General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

NHS resources and people who dont help themselves?

Search this Thread

Old 20-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Mondeo man, first part of the last paragraph of my original post:

Would be almost impossible to legislate

I dont think its actually a practical thing to do really, I just wondered in principle if peopel were for or against the idea.
Old 20-01-2009, 03:46 PM
northerner
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've long held the view that the NHS should provide a 2 tier service:

*The top tier for workers/tax paying families, oap's who have paid NI during their working life and 1 years credit for people who have been made redundant.

*The lower tier will be for long term unemployed, people with self inflicted injuries, immigrants and people who haven't contributed to this country.

The problem is that patients are only part of the problem with the NHS.

If I was in chanrge, i'd terminate GP contracts and replace them with less lucrative contracts and have them reporting to a PCT. Make Hospital doctors spend more time working for the NHS instead of private work. Coupled with cutting out a fat layer of middle management out and the NHS will save billions.

Rant over.
Old 20-01-2009, 03:47 PM
spinus
Part of the Furniture

Theres a bloke opposite me got his own car, he,s about 30 stone goes fishing every chance he gets. driving himself .goes and gets so hammered he cant open his front door ,on full disability and every time he has a hospital appointment they fetch and return him in a ambulance! who said being a fat lazy drunk dont pay
Old 20-01-2009, 03:48 PM
truthordare
Omnomnomnom

I agree with Chip, I was in Hospital just last week with blood clots in my legs, I am not overweight but I am 5 months pregnant (there's the cause) on the same ward as me was a real big fat girl who was in for the same thing (she thought) she said she had been in a few times and they hadn't been able to find anything wrong with her, they discharged us both at the same time after giving me something to thin my blood and lots of advice on what to do if it happens again (I hope it doesn't its bloody painful!!) and they basically told her there was nothing wrong with her other than that she was too fat and that's why her legs hurt. I wouldn't mind if you had to pay for treatment in the UK, it would get rid of all the spongers.

Debs
Old 20-01-2009, 03:49 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
Mondeo man, first part of the last paragraph of my original post:

Would be almost impossible to legislate

I dont think its actually a practical thing to do really, I just wondered in principle if peopel were for or against the idea.
I know what you said, I was agreeing with the sentiment but echoing your concern about implementation
Old 20-01-2009, 03:52 PM
northerner

Originally Posted by Mondeo Man
I know what you said, I was agreeing with the sentiment but echoing your concern about implementation
Implement a points scoring system - that should sort the wheat from the chaff
Old 20-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I agree in part with what your saying Chip but the biggest waste of money in the NHS is the bureaucracy.
Just look, for example, at the NHS headquarters in Leeds. The building is topped by a stainless sculpture that cost 220k and has a 25m heated 24/7 swimming pool for employee only use. Its a right fucking gravy train!

The no win no fee legal parasites are the second most damaging thing to the NHS as everyone has to cover their backs all the time on the chance of a case being brought.

The dental crisis of the last 15 years can solely be attributed to the 1700%, yes seventeen hundred percent, increase in claims brought against dentists in the last 15 years. Medical defense fees have skyrocketed from a few hundred pounds per annum to many thousands.
Old 20-01-2009, 04:20 PM
It's Czech Mate

Received 102 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by northerner
Implement a points scoring system - that should sort the wheat from the chaff
I'm not sure I can see how?

The distinction between self inflicted and not is very unclear.
Old 20-01-2009, 04:25 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

i would rather the NHS was scrapped and individuals had to pay for their own health insurance - then the premium you pay should be based upon your lifestyle choices.
Old 20-01-2009, 04:26 PM
Kamike

I dont think you could ever turn some one away who needed medical care due to it being self inflicted like say being obese but there could be done to help solve the problem. Obeses people who work should be made to pay more NI untill they fall below the weight limit etc

Hit people where it hurts the most (the wallet) after all this country is very good at doing that.
Old 20-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Cam
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
i would rather the NHS was scrapped and individuals had to pay for their own health insurance - then the premium you pay should be based upon your lifestyle choices.
Thats coming for sure along with not just lifestyle choice but also DNA profiling being used to calculate insurance premiums.

Several health authorites to my knowledge have collated anonomous DNA data that has then been sold to insurance companies.
In time (will require new legislation) when your born you have a DNA test that will throw up any propensity to a particular illness.
Old 20-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu @ M Developments
Agree 100% with chip.
Me too
Originally Posted by Chip
ANYONE in the UK who is a smoker currently, KNOWS they are risking lung cancer.
EXACTLY!!!!! thier own fault!!!

Originally Posted by Turbocabbie
What about track days... an accident on a track day where you go in effect to drive at speeds which would be dangerous and illegal on a public road. Would a crash here be considered self inflicted?
Sports would IMO have to be graded. Sure certain extreme sports may be considered too dangerous, but in almost all sports, injurys are to be avoided and in most cases the benefits of exercise and sport over a lifetime far exceed the costs of injurys from those sports. Motorsport is relatively safe, as are trackdays.

Originally Posted by FastFordChris
the thing is, alcoholism is classed as a disease and that means anyone that is an alchoholic can claim full benifits and get housing with little or no questions asked.
Oh and round my way alcoholics get paid £10 A DAY additional benefits to fund thier habbit. Thier arguement is its cheaper to pay a benefit than paying for the effects of crime caused to feed the habbit.

In some ways they are right, but it highlights the incredible fucked up state our society has got to!!!!

I imagine heroin on prescription would reduce a SHIT load of crime in financial terms, but theyd have to sort a treatment program weaning them off heroin onto methadone and then off that.

Originally Posted by Cam
I agree in part with what your saying Chip but the biggest waste of money in the NHS is the bureaucracy.
Just look, for example, at the NHS headquarters in Leeds. The building is topped by a stainless sculpture that cost 220k and has a 25m heated 24/7 swimming pool for employee only use. Its a right fucking gravy train!
EXACTLY, not to mention the increasing and spiralling contracting out policys mean that some of the funding is going as pure profit in the pockets of business'. Personally i think all the NHS services should be run as part of a nonprofit government organisation so that all money goes into the health care.

This doesnt mean we cant use business models to improve efficiency, derive targets etc, but just not give money to greedy companys who maximise profits and lower standards as far as they can get away with.