General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Recession my arse...

Search this Thread

Old 23-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Neil Clark
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recession my arse...

Want my facia's and guttering doing on house (plastic). Had two companies round to quote and told them what i want, also mentioned it would be cash. They both havn't bothered to get back to me at all, no quote even.

Dont need the work then!, rant over lol
Old 23-01-2009, 06:23 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil Clark
Want my facia's and guttering doing on house (plastic). Had two companies round to quote and told them what i want, also mentioned it would be cash. They both havn't bothered to get back to me at all, no quote even.

not all people are suffering but people without work and jobs on the line would argue theres a recession. a friend at works wife applied for a job the other day, turned out 1500 other people did too, not easy finding work now is it?
Old 23-01-2009, 06:30 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

fookin ell 1500 for 1 job?! even the fire service cant beat that! Where was it?
Old 23-01-2009, 06:39 PM
Big G
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ballin
Oiler for Playboy
Old 23-01-2009, 06:47 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

guessing london somewhere as he lives barnet, it was an office job but they said loads of bank managers etc had applied
Old 23-01-2009, 07:21 PM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

guessing she applied for " big brother"

theres a job going at my work if anyones interested,,,, may even be 2 aswell

down side is its a shite place to work, loads of stress, people you work with stab you in the back and the management dont give a fuck unless there boss tells em to

oh and they pay is less now too due to more people looking for work,,, yes i kid you not we are paying less due to this " recession",,,, yet are targets are higher this year too :Wall:
Old 23-01-2009, 07:26 PM
e30cossie
E36 cosworth

I work for a air conditioning company and there are 2 sides ,install and service.
Install work is quite and the service work is better than ever. I think a lot of people do not want to spend out on new equipment so are spending money trying to get a longer life out of their old stuff.

Trending Topics

Old 23-01-2009, 07:45 PM
JoeRS22
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Originally Posted by e30cossie
I work for a air conditioning company and there are 2 sides ,install and service.
Install work is quite and the service work is better than ever. I think a lot of people do not want to spend out on new equipment so are spending money trying to get a longer life out of their old stuff.
Great isnt it, but they still moan at the repair bill.
Old 23-01-2009, 08:18 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

when i posted about a guy who was quoting me MORE for a job when the work was slack rather than less to keep going, peole said i was talking bollocks
Old 23-01-2009, 08:20 PM
C4llyT
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Dojj they use that reply without reading what you've put, so don't take it to heart
Old 23-01-2009, 08:22 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by e30cossie
me too. we've got a lot of work on at the moment converting R22 units
Old 23-01-2009, 08:31 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by C4llyT
Dojj they use that reply without reading what you've put, so don't take it to heart
i realise that

but basicly the guy wanted Ł500 for it one week, then Ł600 2 weeks later as "i've got no work so got to get the money from somewhere" rather than accept the Ł400 i was prepared to give him to keep 2 guys employed for 2 days doing the job

but that's typical english/british business sense, do as little as possible for as much profit as yu can screw out of the customer rather than do as much as you can to keep busy and keep your customers coming back/recomending you to others
Old 23-01-2009, 08:34 PM
coleman
Always in the background

It was for the job of my personal fluffer
Old 23-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Sometimes when we go to look at a job and the guy at the house says '' it will be cash '' or ''pound notes lads'' etc it usually means 'i want the job doing the best you can for fuck all' and a lot of time we dont bother to send a quote either!

Maybe you gave that impression? Seems strange both havent got back?
Old 23-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

the core of my work (30%-40%) has gone from wiring extensions and kitchens to right small jobs (3-4hrs or so) and rewires,in fact i have done more rewires as in the last 4 months than the last 2 years

seems as people arent being lent the money they seem to still have it(around here at least) but are only willing to spend it on neccessary stuff

Old 23-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Neil Clark

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
Sometimes when we go to look at a job and the guy at the house says '' it will be cash '' or ''pound notes lads'' etc it usually means 'i want the job doing the best you can for fuck all' and a lot of time we dont bother to send a quote either!

Maybe you gave that impression? Seems strange both havent got back?
Maybe....

I told them they can do job when they want to suit them and money will be ready at the end to pickup sort of thing, its not a massive job but its 2 days work for someone...

This credit crunch dont seem to of hit derby that bad so far tho (thank god!)

Last edited by Neil Clark; 23-01-2009 at 09:38 PM.
Old 23-01-2009, 10:00 PM
R6Franky
Part of the Furniture

There's a high percentage of the (derby) population working for rolls royce still able to spend as usual keeping things ticking over. I work for them up here in sunderland and we have yet to feel the pinch of the recession. Engine orders for aeroplanes can't be cancelled as quick as someone wanting to buy a nissan micra. Another month and I think Rolls could be due some redundancys. Hoping there's plenty old timers wanting to volunteer to make up most of the numbers.
Old 23-01-2009, 10:38 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

dojj- i find if you aint desperate for work at times when people offer you it prices maybe higher as your not needing the wrk and appreciate your weekends to yourself etc, but then again i dont price much diff tbh, i price to what i feel a days worth of a tradesman is worth, a Ł100 a day for a qualified self employed tradesman wont buy a good trademan from my experience but then without knowing people in the game you could always pay top mony for a cowboy which is the risk, recommendations is good thing but norm isnt cheap . if i was having work done id ring round the best people i know and wouldnt expect to pay less than Ł200 a day as i know they'd turn out twice the work and twice the quality tbh, but then im in the trade
Old 23-01-2009, 10:41 PM
FastFordChris

had a bloke knocking on the door today asking if we needed ours doing, said he hadn;t worked in two weeks and was desperate. said he'd do it today even tho it was pissing down lol wanted 200 for the lot, can give you his details if you want?
Old 23-01-2009, 11:04 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Originally Posted by rst in breaking
dojj- i find if you aint desperate for work at times when people offer you it prices maybe higher as your not needing the wrk and appreciate your weekends to yourself etc, but then again i dont price much diff tbh, i price to what i feel a days worth of a tradesman is worth, a Ł100 a day for a qualified self employed tradesman wont buy a good trademan from my experience but then without knowing people in the game you could always pay top mony for a cowboy which is the risk, recommendations is good thing but norm isnt cheap . if i was having work done id ring round the best people i know and wouldnt expect to pay less than Ł200 a day as i know they'd turn out twice the work and twice the quality tbh, but then im in the trade
if only everyone saw it that way fella we would all have a decent wage and be proud of a good job done.unfortunateley it aint always so,a plumber i do a lot of work with (probably the best round here) said a bloke asked him to price a job that he knows he cannot touch the other prices hes had so far but can he anyway,wasted 2hrs looking and pricing only to have him try knock him down cos he knows work is drying up.i told him i was expecting these types to crawl out from under the rocks soon and now they are
Old 23-01-2009, 11:08 PM
rst in breaking
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Cragrat
if only everyone saw it that way fella we would all have a decent wage and be proud of a good job done.unfortunateley it aint always so,a plumber i do a lot of work with (probably the best round here) said a bloke asked him to price a job that he knows he cannot touch the other prices hes had so far but can he anyway,wasted 2hrs looking and pricing only to have him try knock him down cos he knows work is drying up.i told him i was expecting these types to crawl out from under the rocks soon and now they are
there maybe a bright side in a few years and a boom in the trade though, soo many people cant get work atm and doing other work, im guessing not many people doing apprenticeships when theres no work so hopefully in a few years there will be a boom due to no new tradesmen perhaps?
Old 23-01-2009, 11:13 PM
alexno1dj
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

I run a landscaping and garden maintenance business, almost gave up hope but today, for some bizarre reason ive had three job enquiries! its such a crap time of year at the moment, my trade always has a slump over the winter, but never this bad.
Old 23-01-2009, 11:14 PM
Fezza
H71 CNX

Originally Posted by coleman
It was for the job of my personal fluffer
Sorry for the off topic but..... you NEED a fluffer?

Try some little blue pills

j/k
Old 23-01-2009, 11:15 PM
Cragrat
sit boo boo sit

Originally Posted by rst in breaking
there maybe a bright side in a few years and a boom in the trade though, soo many people cant get work atm and doing other work, im guessing not many people doing apprenticeships when theres no work so hopefully in a few years there will be a boom due to no new tradesmen perhaps?

what i cannot comprehend is the fact there is supposed to be a housing shortage and no bugger is now building or buying them,how can something that is meant to be a shortage of be dropping in value..............oh yeah i know its cos the banks are screwing us over and not offering the mortgages cos the govt` is too spineless to tell em to after giving them billions of our money for their balls up,sublime to rediculous methinks!!
Old 23-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by alexno1dj
I run a landscaping and garden maintenance business, almost gave up hope but today, for some bizarre reason ive had three job enquiries! its such a crap time of year at the moment, my trade always has a slump over the winter, but never this bad.
We were getting worried, only had work up until about end feb. Now we are booked up till about end august, beggining sept! Cant grumble with that in these times!
Old 23-01-2009, 11:35 PM
alexno1dj
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by Lee Reynolds
We were getting worried, only had work up until about end feb. Now we are booked up till about end august, beggining sept! Cant grumble with that in these times!
Yeah, dont think ive been quite as fortunate as you. How long you been going for?
Old 23-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Lee Reynolds
Professional Waffler

Originally Posted by alexno1dj
Yeah, dont think ive been quite as fortunate as you. How long you been going for?
Been in business 3 years almost. Im a builder though not a Gardener, with my kind of work it only takes a couple of jobs to get booked up for a few months!
Old 24-01-2009, 11:44 AM
Rich_w
Proven Legendary Status

I told them they can do job when they want to suit them and money will be ready at the end to pickup sort of thing,

That's probably a good idea. Let them know you'll pay. When would you expect to pay normally? 6 months time

In fairness, maybe they are just really busy. Good trades people tend to be.
Old 24-01-2009, 01:25 PM
fuzzy
14000+ post superhero

Received 490 Likes on 383 Posts

Maybe....

I told them they can do job when they want to suit them and money will be ready at the end to pickup sort of thing, its not a massive job but its 2 days work for someone...

This credit crunch dont seem to of hit derby that bad so far tho (thank god!)
more likely theyre concentrating on regular client work rather than the odd days work from random callers. sometimes they cant spare anyone and starting someone else isnt practical if they dont have anything else to follow up.
Old 24-01-2009, 01:36 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

where are u ? ill price it up 4u fella things r quiet!
Old 24-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Neil Clark

Originally Posted by rscombi.
where are u ? ill price it up 4u fella things r quiet!
Derby mate, Breadsall

07815 195243
Old 25-01-2009, 01:07 PM
rscombi.
PassionFord Regular

bit to far! im in kent lol,