General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Another question for the Builders/DIY'rs

Search this Thread

Old 26-04-2009, 03:20 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another question for the Builders/DIY'rs

Right then part Deux of flooring lol. I have put the lamite flooring down in the hall now and i must say i think its a good job for a first timer, on a shitty floor lol.

Now im into the kitchen, the floor on parts is way worse than hall so deffinatley need to level it on two parts. This leads me till next question... Any tips on using self leveling? As i have to put this down. Read you have to put PVA down first then leveling compound on top? Also can i build it up gradually as i would say the floor is approx 12mm out in places .

Want to attempt tomorrow as going to have a day off now
Old 26-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Just thinking if i tile the floor in the kitchen i suppose you can level it a bit with the bonding on the floor? Orginally thinking about laminate, but not sure if floor is to far gone.

Poxy old houses noothing straight.
Old 26-04-2009, 04:16 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

even if tiling, i would level it out first as it will make putting the tile adhesive, and hence the tiles, down level easier
Old 26-04-2009, 08:02 PM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I just did this in my kitchen back in Feb.
Mines had NEVER been levelled properly when the house was built back in 1890.
Yes, paint neat PVA down on the floor first, then lasy the self levelling stuff on top, whilst it is still tacky.

As for mixing the self levelling stuff, DON'T be tempted to add a bit more powder for luck! You need the stuff to be watery so that it finds the level by itself.
Make sure that at the level that you will be pouring th stuff up to can be stopped, i.e. no pour into the next room coz it's lower that the room your doing.

It's very easy to use, but goes hard quick, so you only have 20 mins or so to pour it.

Don't be afraid to use a float to fix bits, but make sure that it levels out again.

If the PVA dries before you get to the bit, paint it again.

Good luck!
Old 26-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Cheers!!! Will give it a go. Think after work tomorrow i will clean floor properly as quite dusty and has bits of plaster around it etc. Then will lay it down. Only problem i have is the two uneven bits are by either doors to get out. pmsl. So i will have to either jump over it or try and work out how to do it from one of the exit doors.

Rocky will it just find the level, or should i also trowl it etc?
Old 26-04-2009, 08:26 PM
Moonstone Steve.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have hollow parts or a end thats low it will and should fill these out first then will spread elsewhere.

Steve
Old 29-04-2009, 11:33 AM
rocky_robin
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

If it's mixed properly (per the instructions and no added powder just for luck), it will find it's level.
I trowelled mine to allow it to cover the floor, as it will speed up the spread. Just like water on a dry sloped surface - it will only flow in 1 direction, even though you want to spread it around and level the whole surface.
No need to trowel it level.

Trending Topics

Old 29-04-2009, 01:53 PM
ben_frst
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i always use the mapei compound latex system its well priced and easy to use if you can find it locally (proper non chain tile shop) i would recommend it all the instructions are on the back its a 2 compound system and imo the best
Old 29-04-2009, 02:35 PM
D700 OMB
Its standard!!

Yeah cant go wrong with a self leveling latex screed. Wouldnt bother trying to build it up though.
Just mix it up a "little" thicker(more powder) and use a carbon stone to rub it down to the level you need. Beats having to mix up and spread more for the sake of 5 min rubbing down, plus it will take out any faint trowel marks.
Use a straight edge trowel to spead it on the floor.
Old 29-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Tried is last night, erm prob a 70% good job pmsl. ITs not 100% Smooth etc, the floor is better but must have mixed it up wrong though i did follow instructions. ITs a bit bumpy in places though over all its helped a bit. I could do with another light coat over the top tbh. But might leave it now and maybe if tile the floor build the difference with adesive.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Oh well what a balls ache. All cracked and went to shit! Ended up taken it up today. Not sure what went wrong. Think will now leave it till the builder.