General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

One for house people - Wooden floors

Search this Thread

Old 20-03-2009, 08:11 PM
GARETH T
Professional Waffler

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

http://www.darrenevansflooring.com/index.html
Old 20-03-2009, 10:33 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Nah its a carpet fitters job Cos it goes on the floor!
Mate that statement has just proven how small minded you really are, carpet fitters and floor layers are completly different.

Carpet fitters fit CARPETS!!

Floor layers work on every different aspect of floors.

Just cos your a chippy doesnt mean you know every aspect of how to lay a solid wood floor as you've proven.

So if for arguement's sake i knew a chippy who fitted wood the same way as i've described would that be wrong too?

Do you actually know of the different methods for fitting solid wood?
As you've said all the oak you buy is the same size boards, which i imagine is 5" wide?

How would you fit the random length board's?
Why wouldnt you use elastilon with the board's you supply and fit?!?
Old 20-03-2009, 11:10 PM
TiB
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

I really cant be arsed quoting everyone on this thread that has a proffesional opinion, the thing most people seem to of missed is its all money related..

Real wood floors that are at a decent laminate price are best fitted via manufacturers guidelines due to it being the best way for the quality of that particular material so the floating/elastalon method is perfectly acceptable and certainly NOT classed as 'not the proper job',

Rhys has said he is on a budget for this hallway so how about trying to advise him for his situation,

Rhys... i would personally go for a good laminate floor or a karndean floor for your budget as the real/engineered woods of that price range are right at the low end of the range and quite frankly wont give the fit and forget peace of mind.

A good modern laminate will last you easy 10yrs+ and with the new styles available it will look good too,

Kardean is also pretty hard wearing for the money but requires better prep work to make it look spot on but it is more versatile and can be more personal as you can design you own design (borders etc)

Lee

ps if you want to put some pics up or email them to me of your concrete floor i'll tell you want i think is required to make good.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 20-03-2009, 11:28 PM
MikeR
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rst in breaking
looks nice mate
Thats interesting because l think it looks like shit, there are loads or gaps under the skirting board were the mainate appears to rise and fall, l would not be happy paying for a job like that,

Lee Ivant, l am not trying to have a pop i just dont like the job you have shown, and no l am not a chippy or floor layer

Mike
Old 20-03-2009, 11:32 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Rhys, if you go lam, as I said before get something like uniclic, decent stuff, and get the bevel edge stuff.

I did the lounge dinner at my house and fitted it myself, looks ok, yes not as good as solid floor, but still look really nice and not cheap unlike the standard flat laminate. Mine was a light oak with a grainy texture so doesn't have that horrid mirror shine lol

Get a fitter into to do it if there are a few doors as it will be a pain if you have never done it, most likely 100 - 150 quid fitting, days work tops.

My floors was shonky in places but stuck a decent damp proof membrain down and it hasn't moved at all and no bounce even on the rough bits. You could always self level in any really low spots to build it back up.

Really depends, if you want it down and mint for life go wood, if you want a pretty floor for 5 - 10 years on a budget, stick down the lam.

Had you been closer or been having more flooring done, I would have suggested letting me see what discounts i could have got from my mates who run shops, but on the amount you need it wouldn't work out cheaper with travel etc.
Old 20-03-2009, 11:38 PM
morcheen
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i done some solid oak strip flooring pre-varnished type,about 20mm thick,just glued it no pins,cut under the frames,it was slightly bevelled,looked very good and hard wearing.laminte is ok when selling a place on
Old 20-03-2009, 11:41 PM
matts1
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

not a great pic but the office floor in a dark ok bevel

Old 21-03-2009, 08:43 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhys
What can of Worms Im of to local builder merchant tomorrow as i did choose the Wood flooring but havign few issues getting it. Was solid teaked oak, There is few flooring places by that palce so will have butchers about, just not sure i can afford atm as pain in the arse. I still gotta buy all furniture and rest of building wk has gone OBver budget lol.
theres no wrong way and no right way. as in all things joinery related there can be half a dozen different ways of achieving the same end result . whatever suits you and your specific application is the way to do it.
Old 21-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

That looks nice Matt.

I would love a solid wood floor and always planned it, but building work has over run and i still need to carpet whole house, but cooker, firdge, hob and decorate the house yet. SO budget is getting tight an unfortunatley i hagve to start cuttting back. Bit of a shame but i think thats life. Tim i will get some pics of the floor area up in a bit before i go out to watch the rugby. Will show exactly what its like.

Still thanks for you help everyone appreciate it. If money was not an option it would be a close case and would be solid floor
Old 21-03-2009, 10:16 AM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by fuzzy
theres no wrong way and no right way. as in all things joinery related there can be half a dozen different ways of achieving the same end result . whatever suits you and your specific application is the way to do it.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Hate it when people come along and say "you dont want to do it like that"

The right way is the way that best suits you the materials and the job.
Old 21-03-2009, 10:34 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Masonny
Laminate is balls end of. Its only a pic of wood with a cheap thin laminate over the top.Good for a year or two tops.
so my laminate that i put down with some basic instructions over 6 years ago and hasn't had any problems is just sheer luck right?
2 kids with all their toys on it and the floor was the first thing that went down before anything else downstairs was done so it's also survived an extension being done, cealings and walls etc

i'd never done anything like it before so maybe i'm just naturally talented right
Old 21-03-2009, 10:38 AM
graeme
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

Very interesting subject i run a floor laying/sanding and polishing business
Here in Australia we have VERY strict rules to go by as far as laying floors are concerned and Lee Renalds way is the only way that is allowed over here.
Very interesting to hear of other methods, out of interest what sort of square metre rate is normal in the uk

thanks
Graeme
Old 21-03-2009, 11:30 AM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Personally I find laminate isn't that resilient. As soon as a drop of water goes anywhere near it it's knackered. Ok it doesn't just fall apart, but it starts looking shit within a couple of years.

That patch in Ikea, which says has 10000000 people walk over it every week. Go pour a bucket of water on it and leave it overnight, then see how good it looks a week later.
Old 21-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Right then folks here pics of said area:

From Kitchen to front door:

Bit of ground view:

Area by front door/bottom of stairs:

Looking from front door towards kitchen area:

Cupboard area which i have not included in floor space. I will just get extra meter sq to do this:

And pic of worst of the concrete:

Hope this helps
Old 21-03-2009, 12:46 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by graeme
Very interesting subject i run a floor laying/sanding and polishing business
Here in Australia we have VERY strict rules to go by as far as laying floors are concerned and Lee Renalds way is the only way that is allowed over here.
Very interesting to hear of other methods, out of interest what sort of square metre rate is normal in the uk

thanks
Graeme

One of the very first places i actually saw a large showroom being done like this was in OZ funnily enough! Didnt know it was the only way allowed over there though!

We are not strict with regards to building laws here mate, any bugger can do just about any trade other than gas and electric!

Not gonna continue with the thread, everyone has their own ways of doing things, be it wrong or right, its each to their own.
Old 21-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Right then folks here pics of said area:

From Kitchen to front door:

Bit of ground view:

Area by front door/bottom of stairs:

Looking from front door towards kitchen area:

Cupboard area which i have not included in floor space. I will just get extra meter sq to do this:

And pic of worst of the concrete:

Hope this helps
Whatever you chose Rhys the concrete isnt a problem mate self levelling compound will sort any undulations out! It all depends what you want mate, youve heard the views now make your choice
Old 21-03-2009, 01:34 PM
TiB

Looking at that floor.. it looks fine for laminate, put a damp proof membrane down and then use felt boards just in case of any slight lumps..

I could supply and fit a good quality laminate for the 400 budget you have that would look good (better than the old style laminate) and would last you for many many years.

Shame your not nearer cos by the time i'd made 2 trips (1 to measure and show samples 2nd to come and fit) the fuel costs would kill the job.
Old 21-03-2009, 01:36 PM
TiB

Although... if your going to central day i could show you samples there as i'll be in the van with the trailor for the car.
Old 22-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Tib wont be going to central day this year. Plus want to ideally get it order this week. Any recommendations for make of laminate? Going to search on the net later, someone said Balterino are alright?

For £430 i could have solid wood but thats not fitted so would have to add that ontop again, so hopefully im look at £300 for laminate. Going to have scout on net this afternoon.
Old 22-03-2009, 11:08 AM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

if you were getting laminate it wouldnt come to £150 for the materials. b+q do a wide range of solid timbers to give an idea and £30 ish a sq metre is decent enough stuff. its just a residential hall not a club dance floor so doesnt have to be the best/dearest stuff on the market.

Last edited by fuzzy; 22-03-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 22-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Thats what i was thinking Fuzzy its going to be 1/3 of the cot maybe less when taking into account fitting of solid wood. So its quite a difference, and was down my mates house which i was impressed with his laminate. So kinda of swaid me. Not done many cut back on the house but this is now going to be the one. I spend 3 times what i wanted on Bathroom kind of blinged it out as only small lol.
Old 22-03-2009, 11:29 AM
TiB

PERSONALLY... i wouldnt buy B&Q stuff as it may be hardish wearing in ideal envioroments but not brilliant.

Balterio laminate is pretty good in general but again stay away from the cheaper end stuff, Uniclic is a good laminate with plenty of choice and has won awards most years for best on the market for value for money.
Old 22-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Cool cheers Tib, will do a search on them aswell The floor is not that uneven in the hall. The kitchen is (but thats another day). You thinking just get some good underlay?
Old 22-03-2009, 01:08 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Originally Posted by TiB
PERSONALLY... i wouldnt buy B&Q stuff as it may be hardish wearing in ideal envioroments but not brilliant.

Balterio laminate is pretty good in general but again stay away from the cheaper end stuff, Uniclic is a good laminate with plenty of choice and has won awards most years for best on the market for value for money.
b+q use the same stuff you can get at merchants but theres a stigma attached to the b+q name as somehow being inferior. some is shit but most is actually decent.
a lot of the laminates available nowadays are good enough that unless you inspect them closely you wont be able to tell theyre not real wood.

Last edited by fuzzy; 22-03-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 22-03-2009, 01:11 PM
TiB

I'd still avoid B&Q to eliminate the risk..

Rhys... Get some fely boards.. also known as fibre boards, dont forget the damp proof membrane just to be safe.
Old 22-03-2009, 02:14 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

you need to put the dpm down over the concrete
then the fibre boards
then the laminate or whatever you chose

if i had my camera i'd take some shots of the laminate from b&q that's been down for 6+ years in the house to show that it's not gone "wrong" even with wet feet, kids dropping drinks on it and all sorts of wear and tear issues
Old 22-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Hmmm Quite like this..... http://www.ukflooringdirect.co.uk/La...al_UL_995.html

Now it will go with kitchem suite aswell so might laminate the hall into the kitchen! urgh never simple.
Old 22-03-2009, 03:00 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

balterio isnt bad gear and is water resistant, ie there 25 year guarantee on some of there ranges includes bathrooms

But tbh on the area you've got and the shape i'd not use balterio because of the fitting system as it's wank for a diy job.

Quick step is the market leader, for a reason

Piece of piss to fit and looks the bollocks when down.
Old 22-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Choices choices been to Wickes now and quite like some there lol.:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Laminate-Flo...ng/invt/199885

12mm thick too which is unusal for Laminate as most are 8mm
Old 23-03-2009, 04:50 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i used 'beveloc' bought from b&q and am very pleased with the finish. the bevel in the joins makes it look more real and the wide and long plank look has made the hall look significantly larger than it did before when it had cheap laminate with the small 'block' look

Old 23-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Nick that looks great
Old 23-03-2009, 09:15 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

thanks Rhys. i'm pleased with it. just need a few finishing touches to the hall now as it's a bit bare. put a small mirror up by the front door this afternoon. probably going to get some of my pictures printed out large and framed along the main wall to personalise it
Old 23-03-2009, 09:30 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i didnt want laminate and im far far too poor to get a real wood floor so i tiled the WHOLE downstairs with floor tiles,,, mop the whole lot in one go but fuck me grouting is one thing i will NEVER get over,, nor carrying 20 boxes of tiles up to my flat either !!!!

as said before though,, no matter what you drop it explodes on impact no matter how gentle the drop,, wine glasses are almost thought of/treated like paper plates in this house
Old 23-03-2009, 09:55 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Nick, how you find the 8mm Lam? B&Q Have 12mm oak effect but its two plank effect and is quite nice. But looking at that i like the single plank effect, just fancy 12mm thickness as fancy it may be a bit more sturdy?

Ginge nothing is ever 100% proof. I have tiled bathroom floor. My Bathroom looks very bling even though only small. I will get pics up of house once its all done.
Old 24-03-2009, 08:14 AM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

got no problems with 8mm. we also have a concrete floor that just needed those thin sheets of foam on top. there's only 2 of us in the house so it doesn't get a lot of stick anyway. the missus wears heals on it, but it's not a problem.

personallly i think you're over complicating it what with all the advice from the pro's. it would be nice to have the best of the best, but it's not necessary and you should buy to your budget. it will last 10 years by which time you'll either be gone or want to change it anyway.
Old 24-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Rhys
15K+ Super Poster!!

Well bought some today! Shows how bad my floor is, i have put the thick underlay down and theres a bump next to the stairs resulting in a 4mm ish gap in the board! Argh doh.

Got builder going down tomorrow to sort somthing else out so said can he have a look. Might just get him to fit it.
Old 24-03-2009, 08:23 PM
mrjenrst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Well bought some today! Shows how bad my floor is, i have put the thick underlay down and theres a bump next to the stairs resulting in a 4mm ish gap in the board! Argh doh.

Got builder going down tomorrow to sort somthing else out so said can he have a look. Might just get him to fit it.
I really wish you was closer mate, i'd do it for you.

Hope you get it sorted
Old 24-03-2009, 08:34 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

cant you remove the thick underlay from the high point in the floor but put a couple of layers in the low point to even it out?
Old 25-03-2009, 04:46 PM
cossiebags
220 bhp rs turbo sleeper

Cheers Nick! The Skirting is not on yet and is waiting on the flooring going down, so theres now problem there. i am fussy with having things done properly. With regards to real and Engineered wood there is no real difference in looks? I have not seen the two together to compare.

Dont know what to do tbh, been quoted nealy £400 for the wood and then have to be adhesive etc which been told is £90? And then spend on getting it fitted. Not sure wether want to spend that much? That is the proper wood flooring etc though.
my dads got solid oak flooring in his frontroom and he regets it beacause it leaves marks everywhere especially from ladys high hill shoes but the good thing is you can sand them down but its not worth the hassel
Old 29-03-2009, 10:35 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
LOL am the same mate mine still aint done, im on with finishing my extension as well as the garden total landscape and running a business! I need a holiday...

Look forward to seeing the marble
Marble reveals and tops as promised, Had some left over oak from the skirting so made it in to the unit fronts and toilet back.

All works well with the laminate flooring and the marble.

This little square used to be the cupboard

excuse mirror, its only tempoary untill the new mirror glass is cut for the oak frame.

double sink

new window with marble surround

and the rest of the marble

the tiles are actually a spanish ceramic, 18x12 lovely to work with and such a close match to the marble tops and reveals

toilet flush cut into the marble

Marble Around the door reveal as well. (had to push the door frame 3" into the bedroom to get the 27" pannel door to swing fully open)

new celing, welded my trowel to the celing when plastering it, due to the light wires still being live

anyway sorry for thread stealing, thouhgt it show you the laminate can work/flow if you pick the right materials to compliment it.

Last edited by Lee Ivatt; 29-03-2009 at 10:40 PM.

Quick Reply: One for house people - Wooden floors