General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

washing/dryer machine...buying advice required!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:29 PM
RobCarden
358bhp

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default washing/dryer machine...buying advice required!

Hi all...

i need a washing machine for my new place... just for me... no family loads or anything...

i ve got a the plumbing for one but no air brick/ air outlet... so does that stop me getting a combi washer/dryer? ir can you get some that recycle the hot air or something? its in a utility room so not to worried about all the hot air in the room... its opposit the back door...

if i can t get a combi washer dryer what should i look for in a washing machine? they seem to go from £200ish upwards...

don't think i need a falsh bastard but a silver one would be nice

cheers
Old 02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have an AEG Washer/Drier, it is fantastic generally, but the Drier on a Washer/Drier combo is never as good as a separate one. It takes 20-30 mins to dry something that would have taken 10 mins otherwise. Although we only use it for softening.

It runs a small amount of water through the system to clear the dust etc, so doesn't need an air outlet. We just have it connected to water and waste, thats it.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
James
PassionFord Post Whore!!

i've had a combi hotpoint and it was rubbish. had the enginneer out more times than i can remember. this was five years ago so maybe they've improved?

now got 2 seperate units and the drier is a condensing one so just have to remove the bottle in the top and empty the water out!
Old 02-04-2009, 06:59 PM
tabetha
20K+ Super Poster.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a £500 BOSCH washer dryer, but as christian says they do take a long time to dry things, think the water they add is to stop creases on drying cycle.
Only thing I would add is get a extended warranty, we had the man out as it packed up 3 days after bosch warranty ran out but they still honoured it no problem, but we got extra 5 years extended for £85.
Excellent so quite and easy to use.
tabetha
Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Turbosystems
Super Moderator

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

mum washers work well
Old 02-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Mark V8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 166 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by James
i've had a combi hotpoint and it was rubbish. had the enginneer out more times than i can remember. this was five years ago so maybe they've improved?

now got 2 seperate units and the drier is a condensing one so just have to remove the bottle in the top and empty the water out!
We have a new Hotpoint washer/dryer, it condenses the water and pumps it out of the waste. If you are used to a real vented tumble dryer you will be dissapointed
My Mrs hates the thing so much that the dryer does not get used.

Mark
Old 02-04-2009, 08:16 PM
B16 Will
its all about the 5 pot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got one of those indecit moon things and a seperate condencer drier. I dont know the benefits of having a combi one, but at least i can, i mean the missus can have a wash on while the first load is in the drier
Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 PM
RONNIE AMIS
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you need a washer/dryer? if you have space buy two seperates, as everyone's said they dont wash as well and they certainly dont dry as well,
Old 02-04-2009, 11:18 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i work for hotpoint so can give the best advise!dont fookin get one
washer dryers wash just as good as a washer nower days, but the drying side is still not as good as a separate dryer, never will be!you dont need to vent them as they condense it into water and pumps it out!
I got a washer dryer for sale if u want one tho
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM
RobCarden
358bhp

Originally Posted by Turbosystems
mum washers work well
thats where its going at the moment.. not sure it'll last more than 6 months tho

Originally Posted by RONNIE AMIS
do you need a washer/dryer? if you have space buy two seperates, as everyone's said they dont wash as well and they certainly dont dry as well,
not 100% to be honest... i could dry it on a clothes horse in spare room by the radiator...

Originally Posted by V8 EsCos
We have a new Hotpoint washer/dryer, it condenses the water and pumps it out of the waste. If you are used to a real vented tumble dryer you will be dissapointed
My Mrs hates the thing so much that the dryer does not get used.

Mark
so no air outlet req then? bloke in comet told me that ALL washer dryers need an air outlet or air brick behind them! that lost them a sale!

Originally Posted by Christian and Beccy
We have an AEG Washer/Drier, it is fantastic generally, but the Drier on a Washer/Drier combo is never as good as a separate one. It takes 20-30 mins to dry something that would have taken 10 mins otherwise. Although we only use it for softening.

It runs a small amount of water through the system to clear the dust etc, so doesn't need an air outlet. We just have it connected to water and waste, thats it.
so as a bove.. no air outlet? excellent!

Originally Posted by orion_crazy_carl
i work for hotpoint so can give the best advise!dont fookin get one
washer dryers wash just as good as a washer nower days, but the drying side is still not as good as a separate dryer, never will be!you dont need to vent them as they condense it into water and pumps it out!
I got a washer dryer for sale if u want one tho
ok so recommend me one then around 300 ish would be good and in silver!

cheers for all the replies
Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 AM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We have a condenser dryer and seperate washing machine, the combi ones are ok, but are not as good as seperates, we have ours in the garage/utility room also.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We have this one.....

http://www.appliancebargains.co.uk/i...odid=l14700vit

It was a pricey little number, but we wanted high spec and integrated too. Even though in the 3 years or so that we've had it, we've still not had the unit door fitted to cover it up!

No air outlet needed at all. Literally, water supply in and normal waste supply out to the drain.

I have to say, I'm impressed with the AEG. It has about 2-3mm of clearance all round it to the the units, being integrated and even on 1400rpm spin, it doesn't move. I just imagined it thumping into the units, especially after it was a few years old, but not so far!

It has 5.5kg wash capacity, which is high for a washer/drier. You can get 8kg now in a separate washer, so some sacrifice there. You do need to consider load size in practical terms. Big bath towels and bedding can be restrictive. Not a big deal though, we don't really struggle with 5.5kg.