General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Shocking gas bill!

Search this Thread

Old 20-02-2009, 11:04 AM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Heating on 4.30 till 12 midnight is your problem

Is your water on for that lenght too or is it on a separate control?

Your bill sounds about right to me.

As for your stat being on 20 and your bedroom being 18 degrees, one can only assume your stat is either in the wrong place 9 not likely or your bedroom is colder than where the stat is for some reason, perhaps poorly sealed window maybe?
Old 20-02-2009, 11:09 AM
boost mad
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my gas bill was pretty huge this month, came to just over £80

Thrush, who are you with ?
Old 20-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Renton
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
That's a mighty long time for it to be on - eight hours solid!
Ours has been on 24/7 since 4th Dec when Indi was born.
Our gas bill for 7th Nov to 5th Feb, actual readings, is £445.22.
Old 20-02-2009, 12:45 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Renton
Ours has been on 24/7 since 4th Dec when Indi was born.
Our gas bill for 7th Nov to 5th Feb, actual readings, is £445.22.
you do realise that kiddies and babies and the like operate best at around the 18 degree c mark?

too hot and they can't lose the heat quickly enough as they tend to get wrapped up in big wooly blankets and the like

baby often lounges about the house in just a bodysuit and she's as happy as can be, in fact, both baby and junior kick off the covers when they are asleep at night whereas me and the mrs suffer because if they have to sleep in the same bed we can't put the duvet up
Old 20-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Lamb Souvla
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have pre paid meters as they were here when we moved in, was paying £40 a month for both elec and gas and had left over every month, we are now easily doing £130 on gas and £70 on elec, its alot of money but thats london.
Old 20-02-2009, 01:02 PM
Paulo P
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had my gas bill this morning and it was £416 for the last 1/4 When I looked into it they had estimated our useage and nearly doubled it! They had estimated we had used 385 units but we have actually only used 210 It's a week on since their estimate so the figure back then would have been lower.

One of my mates just called me and said his neighbour had been round asking him about his bills, he had changed to npower and his bills for the last 1/4 are £900 (£400 elec + £500 gas) and they are saying those figures are correct
Old 20-02-2009, 01:06 PM
dojj

i wouldn't touch npower with a bargepole mate, i'd rather freeze than use them

although i did have an electric bill once for £6000+ for a 1/4 based on the ammount i'd used the previous 1/4 due to 3 weeks worth of welding on the car that had consumed about £600 worth of leccy
Old 20-02-2009, 01:12 PM
XRdodgybird
Praise the XR!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always been told that the best way to run your boiler in the winter (I have a combi) is to have it on the lowest setting to heat the house, but to leave it on constantly. It worked for us last winter and because I am here for most of the day and then my partner and daughter are in on a night..... we can't really be switching it on and off all the time anyway.

Was £200 in credit before the winter, so will see what it works out at next time we get a bill.
Old 20-02-2009, 01:46 PM
danneth
TORQUE!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dojj
i wouldn't touch npower with a bargepole mate, i'd rather freeze than use them

although i did have an electric bill once for £6000+ for a 1/4 based on the ammount i'd used the previous 1/4 due to 3 weeks worth of welding on the car that had consumed about £600 worth of leccy

why from what im reading on here i dont seem to be doing to bad, i have an average 3 bedroom semi, heating is on roughly 12 hours a day 7 days a week, and im paying £60-70 a month doesn't seem to bad to me?

electric im using £20-40 a month
Old 20-02-2009, 02:52 PM
dojj

it took about 9 months from when they took over from british gas as gas and leccy providers for my house to get back the money that they said i owed them

basicly they switched providers without telling me so my garantee'd price thing with british gas went down the pan as my prices were fixed until the end of 2009

they then charged me £160 for a MONTH for gas and electric

then, when i complained about it, they did nothing other than to say "sorry" so not only was i out of pocket from losing my fixed rate of gas and leccy, they still wanted the money from me BUT british gas said that they were still providing me with gas and leccy so british gas ALSO wanted money off of me

and then, someone with an n-power badge barged into my house while my wife was there and basicly said he was there to collect the money i owed n-power (i posted about this at the time as well ebcause i had a very loud conversation with n-power before calling the police)

so no, i wouldn't touch them with a barge pole because they've probably cost me about £55 a month over nearly 2 years (which is what i would have been saving had i been with british gas for the duration)

Old 20-02-2009, 03:40 PM
Zetecfiesta
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by warrenpenalver
Wrong

pre-pay meters are for people who cant manage thier finances and for landlords convienience.

They also cost more per unit as well as the daily charge. so yes you get no bill, but you are paying more

Theres only one supplier who charges same rates for prepay and credit meters.

thats not really true, i work for Britsh Gas and some customers just like having prepayment meters just so they can budget themselves correctly through out the month! i think it takes more control of finances to have a prepayment as you need to know how much you can afford to keep the power on all the time! they do cost more per unit though.
Old 20-02-2009, 04:27 PM
Zetecfiesta
PassionFord Post Whore!!

best advice i can always give is allways make sure you provide your gas and electric providers with correct meter reads every quarter that way they dont have to estimate your bill, if you do get an estimated bill ring them and provide accurate readins that way you get the estimated bill removed and a fresh correct bill sent out. gas prices have gone up around 50% and we have just had one of the coldist winters in like 3 years so its not suprising everyones bills are high! mine are but ive got the direct debit so i pay a set amount, alot of people dont understand that when they have a direct debit the payments are meant to be spread over the 12mnths equally so yes you will put your account into credit in the summer but it does mean your payments wont go up in winter. day in day out i spend talking to customers as they want the credit back as they think we are earning intrest on it, we dont! also just because its in credit dont stop paying it or ask for it back because all that happens is because the credit isnt their to offset your winter bills the amount you have to pay at the most expensive time of the year goes up!!! most companies will refund you the credit if youve got far too much on the account. i always recomend that you get your boiler serviced at leaset once in a while, imagine you didnt service your car, how much extra petrol would you use and what damage you would cause to the engine, the same goes for your boiler! individual thermostats on each radiator are great whats the point in having a radiator turned up just to heat the back of a sofa or in a room you hardly!! combi boilers are better left on low rather than on or off as they waste more energy and money warming up from cold than you do just leaving it on low.
Old 20-02-2009, 04:41 PM
fez2i16v
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my gas is on a prepay meter and i put 20-30 a week on it and my leccy is 30 a month
Old 20-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
That's a mighty long time for it to be on - eight hours solid!
It's not ON on for 8hrs solid - its on thermostat, so once it gets to temp it only comes on now and again to maintain temp. For example, I've been home for an hour and it's clicked on twice for five mins or so at a time......
Old 20-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Thrush
Irritating c........
PassionFord Gold Member (Male)

Received 147 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Zetecfiesta
best advice i can always give is allways make sure you provide your gas and electric providers with correct meter reads every quarter that way they dont have to estimate your bill, if you do get an estimated bill ring them and provide accurate readins that way you get the estimated bill removed and a fresh correct bill sent out. gas prices have gone up around 50% and we have just had one of the coldist winters in like 3 years so its not suprising everyones bills are high! mine are but ive got the direct debit so i pay a set amount, alot of people dont understand that when they have a direct debit the payments are meant to be spread over the 12mnths equally so yes you will put your account into credit in the summer but it does mean your payments wont go up in winter. day in day out i spend talking to customers as they want the credit back as they think we are earning intrest on it, we dont! also just because its in credit dont stop paying it or ask for it back because all that happens is because the credit isnt their to offset your winter bills the amount you have to pay at the most expensive time of the year goes up!!! most companies will refund you the credit if youve got far too much on the account. i always recomend that you get your boiler serviced at leaset once in a while, imagine you didnt service your car, how much extra petrol would you use and what damage you would cause to the engine, the same goes for your boiler! individual thermostats on each radiator are great whats the point in having a radiator turned up just to heat the back of a sofa or in a room you hardly!! combi boilers are better left on low rather than on or off as they waste more energy and money warming up from cold than you do just leaving it on low.

Yeah I get that - and thats what I do. Soon as a bill comes in, I go and take meter readings and update them on the website and within a week I usually get a revised bill. Thats what I did this time and got fucked

I think it's time to get someone in to look at the stat tho as I don't think it's working right, and I don't think it has been for a while.....