General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car Mapped & Ready To Come Home

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 05:32 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just noticed that you only live in clifton....if there's any problems it's only an hour up the road tops to whip it back there! Have a little drive over there and get em to sort out the idle imo.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:44 PM
bad boy
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Originally Posted by rstdave
Just noticed that you only live in clifton....if there's any problems it's only an hour up the road tops to whip it back there! Have a little drive over there and get em to sort out the idle imo.
nah mate thats clifton, nottingham
Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 AM
ScoobyMatt

Guys,

Garage19 has a serious grudge against us for some reason.

The inectors, by part number are 330CC.

It wasnt just Ł500 for the mapping, we had to wire it all up, sort the original wiring loom that was badly bodged by someone Phil previouly took the car to. We were under the impression it had a-31 in there, when we found out it didnt, we advised Phil and he was happy to have it mapped as such. We do have external boost control on our dyno, and such we mapped the car up to 19psi. As the ECU is working in MAP/RPM (Speed/desinsity) when he ups the boost to anywhere below 19psi, it is mapped to start with. (Garage19's extensive mapping and ECU operations knowledge shines here....)

It is worth noting that when we adivsed phuil he said he would look out for a -31 then bring the car back to us. The problem we have is geopgraphy, with him being so far away I cant easily help him out, if he were 5 miles away I would say to pop back now the bonnet is fixed and we could quickly adjust the idle for him, not a problem.

The engine was in a somewhat 'dodgy' state, but phil realiased this so we did the work required to get the vehicle to be mapped. At the point where the bonnet didnt want to open we simply coudent put more hours in without escalating phils bill beyond which was resonable. The latter of this, setting the idle, is fair enough.

Phil is happy, and we are planning on finishing the job once the car is back with the new actuator, intercooler, and more solid gearbox.

Cheers guys, any more issues ask away

Matt

Last edited by ScoobyMatt; 02-03-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:20 AM
ScoobyMatt

Originally Posted by Garage19
Did they fit the ecu? Are you running a coil pack and 36-1 tooth crank speed sensor?

Ł500 is what i would call proper money for mapping a car. I would expect a top notch job for that. Let us know how the car drives/starts when you get it back. Starts first time from cold and hot? Drives smoothly around town, on and of the throttle?
Ł500 included 3 hours of sorting the orignal sensors, reewiring EDIS, oil change, laods of stuff.

As it is a ZVH you would KNOW it has the 36-1 trigger and I very much doubt is has a distributor if it runs the OFAC lomm and EDIS....

Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 08:26 AM
ScoobyMatt

Originally Posted by bad boy
its weird thou coz i,ve taken it out 3 times now and booted it but not had the cap blow off, it doesnt smoke doesnt knock and runs well when driving, its just the idle.
Phil,

I take it you are using a new cap now? I think the old one was literally just a little loose/seal gone.

Turbos all breathe quite heavily due to the extra pressure through compression, but either way glad you like it. Once the idle is risen to 900ish it will be puuurrffect!

Matt

Last edited by ScoobyMatt; 02-03-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:43 AM
ScoobyMatt

lol, sorry for the spam! Also,

We didnt try and bodge the actuator to saty at a bar or something silly like that, or even pressure Phil into uprating it. The gearbox was on its way out and any more it would of gone pop.

We are not in the business of ripping people off, phone another garage and ask them what they would charge to fit and map an RST which is in GOOD RUNNING ORDER. You will get Ł1600 back at a minum, and Ł2100 is the max we have had back.

The wiring was bodged together by someone phil paid Ł200 to to try and fit the OFAB onver the OFAC, they even had a GM IAT sensor, so we fitte a Ford one for him as well, then went about sorting the usable parts of the loom and EDIS module wa then removed etc.

Garage19 likes to though in all sorts of slander, with no perosnal experience whatso ever, an apparent lack of knowledge with regards how mapping works with respect to boost levels, didnt realise a Zetec has the 36-1 pattern, among other things.

Take the advice from people who have had an experience with us, you will find they are all good ones.

for example: http://community.rhocar.org/index.php?showtopic=21495

This guys car wasnt evebn running, had tooo much wrong to list, but we pressed on and look how chuffed he is....

I dont want to get into an argument with anyone, Garage19 has a grudge thats obvious, I am interested as to his identity, how have we offended you, or even WHO are you? lol

If anyone has had a personal bad experience, please contact us and we will resolve it, that is what I have been doing to sort all the isses my ex biz partner caused over 4 years ago, and as others have said, I think I'm not doing too badly.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 08:45 AM
ScoobyMatt

Oh,

Forgot to say, Phil was charged Ł1100...that included us COLLECTING and REDILVIERING the car on a trailer (as it wasnt running when we picked it up and not taxed/tested etc), overing in total 720MIles for him. (180 one way) Anyone know of any other garage doing this?

We charged phil the small sum of just Ł200 including the diesel to do this. So thats leaving Ł800 for an ECU (Ł350 on its own) wiring and mapped, boost controller added, sorting old OFAC wiring, new injectors, ford IAT sensor. So wheres Ł500 for mapping come from Garage19? I am confused...

Matt

Last edited by ScoobyMatt; 02-03-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:17 AM
bad boy

nice one matt go for it son. no mate still the old cap just aint taken it over 4000rpm thats probably why mate. Got my breather coming soon, booked in for mot on friday managed to up the idle a bit but now its 700rpm on cold start and around a 1000 when warm, thats better than it was i just want to keep taking it out its a crazy car now. love it
Old 02-03-2009, 09:31 AM
ScoobyMatt

lol, cheers mate, just wish the others would realise lol!!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mtechautomotive
lol, cheers mate, just wish the others would realise lol!!
Matt
This is Passionford dont take too much notice, loads of keyboard heros with no knowledge of anything that love to put the boot in, even when they have little or no facts. The true test is a happy customer although he should have known not to come on here & ask a load of wanabees to comment.
Cheers Rod
Old 02-03-2009, 10:00 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll need a new username or pay the traders fee btw Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 10:30 AM
ScoobyMatt

Yes mate, how do I go about changing it? Looked at the CP, no sight of anything I can use in there?

Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 10:31 AM
ScoobyMatt

Rod,

Completley agree, some people just don;t have a clue then cal;l in to question the skills of those who do it for a living, laughable I think!

Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 10:46 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes mate, how do I go about changing it? Looked at the CP, no sight of anything I can use in there?

Matt

PM a mod mate. Just a head sup so you dont get warned.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

Funny how everyone else came to the same conclusions as me from the information your customer has given on here.

I have nothing against you but have simply given solid advice that I still stand by to a fellow forum member who didn’t seem to happy with the job you had done for him.

Where did I get Ł500 for mapping from….

Bad Boy: “They charged Ł350 for the ecu and Ł500 to map”

He also states.

“it doesnt idle very well when cold sitting at 500rpm but mtech said thats what happens when u fit aftermarket management”

Did you not say this? Are you saying that your customer has lied?

He also states:

“Also its hesitant on acceleration, it seems to struggle when u floor it but then kicks u back in ur seat”

If this is not a transient fuelling problem then please tell us what else is causing the problem.

As for asking if it has 36-1 and a coilpack, I was trying to assess if there was any other work you had carried out that may have bumped up the price. I’m sure you are aware that if you use an ERST engine (after all this is an ERST) as a base for a ZVH conversion that unless you change to a later flywheel the engine will have to have some method of crank speed sensing fitted to the crankshaft pulley.

If a customer came to you and said there car had been mapped but didn’t idle, bucked down the road on part throttle and made barely more power than a stock car despite a 31 % capacity increase what would you say?

There are many people that claim to map cars for a living that are utter shite at it. Many people on this forum have encountered them. Engine Advantages springs to mind.

Buying a Dyno Dynamics rolling road on hire purchase does not automatically qualify you as a competent engine calibrator.

If you would like to give a brief CV of your engine calibration and tuning past including notable cars that have achieved proven figures or done well in particular events/race series I’m sure it would do no harm.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:00 AM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive had dealings with MTEC in the past and it was a fooooooooooookin nightmare!i gave up in the end,
about a year back someone mentioned MTEC and i said some rude words
matts radar ears must of been up as he ws straight on,I had a new ECU and all the help i needed with in a week
Old 02-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by MadRod
Matt
This is Passionford dont take too much notice, loads of keyboard heros with no knowledge of anything that love to put the boot in, even when they have little or no facts. The true test is a happy customer although he should have known not to come on here & ask a load of wanabees to comment.
Cheers Rod
Rod,

I wouldn’t consider myself a keyboard warrior with no knowledge. We have met and chatted. Did i seem like a guy that didn't know his arse from his elbow?

Ask your self this, would Mark map a car with a knackered actuator?

Would Mark let a car he has mapped leave his workshop that didn’t idle properly and had transient fueling problems?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:14 AM
ScoobyMatt

Garage,

The actuator was weak, and I did avise of this. Without intruding into Phil, he did not want to (for finanacial reasonas at the time) want us to carry out the upgrade, and also I recall he did actuyally have one that he had not had time to fit.

We spent a good 2 hoirs on transients, including TPS and MAP based accel enrichment and it stil hesistated, we are talking a very SLIGHT hesitation, the same as on the ogiringal management as Phil said. So we are close to OEM ford, not bad...

Remember the idle was also low (we literally coudnt get the bonnet open at the end opf the ropd test for me to increase the idle and Phil was happy with that. (He is happy with the car, I perosnally think you were too eager to jump in and stir the postings...)

My CV...

4 years at Loughborogh University, BSc Comp Sci,
1 Year in Automotive Motosport engineering to give me the magic MEng
6 years supoplying MS ECUs
3 years road mapping

Cant say I have many claims to big power cars but we have yet to be provided with something to start with. Our own Subaru makes just over 500 BHP (Fly) with a 22B forged engine which I road mapped on the M4...

We bumped a 96BHP 1800 Zetec to 155BHP with TBs+ECU mapped bty myself, not bad for a standard engine. 50BHP gain, more than Emerald have managed, with an almost flat torque curve.

I spend alot of time mapping mid range as that is where driving is done. WOT BHP is for pub talk.

The hesiattion will no doubt be that such a low idle, slamming the gate open will do this, especially on a restrictive turbo.

Try one of our TB'd cars out... thats what you call throttle response!

Anyway, no hard feelings, just your opinions against ours. The customer is chuffed, does this not speak for itself?

If we could get that bonnet open, and upped the idle, would there even be all this discussion?

Cheers,
Matt

PS, and the Dyno, Cash purchase from all the ECU sales we have had in the last 6 years. Oh, in terms of it making us an engine calibrator, neither does harping on a forum...

Anyway, have a 1970s Ford Granada Cossie on the rollers, absoulte immaculate full restorartion over 80K spent, and hes come to us for mapping and ECU, so must get on with that... Cheers,

Last edited by ScoobyMatt; 02-03-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Matt,

You obviously seem a reasonably sharp chap. Perhaps you should introduce some form of sign off or completion certificate into your working method.

That way you could record snags and issues that are down to the customer much like the advisories page you may get with an MOT.

It would be signed by yourself and the customer and each party would keep a copy. That way there would be no issues like this arising and if they did you would have plain and simple proof to back up your argument.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:32 PM
ScoobyMatt

Garage19,

Thanks, I only try to make everyone happy.

If a customer brings me a running, well maintained car I can fit and map an ECu for around Ł800/Ł1000 INCLUDING the ECU> Our prices, and above all our service are as good as I can make them, my best that is

Good idea, one which I will have my colleague drawing up this afternoon.

Anyway, Phil is back soon so we can get the power that engine deserves to deliver!

Cheers,
Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Sounds like they are trying to pay their rollers off sooner rather than later!!
Old 02-03-2009, 02:10 PM
ScoobyMatt

Martin,

Bought outright

You think Ł1,000 is pricey for supply fit and map of an ECU?

Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 02:13 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Matt, what would you like your username changing to?
Old 02-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Martin,

Bought outright

You think Ł1,000 is pricey for supply fit and map of an ECU?

Matt

I thought the Ł500 mapping fee was a little stiff until you mentioned sorting out sensors and wiring etc!

Regarding the actuator, I would have mapped the car on a good actuator and if the customer couldn't afford the new part then I would keep it to one side until he had the funds, saves having it back again .
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM
ScoobyMatt

Yeh would of been dieal, think Phil was just itching to get it back though lol!

lol and collection and redilivery was included in that Ł500

He as on about two vists anyway due to getting a new front mount and gearbox and wanting us to fit all that the second time round. It was a clean looking car, especially consdiring what he got his hands on it for!

Matt
Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
bad boy

Smile

that is true i wanted it back to get it motd and on the road before i do anything else. + i love to drive it hahaha
Old 02-03-2009, 05:19 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

i must through this in agan but from useing m-tech in the past i have found them to be very honist imo i bort a fucked ecu sent it to them they rang me up as soon as they got it to tell me that it was one they had prevousley supplyed and they then fixed it FOC.

they could have kept there mouths shut imo and charged me any way but they dident..

im not taking sides at all martin i have heard nothink but good about you and garage19 i have seen your work on chips nova well inpressed. when funds alow it im gonna give you a call lol
Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by bad boy
nah mate thats clifton, nottingham
Lol oh right not clifton in bristol then! Glad you're happy with it now, though to be fair it didn't really sound like you were overly happy when you started the thread. Good responses matt, don't think we all had the full story to start with......
Old 02-03-2009, 05:42 PM
ScoobyMatt

No worries guys, sorry for the rant earlier.

Forums can make or break companies these days, and as we are just starting out with the rollers its important to maintain a good image, and build a good customer base etc.

Think it was more of just a miss understanding, plus, turn BBC news on, all news is bad news nowadays!

Anyway, Im still working away, bloody starvin time for dinner I think!!!

Matt