General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Were do I stand?

Search this Thread

Old 24-02-2009 | 10:46 PM
Rob84
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Default Were do I stand?

Right the story goes as follows....

I took my girlfriends Audi A3 back to the local main dealer with a gearbox (DSG jobbie) problem on the 29th of Jan. At this time the used approved warrenty was still valid. They had it a week because as well as fixing the problem, which apprently was the "Imput speed sensor", they also carried out some "updates" to the gearbox ecu, exactly what that entailed, i'm not sure.

After a few days the original problem returned. We then arranged to get it back to Audi to be looked at again but we had to wait a couple of weeks to get a loan car. In this time the used warrenty expired. I got a voicemail this evening from the dealer saying it looks like the gearbox is faulty, which to me is saying they are wanting to replace it.

However, as the warrenty has run out, they are trying to sort out some good-will from Audi to help with the cost. Surely as I took the car into them with the original problem, that they failed to fix properly first time and with the warrenty still valid, I shouldn't have to pay for a new box now should that be the outcome??

So, to my orignal question.... were do I stand?

Thanks for reading
Old 24-02-2009 | 10:53 PM
P_is_for_Paul
Coldo loves seamen

Carlos the man to help you out here and im sure he will, as he is a warranty controller, albeit for BMW, but most manufacturing warrantys are quite similar give or take a few discrepancies.

As for your situation, after your original warranty runs out i believe there is a 6 month period for goodwill. If its only a few weeks over the warranty as you say, then i see no reason why you shouldnt get 100% goodwill. Things they usually ask you are how many Audis have you owned new or used (dunno why they ask cos theyll never ask you to prove this), has it been Audi dealer serviced, etc....
Old 24-02-2009 | 10:58 PM
iansoutham
OCD Victim

Warranty still stands providing the symptoms of the fault (i.e. the fault) are still the same as the initial inception. They have not fixed it and it is an ongoing issue within a short timescale. They would not be obliged to fix anything NOT directly related though.

If they refuse, call CAB and they will most likely help you to write a nicely worded stinking letter to get the appropriate action taken. Contact the Customer Care Centre as well in the meantime though as they have the authority to overrule a service advisor/manager in these circumstances.

Once fixed, find another dealer to use as these ones obviously are not being that helpful.

I have an Audi dealer literally @ the end of my road and I take my A6 about 30 miles away for servicing as they are spot-on for quality and service, even when Audi themselves mess up. I had a towbar fitted when I got the car (3 month old ex-demo @ the time) and Audi messed something up on the spec of the car so the parts quoted were incorrect. Audi picked up the tab for the extra Ł250 worth of parts required immediately. My local dealer did not want to know.
Old 25-02-2009 | 07:10 AM
focusv8
PassionFord Post Whore!!

At least they've opened with "trying to get Audi to help"

You can probably bargain with them even if they do insist the warranty has gone.

They could have said it's out of warranty, tough luck.

But I thing you are in with a chance as they have already looked and failed to fix.

Old 25-02-2009 | 12:04 PM
TurboShed
Cossiemodo

Originally Posted by focusv8
At least they've opened with "trying to get Audi to help"...
To me this sounds like a prelude to "sorry they can't help, here's the bill".
Old 25-02-2009 | 12:13 PM
paul thornton
BMW RS DIESELWORTH

Its an on going problem so its def. covered speak to audi uk, had the same problem with my octavia vrs and they eventually sorted it under warranty although it was 2 months out.