General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!!! Settle the argument!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 17-11-2008, 02:22 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CossieRich
I got steered away from Hi spec and Willwood becuase they suffer from caliper flex when used hard and AP's don't. Mike R told me this. So there is one genuine reason why
Although im not convinced that a small amount of flex is actually a problem in itself, it would be interesting to see some figures for that if anyone has any to see how much flex we are talking about?

The DOWNSIDE to the AP's and Brembos that no one seems to have mentioned is a significant increase in unsprung weight, which is obviously the last thing you want from a handling point of view.
Old 17-11-2008, 02:23 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luca
Nothing but issues with my wilwoods, so there going in favour of a better quality brake.

and these issues are ??
Old 17-11-2008, 02:25 PM
rog
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I think we should get back on track here, seems like a good post is getting ruined......
So I'll just state the obvious, I don't have the figures to hand (i do have Brembos)

Can someone who knows about these things find out the piston dimensions, OD/ID and cross sectional area and also the materials used for each manufacturer, so we can get a like for like comparison, then you'll have your answer.
Old 17-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rich,
If you're going to quote me, quote me correctly, I said that about the old style Compbrake callipers and the Wilwoods, which are prone to severe calliper flex .

For everyone's information, Hi-spec carried out torsional rigidity tests on the AP CP5200 callipers and then designed their own billet 4-pot ones to be as rigid as these benchmark items. With regard to them cracking, I have heard of two callipers crack around the bleed nipples, but then I have heard the same of the APs (Chop being one I can remember straight off the top of my head).

Also, depending on which Hi-spec kit you purchase, they can actually come with Performance Friction rotars, so hardly cheap shoddy crap, as these are rated better than the AP discs by quite a few people .

As to kits overheating, this is entirely down to pad material and brake fluid. On my own Sapphire I had hell and all problems with my AP kit until I changed the fluid form the crap Dot 5.1 that comes as part of the kit to Castrol SRF.

Also the K-sport ones are doing VERY well on cars competing in time attack, so I wouldn't slate these either.

At the end of the day, you pays ya money and makes ya choice, and as long as you chose a kit with good pads and fluid (often where the cheap kits or even the expensive ones fall down), you are unlikely to tell the difference on the road (comparing like for like), other than perhaps disc longevity.

On the track, you are likely to get more consistant braking and the knowledge that you have a properly developed kit for the car.
Old 17-11-2008, 02:34 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by Mike Rainbird
Rich,
If you're going to quote me, quote me correctly, I said that about the old style Compbrake callipers and the Wilwoods, which are prone to severe calliper flex .

For everyone's information, Hi-spec carried out torsional rigidity tests on the AP CP5200 callipers and then designed their own billet 4-pot ones to be as rigid as these benchmark items. With regard to them cracking, I have heard of two callipers crack around the bleed nipples, but then I have heard the same of the APs (Chop being one I can remember straight off the top of my head).

Also, depending on which Hi-spec kit you purchase, they can actually come with Performance Friction rotars, so hardly cheap shoddy crap, as these are rated better than the AP discs by quite a few people .

As to kits overheating, this is entirely down to pad material and brake fluid. On my own Sapphire I had hell and all problems with my AP kit until I changed the fluid form the crap Dot 5.1 that comes as part of the kit to Castrol SRF.

Also the K-sport ones are doing VERY well on cars competing in time attack, so I wouldn't slate these either.

At the end of the day, you pays ya money and makes ya choice, and as long as you chose a kit with good pads and fluid (often where the cheap kits or even the expensive ones fall down), you are unlikely to tell the difference on the road (comparing like for like), other than perhaps disc longevity.

On the track, you are likely to get more consistant braking and the knowledge that you have a properly developed kit for the car.

some FACTS just like this guy wanted
Old 17-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Chip

With regard to them cracking, I have heard of two callipers crack around the bleed nipples, but then I have heard the same of the APs (Chop being one I can remember straight off the top of my head).
IMHO thats more likely to be indicative of the user (of both the hi spec and the AP) than of the caliper itself in each case.

Given that the bleed nipples get looser when the calipers get hot, its far more likely due to overtightening than anything else IMHO.
Old 17-11-2008, 02:39 PM
dojj
Resident Wrestling Legend

Received 258 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by CossieRich
Dojj,

This thread is not for you to blag mag time in order to get your car featured
i'm sorry rich

i'll start my own thread then
Ad4m RST
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
From what you have said so far, it does indeed appear that for most people in this thread "ignorance is bliss" is a very relevant comment, seems like most people arent interested in the actual nitty gritty of which performs better and why?
What setup would you go for and why then?

For me it's like Ohlins to Tein..... or Comps to Rotas ( )
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Do you have any technical reasoning for why you feel the hi spec would underperform on your car?

Or just you like AP's and would sooner stick with them due to good experience of them but dont know enough about the technical details of each to actually make an informed decision about which would be better?
I know quite a few reasons why they would end up under performing on my car but I'm not going to broadcast them, I have had quite a lot of experiance of them over the years and most times they have ended up getting replaced with something better.

You pays your money and you take your chance.

Btw I won't be sticking with AP's at all!
Old 17-11-2008, 02:40 PM
DanW@FastFord
Spelling Club King!

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by rog
so we can get a like for like comparison, then you'll have your answer.
Like-for-like would require them to cost the same though, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison.

My reckoning is that both will make your car stop better. The APs will make them stop better than the HiSpecs. The HiSpecs will be cheaper than the APs.

Last edited by DanW@FastFord; 17-11-2008 at 02:45 PM.
Old 17-11-2008, 02:41 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Ad4m RST
What setup would you go for and why then?!
For what application?

On my mini track toy for example, I went for mega lightweight KAD billet 4 pots, as they were the lightest available brake, and I used them on a thin solid disk as that is all that was required for my application, and it kept the weight to a minimum.
(this noticeably improved the control the shock had over the wheel, particuarly on bumpy corners like castle combe used to be)

For my 3 door though, I have a set of brembos, as I want something that will do loads of miles without needing continual servicing and im not fussed about a bit of extra unsprung weight.

Horses for courses IMHO
Old 17-11-2008, 02:42 PM
broadmoor
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
I know quite a few reasons why they would end up under performing on my car but I'm not going to broadcast them, I have had quite a lot of experiance of them over the years and most times they have ended up getting replaced with something better.

You pays your money and you take your chance.

Btw I won't be sticking with AP's at all!

Me Too...if you reply to my PM ..hint hint
Old 17-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by DanW@FastFord
Like-for-like would require them to cost the same though, so it's a bit of an unfair comparison.
Only in terms of which offered better value, not in terms of which was ultimately the better product for a given application.
Old 17-11-2008, 02:45 PM
dojj

but if you've only got a budget to fit hi-spec brakes why would you be looking at the ap stuff if price is such a huge variation?
Old 17-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by dojj
but if you've only got a budget to fit hi-spec brakes why would you be looking at the ap stuff if price is such a huge variation?
Personally when I choose billet brakes for my track mini (KAD ones not hi-spec as it happened, personally I wouldnt ever deal with hi-spec myself for reasons of customer service) cost wasnt an issue at all, if an extra grand had got me a set that performed better I would have quite happily paid it, but the reality was that none of these big heavy calipers offer any advantages on a lightweight application like that IMHO, and they offer disadvantages in terms of handling.
Old 17-11-2008, 02:50 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All were running Ferodo DS pads, I know that much...
Old 17-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Mike C
All were running Ferodo DS pads, I know that much...
Were they the same size pads, as often different make solutions for the same application will use different size pads, which obviously makes a big difference, as does disk size and thickness.

Only worth making a comparison if all these factors are closely controlled of course.
Old 17-11-2008, 03:02 PM
Mike C
The Special One

Were they the same size pads, as often different make solutions for the same application will use different size pads, which obviously makes a big difference, as does disk size and thickness.

Only worth making a comparison if all these factors are closely controlled of course.
No idea, mine were the ones recommended by a trustful source, the exact model number I don't know without looking...
Old 17-11-2008, 03:04 PM
series1john
Wahay!! I've lost my Virginity!!

I had hi specs on a 300bhp S1 track car 330mm fronts and their rear disc conversion and never had a problem, but if i had the money i would get APs due to their vast motorsport experiance but i still believe value for money you cant get better than the hi specs.

from all the people i know only ever known one complaint about Aps and i think that was just a freak incident as the caliper actually cracked causing major staining of the under garments.

Have heard loads of complaints about wilwoods but i cant personally say anything about them as never used them, but my brother has them on his 3dr track car and they always seem to need rebuilding due to piston problems.
Old 17-11-2008, 03:08 PM
sbd16v
PassionFord Post Troll

Originally Posted by series1john
I had hi specs on a 300bhp S1 track car 330mm fronts and their rear disc conversion and never had a problem, but if i had the money i would get APs due to their vast motorsport experiance

you had no problems with the hi spec so what does AP's motorsport experiance bring to the table over your hi spec ???
Old 17-11-2008, 03:08 PM
Mike C
The Special One

I had Wilwoods and had a piston problem with one of them. I figured it would be easier just to buy a new pair of calipers and flog the old ones on eBay (described honestly with the problem) and I got a fiver more for the knackered ones than I paid for a new pair of the same brand new (trade price)

Some bloke came and collected the same day too, wanted them for his rallycross Nova.

I liked the Wilwoods when they were working properly, for the money they're good for fast road, but just can't take a real hammering at all
Old 17-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Luca
Lukesville

Originally Posted by sbd16v
you had no problems with the hi spec so what does AP's motorsport experiance bring to the table over your hi spec ???
Your bank statement 4 weeks later and a moan / smackfrom the missus
Old 17-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Char1ie
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Less flex in the caliper through stronger materials.
Better cooling in the caliper through choice of materials

Cooler and stiffer = better in stressed conditions.

Charlie
Old 17-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Eagle
Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In what way?

If you are going to make statements like that slagging off a product, IMHO you should at least supply some details.

i know someone who had a set ... the pads went up in smoke and the discs cracked .. supposed to be an upgrade then ..lol
Old 17-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Mike Rainbird
Caraholic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eagle
i know someone who had a set ... the pads went up in smoke and the discs cracked .. supposed to be an upgrade then ..lol

All discs crack with heat / age (even my 378 x 32 Ł600 a pair APs!). This is even more prevalent with drilled discs. Please note discs are a SERVICE item .

Pads/fluid used should be fit for puprose .

http://www.randbmotorsport.co.uk/sho...6_-_Brakes.pdf
Old 17-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Eagle
Impressive build quality from the calipers if they withstood that sort of mismatched spec for the application.

Just goes to show, its normally the idiot using it not the product that is the problem
Old 17-11-2008, 03:42 PM
XRT_si
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

lol @ people having a go at Chip, he's only pushed for an honest answer and half here didnt know it!
Old 17-11-2008, 03:49 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by XRT_si
lol @ people having a go at Chip, he's only pushed for an honest answer and half here didnt know it!
People on PF fear the truth
Old 17-11-2008, 03:58 PM
series1john

Originally Posted by sbd16v
Anyone who repeatedly evolves a product over many years naturally has a edge on people with less test data and experiance would have thought that would have been obvious?
Old 17-11-2008, 04:03 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by series1john
Anyone who repeatedly evolves a product over many years naturally has a edge on people with less test data and experiance would have thought that would have been obvious?
What a nonsense, thats such a ridiculous sweeping statement and its only true if both companies have staffs with equal talents and development strategies in the first place.

Perfectly possible for a newcomer to come along and better an existing company's product.

Cosworth did it with the pinto cylinder head for example
Old 17-11-2008, 04:12 PM
series1john

Which is why companies like Ap have always looked at bringing in new people to evolve their own product so the ideas and knowledge base doesn't become stagnent like alot of people opinions
Old 17-11-2008, 05:57 PM
CossieRich
Did Someone Mention TUV

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rich,

i did quote you correctly. I asked you about compbrake, Wilwood, high spec and AP's all in the same convo, you said AP's for the front as the others suffer from caliper flex and to get the hi spec big disc rear conversion. I ddint bring compbrake into this as they werent being asked about.
Old 17-11-2008, 06:15 PM
COCHYN
BANNED
BANNED

Can someone please close this thread now, the bloke I was arguing with had the inevitable happen to him. Did a hard brake down from 140mph earlier and one of the threads for the braided line cracked under pressure, pissing fluid all over the place. No one hurt though.

Doubt I'd want that to happen on a 200mph car like Martoon's for example.

CASE CLOSED!
Old 17-11-2008, 06:29 PM
dojj

if you edit your orginal post there is a button marked advanced editing or something
that will give you the option somewhere to be able to close the thread after you have finished doing what you are doing

hth