General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

best broadband/phone package deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts
Default best broadband/phone package deal?

just moved and have no internet access or landline at the mo, have to use my mobile for web but its very limited. So wondered who is best in your experiances for an unlimited broadband and phone with free evening and weekend calls. So many now as in virgin,talk talk, bt home hub, sky etc. All opinions and experiances welcome, cheers.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Dangerous Malcolm..
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Virgin's got some good deals on at the minute, and they're doing that silly fast broadband as well.

We've currently got Sky right now but could be swapping very soon. Have a look on Digital Spy, they've usually got loads of threads on the latest deals.

Edit - http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/

Last edited by Dangerous Malcolm..; 12-01-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 12-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Lee Ivatt
Shizzle My Nizzle

Arr night mare, im trying to sort mine out at the minuite.

Ive just spent the last hour on the phone to BT trying to sort mine out.

I have a business brodband which is Ł85 per 1/4 and a business line which is Ł80 per 1/4. so im paying Ł165 per 1/4

After been passed around to about 10 different people from a call center in india, im none the wiser.

My question was "can i consilidate my broadband and phone package and also make it resedential? as im paying far too much"

anyone would think i ask them a question on quamtum physics

Then the say sorry sir you are in a 12 months contract untill may.

"but i didnt sign anything"

"you dont have to sir, its an unwritten contract"

All i want to do is phone BT and speak to one person and lower my price, how can they make it so difficult!!!!???
Old 12-01-2009, 05:36 PM
DAN400
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i ve went with post office,should be connected on wednesday,alot of mate s went with them and said it was very good, and they were very helpful
Old 12-01-2009, 05:39 PM
DAN400
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
Arr night mare, im trying to sort mine out at the minuite.

Ive just spent the last hour on the phone to BT trying to sort mine out.

I have a business brodband which is Ł85 per 1/4 and a business line which is Ł80 per 1/4. so im paying Ł165 per 1/4

After been passed around to about 10 different people from a call center in india, im none the wiser.

My question was "can i consilidate my broadband and phone package and also make it resedential? as im paying far too much"

anyone would think i ask them a question on quamtum physics

Then the say sorry sir you are in a 12 months contract untill may.

"but i didnt sign anything"

"you dont have to sir, its an unwritten contract"

All i want to do is phone BT and speak to one person and lower my price, how can they make it so difficult!!!!???
i ve only ever heard bad reports about bt
Old 12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Robs Frst
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been with sky broadband, using a BT for the landline.
Never had problems, unlited access anytime, Sky TV
Old 12-01-2009, 06:24 PM
900ss
RWD Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee Ivatt
after been passed around to about 10 different people from a call center in india, im none the wiser.
I just come off the phone to the same guy lol, he was in India
This was with virgin tho.
Seems my trial 3 mth tv upgrade package has jumped from Ł3 to Ł4.50 ??
Is also shown as a min 12 mth contract ??? but atleast they will call me back in 24hr lol
Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 PM
bigjim172000
Me Cossie Runs Atlast!!!!

I have NEVER had a problem with BT, been with them for 5 years now, had the top broadband package all the time and i regularly get phone calls saying they are discounting it and giving me a free this and that. Cant fault them
Old 14-01-2009, 01:11 PM
M K
10K+ Poster!!

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

will have a more in depth look into all the 1s mentioned , thanks
Old 14-01-2009, 02:37 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just subscribed to O2 last week Marc over at my new house on Wick Meadows, up to 20mb for Ł9.79 a month. So far all good, obviously not getting full 20mb but speedtest is showing 11Mb which is all good . UK Call centre as well!!!
Old 14-01-2009, 02:46 PM
Chopshop85
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

which ever you do pick, dont be suckered in by promises of 20 or 50mb connection speeds, whatever the providers are offering these days.
9 times out of 10 you may get this connection speed but your ul and dl will be capped at around 6mb, so the main reasons most people want fast internet (i.e downloading stuff) is pointless.

Also, there is no such thing as unlimited downloads. If you download quite a lot of music, videos, software etc.. and exceed X amount (varies by supplier) the companies will accuse you of network hosting and lower your connection speed even more.

just go with the cheapest company thats willing to throw in the most goodies... except for BT. Had a few home hubs and nothing but problems with disconnecting and not recognizing receivers etc.
Old 14-01-2009, 06:01 PM
cosevo
Advanced PassionFord User

I'm with Virgin Media, have XXL package 20mb, clocks in around 6.5mb, all unlimited etc, been with em 6 years now, been fine, no problems, but I do pay Ł55 with line rental and VAT, (without calls), checked website the other week and they are doing a deal for same package for Ł20, rang them and they said its for new customers, I told them I will cancel and the give it a week and be a new customer, they said they wouldnt allow that, so said well if you have no loyalty to existing customers then please cancel my line immediately, to which they replied "no problem, just transferring you to the cancellation dept", not even an offer of a slightly better deal, wankers, I hung up then though as couldn't be without internet, but now dont know what to do, have an old BT line in but not been active for 6 years
Old 14-01-2009, 09:16 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Chopshop85
which ever you do pick, dont be suckered in by promises of 20 or 50mb connection speeds, whatever the providers are offering these days.
9 times out of 10 you may get this connection speed but your ul and dl will be capped at around 6mb, so the main reasons most people want fast internet (i.e downloading stuff) is pointless.

Also, there is no such thing as unlimited downloads. If you download quite a lot of music, videos, software etc.. and exceed X amount (varies by supplier) the companies will accuse you of network hosting and lower your connection speed even more.

just go with the cheapest company thats willing to throw in the most goodies... except for BT. Had a few home hubs and nothing but problems with disconnecting and not recognizing receivers etc.
How can Virgin not offer 20mb or 50mb via the proper fibre infrastructure they have in place? Im on 20mb and i get 17mb no problems at all and the new 50mb is being rolled out at the minute and If I got 40mb on that I would be happy. It took me 27 minutes to download the windows 7 beta (3gb).

BT phoneline based broadband is a bit of a lottery with what speed you will acheive, there is a web page www.samknows which will tell you what is available and another site which can tell how far from your local exchange is and what speed you are like to receive on a BT landline. Distance is not important with Virgin.

The last thing to check is what your usage limits are as some companies will charge you for going over these and some will reduce your speed temoorary.
Old 14-01-2009, 09:17 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by cosevo
I'm with Virgin Media, have XXL package 20mb, clocks in around 6.5mb, all unlimited etc, been with em 6 years now, been fine, no problems, but I do pay Ł55 with line rental and VAT, (without calls), checked website the other week and they are doing a deal for same package for Ł20, rang them and they said its for new customers, I told them I will cancel and the give it a week and be a new customer, they said they wouldnt allow that, so said well if you have no loyalty to existing customers then please cancel my line immediately, to which they replied "no problem, just transferring you to the cancellation dept", not even an offer of a slightly better deal, wankers, I hung up then though as couldn't be without internet, but now dont know what to do, have an old BT line in but not been active for 6 years

Go to www.speedtest.net and try a test to the london server, you should see a lot more than 6.5mb. If you are seeing that, then you have a problem, you arent using wireless are you?
Old 14-01-2009, 09:48 PM
cfoster
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just did my speedtest wirelessly and getting 10.5Mb download speed!!
Old 15-01-2009, 01:32 AM
cosevo

heres the test results, ive always downloaded quite a bit, i mean i go in phases of just using normal internet, and then may download 30gb in a few days or something.
Plus other half watches loads of stuff on the i-player.

And its not wireless, but modem is 5/6 year old webstar thingy

results below, bear in mind its 2:30am, but this is my general speed all the time

Old 15-01-2009, 10:41 AM
AJ_ERST
Regular Contributor

You should have stayed on the line... its the cancelation dept that make the discounts if you are thinking of leaving. I would try again and see what they say.
Old 15-01-2009, 11:50 AM
cosevo

Maybe I should ring them again then. In the very near future I want to go wireless for my laptop, the main computer doesnt need to be, but want the laptop wireless as it will be linked to the tv, and also want to be able to use it while at work in my van, so would it be best getting BT line reactivated and go with someone else, like 02 for example, and get the whole deal much cheaper.
Also are there any download limits on 02
Old 15-01-2009, 06:13 PM
tonyk
PassionFord Post Whore!!

heres the test results, ive always downloaded quite a bit, i mean i go in phases of just using normal internet, and then may download 30gb in a few days or something.
Plus other half watches loads of stuff on the i-player.

And its not wireless, but modem is 5/6 year old webstar thingy

results below, bear in mind its 2:30am, but this is my general speed all the time

You are probably going over the allowed download limits, then they are restricting your speed to 5mb. There is also a chance that your modem does not support 20mb and thus you are not getting the full speed. Ring them up and get a replacement modem for free.

I dont know how you are paying Ł55 for broadband, they offer the new 50mb and telephone for Ł35! Give them a ring and change your package to something like 3 large services for Ł38, Ł45 after 6 months.
Old 15-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Daz-rst
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

just moved int my new house with the missus, so need to set up internet. i assume i have to phone bt and tell them to connect the line up first before i sort out my internet provider?

also whos best to go with for playing online on the ps3?? not to bothered about having a home phone as use me mobile more and is easier. my mother-in-law is with orange and the speedtest is showing 976kb/sec download which pants.

cheers
daz
Old 15-01-2009, 08:10 PM
cosevo

will contact them about a modem upgrade and see what they say, the Ł55 is roughly about what it is, thats just broadband, and line rental, and VAT, but does not include any phonecalls.

Will post here if I get a reply
Old 15-01-2009, 08:52 PM
STEVEST24
ST by Name and by Nature

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I've been with BT for 14 months no problems, equipment turned up on time, easy to install. I got one their BT Vision boxes as well as was only Ł30 and it a PVR as well. The only problems I've had are sometimes the BT Vision box or phone into BT broadband box freezes, but just do a reset and works O.K.
As this my first trip into broadband went with BT as you got free router and security software when I took out my deal.

May look at O2 when current BT contract runs out in few months as broadband alot cheaper now.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:02 PM
SS1
10K+ Poster!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Handy linky Broadband Download Monitor from the gadget show

http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/pa...d-monitor.html

Old 17-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Ginge !
just finding my feet

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im paying 30 quid for 20meg bb and xl tv package,,,,,,, but they fucked me about for a month to connect me, they also gave me a hd+ box foc toobut that deal ends in febuary,,,, i fuckinG HATE virgin,,,, they are tossers to get hold of, the engineers never showed up and claimed i wasnt home, they never installed the new modem saying " it aint really needed tbh", they cost me over 300 quid in mobile calls to there 0845 number !!!!

they wouldnt even give me the print on screen of there agreement they told me,,, and kept changing there minds, 3 months later they wacked the bill back up and said i couldnt cancel as im in a 1 year contract,,,, i told em to get fucked and so they agreed to go back

WORST company in the world, call centres in scotland, birmingham, india and south africa ive spoken to so far !!!