General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Garmin Sat nav users beware.... It has just cost me 3 points and £60!

Search this Thread

Old 22-04-2009, 07:57 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Garmin Sat nav users beware.... It has just cost me 3 points and £60!

I'm sure you all take speed camera warnings on your Sat Nav seriously, but make sure it is upto date ... I got a brand new Garmin Nuvi just before xmas, and lat week I got done by a fixed Scamra , doing 40 in a 30. I made the mistake of trusting the satnav as I was in an area I don't know, it was pissing down and dark, so when it bought the warning of the "Fixed Camera 40Mph", I naturally went through at 40, only to be flashed ...

I rang the council today, asking when the limit had been changed from a 40 to a 30, and it was back in August 2007, so the Garmin I bought at the very end of 2008 was already a year and a half out of date ...

To say I am fucking fuming is an understatement.... Yes I know in the long run it is my fault for not seeing the 30 signs miles back, but there are no repeaters, but there you go
Old 22-04-2009, 08:00 PM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Ouch. Feel for ya mate.
Old 22-04-2009, 08:00 PM
The Youth.
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

ouch!!
unlucky m8, I would ring the sun, they would like that sort of story, and they might even pay ya fine for ya!!

steve
Old 22-04-2009, 08:02 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RWD_cossie_wil
Yes I know in the long run it is my fault for not seeing the 30 signs miles back, but there are no repeaters, but there you go
of course there are no repeaters, there usually aren't in 30 zones as the streetlights indicate the limit as being 30. might be time to re-read your highway code mate
Old 22-04-2009, 08:06 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

if theres no speed signs and theres street lights always assume its a 30.
how about contacting the garmin people outraged at their out of date equipment. you never know , you might end up compensated somehow.
Old 22-04-2009, 09:02 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the Garmins don't really have a current UK update.

I've been up to Aberdeen a few times and there is a section of dual carraigeway which is 70mph. The fucking satnav was telling me to slow down to 40! The first time I did it all the cars behind me were beeping there horns and the folk were going mental. Lol. Went through it at 70 the next time and I was fine.

Checked on the Garmin website, and the only update available is a European one which costs far too much to buy just to have the UK updated.
Old 22-04-2009, 09:07 PM
nickscunny
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

bit of a question....

I have a TomTom that i regularly plug into to get an update. Yet it still states theres an average 50 limit on the M18/M1 junction even though there isnt.....

Oh and how can you get map updates, theres a new estate in my town thats been open for about 3 years and it still isnt on the TomTom maps.....

Trending Topics

Old 22-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

your supposed to update these things?

had a tomtom for a year now, and not done it lol

tbh tho, i just usually look where im going
Old 22-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Just look where your going, i only use my tomtom as a road guide!
Old 22-04-2009, 11:16 PM
Rs Baz
PassionFord Post Whore!!

how is it your fault ?????

you say it was pissing down with rain and it was dark, how clear where the signs not all signs are clear.

also was it a built up area only built up areas have 30 mph speed limit..

FUZZY i woudnt of thought garmin will do anything thay will just say you should of updated it
Old 22-04-2009, 11:28 PM
madmack99
I Love BooST

feel for you bud
Old 22-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

If there were no repeaters and its not street lit, then you can get that overturned im sure.

If it was streetlit then I guess its just a lesson to look at signs not satnav to see the speed limit, certainly an easy mistake to make though, I reckon many of us could easily make the same error in that circumstance, im sure I would, which is why I dont have speed limits on my satnav, so I have to pay attention to the road instead.
Old 23-04-2009, 01:48 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Fudgey
your supposed to update these things?

had a tomtom for a year now, and not done it lol

tbh tho, i just usually look where im going
Fudgey, correct me if I am wrong, but did you not get done in weston super mare for a very similar thing, ie you thought the speed limit was higher than it was? .... Very very easy mistake to make!... anyway

The long and short of it is that I did not spot the 30 signs due to the weather/dark/unfamillier area, which created a high workload due to being concerned with driving safley and finding my way. obviously the sat nav is normally a good safty net/cross checker of the speed limit, but this one time I wasn't sure of the limit (Urban duel carridgeway, lit , 30Mph zone but is 40Mph either side of the camera , easily mistakeable for a 40 limit) I trusted the sat nav to my downfall ...

The fucking annoying thing is if you get nailed speeding by a copper when you are out playing etc, at least you can say it's fair cop if you have been speeding, we all own performance cars/bikes, and I am sure most of us see getting nabbed occasionally as an occupational hazard.

But, if I had been pulled by a copper for the offence there is every chance I would have been let off/had the chance to explain I was genuinly trying to behave, (As I always do in 30's and 40's) and probably left the incident with no points or fine, and a greater knowledge of the road I was on... I just feel like I have been punished for a genuine mistake, and that the whole point of the speed camera has been missed, as I was still "Speeding" , so theoretically the danger is still there as the whole point of a speed limit/camera is to reduce peoples speed for a reason, not just catch them and punish them without removing the hazard!!!

I am just wondering if I should bite the bullet, bend over and take the 3 points and £60, or turn down the fixed penalty and go to court, but plead guilty with mitigating circumstances to see if they would even consider a speed awareness course or somthing similar? Just would like my nice clean licence to stay like that

Last edited by RWD_cossie_wil; 23-04-2009 at 01:50 AM.
Old 23-04-2009, 04:50 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by nickscunny
bit of a question....

I have a TomTom that i regularly plug into to get an update. Yet it still states theres an average 50 limit on the M18/M1 junction even though there isnt.....

Oh and how can you get map updates, theres a new estate in my town thats been open for about 3 years and it still isnt on the TomTom maps.....
Can you not use your own map corrections within the menu?

Also my Tomtom does this on the A1, picks upa 40 mph speed limit for some reason

It's obviously 70mph
Old 23-04-2009, 05:15 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I am just wondering if I should bite the bullet, bend over and take the 3 points and £60, or turn down the fixed penalty and go to court, but plead guilty with mitigating circumstances to see if they would even consider a speed awareness course or somthing similar? Just would like my nice clean licence to stay like that
you may well be offered the speed awareness course if you accept the fixed penalty
Old 23-04-2009, 08:11 AM
Cossy Mike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 60 Likes on 57 Posts

I beleive you would be offered the course 'first'. Some Police forces don't do it.

Also 40mph may may too high to be offered a course, if it was say 37mph then maybe.

Old 23-04-2009, 08:15 AM
blacky.
BANNED
BANNED

I'm sure you all take speed camera warnings on your Sat Nav seriously, but make sure it is upto date ... I got a brand new Garmin Nuvi just before xmas, and lat week I got done by a fixed Scamra , doing 40 in a 30. I made the mistake of trusting the satnav as I was in an area I don't know, it was pissing down and dark, so when it bought the warning of the "Fixed Camera 40Mph", I naturally went through at 40, only to be flashed ...

I rang the council today, asking when the limit had been changed from a 40 to a 30, and it was back in August 2007, so the Garmin I bought at the very end of 2008 was already a year and a half out of date

To say I am fucking fuming is an understatement.... Yes I know in the long run it is my fault for not seeing the 30 signs miles back, but there are no repeaters, but there you go

i bet your one of the people that sits in the right hand lane on the motorway cos the sat nav says keep right at every junction

why do people feel the need to not look at whats happening outside the car & drive by listening to the sat nav
Old 23-04-2009, 01:45 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by blacky.
i bet your one of the people that sits in the right hand lane on the motorway cos the sat nav says keep right at every junction

why do people feel the need to not look at whats happening outside the car & drive by listening to the sat nav
So you have NEVER been unsure or wrong about a speed limit then? EVER?
Old 23-04-2009, 04:22 PM
blacky.
BANNED
BANNED

no but i have been cought 3 times just over the limit in a 30
Old 23-04-2009, 09:27 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

Fudgey, correct me if I am wrong, but did you not get done in weston super mare for a very similar thing, ie you thought the speed limit was higher than it was? .... Very very easy mistake to make!... anyway
vary true my friend. that was pulling out of a roundabout and nailing it sidways with the welded diff onto the duel carrageway. the only 30mph sign was 100 yards PAST where the cunt in the camera van was.

i was clocked at 50 in a 30 going in a straight line lol.

the 5 points are up this november, but stay on for another year...

camera vans are the main reason why i dont have a front numberplate lol.

tbh mate, i dont usually take much notice of the speed limits on the twatnav, as they are usually wrong. well, my tomtom is pretty shite tbh.
Old 23-04-2009, 09:32 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

LMAO next youll be moaning it wasnt driving the fucking car for you FFS
Old 23-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Bodge22
Wanna be whore...

I feel for ya mate, but you shold've done what every other twat round my way does. If your not sure of the speed limit slam on your brakes at the last second and slow down to 30mph I never listen to my satnav anymore the speed camera warning goes off all the time so i can never trust it, and i'm sure you won't be anymore.
Old 24-04-2009, 12:40 AM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
LMAO next youll be moaning it wasnt driving the fucking car for you FFS
The point I am trying to make is yes, I was completely at fault for not seeing the speed limit, but I am sure that everyone has had a situation when driving is quite hard, ie crap weather, dark, don't know the area etc so all of your attention is focused on driving the car safely. As I was unsure of the speed limit, and the road and all it's features lent itself to being a 40Mph limit, and the satnav gave a fixed camera warning of 40Mph, I think it is fair to say that most people would have taken that little bit of help and gone through the camera at 40Mph ...

But I forgot this is PassionFord and everyone is perfect
Old 24-04-2009, 12:58 AM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Fudgey
the only 30mph sign was 100 yards PAST where the cunt in the camera van was.
I dont understand that? surely if the 30 zone sign is in front of the van then you were in the 50 zone when he took the photo????