General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

pre and post i/c temps

Search this Thread

Old 26-11-2008, 08:44 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts
Default pre and post i/c temps

can anyone how has had this post ehre to confirm please

outside temps being higher than the cool side of the i/c

as in, it's 6 or 7 degrees outside but the i/c temps are reading lower

i've had this on the tt sierra many a time in the middle of the night on a long motorway cruise where the inlet temps were shown to be cooler than the extrenal temp gauge readings and i'm sure a few peole can confirm this in my motor
Old 26-11-2008, 08:46 PM
rapidcossie
10K+ Poster!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wind chill!

Ie your going 70mph
Old 26-11-2008, 08:46 PM
JTECH James
Passion for Fords!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what do you want to know?

yes it is quite normal
Old 26-11-2008, 08:53 PM
westus1
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think i'm missing something here
is this a question or a statement?
Old 26-11-2008, 08:55 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

so you're telling me that air at temperature x can cool down other air to temperature x-y?

if that were the case, why are we wasting so much electricity to run our fridges? we could just put our cheese out in the wind in summer

did you never learn that you cannot create or destroy energy, only move it and that heat energy can only move to a place of lower temperature (in simplistic terms)? nature abhors a vacuum.
Old 27-11-2008, 06:21 AM
dojj

Originally Posted by rapidcossie
wind chill!

Ie your going 70mph
Originally Posted by JTECHSAFF
what do you want to know?

yes it is quite normal
thank you

Originally Posted by foreigneRS
so you're telling me that air at temperature x can cool down other air to temperature x-y?

if that were the case, why are we wasting so much electricity to run our fridges? we could just put our cheese out in the wind in summer

did you never learn that you cannot create or destroy energy, only move it and that heat energy can only move to a place of lower temperature (in simplistic terms)? nature abhors a vacuum.
i understand what you are saying, even if i can't explain it the way i want to

but

out on the road you will be getting a lot more air flow when you are doing 70 mph over the i/c than you will get generated by any sort of fan wheeled out in front of a set of rollers that i have seen (and no, i'm not included wind tunnels etc )

so this is what i was trying to work out in the rolling road thread posted by chip

surely it would make sense to measure the tempreture of the air once it's gone through the i/c as opposed to the temprature at the air filter

or at least put a temp probe before and after to see what the drop is across the inlet
Old 27-11-2008, 08:00 PM
foreigneRS
Testing the future

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

it doesn't matter how much air flow you have dojj, you cannot get air out of the intercooler at a lower temperature than the wind going through it unless you expand it or add something that expands (NOS as an example) or some other addition to take energy out of it. it's very basic physics mate and if you or anyone thinks they have seen it happen then you are mistaken and haven't fully understood the measurement processes going on.
Old 27-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Rod-Tarry
Happily retired

Received 237 Likes on 151 Posts

Dojj
Take some Valium, go to bed & dont worry about it mate, Cars are for drivin not worrying about these technical quirks. If your on this Forum you realise that talking about your car is prefered to actually drivin it, its the way the internet has changed the average Petrolhead, 30 years back we took to the streets to see who had the fastest car, today we talk/argue about it on here, well I suppose its cheaper.
Old 28-11-2008, 08:16 AM
dojj

my daily drive drives very nicely now it's got a new steering rack in it

i'm going to pop outside and clean the wheels if i can find a squirty bottle hiding in the corners somewhere

on the other hand, i do see your point, i can't drive the car until it's got an mot
i can't mot the car until i fix the brakes, i can't fix the brakes until i drill off the locking wheel nuts, and it's too cold in the garage

and the ohter one needs a loom, and a gearbox, and a sump, and engine mounts