General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Dyno Dynamics rolling road, accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 30-03-2009, 11:46 AM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
gears could make a difference on big turbo cars as turbo may not quite make full boost in a lower gear as engine load is less.
Not if you can vary the resistance like on a set of rollers, to give it longer to spool up in the lower gears.
Old 30-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Chip

Originally Posted by Flux Capacitor.
Perhaps you should have added "FAO TUNERS ONLY" to the thread title.

This is a public forum in case you didnt realise..LOL
Id be interested in info from non tuners too if anyone had it, but they dont seem to, and the tuners who do, dont seem very forthcoming.

As Rob says, we'll just do it ourselves, no problem!
Old 30-03-2009, 11:49 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i don't see why christian couldn't just do a quick test and answer the question if he doesn't know the answer already from his extensive use and knowledge of his equipment?
Old 30-03-2009, 11:49 AM
scoooby slayer
10K+ Poster!!

Received 415 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Id be interested in info from non tuners too if anyone had it, but they dont seem to, and the tuners who do, dont seem very forthcoming.

As Rob says, we'll just do it ourselves, no problem!

will be interesting to see the results of this, some hard facts of what the difference actually is
Old 30-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Luca
Lukesville

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbd16v
chip this is simple

when we next go to jkm we will book for an hour and do 2 runs in 4th then 2 in 3rd and see if there is any difference
Rob, agreed, its like fucking pulling teeth on here to get info out of any of the tuners sometimes
Any questions or theories you want checking /answering JKM will be able to test and prove for you boys.

Now ring them up and book the runs, be great to see what its running now
Old 30-03-2009, 12:03 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by scoooby slayer
will be interesting to see the results of this, some hard facts of what the difference actually is

hold on a second

i said nothing about publishing the findings
Old 30-03-2009, 12:05 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i don't see why christian couldn't just do a quick test and answer the question if he doesn't know the answer already from his extensive use and knowledge of his equipment?
Its not "couldnt" its "wouldnt"
Old 30-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by sbd16v
hold on a second

i said nothing about publishing the findings

Indeed, secret squirrel FTW yo!
Old 30-03-2009, 12:16 PM
Ratty
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the runs on the Gooon have been done in 5th, when I questioned the operator about this I was told that it would make very little difference, maybe 5bhp lower compared with 4th gear

Intrested to see some back to back testing though

Last edited by Ratty; 30-03-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 30-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

I suspect that there will be a significant difference between runs.

Unfortunatly none of the tuners will admit this as it will lead to people questioning the accuracy of load cell dynos that measure coast down to give flywheel figures.

I stopped thinking DD RRs were much cop when their UK importer publicly stated in a mag that a load cell dyno is far more accurate than a inertia dyno.
Old 30-03-2009, 01:21 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Garage19
I suspect that there will be a significant difference between runs.

Unfortunatly none of the tuners will admit this as it will lead to people questioning the accuracy of load cell dynos that measure coast down to give flywheel figures.

I stopped thinking DD RRs were much cop when their UK importer publicly stated in a mag that a load cell dyno is far more accurate than a inertia dyno.
Id sooner trust an inertia dyno personally, but maybe that quote was presented out of context and he was referring to a DD setup specifically due to the number of corrections it can make, perfectly possible that what you read wasnt exactly as he meant it.
Old 30-03-2009, 01:26 PM
alistairolsen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

lmao at this thread!

"Is the sky blue or black?"

"I think the sea is purple"
Old 30-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Id sooner trust an inertia dyno personally, but maybe that quote was presented out of context and he was referring to a DD setup specifically due to the number of corrections it can make, perfectly possible that what you read wasnt exactly as he meant it.
Its the fact that you shouldn't need any corrections on an inertia dyno just Newtons Second Law that makes them accurate.

As long as you know the inertia of the drum and have accurate speed measurement of it f=ma does the rest.
Old 30-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Chip

Its the fact that you shouldn't need any corrections on an inertia dyno just Newtons Second Law that makes them accurate.
Thats not the case at all if aiming at a repeated DIN type measurement which takes into account pressure and temperature and attempts to allow for it.

Perfectly true in terms of "raw" data though.

As long as you know the inertia of the drum and have accurate speed measurement of it f=ma does the rest.
Well, almost, it wouldnt take account of friction in the drum bearings, but im sure that effect wont be massive.
Old 30-03-2009, 01:39 PM
pee vee
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The DD rollers seem massively inaccurate when not used properly..
(but i guess most RR would be)

Par exmplé :

friend has Williams clio (heavily modded)
was mapped on a Friday, and made over 240 bhp..

The very next day, the car was driven to another DD rolling road, and the car made
not much over 200 bhp

this car then went on to do a 13.2 second 1/4 mile at 105MPH about a week later
with no changes (no major suspension mods either)....

make of that what you will, but i think it'd take closer to 240 bhp to do a 13.2 1/4 mile than 200

* Edit. the lower figure was recorded with the RPM pick up not used, but done on wheel speed etc.. sounded like a cowboy method to me lol

Last edited by pee vee; 30-03-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 30-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Chip

Using wheel speed shouldnt effect the BHP, but will make a massive difference to what the torque figure is and where it appears if they get the calibration wrong.

I agree with you that 105mph sounds more like 240bhp to me BTW.
Old 30-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chip,
I would advise you ask the same question on the GTR Register as the Dyno Dynamics head honcho/importer guy frequents there
Old 30-03-2009, 02:55 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Kev83
Interesting thread. There are so many different factors that would need to be accounted for when going from rolling road to rolling road. But, at the typical power levels that joe blogs has on the street, i cant see a couple of degree's of ambient temprature making a whole lot difference to the eventually BHP result.

IMO, rolling road figures can be manipulated by the operator anyhow, and as somebody mentioned, they really do mean diddly squat other than maybe pub talk or a riugh guide to what level of tune your car is at. How the car drives on the road is what should really matter, or how it performs on track/strip.

Just my 10p's worth
So because I want to put my car on the rollers its all pub talk, get real man the one thing my car aint is pubtalk. Mark has replicated his Dyno figures within 1% on the rollers he uses & in one case left immediately for Brunters & ran a new Topspeed record hardly pub talk. They only mean diddly squat to someone who hides behind your statement & dont get out there & prove the Dyno & RR figures are correct Please dont tar me with your brush.
Old 30-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Cam
Chip,
I would advise you ask the same question on the GTR Register as the Dyno Dynamics head honcho/importer guy frequents there
I dont suppose you could PM him and ask him to view this thread?

I would imagine this board has a big enough readership to interest him commericially?
Old 30-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by MadRod
So because I want to put my car on the rollers its all pub talk, get real man the one thing my car aint is pubtalk. Mark has replicated his Dyno figures within 1% on the rollers he uses & in one case left immediately for Brunters & ran a new Topspeed record hardly pub talk. They only mean diddly squat to someone who hides behind your statement & dont get out there & prove the Dyno & RR figures are correct Please dont tar me with your brush.
Wow, what a massive over reaction, he wasnt talking about you specifically like you have taken it to mean.

He is just talking about cars in general where people bang on and on about BHP and never do anything with them, as you DO do something with yours, surely it should have been obvious to you that you therefore werent in the category of people he was talking about?
Old 30-03-2009, 03:46 PM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

Well i have always wondered about this as i put my saff on a RR up here....it runs grays and 34-36psi peak on the roads and when it went on the RR it was run in 3rd gear and i was really upset with the result as it struggled to make stage 3 power, But when i read the printout it only hit about 26ish psi not anywere near what it makes on the road.....

Ive always thought if it was run up in 4th would it of loaded the engine up more in turn gaining more boost and giving me a higher BHP figure......?

Ill try and find the printout.....

Not sure what kind of rolling road it was but im sure it was C&B old one so if anyone knows what kind that was....
Old 30-03-2009, 06:41 PM
cossie4i+
TT T38 Power

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Im going to book mine in to my local DD RR and see if the figures are the same as TOTD.

Not that bothered about exact figures more interested if it makes power above 5800 and dont flat line again.

Steve
Old 30-03-2009, 08:45 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

i agree that an inertia dyno is much easyer to get an accurate power figure from, as you say its simple physics! but if the mass isnt large enough to provide the load required to get to peak boost, what can you do about it?
Old 30-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Tim
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GARETH T
i agree that an inertia dyno is much easyer to get an accurate power figure from, as you say its simple physics! but if the mass isnt large enough to provide the load required to get to peak boost, what can you do about it?
run better boost control,so you always get full boost no matter what ?

Last edited by Tim; 30-03-2009 at 09:04 PM.
Old 30-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Christian and Beccy
#1 in Spelling Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim
run better boost control,so you always get full boost no matter what.
It's not actually that simple. You do need loading to allow the car to produce boost.

We run most cars in mode Shoot_4 which is actually intended for N/A, as opposed to Shoot-4F, which is the mode intended for Forced Induction. We have done ALOT of experimentation and we have found this to be the way that the car produces the closest boost curve to what it does on the road as the ramp-rate is slightly slower.

There is alot in the way the car is strapped down too. It is as others have said, a Dyno is only as good as the operator. That is in no way intended to be an attack on any other specific dyno operator, but I think we experiment more than most.

We can actually run Gary's Evo to within 4-5bhp in 2 separate sessions on different days, which, given the fact that we are talking about 650+bhp, is quite a close margin.
Old 30-03-2009, 11:59 PM
Chip

And what variation do you see when you run gary's car in 3rd gear versus 4th then mate?
Old 31-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by MadRod

Fancy a pint Rod?
Old 31-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I dont suppose you could PM him and ask him to view this thread?

I would imagine this board has a big enough readership to interest him commericially?
I'm banned for life from there after a minor disagreement with the admin over not being allowed to mention Keith Cowies achievements
Sad but true
Old 31-03-2009, 12:16 AM
Chip

They want people not to mention the fastest skyline in the country on a skyline forum?

You gotta be kidding!
Old 31-03-2009, 12:30 AM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

They want people not to mention the fastest skyline in the country on a skyline forum?

You gotta be kidding!
All Forum politics over Keiths breakaway forum and that I was a mod on there when Keith started it.
It wasnt exactly helped when a GTR Reg mod got a slap at TOTB (not by me I hasten to add..... I was beaten to it! )
I think they may have all kissed and made up but I still cant login.
Old 31-03-2009, 06:35 AM
Kev83
2.1 ZVH build underway...

Madrod, firstly my comment wasnt aimed at you in the slightest, for one i dont even know who you are, so chill mate. I was merely trying to put myy opionion accross that a lot of people find out there bhp level merely to boast down the pub to their mates. for a mucky old Ł5 i'll knock a rolling road graph up for someone on excel so they can boast to their mates that there saxo 1.1 forte is making 207bhp @ the wheels at 0.7bar of boost
Old 31-03-2009, 07:10 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

chip,i imagine the tuners dont want to come on to this thread because they are fed up with all the argueing that ends up between them all.

tbh sometimes i think the numbers we chase are bullshit. i was discussing this with my mate jay last night,we are sure we would be better off having a car that we know is fast on the road rather than knowing the figure is higher than someone elses, rod is right when he says it matters on the tarmac

so many different results on the rollers from different people that the only true answer is the cars side by side on the road
Old 31-03-2009, 07:37 AM
GaryEvo

bang on!!

i could do a run and post graphs but im sure someoe on here will find something i did wrong and ill never hear end of it.........

Originally Posted by Bullett
chip,i imagine the tuners dont want to come on to this thread because they are fed up with all the argueing that ends up between them all.

tbh sometimes i think the numbers we chase are bullshit. i was discussing this with my mate jay last night,we are sure we would be better off having a car that we know is fast on the road rather than knowing the figure is higher than someone elses, rod is right when he says it matters on the tarmac

so many different results on the rollers from different people that the only true answer is the cars side by side on the road
Old 31-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Bullett
10K+ Poster!!

exactly mate.it doesnt matter who you are or what you do someone will always have a problem
Old 31-03-2009, 07:42 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Will DD RRs give ATW readings?

It would be really interesting to see flywheel in 3rd and 4th and then ATW in 3rd and 4th.
Old 31-03-2009, 07:43 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Bullett
exactly mate.it doesnt matter who you are or what you do someone will always have a problem
Never question anything. Thats a great attitude. Suppose you would still be happy thinking the world was flat.
Old 31-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Chip

Will DD RRs give ATW readings?

It would be really interesting to see flywheel in 3rd and 4th and then ATW in 3rd and 4th.

yes they will

Gary, dont be such a fucking girl about it, if you know that how you operate your rollers is correct then there will be nothing anyone can criticise anyway.
Old 31-03-2009, 08:13 AM
GaryEvo

yes they will

Gary, dont be such a fucking girl about it, if you know that how you operate your rollers is correct then there will be nothing anyone can criticise anyway.
let me get some stuff out the way and ill sort it
Old 31-03-2009, 08:36 AM
Stu @ M Developments
PassionFords Creator

Received 95 Likes on 76 Posts

Interesting topic.

IMO Gary's Dyno use and knowledge is impecable as are his tuning skills so I will take his readings as being as scientific a test as we can get for free on a mere forum and would hope you all appreciate him using up his valuable time to create and collaborate the information for us.
Old 31-03-2009, 08:54 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Edited by Stu. Unnecessary.

Last edited by Stu @ M Developments; 31-03-2009 at 09:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Dyno Dynamics rolling road, accurate?