with, it makes it so much easier
Yes, want to run the London one. I will try a few 1/2 marathons first but I know I will be able to do one of those quite easily.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I believe the principle is the same for running as cycling, and when I first started doing the London to Brighton I was told if you can comfortably do 30 miles you can do 60. Applying the same logic if you can do 13 miles without any problem you should be able to do 26 without too much difficulty.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:15 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Yes, want to run the London one. I will try a few 1/2 marathons first but I know I will be able to do one of those quite easily.
apologies, i thought you hadnt run at all and was starting from scratch. In that case it "shouldnt" be too difficult to increase the distance to marathon distance

if you're not bothered about timings of your run (within reason) i would concentrate on just achieving the distance.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

You wimp, lol! I ran 12 miles last night but that's a long way off a marathon, having said that I have only just stated training for it so it should get easier.. I hope!!
really? bloody hell mate.that makes me feel shit then.im younger than you too i walk my dogs every day for a good while but i couldnt run more than 10mins.

what sort of pace are you talking as my missus says im running but i say its jogging
Old 13-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

apologies, i thought you hadnt run at all and was starting from scratch. In that case it "shouldnt" be too difficult to increase the distance to marathon distance

if you're not bothered about timings of your run (within reason) i would concentrate on just achieving the distance.
No apologies needed!! I am starting from scratch, I ran on the street for the first time last week. I have done 5 miles on the treadmill at the gym a few times but found it boring so decided to try it on the street instead.

First run was last Tuesday when I did 8 miles a lot easier than I thought I would, ran again last night and did 12.4 but that took a lot more effort.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:20 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

forgot to add, mental preperation is almost important as the physical side, you've got to believe you can do it.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:20 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

what sort of pace are you talking as my missus says im running but i say its jogging
First run 8.25 miles in 1hr 15mins, 2nd run 12.4 miles in 1hr 54mins.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:22 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

I'm just starting to run..doing a few 10ks this summer and maybe half marathon early spring

i'm doing an hour 3 times a week and am generally running 9 minute miles so far, i need to do more speed work but i'm having trouble keeping my heart rate down when I run, so i get tired too quickly. I'm about done after an hour!
Old 13-05-2009, 04:23 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gimmie a burger anyday
Old 13-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
I'm just starting to run..doing a few 10ks this summer and maybe half marathon early spring

i'm doing an hour 3 times a week and am generally running 9 minute miles so far, i need to do more speed work but i'm having trouble keeping my heart rate down when I run, so i get tired too quickly. I'm about done after an hour!
Surely it might be better to run slower to start with and then work up?
Old 13-05-2009, 04:25 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

No apologies needed!! I am starting from scratch, I ran on the street for the first time last week. I have done 5 miles on the treadmill at the gym a few times but found it boring so decided to try it on the street instead.

First run was last Tuesday when I did 8 miles a lot easier than I thought I would, ran again last night and did 12.4 but that took a lot more effort.
you must be quite fit ( ohh err ) to be able to run that sort of distance already, treadmills are good, but when i used to run alot i preferred to road run - if you thinking about doing the next London one, i would consider doing a few half ones before hand or even 5k runs just to get into the swing of things of running with lots of other people

look here for some event info http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/

ps: cold baths after a run are good for aching muscles i found
Old 13-05-2009, 04:27 PM
It's Czech Mate

Surely it might be better to run slower to start with and then work up?
I thought so, but dont wanna get into habit of running slow...i have a few mates who've done it already and they both said to mix in some speed work, and at least one day of cross training in the week, ie swim/cycle

I have a good base level of fitness as I cycle to a good standard and often do 30miles offroad but i'm just shit slow at running
Old 13-05-2009, 04:52 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

look here for some event info http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/

ps: cold baths after a run are good for aching muscles i found
Thanks for that, I will have a mooch on there tonight
Cold baths though... I may have to give that a miss and just take the pain!
Old 13-05-2009, 04:54 PM
mato
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I ran a marathon and fininished roughly in the top quarter. I found it easier than I had imagined and prior to running the marathon I hadn't done any run that was more than 1.5 hours. So I do not feel it is necessary to do many long runs in training, so long as you have a high level of personal fitness.
Old 13-05-2009, 04:56 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by mato
I ran a marathon and fininished roughly in the top quarter. I found it easier than I had imagined and prior to running the marathon I hadn't done any run that was more than 1.5 hours. So I do not feel it is necessary to do many long runs in training, so long as you have a high level of personal fitness.
Good info
Old 13-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Gadget
Spanner monkey

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Fuck that, i run half a mile and i'm blowing out of my arse.
Personal note to self... Get fit.
Old 13-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

First run 8.25 miles in 1hr 15mins, 2nd run 12.4 miles in 1hr 54mins.
im sooo unfit! that sounds pretty good to me.
Old 13-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

I do a fair bit of running Martin, not run a marathon.....to far for me and tbh i wouldn't bother unless i could beat my old mans time of 2h36min, he would never let me forget it otherwise. I run half mara distance quite regular, every sunday really.
You'll probably need.... to RUN a marathon -
1 long run per week of 15-20 miles and a couple of mid distance of 7-8 miles(ish). Try not to run on cosecutive days and consentrate on time on your feet rather than speed.
In between your running do some cross training, something low impact would be best....cycling, swimming, rowing.
I'd definatly try some 10k's, 10 milers or halfs before you do a full.
Old 13-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Farmer Giles
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr S1
I believe the principle is the same for running as cycling, and when I first started doing the London to Brighton I was told if you can comfortably do 30 miles you can do 60. Applying the same logic if you can do 13 miles without any problem you should be able to do 26 without too much difficulty.
There's a huge difference between running 13 miles and running 26 miles IMO

If your already running 12 miles then your a long way down the road but there's lots to consider when running a marathon. The main one being nutrition, if you don't eat right and prepare then your body will run out of fuel at about 20 miles and you will hit the so called wall. So carb loading is vital in the week leading up to the race and you will need to take carbo gels or bars with you on the road and make sure you are extremely well hydrated.

As already mantioned have a read on runners world as there are plenty of training guides and tips but most of them, even the four hours plus schedules, require 5 or 6 runs per week.. When I did London in 2006 I trained mostly 3 but towards the end of training 4 times a week as I was trying to get the miles in.

It's one of those things where the more you put in the 'easier' it will be. From a good half marathon level I would say you need at least 3 months to properly prepare for a marathon. It's a huge commitment on your time when you have to go out for 2 hour plus runs.

HTH

Martyn
Old 13-05-2009, 07:22 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

A little tip...

A mate just did it and did his training using a nikey gadget that tells you how far you have ran/walked.

Only trouble was it isn't acurate, and at 21 miles told him he was done, so the next so many miles were a killer for two reasons.

A) he had not been running as longer distance as he thought in training so wasn't prepared

B) he said mentally it was a killer as he thought he was done, but had miles to go lol!!

He said some daft c**t put had errected a brick wall at 15 miles which was a bit of a pain!!

He did say after that during it he thought NEVER again, but a day or two later registered for next year!
Old 13-05-2009, 08:14 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by matts1
A little tip...

A mate just did it and did his training using a nikey gadget that tells you how far you have ran/walked.

Only trouble was it isn't acurate, and at 21 miles told him he was done, so the next so many miles were a killer for two reasons.
I marked my route out using 2 cars and recorded the same distance so I should be ok, I'm going to buy a Garmin watch and I hope that's accurate!
Old 13-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Rs1

Another good tip is not to run the same route twice in one week and dont do any loops that pass your house....its far too tempting.
Old 13-05-2009, 08:32 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Rs1
Another good tip is not to run the same route twice in one week and dont do any loops that pass your house....its far too tempting.
My loop does pass my house but I'm not tempted to stop!
Old 14-05-2009, 07:01 AM
Franco
10K+ Poster!!

Think you'll find its harder walking Neil!!!!!

My missus did the moonwalk a couple of years ago, and that is basically a marathon style route (23-24miles I think) and she was FUCKED after!!

She said the hardest part was mentally as so many times she just wanted to sit and take 5!!
Old 14-05-2009, 08:42 AM
nthorpey

Did the London marathon last year as my first running event!

I see myself as relativly fit as I spend all of my free time mountain biking.

The number one thing needed to run the marathon distance is will power as no matter how fit you are the body really only stored enough energy to run 20-24 miles before it starts to deplete dependign on your personal metabolism.

I would say apply for the marathon and follow the guides on the marathon site and adapt them to your personal situation.

I trained for 8 months building up slowly to gain muscle mass in the right places and then train the muscles to 'slow burn'.

Another thing you also need to learn funny as it seems is how to run and conserve as much energy as possible.

The training is gruelling and boring but all worth it when the gun goes at 9.45am at Greenwich and you are cheered on my hundreds of thousands of strangers for 26miles. Also pretty good going into the pubs around trafalgar square with your finshers medal on is also good as you'll get randoms buying you drinks!

Entered for this years ballot but will do it agian for charity if I don't get in first time. Raised over Ł2000 last time which is also a great feeling.
Old 14-05-2009, 11:10 AM
xrmalin

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One thing thats not been said is get yourself some properly fitted running shoes
Old 14-05-2009, 11:36 AM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by xrmalin
One thing thats not been said is get yourself some properly fitted running shoes
First thing I did
Old 14-05-2009, 11:48 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man

Your setting off too fast then. Try running @ 10min/mile pace for your entire run. It's harder than what you think to run at a slower pace for longer. This way you will gain endurance.

I started 9 min/mile.

I train at 8 min/mile

I race @ 7.20-8.00 min/mile

Your heart rate will drop naturally but will go up if your tired.

An hour is a bit long. Try alternating your days, heres mine,

Mon - Rest
Tues - 8 mile (club)
Wed - 5.5 mile (easy)
Thur - 8 mile/speed session/hill session (club)
Fri - Rest
Sat - Rest (or 5.5 mile easy depending on how I feel)
Sun - Long run minimum 10 mile max 15 (one Sunday out of 8 do 18 mile)

Old 14-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

First thing I did
Yep then once you've found a pair that suit you, buy another 4 pairs of the same. They will change design by the time you come to need some more and nothings worse than having to find new trainers.

I use Asics Nimbus for long runs of over 10 miles, but I find them a bit 'baggy' around the toe box.

I race and train in Nike Skylons 2007 model (light weight). It took me a few pairs to find the right ones then when the new ones came out I bought 4 pairs of the old ones

Remember they only last 500 miles then you have to bin them as the cushioning goes....
Old 14-05-2009, 11:57 AM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

isnt it hard to get into the london marathon?
Old 14-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used to run 5k every day in my lunch hour and i've just realised thats about a year now since i've been running

People find it boring but i far prefer it as cardio to others. I used to run only on a treadmill basically so i could keep tabs on dist/time. People have mentioned it's easier/better running outside but i've never got round to it.

I think i need to focus on an event to get going again.

Only ran 10k 2-3 times and my best time was 51.24. Thats prob quite pants but hey.
Old 14-05-2009, 12:04 PM
It's Czech Mate

Originally Posted by saphcosmike
Your setting off too fast then. Try running @ 10min/mile pace for your entire run. It's harder than what you think to run at a slower pace for longer. This way you will gain endurance.

I started 9 min/mile.

I train at 8 min/mile

I race @ 7.20-8.00 min/mile

Your heart rate will drop naturally but will go up if your tired.

An hour is a bit long. Try alternating your days, heres mine,

Mon - Rest
Tues - 8 mile (club)
Wed - 5.5 mile (easy)
Thur - 8 mile/speed session/hill session (club)
Fri - Rest
Sat - Rest (or 5.5 mile easy depending on how I feel)
Sun - Long run minimum 10 mile max 15 (one Sunday out of 8 do 18 mile)

Thanks for the advice
Old 14-05-2009, 12:08 PM
FestaRST
Part of the Furniture

I ran the London Marathon 4 times.. well the mini marathon for under 18's (it was 3 miles)
Old 14-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Lambchop

People find it boring but i far prefer it as cardio to others. I used to run only on a treadmill basically so i could keep tabs on dist/time. People have mentioned it's easier/better running outside but i've never got round to it.

Only ran 10k 2-3 times and my best time was 51.24. Thats prob quite pants but hey.
Treadmills are good. They give your knee a break from all of the pounding on the tarmac. Your knee has no shock absortion, it's simply a pivot joint like your elbow.

Also if you pick an injury up you can simply press stop. Where as if your out on the road I know I have felt my knee pull and still made it home running at least 3 miles on it.

Your time is not that bad. I'm am unfit at the moment and would probably do there abouts that. my best time for a 10k was 43:12 if I remember, 10 miler 1hour 9mins

At the end of the day if you can complete the course without stopping youve acheived something
Old 14-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Martin Hadland
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Yep then once you've found a pair that suit you, buy another 4 pairs of the same. They will change design by the time you come to need some more and nothings worse than having to find new trainers.

I use Asics Nimbus for long runs of over 10 miles, but I find them a bit 'baggy' around the toe box.

I race and train in Nike Skylons 2007 model (light weight). It took me a few pairs to find the right ones then when the new ones came out I bought 4 pairs of the old ones

Remember they only last 500 miles then you have to bin them as the cushioning goes....
I have Asics GT's ... Didn't realise they only have a short life though, mine are 5% worn already!!
Old 14-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Rs1

Aye its bloody expensive isn't it,lol.
Ive use a different pair for each session almost.

My weeks consists of....
Mon - 1.6-3.2 mile of varying pace to loosen off from sunday.
Tue - Track, 1.5 mile warm/1.5 warm down + around 3 mile during the session
Wed - 1.6-3.2 to loosen off(really need this after a track session)
Thu - 8-9 mile on the road inc. hills, 6-7 min mile pace.
Fri - 3.2-5.4 mile varying pace
Sat - REST!!!!
Sun - 12-15 mile 8-9 min mile pace with a few hills/speedwork chucked in for fun.

Quick Reply: How many folks have run a marathon?