General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

My 11 year old son riding pillion on a Hayabusa!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:39 PM
nickywarwick
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to ride pillon with my dad since i was 7yrs old, & i must say we didnt ride slow. my dad had alot of respect around this area as being a very fast very safe biker. i can honestly say we ride well over 100mph on country roads & have been 176mph around the nw200 road circuit in ireland, actualy over taking some of the racers from the race when they were viewing the track including 1 rian farqua who now is a top rider in the nw200 & iom tt. used to have the knee down were posible nd all etc.

basicaly my point is, if you trust the rider of the rider of the bike with your sons life then i wouldnt wory about it.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:42 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers Nicky That's just what I wanted to read
Old 08-04-2009, 08:50 PM
nickywarwick
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

sorry was ust mentioning my story, my grandad also was the same & i used t ride pillion with

Last edited by nickywarwick; 08-04-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Old 31-07-2009, 08:56 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Well, resurrected this thread as Kai's been out today with his Granda, he's been out all day to the bikers places and he proudly announced that he's done his first 100mph.

In his words.... "Mam it was awesome, Granda was proper riding mint and I did my first 100mph"

I asked him what it felt like and he said "better than going fast in a car and it didn't even feel like we were going that fast"

Oh well ho hum!! A 12 year old going ape shit on a hayabusa with his granda!!
Old 31-07-2009, 09:01 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

now that isnt a good thing i was with grandad up untill the 100 mph bit
Old 31-07-2009, 09:04 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Claire, not read the who thread other than your fist post and the last post. Bit it sounds to me like there needs to be a balance.

On the one hand he seems to be buzzed about bikes, and Grandad seems to be happy to encourage him.

But, on the other hand we all know how badly things result if things go wrong.

The only real solution is to have those that are responsible for him being on those bikes are made to realise they need to limit what they are doing as I am sure living with the consequences or what could happen would haunt them forever.

A case of, fine for you to be having fun, but keep a sensible head on.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:11 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

It's the sat at a traffic light and a car goes up the bikes arse which I'd be worried about but I am no bike expert so could be talking rubbish... I can see why you are worried, my Sister is 18 and I take her places instead of boys picking her up and that is in a car! I'd put a stop to it before you wish you'd put a stop to it.

Benni.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:13 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

I have not control over what his grandad does, this was the whole point of my first post!!

Kai is really into his bikes, he rides his mini moto down Warden Law on a Monday night and he loves it. My point is and always as been, he's 12 years old. I know for sure that his granda wouldn't put him at risk but after today FFS 100mph.

Thing is though Kai loved it, he came back in buzzing. Am I over reacting?
Old 31-07-2009, 09:15 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

id say doing 100 with a 12 year old on the back is showing he's more than willing to put him at risk.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Less.
having a mid life crisis

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

No your just being a normal concerned mother Claire,I would be more worried if you didnt give two fucks like a lot of mums now days.maybe a quiet word with has grandpa
Old 31-07-2009, 09:22 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

My son is 12, 13 in October, and I wouldnt be at any way pleased if he'd been on the back of a bike, more than the 30mph round the streets.
Old 31-07-2009, 09:24 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Less.
No your just being a normal concerned mother Claire,I would be more worried if you didnt give two fucks like a lot of mums now days.maybe a quiet word with has grandpa
Thing is Less, I've already talked to his granda about this, actually it wasn't long after I posted this thread.

He promised me that he was only going to take it easy with him on the bike!!

I'm shocked to be honest, I've just quizzed Kai about it and he's full of what his granda did!!

I'm going to have to speak to his granda, again!!
Old 31-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Whats "Granda"?
Old 31-07-2009, 09:28 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Stu.H
Whats "Granda"?
His Granda his Dads dad, or in this case his dads step dad!!
Old 31-07-2009, 09:47 PM
JamesH
10K+ Poster!!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

EDIT: Read the last few posts LOL

Not so good at a ton, I'd probs say to him I'd be happy with him sticking to speed limits, he can give the boy a thrill by accelerating upto the speed limits quickly!!

Last edited by JamesH; 31-07-2009 at 09:50 PM.
Old 31-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

100mph on a motorway is absolutly nothing you can be there and back down to 70 in a matter of seconds on a bike safely, think about it logically he was probably sat at 80 mph on the motorway and gave it the slightest of throttle in 6th and then rolled off back to 70. Now if he was giving it billy big balls from a standing start flat out its a different story imo
Old 31-07-2009, 10:10 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Less.
Agree, to me you are not over reacting at all hun, i'm not a parent as you know, but I defo would not be happy at my 12 year old kid to be on the back of a bike doing 100mph!
Old 31-07-2009, 10:12 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Really though is 100mph actually that fast ? If he had come home and said gramps had whoped out a 150 then fair play a little excessive lol
Old 31-07-2009, 10:14 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Alps Pacino
100mph on a motorway is absolutly nothing you can be there and back down to 70 in a matter of seconds on a bike safely, think about it logically he was probably sat at 80 mph on the motorway and gave it the slightest of throttle in 6th and then rolled off back to 70. Now if he was giving it billy big balls from a standing start flat out its a different story imo
Really though is 100mph actually that fast ? If he had come home and said gramps had whoped out a 150 then fair play a little excessive lol
Really? So I am just being an overprotective mother then??
Old 31-07-2009, 10:17 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I didnt say that and tbh i cant comment as i dont know all the facts, if he was sat at 80 on the motorway and gave it a little bit of gentle throttle then i cant see a problem, if he was rocking on down the helmsley road at 100 then ye its a silly thing to do and i'd be kicking off

He might have lied to your son just to make him feel good and was atually only doing 80 ?

Last edited by Alps Pacino; 31-07-2009 at 10:18 PM.
Old 31-07-2009, 10:25 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt say that and tbh i cant comment as i dont know all the facts, if he was sat at 80 on the motorway and gave it a little bit of gentle throttle then i cant see a problem, if he was rocking on down the helmsley road at 100 then ye its a silly thing to do and i'd be kicking off

He might have lied to your son just to make him feel good and was atually only doing 80 ?
can quite beleive that, little boy beaming at the thought of going 100 on a motorbike telling all his mates at school,

was probably not 100 though as you say

realy isnt that quick on a bike though, the wind noise or surrounding dont seem to change for me from 30mph to silly speeds tbh, if theres nothing on the road youd never know what speeds were being done, certainly isnt scary if you know and trust the rider imo

aslong as theres a way to tell him to slow down or if theres a problem, ie, i give me dad a tap on the shoulder and hell pull over when he can, certainly makes you feel better and maybe this is something you could speak to both of them about to put your mind at rest a little!?

just my thoughts
Old 31-07-2009, 10:25 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Serioulsy mate he wasn't telling untruths!!

See the problem I have is that I have a budding Valentino Rossi at home and I want to be the best mum in the world without putting him in danger too!!

I know that's irish but how did all the other great riders start!!

I love my son more than anything in the world ever, how do I encourage him without encouraging him into danger??
Old 31-07-2009, 10:28 PM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

Yip i took my 8 year old out on my R1 last weekend over to his grans and i could not get him off the bike....we have 2 belts one goes round me and another round him and they clip together and i have another belt that clips round me with 2 propper handles for him to keep hold of......he loves bike and also has a kx60 of his own....
Old 31-07-2009, 10:30 PM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

I agree with alps though 100mph on a bike is nothing just tickleing it in 6th gear in straight like but 100 on twistys is another story..
Old 31-07-2009, 10:36 PM
1.9 xr2 on 40's
st170 breaking

i read half the 1st page, heres mine
i have a fireblade and ive taken the kids (generally 4-7) around my garden or down teh drive and into next doors and they love it, not dangerous but i expect if they were a little older they would make a big fuss about just that little ride

i wouldnt take a long un further if they didnt know about the holding on factor, if you kid ride and knows then i would take them further

some people can be trusted, some cant, i wouldnt trust me but then i know im a loon alone or with mates who want me to be and safe as houses if the passenger requires

i take the kids all round on the quads, usually on 2 wheels, they love it but its pretty safe, my missus moans a bit but dont they all

if you need to put a stop to it then mention it but dont go nuts, if he wants he will still take the kid on the back but he will tell him to keep stum or it wont happen again- i would, you cant make him safer that wearing all the gear too, sounds fair to me

i used to go on the back of bikes at 11 with my uncle, was good fun and he was safe
Old 31-07-2009, 10:50 PM
BigErn
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im with Alps and Lawns on the 100mph thing Claire
Old 31-07-2009, 10:59 PM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

If i found out my lad had been on the back of a motorbike - no matter who was riding, without someone atleast mentioning it, i would have words.

I wouldn't go in guns blazing as that would just cause instant hostility and it probably wouldn't resolve anything. ( i don't see the point in arguing though so maybe that's why ) If you express your concerns to the 'dad' in a reasonable manor, he's more likely to acknowledge & respect it.

That is my opinion of the matter.
Old 31-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by **Claire**
Serioulsy mate he wasn't telling untruths!!

See the problem I have is that I have a budding Valentino Rossi at home and I want to be the best mum in the world without putting him in danger too!!

I know that's irish but how did all the other great riders start!!

I love my son more than anything in the world ever, how do I encourage him without encouraging him into danger??
Every biker out there has a mum that worries about there sons/daughters even if there 40-50 year olds. My mother hates me having a bike but she never tells me cause she can see hw much enjoyment i get out of it.

#Another question that nobody has asked is does he have all the gear or is he taing him out with normally clothes and a lid?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:39 AM
jpfour
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

just my 2 pennys worth but it would seem to me that 'Granda' has built up his riding with kai over the last 3 months to a point at which he (and kai i hope) are comfortable to push the boundaries a little....

as has previously been said by a few other members the 100 mph thing is totaly situation dependant on an empty straight road briefly its perfectly safe imo albeit illegal (bet you don't cruise that much slower on the motorway?) but if it was in traffic on single carriageway or on twisty bits then its not looking so clever

i really cant see ANYONE being reckless with a young child on the back especialy if they are related and have a 'just be careful' ringing in their ears

and i may be a little old before my time but was once told:

'the worst phone call i could ever get is the one saying do you know where your child is and what he's been doing?And having to answer NO to both'

better to know where he is, what he is doing and to make it as safe as possible, correct gear and a quick reminder to Granda just how precious his passenger is than to know nothing at all

anyways hope that helps

Old 01-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Sorry but i still say doing that speed with a teenager on the back is risky. I don't know how people could actually drive/ride that fast with someone so young with them. If i hav Sinead and her kids in the car with me i'm in no way going to be speeding. You can be the best driver/rider in the world, its other idiotic people on the road that you need to worry about.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:19 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Pardeep
Sorry but i still say doing that speed with a teenager on the back is risky. I don't know how people could actually drive/ride that fast with someone so young with them. If i hav Sinead and her kids in the car with me i'm in no way going to be speeding. You can be the best driver/rider in the world, its other idiotic people on the road that you need to worry about.
Sometimes its safer to be moving at the same speed as the other traffic or slightly faster on a bike than it is to be going slower especialy at night when you would probably get plowed into from behind.

You ever rode a bike?
Old 01-08-2009, 01:23 AM
Pardeep
PF's Guitar God!!!

Sometimes its safer to be moving at the same speed as the other traffic or slightly faster on a bike than it is to be going slower especialy at night when you would probably get plowed into from behind.

You ever rode a bike?
Got a Bike License but haven't rode for a year and a half. Seen to many accidents that friends have been in and don't want to risk myself. Life is going sweetly.
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 AM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

It might not seem that fast...... but I don't think I'd want to witness the effects of the sort of trauma a 12 year old's body would suffer if, God forbid, anything happened and they either hit something or came off the bike.

I don't think you are being over-protective Claire, to be honest, I think I would be out of my mind with worry.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:03 AM
fez2i16v
Regular Contributor

id definatly have a couple of words especially hitting 100 but any man who has a hyabusa can really ride a bike but i suppose 100 with an experienced rider with all the leathers is a lot better than jumping on the back of a 14 - 15 year olds crosser on the back field with no helmet on
Old 01-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Fast Guy
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone pointed this out yet?

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/late...mph.5030763.jp

Same thing imo. Speed is alittle higher, but the consequences could still be the same in an accident.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 AM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Every biker out there has a mum that worries about there sons/daughters even if there 40-50 year olds. My mother hates me having a bike but she never tells me cause she can see hw much enjoyment i get out of it.

#Another question that nobody has asked is does he have all the gear or is he taing him out with normally clothes and a lid?
He's got all the gear, he has to when he goes to race at mini motos, here he is....

I spoke to his granda and he assured me that it was on a stretch of straight road and there was no other traffic around. I still don't like it as I know the consequences of what may happen if he came off but I also know his granda wouldn't put him in danger on purpose. So I have to trust him, if I put a stop to it and put my foot down then I'll be the bad mother in Kai's eyes and that's the last thing I want.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Mk1-stu
Patronus

Claire, there's a MASSIVE difference between being a bad mother & a responsible one. If you trust his gramps, then it's your call. I'd still be concerned about the speeds though.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:28 AM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

Claire
I agree with my hubby and Alps as i took John's R1 out the other night and was doing 100mph before i knew it and it didn't even feel that fast tbh. Kai is obviously very sensible where bikes are concerened and knows how to be a good pillion passenger. 100mph on a bike like a hayabusa is absolutely nothing.
Did they get Kai the 'love handle' strap for him to hold onto his granda... when John and me went out last weekdend i used them and i felt loads safer on the back of john

Fi
Old 01-08-2009, 10:32 AM
Alps Pacino
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Every mother worries and will never stop worrying, wait till he gets his first bike and is coming home telling you he has just got his knee down on the road for the first time or he has just pulled his first wheelie lol

Quick Reply: My 11 year old son riding pillion on a Hayabusa!!