General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Ford mondeo tdci (cutting out)

Search this Thread

Old 13-11-2008, 09:34 PM
aungkhin
Virgin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford mondeo tdci (cutting out)

Heya people i have just brought a 2002 mondeo tdci lx its covered 107k and drives nice apart from the glow plug light flashes at me now and again and cuts out a few times (once in a blue moon) its really annoying me to be honest i was told the light is the engine management lights on them but i dont think it is as it shows it has a engine management light on there people have been suggesting diesel pump,fuel rail and glow plugs will be alot off help if u can help me get it sorted thanks guys
Old 13-11-2008, 09:36 PM
BANNED
BANNED

injector coding, common as hell on them, get it code read then go from there, sometimes the injectors can be recoded other times new set needed&coded
Old 13-11-2008, 09:42 PM
Paddy
Legend

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

iirc the glow plug light can also flash if there's a problem with injectors on the TDCi. There's some code that says something about the injector control pressure being low? I don't know the code or remember the exact wording. I'm sure someone on here will.

We've had it happen a few times on mondeos and the X-types and I remember one fix was new injectors [they can sometimes be recoded?] but the first place to start is with a few sensors that can fail.

Get it on someone's diagnostic machine and find out? Get someone decent though as in my experience most of the people in Ford are just fitters now who try different parts and spend your money until the problem stops. A decent mechanic will save you money.

*EDITED TO ADD* Someone replied the same 1st!

Last edited by Paddy; 13-11-2008 at 09:46 PM. Reason: doppleganger
Old 14-11-2008, 07:18 AM
BANNED
BANNED

oh and i forgot to say cam sensor can give the cutting out faults and glow plug light flashing
Old 14-11-2008, 08:33 AM
DanCossie
Post Whore

Originally Posted by Paddy
iirc the glow plug light can also flash if there's a problem with injectors on the TDCi. There's some code that says something about the injector control pressure being low? I don't know the code or remember the exact wording. I'm sure someone on here will.

!
Paddy thats exactly right mate....I had the same problem on mine..for some reason one of my injectors got a bit loose so it was losing pressure and was cutting out....went to a garage got it tightend and put on the diagnostic machine and all sorted...
Old 14-11-2008, 09:40 AM
B19 JUB
Advanced PassionFord User

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

as people have already said it could be a number of things causing the problem.cam sensor is the first thing that needs looking at as there are later type grey ones asthe early ones are black and cause problems.normally as your driving it goes out of synch with the crank sensor and shuts down for safety.
another thing could be the injection pump breaking up and blocking up the injectors.normally happens as your crusing along as the pressure build up pushes the particles to ends of injectors and blocks them up.
best thing i to see what codes have been set.iirc one will be a p code saying p0251 i think

hope that helps a bit
Old 02-08-2010, 12:05 PM
stephfezza

Wink Mondeo TDCi 2.0ltr 115 & 130 (2001- 2007)

Originally Posted by aungkhin
Heya people i have just brought a 2002 mondeo tdci lx its covered 107k and drives nice apart from the glow plug light flashes at me now and again and cuts out a few times (once in a blue moon) its really annoying me to be honest i was told the light is the engine management lights on them but i dont think it is as it shows it has a engine management light on there people have been suggesting diesel pump,fuel rail and glow plugs will be alot off help if u can help me get it sorted thanks guys
Hi There, My father has the same trouble, he has come across a ford TSB (tech service bulletin from 2003 (TSB No:37/2003), which describes the probable reason being the fuel pressure sensor, their is a revised pressure sensor kit finis no: 1233538 (Ł58.73 +vat) still available from ford.
You splice a new plug assy into the loom and replace the fuel sensor (this is at the end of the fuel rail), this should cure the problem. Hope this helps.

Stephfezza
Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM
billybigspuds
BANNED
BANNED

i certainly wouldnt go buy parts until you have read the codes