General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Does Anyone On Here Know About Medical Negligence Claims? - Roosie, Perhaps?

Search this Thread

Old 13-11-2008, 01:10 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Anyone On Here Know About Medical Negligence Claims? - Roosie, Perhaps?

Hello, about Four years ago, I had a minor accident, which soon became a major one because the hospital failed to spot my injury, because of this, I am now disabled. I decided to claim against them for Medical Neglect, and I am doing. I started my claim, with my solicitor about 3 and half years ago. It was well over 15 months that they accepted liability, and accepted that they neglected me.

I keep getting letters which state, I need to go for a medical report, and I will be told when, etc. This has been going on for over a year and a half and I am getting nowhere. My solicitor tells me these things take time, but I am now becoming, not impatient, but feel like I am getting nowhere. Please bare in mind this has been going on for a nearly 4 years in total, and I still haven't had a medical.

Is my solictor crap, and if so, can I change? If I change, do I have to start from scratch?

Any help is much appreciated, Roosie maybe?

Benni.
Old 13-11-2008, 08:09 AM
tabetha
BANNED
BANNED

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll ring roosie in a minute for you, his number is 07850671020.
Yes your solicitor is crap, the longer they sit on a case the more they bill.
YES you can change to anyone willing to take it on, all that would happen is there would be a proviso that when you win the new solicitors would have tp pay the first solicitors bill before your compo.
It's ridiculous the amount of time some take, I know Scott Rees do not do medical negligence but they or Claim Care Centre(roosie) would certainly be able to help, all on a no win no fee basis as liability is not disputed.
tabetha
ps pm me your phone number and I'll pass it on to roosie as he is on the road today.
Old 13-11-2008, 08:14 AM
SassyRS
Little Miss...

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunatly these things do take time.

Benni you have pm
Old 13-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

I'll give you my Email - Benniturd@hotmail.co.uk. Thanks for the PM, Sassy. Thanks for your help Tabetha.

Benni.
Old 13-11-2008, 08:35 AM
turbo_boost
Too many posts.. I need a life!!

As long as they have know admitted liability it shouldnt take long this is the harddest bit being able to prove Negligence as there are many aspects to this and they can try anything to get out there are loop holes as they have accpeted liability you shoulds now be able to go court quicker, so imo change your solicitor. Have they completely acepted liability or wish to disagree in court for full liability
Old 13-11-2008, 09:04 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by turbo_boost
As long as they have know admitted liability it shouldnt take long this is the harddest bit being able to prove Negligence as there are many aspects to this and they can try anything to get out there are loop holes as they have accpeted liability you shoulds now be able to go court quicker, so imo change your solicitor. Have they completely acepted liability or wish to disagree in court for full liability
As far as I am aware, they have accepted it. Mind you, this was ages ago.

Benni.
Old 13-11-2008, 09:07 AM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Sounds like they are dragging their heels big time mate!
Old 13-11-2008, 09:22 AM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Dan
Sounds like they are dragging their heels big time mate!
I wouldn't mind if it took time and I was being updated. However, whenever I phone up Pam, my solicitor is in a meeting, and I am told she will ring me back. Plus, I spoke to people who think it's worth more than they think, I don't want to end up at a loss.

Benni.
Old 13-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

From a different perspective, I LOATHE medical negligence claims with a passion. My dad was a GP and he died in 1977 but even then he foresaw a future when doctors and nurses wouldn't step forward to help for fear of trying and failing. And it is happening with doctors NOT identifying themselves on airplanes during an emergency because they don't have instruments, tools or drugs that may be required and scared to expose themselves to malicious lawsuits.

I accept that you have been disadvantaged and deserve to be put in a position as close to previously as possible but, being honest, cash won't achieve that beyond covering additional costs you might now incur as a result of your disabliity.

With very very few exceptions the people in the medical professions are hard-working, diligent and honest folk who do their very best for each and every patient - often in extraordinarily difficult circumstances.

I simply do not accept that many of them ever set out to do harm but the difference is that in their job, if they miss something or get it wrong someone gets hurt or dies - for the rest of us, the worst outcome for our customers if we miss something or make a mistake is a delay or an inconvenience or some extra expense all of which can be adequately compensated with cash.
Old 13-11-2008, 02:39 PM
ballin
10K+ Poster!!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Have to agree with Iain, BUT, we aren't becoming a claim society any longer, we now are one, so wouldn't expect any different from anyone nowadays tbh
Old 13-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Roosie
500bhp Cosworth in making

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Benni
Hello, about Four years ago, I had a minor accident, which soon became a major one because the hospital failed to spot my injury, because of this, I am now disabled. I decided to claim against them for Medical Neglect, and I am doing. I started my claim, with my solicitor about 3 and half years ago. It was well over 15 months that they accepted liability, and accepted that they neglected me.

I keep getting letters which state, I need to go for a medical report, and I will be told when, etc. This has been going on for over a year and a half and I am getting nowhere. My solicitor tells me these things take time, but I am now becoming, not impatient, but feel like I am getting nowhere. Please bare in mind this has been going on for a nearly 4 years in total, and I still haven't had a medical.

Is my solictor crap, and if so, can I change? If I change, do I have to start from scratch?

Any help is much appreciated, Roosie maybe?

Benni.
Hi Benni
Ok the problem is on this one is a lot of solicitors wont take on anything that another solicitor is well into the case tbh.
Medical Neglagence out of all the types of claims take the longest im affraid but still nearly 4 years is a long time but the reason they hang it out is because they want to see how you feel a couple of years after incident ect as we get a lot of cases that get paid out in under a year and found out there condition gets worse after being paid out.
If you dont mind me asking what Solicitors is dealing with it (you can PM if you want) I know a lot of people in a lot of solicitors and i can have a little word for you or get a update.
If it was under 3 years old the claim i would have offered to take over the case for you but its just that too far gone now.
Old 13-11-2008, 03:22 PM
RWD_cossie_wil
10K+ Poster!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Iain Mac
From a different perspective, I LOATHE medical negligence claims with a passion. My dad was a GP and he died in 1977 but even then he foresaw a future when doctors and nurses wouldn't step forward to help for fear of trying and failing. And it is happening with doctors NOT identifying themselves on airplanes during an emergency because they don't have instruments, tools or drugs that may be required and scared to expose themselves to malicious lawsuits.

I accept that you have been disadvantaged and deserve to be put in a position as close to previously as possible but, being honest, cash won't achieve that beyond covering additional costs you might now incur as a result of your disabliity.

With very very few exceptions the people in the medical professions are hard-working, diligent and honest folk who do their very best for each and every patient - often in extraordinarily difficult circumstances.

I simply do not accept that many of them ever set out to do harm but the difference is that in their job, if they miss something or get it wrong someone gets hurt or dies - for the rest of us, the worst outcome for our customers if we miss something or make a mistake is a delay or an inconvenience or some extra expense all of which can be adequately compensated with cash.

:c lap::cla p:
Old 13-11-2008, 03:39 PM
Roosie

Does that include Dr Shipman?
Old 13-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Diamonds.
BANNED
BANNED

Old 13-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Theres a big difference between muppets sueing a off duty doctor who saved them with no tools on a plane, and a doctor that was negligent in a hospital environment!

In a hospital environment its fair to expect a good quality service especially where lives are at risk. In cases like bennis where negligence has been admitted i feel he deserves adequate compensation.

The problem comes when idiots and greiving people just want someone to blame for something the doctors have no control over. I dont know why they think a compensation payout will make them feel better!
Old 13-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Psycho Warren
Carbon Crazy

Received 128 Likes on 95 Posts

Theres a big difference between muppets sueing a off duty doctor who saved them with no tools on a plane, and a doctor that was negligent in a hospital environment!

In a hospital environment its fair to expect a good quality service especially where lives are at risk. In cases like bennis where negligence has been admitted i feel he deserves adequate compensation.

The problem comes when idiots and greiving people just want someone to blame for something the doctors have no control over. I dont know why they think a compensation payout will make them feel better!
Old 13-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Benni
Ban[B][/B]ned

Originally Posted by Roosie
Afpmsl! I will send you a PM. One moment.

Benni.
Old 13-11-2008, 08:05 PM
Dan
20K+ Super Poster.

Originally Posted by Roosie
Awesome!
Old 14-11-2008, 11:07 PM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

I said "with very few exceptions" but, for all many of us know, Shipman may have been relieving suffering in those patients.

There's been plenty on the news recently seeking the right to die with dignity, and even a High Court case where the wife wanted a judgement that her husband wouldn't be convicted of assisting her suicide if he took her to Switzerland.

I don't know the circumstances of Shipman's patients/victims, so I won't comment further.
Old 15-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Roosie

I said "with very few exceptions" but, for all many of us know, Shipman may have been relieving suffering in those patients.

There's been plenty on the news recently seeking the right to die with dignity, and even a High Court case where the wife wanted a judgement that her husband wouldn't be convicted of assisting her suicide if he took her to Switzerland.

I don't know the circumstances of Shipman's patients/victims, so I won't comment further.

i do our company took 2 of the claims on for it but obviously i cant discuss this with 3rd partys however much i want to.
Old 15-11-2008, 10:03 AM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats all good & well but if you took your car somewhere for a service & they forgot to do up the sump nut, it fell out & your engine seized up would you not want the garage to sort the problem out for you?

why should people have their lives ruined by someone not doing there job properly & not want some kind of compensation??

maybe the goverment should rethink what it does with taxpayers money, the banks rip people off for years & get a massive handout when their not doing so well................... why couldn't this money have been invested in the health service to get doctors/nurses/GP's who seem to give a shit about their patients ..................
Old 15-11-2008, 10:03 AM
GUZZLER
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just to add, there are some damn good & caring members of NHS staff out there, but there seems to be a lot more who treat it just as a 'job'
Old 15-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Iain Mac
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by GUZZLER
thats all good & well but if you took your car somewhere for a service & they forgot to do up the sump nut, it fell out & your engine seized up would you not want the garage to sort the problem out for you?

why should people have their lives ruined by someone not doing there job properly & not want some kind of compensation??

maybe the goverment should rethink what it does with taxpayers money, the banks rip people off for years & get a massive handout when their not doing so well................... why couldn't this money have been invested in the health service to get doctors/nurses/GP's who seem to give a shit about their patients ..................
If a garage made my engine seize up, you are dead right that I'd expect them to replace the engine and provide or pay for a car while mine was out of use. I might even expect some compensation for the inconvenience of not having, for instance, the use of my big estate or my satnav while tootling about in their loan car - I wouldn't expect Ł10 grand cash.

Some of the people seeking compensation for the loss of a loved one mystify me. If someone made a mistake or killed them on purpose, how does Ł5 million replace that family member? Those cases are based on greed. They can't even say they are a punishment because the compo is paid by the health authority (so isn't available for care and treatment of other patients) or by insurers (who crank up the renewal price in subsequent years so there's less cash available for care and treatment of patients!)

If someone is left disabled by a mistake or miss-treatment I agreed at the outset that they should be compensated for the disadvantage this has placed them at but I don't think they should be seeking any more than that.

Much as I dislike this Labour Government I acknowledge the real increases they have made in health spending, but think so much is wasted on wankers who are just a waste of breath, and others who bring their medical woes on themselves. If you get lung cancer from smoking too much and the surgeon removes the wrong lung by mistake - "Too Fucking bad! You were going to die from your self-inflicted condition anyway!"

In my experience nearly every doctor and nurse I've met REALLY cares about what they do and - maybe most importantly - WANT to do it.

Doctors are quite well paid but remember that these kids are among the smartest and most able pupils leaving school and could choose many different career paths. They decide to follow the medical route, and know they will get nowhere near the money many make in business, sport or celebrity, despite all the years studying and training to get where they are:
6 years at high school, followed by 7 years in university running up student debt all the time, then 3 or 4 years working and on-call for extraordinarily long hours as a junior, gaining the necessary experience of A&E and other departments before they get to specialise.

But if money is the thing, would you even consider being a nurse and cleaning up anyone else's piss, puke, shit, or innards, especially for the kind of money they are on? Then factor in the attitude of too many "customers" who view it as their right to abuse, both verbally and physically, the people they are relying on for help, and those on drink and drugs that aren't thinking at all. If you would consider it, your a bigger man than I. If you actually do it, I salute you and offer my unconditional gratitude.

If, like me, you can't or won't do it, get off your high horse and be grateful that we still have people who will try their best, and cut them some slack if you meet them at the end of a long and trying day and their "customer skills" aren't entirely to your satisfaction.
Old 15-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Dan16v
Advanced PassionFord User

But if money is the thing, would you even consider being a nurse and cleaning up anyone else's piss, puke, shit, or innards, especially for the kind of money they are on? Then factor in the attitude of too many "customers" who view it as their right to abuse, both verbally and physically, the people they are relying on for help, and those on drink and drugs that aren't thinking at all. If you would consider it, your a bigger man than I. If you actually do it, I salute you and offer my unconditional gratitude.

If, like me, you can't or won't do it, get off your high horse and be grateful that we still have people who will try their best, and cut them some slack if you meet them at the end of a long and trying day and their "customer skills" aren't entirely to your satisfaction.