General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

02 emissions-are you bothered?

Search this Thread

Old 29-01-2009, 06:16 PM
The Sludge
garibaldi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 02 emissions-are you bothered?

us being petrolheads do we seriously care? Selfish i know to sya this, but have you seen that new Government about checking your car and how friendly it is for pollution? Just checked it out.....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Environm...avel/DG_064428

Greener driving

A few changes to the way you drive could save you one month's worth of fuel over a year
The way you drive your car will affect how much fuel you use and the amount of emissions your car produces. By following the tips below you could save one month's worth of fuel over a year, as well as reducing your emissions: (by following this we would save 10 years money pmsl) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/00000954.gif)

driving smoothly can reduce fuel consumption - check the road ahead, anticipate traffic and avoid harsh acceleration and braking (doesnt make racing fun does it that)
shift to a higher gear at the right time - shift up at 2500rpm for petrol cars and 2000rpm for diesel cars. A vehicle travelling at 37mph in third gear uses 25 per cent more fuel than it would at the same speed in fifth gear (imagine what 2nd gear at 7000rpm does then)
get in and go - modern engines are designed to be most efficient when you just get in and go. Keeping the engine running or pumping the accelerator wastes fuel, increases engine wear and increases emissions (yes but anti-lag is fun)
switch your engine off if you know you won't be moving for a while (thats the M6 then)
check your tyre pressures regularly - under-inflated tyres can increase your fuel consumption by up to three per cent (good point, and doing burn outs wont be as good)
stick to the speed limits - at 70mph you could be using up to 30 per cent more fuel than at 50mph ( i wonder what we use at 140mph then )
remove unnecessary weight and roof racks - they increase the weight and air resistance so they increase the amount of fuel you use (AJ-youll have go on a diet )
air conditioning and other on-board electrical devices (like mobile phone chargers) increase fuel consumption, so only use them when necessary ( youll have to stop charging the pacemaker through the cigarette lighter)
Old 29-01-2009, 06:29 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's too general to apply to every car and situation, no doubt written by some dick who gets chauferred around everywhere.
I know a good way to cut CO2 etc supply decent public transport, I can't even get ot a town 15 miles away as there no buses at all, but there is to ohters at 10 miles and 20 miles.
Old 29-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Rax
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally i couldnt give a flying 4k.Its my car,I have payed for the fuel (which is to expensive in the first place) so I will burn it as I see fit.So what If anyone thinks I am selfish,tough. Greener driving my arse
Old 29-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Alan_D
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The people who care are the kind of people that you could liken to sheep.

Mindlessly follow what the media report, and what the government ram down their throats with taxes.

Try asking for absolute proof that we are damaging the planet in the way they say we are, and see how far you get.
Old 30-01-2009, 03:41 PM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

A car creates a bigger carbon footprint in its manufacture than it will on the road.

As i'm never going 2 buy a new car, they can fuck off. I dont give a shit how much co2 bollocks I throw out.
Old 30-01-2009, 03:47 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Cars, and their individual owners are much easier to target than big businesses, airlines etc. Sadly the idiots who lap up anything anti-car have latched onto this, and even sadder the car manufacturers are bowing down to them.

Cars are NOT the villains!!!

Read this:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle2195538.ece
Old 30-01-2009, 06:37 PM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

Maybe is those dumb bastards at whatever the ministry of transport has renamed themselves as now (think its VOSA) would realise that there is enough platinum in a cat converter to cover a tennis court & that a lot of modern cars can meet emission regulations without one then they would think that its a waste of precious metals & decide that new cars dont have to have them
Old 30-01-2009, 06:38 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

couldnt give a fook,theres things tht give out more CO2 thn our cars!
Old 30-01-2009, 06:49 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by haighlsby
A car creates a bigger carbon footprint in its manufacture than it will on the road.

As i'm never going 2 buy a new car, they can fuck off. I dont give a shit how much co2 bollocks I throw out.
So true, something like 80% of all energy consumed in a car's life is in its manufacture!

I've got 6 old cars, so I'm six times more enviromental than a mate of mine who owns a new Prius....
Old 30-01-2009, 07:21 PM
kosman
sideways all the way!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rax2wdrax
Personally i couldnt give a flying 4k.Its my car,I have payed for the fuel (which is to expensive in the first place) so I will burn it as I see fit.So what If anyone thinks I am selfish,tough. Greener driving my arse
+1
Old 30-01-2009, 07:47 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

cows farts give off more harmful gasses then cars do
Old 30-01-2009, 07:54 PM
Mr RS500
15K+ Super Poster!!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Its all bollocks that is used to TAX us more

Global warming ,,,,,,,, what happened to the ice age then ? who left the TV on standby in them days , lol,
Old 30-01-2009, 07:58 PM
orion_crazy_carl
orion=mini saff

they left the fire on standby
Old 30-01-2009, 10:19 PM
R5AAL
Part of the Furniture

If i am not mistaken it is the catalytic converter in our cars that actually create the C02 emmissions from the exhaust gasses entering them, fair enough the gasses entering them are prob pretty bad too but if its the dreaded C02 that they are worried about then we should all just de-cat and be allowed to roam free with our new found extra ponies!
Old 30-01-2009, 10:32 PM
righthooker
PassionFord Post Whore!!

no
Old 30-01-2009, 10:54 PM
haighlsby
PassionFord Regular

Cats change, among other things, Co into CO2, so it would be worse. But if they would stop packing cars with all this unnecessary shit, they would be lighter & therefore a smaller engine can be used which burns less fuel.

In the 70s Fiesta engines started at 850cc i think, but now u cant get one below 1.1L
Old 30-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Twellsie
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

fuck'em, i love the fact that some one who has a 4 litre X5 pays more road tax based on emissions an fuel consumption, when in reality my 15 year old sierra is just as bad, lol
Old 30-01-2009, 11:13 PM
purple_fiesta
No longer a ford owner ..

5th gear at just over 30mph fucking hell
Old 30-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Ade
Fast Ford snapper

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Cats change, among other things, Co into CO2, so it would be worse. But if they would stop packing cars with all this unnecessary shit, they would be lighter & therefore a smaller engine can be used which burns less fuel.

In the 70s Fiesta engines started at 850cc i think, but now u cant get one below 1.1L
Wouldn't suprise me if a 70s Fiesta 1.1 could outdrag a lard-arse new one too
Old 30-01-2009, 11:52 PM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

The biggest contribution anyone in government, and all these hippy freaks can make to reducing CO2 output, is to kill themselves.

When they are dead, they will no longer waste any of our valuable resources, leaving more for us to enjoy.

Yet do they do this ??? NO, the hypocrit fucks.
Old 31-01-2009, 12:00 AM
ECU Monitor Enthusiast
BANNED
BANNED

Everyone should be concerned about emmisions.

The less you emit, the more likely your engine is producing optimal power and it saves you money too..LOL
(within reason and limits)
Old 31-01-2009, 12:04 AM
pani_k
PassionFORD Member

Fuck emissions. I drive a 1.8 with decat but I bet a 4.0 V8 will still produce way more emissions than mine will. And how they fucking tax cars is beyond me. 2.0 turbo YB very emissions friendly isn't it yet because its before whatever year (2001?) it doesn't see the different tax band. Same as the same car produced before and after new tax rules e.g. E39 M5. Same car, same engine, same emissions, different tax depending on what year
Old 31-01-2009, 01:06 AM
nolanrst
Virgin

not being funny but i rekon it could do with getting warmer englands fucking frezzing so i say if we all organised to go out exactly same time for exactly the same anti lag rip we shud warm up a tad or to rev the bollocks off em fuck em
Old 31-01-2009, 07:11 AM
Oranoco
Professional Waffler

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by purple_fiesta
5th gear at just over 30mph fucking hell
Fucing Hell if I'm giving it a toe full I've only just grabbed 2nd gear

Have to be honest, and I get flack at work off the resident tree hugger, I really really couldn't give shit. I choose to drive what I do and I pay through the nose for that privilidge. I will therefore do what the Hell I like with it
Old 31-01-2009, 07:23 AM
Mr S1
Don't ask - I don't know

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Aircraft develop far more gases than cars and the Government have just given permission for a 3rd runway at Heathrow, so their stance seems a little hypocritical to me........I know what they're doing and why but if you're going to take the moral high ground you have to make sure you're squeaky clean first. Which the Government aren't.

Besides, Honda have developed a hydrogen car now anyway which emits no gases at all the only by-product being water and this is the way cars will ultimately head anyway and I don't see that as a bad thing. As technology progresses they'll soon have hydrogen powered cars with 400 horses so us petrolheads will be kept happy. Mind you, the oil powered cars will then find petrol or diesel even more expensive then as it'll be produced in much smaller quantities over time. Either way, I suspect all this is 20 years away yet and no doubt the oil compnaies will be paying someone to delay development so their profits stay intact !
Old 31-01-2009, 07:34 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Maybe is those dumb bastards at whatever the ministry of transport has renamed themselves as now (think its VOSA) would realise that there is enough platinum in a cat converter to cover a tennis court & that a lot of modern cars can meet emission regulations without one then they would think that its a waste of precious metals & decide that new cars dont have to have them
you aint being serious are you,,,, have you ever seen inside a cat ??

theres 3 different metals in a cat, platinum, rodium and paladium, the amount they put in the cat varies based on the price of the metals,,it dont make a difference how much they put in aslong as theres all 3 in there, washing a cat out with water will wash away the metals,,, its literally just plating them,,, there aint that much in there !!!!

why else can you buy cats from 45 quid !!!, oe cats contain more OBV but again not that much !!

also cars CAN meet emmisions BUT if theres a issue then it wont, a cat will aid this and allow to pass a MOT ! hence a good engine with a euro4 emissions ( 94 onwards) should be no more than 60hc,,,, yet the law on it is 200hc meaning a miss firing car will still pass,,, though when the cat fails due to it ( which it does) then fit a new cat and it passes again

just wait till 2011 with the NEW Euro emissions come into play,,, ecu's will have 1 lambda sensor per cylinder and the pistons are gonna be half the size to reduce weight to help get though them

theres part of it thats a good thing tbh, though the government only give a fuck about cashing in money !!!!
Old 31-01-2009, 07:36 AM
Graceland
Team HOTHOT!

Originally Posted by Twellsie
fuck'em, i love the fact that some one who has a 4 litre X5 pays more road tax based on emissions an fuel consumption, when in reality my 15 year old sierra is just as bad, lol
I have a 4.4 litre E39, I don't pay £400 road tax, a princly £185 for the privelege of providing a hot summer for everyone
Old 31-01-2009, 08:13 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

i think the next euro emissions came into effect in 2002 and thats why they made the car tax rule for that, emmissions is a good thing to consider,,, just a shame that its being used as a way to rape people of there money !!!!

but if they didnt do it then who would HONESTLY give a fuck about doing anything
Old 31-01-2009, 08:36 AM
stevieturbo
C**t

Received 259 Likes on 238 Posts

I do give a fuck.

Thats why any car I buy, will be older than 2002, cos until I become mega rich and dont care about money.....no way will I be paying that higher tax band
Old 31-01-2009, 06:54 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

there is enough platinum in a cat converter to cover a tennis court
Originally Posted by Ginge !
you aint being serious are you,,,, have you ever seen inside a cat ??

theres 3 different metals in a cat, platinum, rodium and paladium, the amount they put in the cat varies based on the price of the metals,,it dont make a difference how much they put in aslong as theres all 3 in there, washing a cat out with water will wash away the metals,,, its literally just plating them,,, there aint that much in there !!!!!
he doesn't say how thinly it would cover a tennis court. in theory it could cover 1000 tennis courts and more
Old 31-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

I recycle thats all i give a toss about! The worlds been spinning for how many millions of years? And we are here for 75 if we are lucky, thats a mere quick visit! Lifes too short to worry about the people in 2250! Some silly cunt will have blown us up by then anyway!
Old 23-03-2009, 01:45 AM
tejy
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the government are just finding ways to get money from the average person. 1st speed camera, then congestion charge n now increasing tax. i atually hate the government always finding ways to take money from us!
Old 23-03-2009, 08:21 AM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by that bloke in the paper
Fresh research published in New Scientistlast month suggested that 1kg of meat cost the Earth 36kg in global warming gases. The figure was based on Japanese methods of industrial beef production but Mr Goodall says that farming techniques are similar throughout the West.
What if, instead of beef, the walker drank a glass of milk? The average person would need to drink 420ml – three quarters of a pint – to recover the calories used in the walk. Modern dairy farming emits the equivalent of 1.2kg of CO2 to produce the milk, still more pollution than the car journey.
Cattle farming is notorious for its perceived damage to the environment, based on what scientists politely call “methane production” from cows. The gas, released during the digestive process, is 21 times more harmful than CO2 . Organic beef is the most damaging because organic cattle emit more methane.
Michael O’Leary, boss of the budget airline Ryanair, has been widely derided after he was reported to have said that global warming could be solved by massacring the world’s cattle. “The way he is running around telling people they should shoot cows,” Lawrence Hunt, head of Silverjet, another budget airline, told the Commons Environmental Audit Committee. “I do not think you can really have debates with somebody with that mentality.”

so going to the drive through is the worst of all then eh