General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

LPG / Petrol question

Search this Thread

Old 17-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LPG / Petrol question

Do you occassionally have to run the engine on petrol or is it ok to just run it on gas all the time?
Old 17-11-2008, 12:46 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to start it on petrol, and then you can switch it to gas
Old 17-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SapphyMike
you have to start it on petrol, and then you can switch it to gas

dont *have* to

its better when cold though

Lins
Hey how are ya?
Our x5 is gas. As per above when starting it has 3 things it goes on, water temp must be 30 deg, it must go over 1600 revs and must be after 20 sec from starting the engine before switching from petrol to gas. However after the 1st start of the day and providing its not really cold i just over ride it and start on gas. This was on advice from the installer.

chop
Old 17-11-2008, 01:07 PM
SapphyMike
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was half right then lol.
Old 17-11-2008, 01:13 PM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

oops it's been starting off the gas fine
the lady i bought it off said it will cut out if it's too cold on gas, so i assume she's done the same

I'm good thanks now chop - i was rushed from Fast Ford's Oulton Park trackday with bad appendix about 5 weeks ago, only just back in work now lol

It's a old land rover v8 that i got, mainly for taking my dog out. I'm sure it was your dog Andy R was telling me about, when you were house training it. Mine has almost been as good as i had nothing to do when i was off work except teach the dog stuff lol
Old 17-11-2008, 07:08 PM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depending on the system they can be started up when well below zero outside, so long as you let it idle, as if you start driving too soon, the vapouriser can become a block of ice, I know I've done it.
If you are a bit worried using petrol will do nothing as there is no longer any lead in it.
I had dry fuel inserts in my xr4i, so lpg all the time was not a problem, but prior to the dry fuel inserts I used FLASHLUBE, just a pipe that connects a bottle to the in let so it draws the liquid in slowly, and works perfect, been using it in australia for years and years.
tabetha
Old 18-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Lambchop
PF Idiot Sniper

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Linsay
I'm good thanks now chop - i was rushed from Fast Ford's Oulton Park trackday with bad appendix about 5 weeks ago, only just back in work now lol

It's a old land rover v8 that i got, mainly for taking my dog out. I'm sure it was your dog Andy R was telling me about, when you were house training it. Mine has almost been as good as i had nothing to do when i was off work except teach the dog stuff lol

Ouch! That doesnt sound like fun! glad you're well now

Lets see the pup then You're lucky if its behaving but its soooooo much easier!
Old 18-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by tabetha
Depending on the system they can be started up when well below zero outside, so long as you let it idle, as if you start driving too soon, the vapouriser can become a block of ice, I know I've done it.
If you are a bit worried using petrol will do nothing as there is no longer any lead in it.
I had dry fuel inserts in my xr4i, so lpg all the time was not a problem, but prior to the dry fuel inserts I used FLASHLUBE, just a pipe that connects a bottle to the in let so it draws the liquid in slowly, and works perfect, been using it in australia for years and years.
tabetha
Oh right ok – that should be ok then, I usually run it til the heaters warmed it before I’ll leave the house when it’s chilly, or does it need longer than that?
It’s been starting easily and running perfectly, but it’s not been very cold yet
Yeah it was my dad who put it in my head about running it on petrol and then he decided the same thing about there being no lead, just wasn’t sure if there was any other reasons
What’s this about fuel inserts? Sorry for my thickness – is there something else I need to do?
Old 18-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Linsay
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Lambchop
Ouch! That doesnt sound like fun! glad you're well now

Lets see the pup then You're lucky if its behaving but its soooooo much easier!
It wasn’t, I’ve never been so ill in my life!

I haven’t got any pics on photobucket at the mo, I put them on facebook I think. Only got the one below off my phone. I will find some of him now, he’s a lot bigger
It’s the most well behaved puppy my family have ever had. He was house trained in 2 weeks with no accidents and will almost wee on command, cos we kept giving him some of Kasper’s Go Cats when he did it outside and now he goes out just so he can have one bless him. I’ve taught him sit, down and stand. Just teaching him finish and retrieve – my lab didn’t learn these til he was about 1 lol