General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

My 11 year old son riding pillion on a Hayabusa!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 AM
mark
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he will be ok my boys been going out on his uncles cbr for years
he dont go mad with him on the back but he did shit me up a few times lol
my boys 10 now think he was 7 first time he qwent out on it
Old 08-04-2009, 02:38 AM
cutch
Series 1 4x4 cossie

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I used to ride on my dads when i was 11, as far as the law goes its legal as long as the kid can hold on by themselves and can put their feet on the pegs.

I race bikes but dont know if my son would ever get on mine, i would love to share the experience of something i love with him but i honestly dont know if i could put him in that kind of danger?????
Old 08-04-2009, 07:10 AM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

well I totally disagree with it, he's 11 not 15 and there's no chance he'll be getting a bike till he's legally allowed one but hey since when did my opinion matter i'm only the wicked step father that will have to pick up the pieces when he falls off the back and smashes his neck! Kai is that skinny that he sprains his ankles walking and he's accident prone. One blast of the throttle at the wrong time and he's off the back GUARANTEED!!!!

His fuckin dad is a numpty and forgets how young HIS son is regardless of how big he is and forgets to realise that he has no parental responsibilty and I'm Kai's legal guardian so if Claire doesn't have a word then I will!!!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:29 AM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i understand your concern mate but lads are lads and growing up round you and clare for a start will make him want any thing with an engine

imagine how he sees things

bikes are fun mam and step dad wont let me have one but i still like them and want to ride them

then the rebelion kicks in and he thinks what you know wont hurt you

where i come from loads of our mates had bikes as kids iv been riding since i was 3 years old so i got experiance of bikes and allot of respect for them so its different for me
but as we got to 15 16 allot of the lads that hadnt been brought up to see them for what they are started to get there hands on them ,and allot got hurt cos they just saw them as a toy and not dangerous at all

one of my younger brothers best friends died 4 years ago at the age of 17 on a kids bike cos he hit a parked car on the road face first

the one thing that scares the shit out of me is inproper use of bike the main on is small kids type bikes used round streets ,there not tall enough to be seen by drivers

but as for him being on the back of a bike on the road then as far as im concerned thats a no go i wont take any one on the back of a bike with me cos if it went wrong i couldnt live with knowing it was my fault
Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by **Claire**
I'm sure they went on the open road around where they live.
That's a BIG no-no in my book.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:49 AM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

Personally I wouldn't agree with going on a long ride out, but I'd have no qualms about going aout for half an hour or so, so long as it wasn't motorways etc.
I used to get taken to primary school on the back of a GS550 from the age of about 7 and it taught me to respect bikes.
If the Busa rider is a RESPONSIBLE adult and rider then your lad will be ok, but raise your concerns to him tactfully, no point starting ww3 because it will only affect the lad in the end.
(My estranged Mum wasn't too chuffed about me going on the back when I was a kid btw, and all she did was kick off and it made everyone around feel like shit and created an atmosphere)
Old 08-04-2009, 08:11 AM
carlo
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

Defo not i have been hurted pillion and it it was very serious and very hard to cope with at 18 at the time never mind being so young. If i was kai's age i would have missed nearly 3 years of school with my injurys ect so looking at it that way i dont agree one bit. Just my opinion
Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 AM
wayne thomas
Regular Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have thought "please be careful with Kai on the bike" would bear more fruit than hysterical wailing(Claire) or direct pressure(Escyscott), remembering of course that Kai will not see this a decision in his best interest.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:35 AM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

I dont think i would be too happy about it..... John used to take Bailey round the block on his R1 when he was only 5 but we had proper straps that strapped Bailey to John. I Only let him go on the back of his dad though, i certainly wont be letting him on the back of anyone else. I ride bikes aswell but like mentioned earlier i would never have a pillion passenger as if anything happened i wouldn't be able to live with myself. I'm sure Kai's granda will be super careful with him on the back but no matter how good of a rider that person is there is always the possibility that it will be someone else's fault like a car that doesn't see them etc...
My boys (Bailey 8 and Kai 5) both have crossers and are very good at riding them so i'm dreading when they get a bit older and are wanting bigger bikes but at least when it gets to that stage they will be fully aware of the dangers (i hope)..
Its sooooo not easy being a mum is it... If you stop him your all the bad ones and if you let him and anything happens you'll never forgive yourself. Good luck claire but i think the way forward is to tell his Granda that you would rather he just stuck to his crosser for now untill he gets a bit older

Fi
Old 08-04-2009, 10:06 AM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Thanks for all your replies. It isn't my intention to start WW3 or go in wailing hysterically, I was looking for an informed opinion on what people thought about an 11 year old riding pillion.

See this is where my dilema is, I know for a FACT that if I could take Kai out with me on track he'd be sat next to me in every session. Every time we go to a track day he's itching to get in the car but he can't till he's 16. I'd be comfortable taking him out as I know that I'm a 'safe' driver.

I have no experience of motor bikes other than being a pillion once and I think that may have clouded my judgement because I hated it. I found out from Kai that his granda took him from near to where we live to Blaydon which is about a 20min journey, so yes he was on the main roads. I've asked him if his granda went fast and he said 'well yes, it felt fast' now I'm not silly I know that feeling fast and being fast are two different things, especially on a motor bike.

I'm trying to put myself in both Kai's position and his grandas. If I could ride a motor bike would I take him out with me knowing that he was all kitted out and that I wouldn't go daft with him. In all honest I probably would. I don't want to spoil Kai's fun and be the killjoy. The last thing I want is for it to be done behind my back and then for something to happen when I didn't know about it. In some ways I wish that they had rung me first and asked my opinion BEFORE they took him out, that way I could have talked to him about it then.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:15 AM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

Claire, if you do decide to let him go on it again why dont you see about getting one of the harnesses i was talking about where it straps the pillion to the rider??????

Fi
Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Where do you get those from?
Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 AM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

We got it from one of the shops up Westgate Road but i'm sure if you search on ebay or summit you'll find them, i think they called a pillion harness
Old 08-04-2009, 11:00 AM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

Seems they've changed the style since we bought ours and now its a strap that goes round the rider with handles on still i suppose its easier to hold these than the person
Old 08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Daveysaff
Skint Passionford User

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...pcode=MTXMLH01

Love handles
Old 08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
jammerrs
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

no feeling fast is completely different to going fast, you always feel your going fast because of the wnd noise on the back of the bike.

i would just ask his dad politely to go slower as he is on the back, its what my mum did when i started going on the back of my dads bike.

he is not going to get hurt as they are safe and just feel fast,
Old 08-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Rs1
Advanced PassionFord User

Motoring is dangerous, all you can do is to make it as safe as possible without taking it away from the lad. We all know what happens when were told we can't/aren't allowed to do something......he'll find his way onto a bike somehow, he's getting close to "that" age.
I would definatly have a word with the dad and grandad, if nothing else just to let them be aware of how you feel about it.
If Kai is a fairly sensible kid that is mature enough to understand i would even let him know how you feel. I'm certain he wont want to worry you more than.....well more than kids do generally but if he is kept in the loop then atleast he'll be more likly to be open with you about what exactly was going on when he was on the bike.......maybe, i dont know, i'm not a parent,lol.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:52 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Do you think I'm being too overprotective?
There's no way I'd let my kids go on the back of a motorbike - So what if it's overprotective, that's your job
Old 08-04-2009, 04:58 PM
ESCYSCOTT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

i rest my case
Old 08-04-2009, 06:14 PM
bigal1978
PassionFord Post Troll

well ill go agaist the grain
my oldest has been pillion since 7 years old
my youngest has only ever been up the road and back
my eldest is now ten 11 in june has been driving cars since he was 8 , banger racing for the last year
they both have crossers and ride off acroos field when they want had mini motos for years and quads when they were 3

the only time they have been hurt is on there push bikes youngest was knock of by a car and both hurt them selfs daily on bmxs lol

i never ever brake the speed lint and ride sooooooo careful when hes on

Last edited by bigal1978; 08-04-2009 at 06:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:40 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Theres definitely a mixture of views and opinions. All of you have made valid points and I must say that I've 'mellowed' a little to the idea. Next step really is to speak to his dad and granda. I know their reaction will be to tell me he'll be OK and he's safe but I need them to understand my concerns.

Perhaps I can suggest that he only takes him out for a few short rides until Kai gets used to riding pillion and he feels more confidfent on the back
Old 08-04-2009, 06:45 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

You need to find a happy compromise on this one. The last thing you need is a rift between Scott and Kai.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:45 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i think the point is to make them responsable and to make an informed decision but the problem with a small kid on the back of a big bike for me is the how much grip will the kid have if the bike accelerates hard as that would be the one thing id expect to happen
for me if a kid is into bikes he should be on a feild or a proper place with the right gear and a suitable bike

and all this from some one who likes to do stupid things on bikes lol
Old 08-04-2009, 06:47 PM
R1.Andy
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

i can understand how u feel about it..its a worry 4 sure..i had a big off years ago and i could see the upset in my ma and pa's face while i was all tractioned up in hospital..
i ride a yamaha R1 and i dread the day my 8 yr old ask to go on the back..but that day will come and he will get his wish..i think you need to share your fears with the adult and the dangers..but let it happen your lad will be so happy noing its ok..
if he gets scared he wont want to do it again

o and the law states they must be able to reach the footpegs..thats all..holding on must be hard for a kid but they sell somin called love handles you wear it round your waist and it has to handles for the passenger to hold onto

Last edited by R1.Andy; 08-04-2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:54 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by -MAL-
You need to find a happy compromise on this one. The last thing you need is a rift between Scott and Kai.
Definitely agree with you there

Kai wouldn't understand an outright 'No your not doing it'. He's at an age now where we're getting very near Kevin and Perry stage so we need to tread carefully. I don't want to be the hard nosed parent who just says no all the time but I'm not going to give him free reign!! If he's going to do it then there has to be some boundarys which everyone agrees to
Old 08-04-2009, 06:57 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by R1.Andy
o and the law states they must be able to reach the footpegs..thats all..holding on must be hard for a kid but they sell somin called love handles you wear it round your waist and it has to handles for the passenger to hold onto
Yeah someone posted a link to them above, I'll ask his granda to buy some for him. His grand is a big fella, even when I was on the back I couldn't get my arms round him so it will be difficult for Kai to.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM
jacko
PassionFord Post Whore!!

gaffa tape the little one to his back and all is good
Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by jacko
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM
R1.Andy
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by jacko
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Definitely agree with you there

Kai wouldn't understand an outright 'No your not doing it'. He's at an age now where we're getting very near Kevin and Perry stage so we need to tread carefully. I don't want to be the hard nosed parent who just says no all the time but I'm not going to give him free reign!! If he's going to do it then there has to be some boundarys which everyone agrees to

Spot on.

Your first job is to work on the hot-headed one.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by -MAL-
Spot on.

Your first job is to work on the hot-headed one.
Yep, I hear ya
Old 08-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Cossie Helen
10K+ Poster!!

Theres definitely a mixture of views and opinions. All of you have made valid points and I must say that I've 'mellowed' a little to the idea. Next step really is to speak to his dad and granda. I know their reaction will be to tell me he'll be OK and he's safe but I need them to understand my concerns.

Perhaps I can suggest that he only takes him out for a few short rides until Kai gets used to riding pillion and he feels more confidfent on the back

See both your's and Scott's concerns hun, if I was a mum my kid would not be getting on the back of a bike, I remember years ago my younger cousin turned up and a cruise with some boy in his car, I went mental with her, poor girl had done nothing wrong, just me being the overprotective older cousin

Hope you can speak to Kai's dad and grandad and come to a agreement about it.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

It's the potential for a severe accident that would put me off. Even if it's the best biker in the world there are people on the roads who don't deserve a driving licence, and could easily smack into them. In a car you've at least got some metal around you.

At that age I would simply not let my child go on the back of a motorbike. When they're old enough to drive, they can make their own decision.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

I hear you Dan but the thing is if I lay the law down and say 'No your not' then he'll end up resenting me and Scott.

I need to find a compromise, although his dad doesn't have parental responsibility I dare say that if I said point blank no Kai can't ride pillion then he'd still let Kai do it and just tell him to keep quiet. That isn't a situation I want to be faced with.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:32 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Just to add if he's going to do it I'd rather I had a say in it and was fully aware of what was going on rather than being kept in the dark and lied to
Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Just to add if he's going to do it I'd rather I had a say in it and was fully aware of what was going on rather than being kept in the dark and lied to
Can totally understand the situation you're in - I didn't mean to come across as 'preachy'. Sorry!
Old 08-04-2009, 07:38 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
It's the potential for a severe accident that would put me off. Even if it's the best biker in the world there are people on the roads who don't deserve a driving licence, and could easily smack into them. In a car you've at least got some metal around you.

At that age I would simply not let my child go on the back of a motorbike. When they're old enough to drive, they can make their own decision.
I agree there is a risk but its safer than being allowed out on his pushbike on the roads I reckon.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 PM
**Claire**
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Can totally understand the situation you're in - I didn't mean to come across as 'preachy'. Sorry!

No need to apologies I didn't take your comments in that context at all

I appreciate where your coming from and if Kai was with me 100% of the time and I had total control over what he does etc then I'd most likely try and do things exactly as you have said. However, I don't have that luxury unfortunately.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Maria.
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been on the back of bikes since i was about 7 years old.

I think as longer as the rider is aware, and maybe goes down quieter roads, and at a steady pace, and Kai is briefed on what he must do if he feels uncomfortable at any point, then all is well.

Like you say claire, if you downright say no... it'll either happen without you knowing about it, or kai will start to rebel!
Old 08-04-2009, 08:02 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Originally Posted by Chip
I agree there is a risk but its safer than being allowed out on his pushbike on the roads I reckon.
Yup agree, but I wouldn't allow that at that age either! I regularly take my kids on their bikes, but we all go together on the cycle paths. Luckily we've got miles of converted old railway lines nearby.

Where I live (very narrow country lanes) I'm reluctant to even go out on my bike, let alone let allow the kids!

Quick Reply: My 11 year old son riding pillion on a Hayabusa!!