General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Contact Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 15-04-2009, 09:32 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contact Lenses

Does anybody were contact lens? How easy are they to change and what are the best quality ones, money is no object. One last question, is it better to have monthly or daily change contacts?

Any help appreciated
Old 15-04-2009, 09:35 PM
Rab
Fucking superstar........

Interested in this too. I used to wear 1 day acuvue advance, but found they were useless for the astigmatism in my right eye. Left eye sight was perfect, but right eye wasn't.

They're easy to change, after you've done it a few times. The ones you leave in all month are best, but may not be avaliable for your prescription.

Life is alot easier with them tbh! And it opens up the options of buying expensive shades
Old 15-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I alternate between daily disposable contact lenses and my glasses.

I got told the one day soft acuvue were best for my eyes, as they were really soft, i also have astigmatism in my left eye.

My left eye prescription is -2.5 and my right eye is -1.5

Its weird because sometimes they will go in really easily, and likewise to remove... but other times i can spend up to fifteen minutes trying to get the bloody things in!

But if you go to your optician, they will recommend the best ones for your eye shape, and prescription strength, and also give you a proper lesson on how to put them in and take them out!!!

Good luck!
Old 15-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Toe Knee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine are -1 and -1.5(oooh M we can share 1 of them lol), cant remember the type mine are thou but their the newer softest ones that they say u can wear all the time but my optician didnt recoomend it!! but for the amount of hours i need them in their the best, ive actually worn them in overnight to test them and just wet them up again in situ (ie in my eyes lol) and they were fine!!!

Not so bad now but i used 2 wear them from 6am when i left for work, till 8pm or later!!

1 pair lasts 2 weeks and their about Ł30 PM IIRC

Last edited by Toe Knee; 15-04-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 15-04-2009, 09:43 PM
DAN400
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i use daily change ones,but i fine they dry out after 2-3 hours,fine for me as i only use for playin football, goin out etc, if i d the cash i d get them lazered,my mate got it done said it was the best money he ever spent !
Old 15-04-2009, 09:48 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

oooh i forgot to add, mine cost about Ł13 a month for 10 pairs!
Old 15-04-2009, 09:54 PM
col cos1
BANNED
BANNED

i use to use them,they are good but,sometimes come in pished forget to take them out,your eyes nipped,sometimes a bastard to put in,once i got tired i felt they didint sit right,not very good at work if your in the building trade either,constant dust

i got lazer 3 years ago never looked back,best 2k spent
Old 15-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i use monthly ones, wear them for about 16 hours a day, but dont bother at weekends when im not at work lol

cost about Ł20 a month, but that includes lenses, cleaning solution and eye tests.

i find its easier to put them in by pulling down my bottom eyelid, and laying an edge on it, then slowly release the pressure and it kind of flicks it up into your eye.

doing it the poke in the eye method never worked for me as the lens just stuck to my fingertip!!

mine are accuvue or something, but you can get more expensive ones that are supposed to be better, i trialed them for a month and for the extra Ł6 a month it would have cost, i could find any reason to change to kept with what i use
Old 15-04-2009, 09:56 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I normally were the 30 day continuous ones, but take them out 1 night a week or so to give my eyes a break from them. I prefer these because as Maria said, it can sometimes be a pain to get them in. It makes life so simple though.

But the best advice is to speak to your optician and see what they advise
Old 15-04-2009, 10:21 PM
PhilM
PassionBMW.com Member

1 day accuvue mate, have used allsorts in the past but by far the best are the daily disposables....no cleaning fluid, any problems throw them away and put another one in, very comfortable too compared to monthly ones
Old 15-04-2009, 10:33 PM
Glenn_
Glennvestite

Received 1,044 Likes on 998 Posts

I wear them too.I wear mine for 2 weeks then use a new pair.Sometimes it seems to take ages in a morning to clean them.It only takes a tiny bit of crap to be on the lense and it hurts your eyes loads.
Old 15-04-2009, 10:44 PM
furqall
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

i wear the monthly ones and only take them out the night before i change pairs each month and my eyes are fine. they cost Ł25 per month with free check ups.
Old 15-04-2009, 11:08 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Thanks for the info peeps. HAs anyone got experience of the coloured ones?
Old 15-04-2009, 11:56 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Hi Tony,
I have worn glasses and contacts all my adult life, tried most brands of daily weekly and monthly and to my mind nothing can beat specsavers current monthly option.

Pop them in on the 2nd of month. Take them out on 31st. Have one day without them. Pop new ones in on 2nd again. Incredible life changing technology for me.

Cost?
Ł15PM Direct debit. Substantially cheaper than all the glass I used to break working on cars upside down and falling asleep in the damned things at night.

With specsavers, all the 3 monthly checkups and any emergency care is included in the price as well as any replacements should you lose a set. I'm not sure how they make any money a all to be honest!
Old 16-04-2009, 12:45 AM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

I did as Stu used to do above..... but working in modern air conditioned offices sometimes doesn't mix with contact lenses. I had to stop wearing mine when I went to work for my current employer, but have been thinking recently that I may try them again.
Old 16-04-2009, 10:44 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i wear monthly, but not everyday. like to give the eyes a good rest quite often.

having astigmatism means that the lenses are weighted so if you put your head upside down the lense rotates and focus is lost

i buy mine from vision direct
Old 16-04-2009, 11:04 AM
doctor stavros
AMG C32

my prescription is -2.75 left and -3.25 right, and i use the d&a 30 day washable lenses, I pay about Ł7.60 per month (i rang up threatening to leave)

Ive been wearing lenses for about 7 yrs now, and every time i have a checkup, my optician trys to flog me a new set of lenses, which I try, but always come back to these 30 day washable ones.

Putting them in and taking them out really does become second nature after a while, nothing to worry about

Last edited by doctor stavros; 16-04-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:11 AM
wrx-maniac-22
Part of the Furniture

If money is no object why not consider lazer surgery?i will be soon,everyone i have spoken to rates it highly.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:16 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Originally Posted by wrx-maniac-22
If money is no object why not consider lazer surgery?i will be soon,everyone i have spoken to rates it highly.
are you going all the way to america to have it?

i would not want to spend that much on something that has the risks and is not permanent. i don't find glasses and contact lenses that much of a hassle.
Old 16-04-2009, 11:17 AM
Mrs Jtechsaff
500bhp saff cossie

I wear contacts now and again but I get really funny about things going near my face as I am so used to glasses protecting my face, apart from that, love wearing them.

I get dry eyes and so I have the ones that somehow re-wet themselves - I have no idea how they do it but they work for me.
Old 16-04-2009, 01:06 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by wrx-maniac-22
Im put of by what the long term problems mights be. Nobody can say they know for sure as Laser Surgery hasnt been out that long and who wants to take a risk with the old peepers!
Old 16-04-2009, 01:08 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Hi Tony,
I have worn glasses and contacts all my adult life, tried most brands of daily weekly and monthly and to my mind nothing can beat specsavers current monthly option.

Pop them in on the 2nd of month. Take them out on 31st. Have one day without them. Pop new ones in on 2nd again. Incredible life changing technology for me.

Cost?
Ł15PM Direct debit. Substantially cheaper than all the glass I used to break working on cars upside down and falling asleep in the damned things at night.

With specsavers, all the 3 monthly checkups and any emergency care is included in the price as well as any replacements should you lose a set. I'm not sure how they make any money a all to be honest!
Cheers Stu,

Do you were them at night as well and just take them out for a whole day before starting again. I know your post is worded that way, but just want to be sure!
Old 16-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyk
Cheers Stu,

Do you were them at night as well and just take them out for a whole day before starting again. I know your post is worded that way, but just want to be sure!
Yes mate, sleep in them too for teh month then remove for 24hrs to allow some air to your eyes is teh recomended procedure.

I ahve actually worn mine for over 2 montsh on more than a couple of occasions when i have clean forgotten to take them out.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 16-04-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 16-04-2009, 03:49 PM
wrx-maniac-22
Part of the Furniture

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
are you going all the way to america to have it?

i would not want to spend that much on something that has the risks and is not permanent. i don't find glasses and contact lenses that much of a hassle.
Nope not going to America,just cant spell! I am prepared to take the risk as i do find the contacts and glasses a big hassle each to their own n all that,
Old 16-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Farmer Giles
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use Specsavers monthly lenses but I take them out every night. Ł15 per month including all lens check ups and a few spare sets if you lose or damage them. Normal eye tests are not included but they are only Bi-annual and your company should pay for it if you need them for work.

I started off with the daily ones as I did not want to be messing about with cleaning and stuff but there were limited prescription options on them at the time (2 or 3 years ago now) so they could only get a best match to what I needed and I did not really get on with them. Since I changed to monthly ones I've had no problems and the whole cleaning thing is just one more part of the daily routine now.

I suppose a few years of lenses would add up to the cost of laser surgery but I think I would rather pay Ł15 a month rather than risk losing my sight in some way..

HTH
Old 16-04-2009, 05:10 PM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've worn contact lenses for the last 12 years, in my experience the daily disposables are by far the best. No cleaning solutions, containers, effort required, simply open up a packet and pop the lenses into your eyes.

What i found with monthly lenses was that at first they were great but as the month wore on,they became more and more uncomfortable, not hugely uncomfortable but a bit gritty, all i can think is that they became scratched/damaged over the course of the month as they were being cleaned and rinsed before and after every fitment.

I use specsavers daily lenses and i think theyre around Ł15 for the month, my prescription is -3.5 in both eyes. That price includes them being delivered to your house too, you dont need to be in either as they come through the letterbox.
Old 16-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Fudgey
Baby Cheesus

Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

i have also been weraing lenses for at least 12 years now, but i found the daily ones never fitted right. to me they always seemed to move around a lot, and i could very easily blink etc and they would come out, or if you rubbed your eye etc.

they are more comforatble as they are thinner, but to me i could just never get on with them.

as for laser surgery, i kow a few people that have had it done and yes they rave on at how good it is, but i never wear specs anymore, only lenses and for Ł20 a month, it will take 20 years before the cost is matched, and they only say your eyes will be good for about 10 years lol after surgery.

ill stick to the tried and tested silicon methinks
Old 16-04-2009, 10:49 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

The thought of laser surgery scares the shit out of me
Old 16-04-2009, 11:28 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Originally Posted by Red16
I've worn contact lenses for the last 12 years, in my experience the daily disposables are by far the best. No cleaning solutions, containers, effort required, simply open up a packet and pop the lenses into your eyes.

What i found with monthly lenses was that at first they were great but as the month wore on,they became more and more uncomfortable, not hugely uncomfortable but a bit gritty, all i can think is that they became scratched/damaged over the course of the month as they were being cleaned and rinsed before and after every fitment.

I use specsavers daily lenses and i think theyre around Ł15 for the month, my prescription is -3.5 in both eyes. That price includes them being delivered to your house too, you dont need to be in either as they come through the letterbox.
Ooooh Red you're as blind as I am!
Old 17-04-2009, 07:21 AM
wirralphil
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I've been using Acuvue Advance for Astigmastism for the past 18 months, my prescription is -5.50 for the left and -6.00 for the right.

These are on a fortnightly change but can be used longer if wanted (had 1 pair for 2 months and still fitted/worked properly) They cost me Ł80 for 3 months (6 pairs) and i wear them for 14-16hrs a day.

When my optician told me about them he said that due to them having more water in they can be used for a longer time but changed more regular as opposed to the other Acuvue i had.

If cleaned proplerly 15/30 day contacts have just a good of fit as daily's.

ALSO.. for people not knowing what Astigmatism it is when the eye ball is for example a rugby ball shape instead of a football shape.

Last edited by wirralphil; 17-04-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 17-04-2009, 07:29 AM
Red16
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by XRdodgybird
Ooooh Red you're as blind as I am!
Unlucky
Old 22-04-2009, 09:02 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Update,

Guys went down to Specsavers to get the contacts last week and got the trial set ordered up. They wouldnt allow me the continuous ones until I get used to inserting and removing them. I went dow on Tuesday and tried the trial set and after a bit of messing about managed to get them in. They worked great but I couldnt get them out myself, I can get them in ok, but not out. They wouldnt order me the full course until I can get them in and out myself. I have seen this advertised, has anybody ever used it or something of a similar type as it looks a lot easier. Thanks

http://www.lenscatalogue.co.uk/da.asp?ID=45

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fILY8...rom=PL&index=1
Old 22-04-2009, 09:06 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to get a bunch of daily disposables and have a practice. It becomes second nature pretty quickly.

I use Focus Dailies and they're ace. Pop them in in the morning, throw them in the bin at night and no aggro with cleaning fluid, and no worries if one pops out during the day (which can happen if you rub your eyes).
Old 22-04-2009, 09:11 PM
xr_craig
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I couldn't do it at first either mate, but you soon get used to it
Old 22-04-2009, 09:19 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Guys, I know what your saying and I would get used to it, but they wont order them for me unless I can do it in the shop in front of them!
Old 22-04-2009, 09:31 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

tell them to shove it up their arse and order them from the 'net if you're confident of being able to do it without damaging your eyes, which is basically what they are tring to protect you from
Old 22-04-2009, 09:32 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Get your prescription then buy them online! Works out a load cheaper. Make sure you go back for eye checks though!