General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Car Mapped & Ready To Come Home

Search this Thread

Old 23-02-2009, 10:59 AM
bad boy
I'm Finding My Feet Here Now

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Mapped & Ready To Come Home

hi guys my car is finished and will be coming back to me on thursday. It went to mtech to have megasquirt management installed and the be mapped and rolling roaded. All is now done and he said the engine is solid and very reliable. It only made 160bhp at 11psi as the actuator needs replacing, but made 220lbft of torque, and he said it pulls like a train boosting fine at 18psi but then its drops to 11psi due to the actuator, so once that is sorted i should see and easy 200bhp i hope. Spec is

2.1 ZVH EFI Engine
Calibra Turbo Mahle Pistons
Standard Zetec Rods and crank
Standard T3 & Actuator
Standard Clutch
Standard Gearbox
Motorsport Fuel Pump
Beige 701 Injectors

All the standards are to be upgraded shortly
Old 23-02-2009, 11:04 AM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

Originally Posted by bad boy
hi guys my car is finished and will be coming back to me on thursday. It went to mtech to have megasquirt management installed and the be mapped and rolling roaded. All is now done and he said the engine is solid and very reliable. It only made 160bhp at 11psi as the actuator needs replacing, but made 220lbft of torque, and he said it pulls like a train boosting fine at 18psi but then its drops to 11psi due to the actuator, so once that is sorted i should see and easy 200bhp i hope. Spec is

2.1 ZVH EFI Engine
Standard T3 & Actuator
Standard Clutch
Standard Gearbox
Motorsport Fuel Pump
Beige 701 Injectors

very nice how did you fined there service?? what did you have done and what did the charge you?? if you dont mined me asking
Old 23-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should replace the actuator (with your permission) before mapping.

It will need re mapping if you replace it after they have mapped it.

Sending it home like that is their first mistake!
Old 24-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Seems ike they have been up setting other RS turbo owners.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140490
Old 24-02-2009, 07:33 PM
bad boy

Originally Posted by Garage19
Seems ike they have been up setting other RS turbo owners.

http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=140490
that was from 2006 and he said it was a year ago so that makes it 2005, they had a dick working for them back then matt even admitted that, but matt and james have been spot on for me thats all i,m botherd about.
Old 24-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

but tthey have mapped you car with a duff actuator so that as soon as you fit a new actuator the map is going to be wrong and you will have to get it remapped!!!

Doesn't sound very professional to me
Old 24-02-2009, 07:47 PM
bad boy

but tthey have mapped you car with a duff actuator so that as soon as you fit a new actuator the map is going to be wrong and you will have to get it remapped!!!

Doesn't sound very professional to me
they mapped it to 18psi with boost controller fitted so it is ready to run a different actuator, i,ve had 2 rs turbos and both times i changed the actuator i never had to get the car remapped, and nothing went wrong.
Old 24-02-2009, 07:51 PM
clarke5700
YES I KNOW I CANT SPELL

i bort an ecu from ebay (megasquirt) and it dident work so i sent it to them and they said i was one of there ecus that they supplyed to the privious owner. the repaired it free of charge and sent it back to me all i hade to cover was the postage lol they could have kept there mouth shut and made a quick buck as i would have been none the wiser ive spoke to a bloke down there he seens akool guy from my (little)expirence with them then seem ok.

dont like the sound of mapping a car with a doddy actuator tho??
Old 24-02-2009, 07:55 PM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

they mapped it to 18psi with boost controller fitted so it is ready to run a different actuator, i,ve had 2 rs turbos and both times i changed the actuator i never had to get the car remapped, and nothing went wrong.

Garage19 is right...you car has been mapped to 18psi your right but then it tails off to 11psi at high revs so your map will be a mile out at high revs...it will only be right till the boost starts to drop.......

You'll melt it....
Old 24-02-2009, 08:17 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

Send them an actuator if needs be and get it mapped properly at full boost before it comes back...then if anything goes wrong you can take it back safe in the knowledge that it won't be your fault.
Old 24-02-2009, 08:33 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

2.1 ZVH EFI Engine
Standard T3 & Actuator
Standard Clutch
Standard Gearbox
Motorsport Fuel Pump
Beige 701 Injectors

sorry to burst your bubble but it was pointless mapping it on a weak actautor.

As said; as soon as you put a new actuator on it, the custom map will be wrong.

take people's advise off here; otherwise you will risk blowing your motor up
Old 25-02-2009, 06:56 AM
lawnsy
PassionFord Post Troll

Should that spec not run that much power at a lot less boost......you can get that power out of a 1.6 cvh at that boost....

I know its your money mate but the amount of money you must have spent on that engine i would not be trusting that map.......
Old 25-02-2009, 07:06 AM
bad boy

Originally Posted by lawnsy
Should that spec not run that much power at a lot less boost......you can get that power out of a 1.6 cvh at that boost....

I know its your money mate but the amount of money you must have spent on that engine i would not be trusting that map.......
thanks for all ur replies, i understand what ur saying i cant afford to keep the car thier any longer thats why i didnt get the actuator done. I will wait and just run it how it is for a few months coz i got a lot to uprate anyway. Once i have done the actuator put a bigger intercooler on and an uprated clutch and better gearbox i will get it sent back down and remapped. I didnt want them to push it too hard coz of the standard clutch i wanted to be able to drive it and not worry about the clutch slipping.
Old 25-02-2009, 07:38 AM
bad boy

pics Guys

[/quote]
Old 25-02-2009, 07:38 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

Originally Posted by lawnsy
I was thinking that, I can't help but wonder why there is so little power, a 1.6 can easily do that power without issue and reliably. Is it running a standard head and cam?

Did the Dyno have cooling fans? -- I can't see any in pics ?

Last edited by Turbocabbie; 25-02-2009 at 07:40 AM.
Old 25-02-2009, 07:43 AM
bad boy

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
I was thinking that, I can't help but wonder why there is so little power, a 1.6 can easily do that power without issue and reliably. Is it running a standard head and cam?

Did the Dyno have cooling fans? -- I can't see any in pics ?
yeah mate they had the fans but said it kept cool anyway and yes it is standard infact everything is standard bar the bottom end.
Old 25-02-2009, 07:55 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

I've dabled a fair bit with megasquirt. Just out of ineterst, what did they charge you to supply, fit and map the ecu?

I agree, a 2.1 zvh should make more power than that even on a stock head. If i were you my next step would be to swap the RST T3 for a cossie one and check your cam and followers.

The problem is you shouldn't have been hearing the advice about the actuator on here. It should have been coming from Mtech.
Old 25-02-2009, 08:10 AM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

I think everyone is assuming that the thread starter is accurately repeating/understanding what he was told by the supplier. This may or not be the case, but it's probably best not to go off on a mission about them!
Old 25-02-2009, 08:23 AM
bad boy

I've dabled a fair bit with megasquirt. Just out of ineterst, what did they charge you to supply, fit and map the ecu?

I agree, a 2.1 zvh should make more power than that even on a stock head. If i were you my next step would be to swap the RST T3 for a cossie one and check your cam and followers.

The problem is you shouldn't have been hearing the advice about the actuator on here. It should have been coming from Mtech.
he thought i had a dash 31 actuator fitted that is why he contacted me telling me what was going on with the car, and i told him i couldnt afford to get it done yet so thats why its staying as it is for a bit. They charged Ł350 for the ecu and Ł500 to map and rolling road plus had to change oil, new plugs & leads, boost controller, & put Ł20 of fuel in.
Old 25-02-2009, 08:51 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

Did they fit the ecu? Are you running a coil pack and 36-1 tooth crank speed sensor?

Ł500 is what i would call proper money for mapping a car. I would expect a top notch job for that. Let us know how the car drives/starts when you get it back. Starts first time from cold and hot? Drives smoothly around town, on and of the throttle?
Old 25-02-2009, 10:02 AM
bad boy

Did they fit the ecu? Are you running a coil pack and 36-1 tooth crank speed sensor?

Ł500 is what i would call proper money for mapping a car. I would expect a top notch job for that. Let us know how the car drives/starts when you get it back. Starts first time from cold and hot? Drives smoothly around town, on and of the throttle?
yes mate they fitted the ecu, they removed the EDIS module and did a direct coil driver. dont worry i will be going over it, he said we will do a road test when it gets back here anyway with the laptop plugged in and if thiers anything im not happy with he will change. I,m hopeing to get it back 2moz i,m well excited i aint drove it for a year
Old 25-02-2009, 10:25 AM
bad boy

just spoke to mtech they are bringin it back on friday, i questioned him about a few things and he said it would be best to leave it thier and let them fit the acutator but i told him i cant afford it and will get it done in a few months. He also said car starts and runs fine, he said normally when u fit aftermarket management they can struggle to start and run lumpy on idle be mine runs great.
Old 25-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

So total cost of the job was Ł850?? or was it more?
Old 25-02-2009, 01:19 PM
bad boy

So total cost of the job was Ł850?? or was it more?
ended up being Ł1100 due to all the other bits they had to do, but at the end of the day the car is running that is all i care about, now i can crack on and get it motd and do other little bits i want to do to it.
Old 27-02-2009, 09:47 PM
bad boy

the car is now back and i,m happy with it but thier are u few things i,m not too sure on, it doesnt idle very well when cold sitting at 500rpm but mtech said thats what happens when u fit aftermarket management, But the idle speed control valve is not even connected. Cap still blows off but when it does car runs shit which is a good sign. Also its hesitant on acceleration, it seems to struggle when u floor it but then kicks u back in ur seat, cant really figure that one out. It is quick thou which i,m happy with
Old 27-02-2009, 09:54 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Take Garage 19 and the other lads advice. The problems you've described are what he told you to look out for. Remember, he isn't saying this because he needs your money as he isn't getting any off of you. He's advising because he doesn't want you to get conned or robbed. If this was mapped by someone like NMS, MSD, APT, ETC - I am sure it would idle fine and drive fine. Chip said a while ago, anyone can map a car to go quick, but getting it to drive cold, off boost etc is the difficuilt part.

Benni.

Last edited by Benni; 27-02-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 27-02-2009, 09:57 PM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

Sounds like Mtech haven't come from an automotive tuning background......
Old 27-02-2009, 10:20 PM
Garage19
PassionFord Post Troll

the car is now back and i,m happy with it but thier are u few things i,m not too sure on, it doesnt idle very well when cold sitting at 500rpm but mtech said thats what happens when u fit aftermarket management, But the idle speed control valve is not even connected. Cap still blows off but when it does car runs shit which is a good sign. Also its hesitant on acceleration, it seems to struggle when u floor it but then kicks u back in ur seat, cant really figure that one out. It is quick thou which i,m happy with
Sorry, sounds like a poor job to me.

"it doesnt idle very well when cold sitting at 500rpm but mtech said thats what happens when u fit aftermarket management"

If they said that then it pretty much sums up why you shouldn't use them.

What is the cap blowing off that you refer to???? Why is the car running shit a good sign???

What you have described is poor mapping of warmup enrichments, poor setting/mapping of idle speed and poor mapping of transient fuelling.

Take it back and tell them that for Ł500 you expect these things to be right.
Old 27-02-2009, 10:28 PM
bigchez
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mate, I paid NMS a figure not that diff to what you've paid to map my cossie, and its PERFECT. I started it for the first time since August 2 weeks ago, and it still fired and idled perfectly. You should accept nothing less.

An actuator is Ł120 or so - I know how it feels when you've done all your cash on the car and it needs more, as I got mine back from mapping and the fucking actuator rod snapped a week later!! Beg, borrow or steal that money get one and get them to map it properly, or all you've done is wasted that Ł500 on mapping which will just need doing again anyway.
Old 27-02-2009, 10:47 PM
westus1
Advanced PassionFord User

i'm no expart on mapping, far from it in fact
but i do have experience in a motorsport back ground
and all our cars ran aftermarket management
all came with a base map that made the car run pretty much the way you describe
but after they had been mapped on track(by somebody else on the team not me)
they always came back with much more power, torque etc
and ran better from cold/light throttle etc,
sounds to me like its just running a slightly mod'd base map
than the full live map that you paid for
i wouldn't be happy at all for that money
as we used megasquirt a couple of times and i can garauntee you that if
mapped correctly they run fine when cold etc,
i think they just cant map well enough to do this
thats why they're aftermarket ecu's never run right
this is just my opinion, i have never dealt with this company or this car
so no offence intended to anybody, but sounds fishy to me

Last edited by westus1; 27-02-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 27-02-2009, 11:07 PM
rstdave
PassionFord Post Troll

As everyone's sayin i wouldn't be impressed if i'd shelled out that money.....thought they had told you on the phone that it ran lovely and started fine etc, you should have test drove the car when they brought it back and sent it back with them to properly, easy to say i know but you're obviously not happy.
Old 28-02-2009, 12:41 AM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

are you from planet loon or something? no offence but you've paid Ł500 for a car to be mapped that doesnt idle right when cold and the cap still blows off???? what the fuck is that about

basically it sounds like you been done for Ł500 for a live map which is shit - get it sorted or demand a refund. A live map should be perfect

why people like this go to micky mouse tuners is beyond me go to someone tried and tested
Old 28-02-2009, 05:40 AM
bunjeeman
Regular Contributor

Doesn't sound like you got your money's worth mate! I live in Hong Kong and don't have anyone here to live map my Escos, but recently I've upgraded to wasted spark, coilpack, ALS and Evochip from Stu at MSD. Due to differences in fuel, atmospheric pressures etc, the car had part throttle / transient load issues which I discussed with Stu. With the help of Stu and my LM-1 lambda meter, we were able to isolate the fueling issues and he sent over a revised map chip for me to try!

What a difference!!! Although not as good as having Stu here to live map, but must be 99% perfect!!! Idles smooth, drives well on part throttle and absolutely amazing from 2,500RPM upwards at WOT!!! Sounds like what Stu can do remotely from the other side of the world, your guys can't do with a live map and aftermarket management! And I spent nothing close to that you paid!!!

Good luck mate, hope you get it sorted soon!
Old 28-02-2009, 06:50 AM
bad boy

Originally Posted by rstdave
As everyone's sayin i wouldn't be impressed if i'd shelled out that money.....thought they had told you on the phone that it ran lovely and started fine etc, you should have test drove the car when they brought it back and sent it back with them to properly, easy to say i know but you're obviously not happy.
I was at work when the car was dropped off & yes i rang him back and told him that, he said that it beathes heavy for some reason but with the bailey breather will be fine, and as for the hessitant throttle he said thats just the way the car is, it was like that before when i was running the ofac and ofab setup, im wondering its that a throttle sensor problem or something. he also said the idle needed adjusting but the cable snapped on the bonnet so they couldnt get it open which is true it has snapped but i can still get the bonnet open from underneath. If i get the idle sorted i'll be a little happier, when driving the car it does feel fine, it just seems to be when its standing on the drive that its hessitant on throttle.
Old 28-02-2009, 07:01 AM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

There is no point in mapping a car if it is not 100% mechanically sound beforehand. This appears to be something they are yet to learn.
Old 28-02-2009, 07:10 AM
bad boy

also has anyone heard of cosworth orane or tangerine injectors 330cc, well he put these in instead said the beiges werent good enough.
Old 28-02-2009, 07:16 AM
pa_sjo
Colossal Pervert

also has anyone heard of cosworth orane or tangerine injectors 330cc, well he put these in instead said the beiges werent good enough.
You can't really go by colour, but no, no Cosworth injectors were ever 'orange'. They'll most likely be from something else. Either way, 330cc/min is more than enough for your spec.
Old 28-02-2009, 07:33 AM
badnews
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

it sounds fooked already mate blowing the cap off is bad maybe a few more checks should have been done before takeing money off you for a remap.
Old 28-02-2009, 08:14 PM
bad boy

Originally Posted by badnews
it sounds fooked already mate blowing the cap off is bad maybe a few more checks should have been done before takeing money off you for a remap.
its weird thou coz i,ve taken it out 3 times now and booted it but not had the cap blow off, it doesnt smoke doesnt knock and runs well when driving, its just the idle.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 PM
juffer
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

what other tuners will map megasquirt?

Quick Reply: Car Mapped & Ready To Come Home