General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Pug 306td - anyone had one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 07:08 AM
SteveH
BANNED
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pug 306td - anyone had one?

Got a problem with the 306 (turbo diesel XU engine non HDI) in that the heater is utter cack! Literally blowing stone cold this morning! Checked coolant, plenty in, and bled a tiny bit of air out of the top of the system (I know they can be bastards to bleed right) which helped slightly but hardly at all, its now tepid....
Gonna pull the pipes off the heater and run some water both ways through the heater matrix later, any other suggestions?

Also, as its coming up for a cambelt Im tempted to kick the fuel pump timing on a tooth as ive been told it'll give it a bit extra oomph. Any dangers in this? I expect it'll smoke like a chimney and fail the MOT on emissions though. That said, im not entirely convinced its in the right place as is, its flat as fuck.

Any ideas welcomed

Steve
Old 09-01-2009, 07:49 AM
philpy-si
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine did this and it turned out to be the heater matrix, For a week or so there was no heat and it started using water a bit. As I was selling it I through some rad weld in the matrix and it was fine!

As for making it quicker, Im not sure your idea is the best way to go. You can wind the boost up a little bit and also increase the fuel to match.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:35 AM
Matt Evans
Black Country RSOC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Different car i know (but almost identical under the bonnet), but My 406 TD had the same, the only way i could bleed all the air out of the system was by jacking the n/s/f of the car sky high on the biggest jack i had!

I was sceptical but it cured my shit heater!

(by the way, id got air in in because id done a coolant change as part of the major service)
Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Barry_GTi
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These are fiddly to bleed, you need to jam a bottle in the header tank upside down with the bottom cut off. Then fill with water, so that the water level is higher than all points in the cooling system, now open the bleed points and shut them off when water flows free of air.

It is a good idea to flush the matrix anyway though.

As for tuning, search on Google, don't just set pump timing off. We done it on a Citroen ZX for a bit of fun and it is now running 19psi and goes like a cut cat, needs a better intercooler now though. That car is on almost 300,000km's too. You adjust the main fuel screw, boost compensator and the actuator for turbo, bit by bit till your happy. You will be amazed.