General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Anyone into BOXING?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009 | 09:18 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Default Anyone into BOXING?

Hello,

Does anyone box? i.e for fitness only? Really want to get into it looks very hard work, not quite sure where to start, as there seems to be amateur boxer stuff (not what I want to get into) sparring only and punch bags.

Who's into it? also can't seem to find a gym around here that does it - just thai boxing sort of stuff.
Old 04-05-2009 | 09:48 PM
Retro Al
RWD IS KING

I do thai boxing,much better than normal boxing imo,you learn the same stuff as boxers and you learn how to kick/knee and elbow much better for all round fitness
Old 04-05-2009 | 10:38 PM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Some of the more sophisticated and more expensive gyms offer boxing classes. I myself have been getting interested and for now I am just going to stick a bag in the garage and start on that (fitness only like yourself) although with anything, the technique is the most important thing so I will be seeking some advice first from people who do classes/teach or can advise on this. Are you a gym member?
Old 04-05-2009 | 10:51 PM
OldDan
PassionFord Post Whore!!

No - very short attention span and get bored easily when on my own!

This is why I want to try boxing - get any unwanted aggression out, get fit, and try something new and different
Old 05-05-2009 | 12:11 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Forget the bigger gyms Dan. Find an old skool one, like in the Rocky films. They tend to have a ring, and a few punch bags. There's loads about.

Benni.
Old 05-05-2009 | 12:12 AM
CRAIG HAYTER
BANNED

i done amateur boxing for near 6 year was great but i started smoking fags and it slowed me down........alot got older drink,girls etc etcits a great work out but the next day after the first few times you go you will be in painthats if your pushing yourself as you will need to or no point in doing it your heart has to be in it i would recomend going for it if your willing to push yourself to your fisical limits?i was speaking to my old manager 2 days ago and he was asking me to get back into ittoo lazy now

Last edited by CRAIG HAYTER; 05-05-2009 at 12:14 AM.
Old 05-05-2009 | 12:47 AM
snedboy
BANNED

Very good sport to get into for fitness.I come from a boxing family and done boxing myself but like RETRO_AL i ended up going down kickboxing route myself aswell

If you get a good trainer it will really benefit you as they will push you to beyond what you thought capable yourself and your fitness and alertness levels will be super high

I did enjoy it when i done it and coming from a family of boxing,Dad a champion,i think that helped but my preference was and would still be with kickboxing if i ever went back to a sport like that

Trending Topics

Old 05-05-2009 | 02:17 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Years ago I went to a boxing gym that the now ex boxer Pat Barrett was at, mainly for the fitness rather than boxing, I gave up when I got bullied into sparring with his 12 year old nephew and he twatted me
Kept saying I would try and get back into going but my motivation needs a kick up the arse.
Old 05-05-2009 | 02:31 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Do you want to learn the art of Boxing or just the fitness work that goes into it as thats a big difference. As with any sort of fitness training, start small and gradually build it up, no point "putting it in" and hurting yourself and then that leads to you not going back.

If you want to learn how to box, then any gym/trainer worth anything will learn you the basics using pads, floor to ceiling ball etc.. and "only" when you are competent will you be allowed in the ring for sparring with a live opponent, so dont be worrying about being put in the ring. If you go somewhere and they throw you in the ring with an opponent straight away, leave.

The last advice I can give you is, the big lad from the pub etc.. that can handle himself or throw a few punches will most likely get a bad beating in the ring as unlike a street fight there is rules to be followed. Take Hattons last fight, Pacquaio showed up to box, Hatton showed up to fight.

Last edited by tonyk; 05-05-2009 at 02:32 PM.