General Car Related Discussion. To discuss anything that is related to cars and automotive technology that doesnt naturally fit into another forum catagory.

Cosworth is manufacturing new YB Alloy Engine Blocks AND YB cylinder head (page 2)

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
cosworth
Regular Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cosworth is manufacturing new YB Alloy Engine Blocks AND YB cylinder head (page 2)

Not sure if this has been posted here before. Tried to search but couldn't find any threads on it.

http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/...8&idproduct=28

Price $ 5.999.00

Strangely, this part is only found on the Cosworth USA website. No mentioning of it on the European website...

This Ford Cosworth YB aluminum cylinder block is a direct replacement for the European spec thick deck 200 iron block and can be used for 2wd or 4wd wet sump or dry sump applications. It is intended for normally aspirated or turbocharged engines. Cast from LM25 and heat treated to T6 condition for uncompromising strength. The large, robust shot peened cast alloy main caps are located with precision ground ring dowels and secured using a 12 mm high strength stud, washer, and nut kit. The thick-wall bores can accommodate dry iron straight thin wall liners in 90.8mm, 92mm, 94mm, and 96mm or the bores can be left unfinished allowing other liner types to be installed. Additionally, crankshafts up to 88mm stroke with high performance rods are acceptable. The deck height is finish machined to original specification 207.5mm, but is also available with a 217.5mm deck for long rod and/or stroker crank application. Unlike the iron block with limited material beneath the threaded head bolt/stud holes, this block features large cast pillars that extend internally from the deck to the crankcase portion of the block, which permit the threaded stud holes to be machined deep into the block; however, the stainless steel threaded inserts are installed at a depth to accommodate standard head bolts or an aftermarket head stud set. The combination of large internal pillars, thick cylinder walls and deep cast deck provides a very strong and stable block making through block stud arrangement unnecessary. Unless otherwise specified, each block is meticulously finished machined and arrives with the finish honed liners, main caps, main cap studs, bungs, core plugs, ring dowels, and head stud inserts installed.

Last edited by cosworth; 14-11-2008 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:19 PM
RWD Pete
Banned
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be interesting to see how much abuse it can take.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:22 PM
westus1
Advanced PassionFord User

i'm sure we will when the big money boys start tuning them to the moon woohoo
Old 10-11-2008, 09:35 PM
Chip
*** Sierra RS Custard ***

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

That sounds pretty good.

2550cc would certainly spool up turbos nicely!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

is that basically the same as a millington diamond block though albeit made by cosworth? so would be able to withstand the same power?
Old 10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Chip

If you price up up getting a 200 block and machining it properly, and long studding it etc, that is actually looking really cheap if we ever get back to 2 dollars to the quid!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:52 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip
If you price up up getting a 200 block and machining it properly, and long studding it etc, that is actually looking really cheap if we ever get back to 2 dollars to the quid!
agreed

just need someone to test one now; i guess they would have better tolerances to cyclinder pressure than the old 200 blocks
Old 10-11-2008, 09:56 PM
Chip

I wonder why they didnt incorporate a girdle while they were at it.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Received 223 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by LHD220Turbo
agreed

just need someone to test one now; i guess they would have better tolerances to cyclinder pressure than the old 200 blocks
I spoke to Cosworth US about this when it first came out and asked lots of details and got lots of answers,
But it came down to we have not run it that hard so cant say for sure it will take it. Only that the Scooby one we do has run up to 1000hp but this is not that engine.

Mark
Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Stu.H
10K+ Poster!!

Happy days!

Old 10-11-2008, 10:03 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

I wonder why they didnt incorporate a girdle while they were at it.
arent they more popular with straight 6 pot engines to help stop the crank from moving in the middle under massive pressures?

anyone got one fitted to a YB you're aware of?

i also thought the YB crank construction and assembly was pretty bullet proof in standard form? (within reason ie not 1000hp,)
Old 10-11-2008, 10:05 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by Mark Shead
I spoke to Cosworth US about this when it first came out and asked lots of details and got lots of answers,
But it came down to we have not run it that hard so cant say for sure it will take it. Only that the Scooby one we do has run up to 1000hp but this is not that engine.

Mark
just need a wealthy cossie owner to invest and have you try and break it then Mark
Chip

Lots of 4 pot motors run them too, and dont forget the standard YB you are talking about is made of iron.

Im sure cosworth know what they are doing FAR better than me though, so I guess if it doesnt have a girdle its cause it doesnt need one, id just like to see the decision making process for it if that was possible, which im sure it isnt!
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Mark
Can you share a bit more about the questions and answers? The first thing that comes to my mind is why they made it in the first place!
Old 10-11-2008, 10:10 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Lots of 4 pot motors run them too, and dont forget the standard YB you are talking about is made of iron.

Im sure cosworth know what they are doing FAR better than me though, so I guess if it doesnt have a girdle its cause it doesnt need one, id just like to see the decision making process for it if that was possible, which im sure it isnt!
fair do's; as you say; i'm sure Cosworth knew what they were doing with this upated block

wernt aware 4 pot motors ran them; would have thought it would have been overkill; although i suppose it depends on the application & purpose
Old 10-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Chip

fair do's; as you say; i'm sure Cosworth knew what they were doing with this upated block

wernt aware 4 pot motors ran them; would have thought it would have been overkill; although i suppose it depends on the application & purpose
Just as an example:

Standard vauxhall vectra 1998 2.0 16v = got a girdle
Old 10-11-2008, 10:14 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Just as an example:

you learn something new everyday
Old 10-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Originally Posted by Azrael
Can you share a bit more about the questions and answers? The first thing that comes to my mind is why they made it in the first place!

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your response. This alloy block has been designed with the intention of being a direct replacement for the iron block. Therefore, it should be ok for virtually any application that the iron block is used for. Additionally, all of our racing engines have alloy blocks and we have even built a 1000 h.p. Subaru engine using a factory alloy block. Having said that, no I do not have a HP/TQ rating on the block, nor would I rate the block. There are too many variables that influence the performance and longevity of the block that are beyond my control. I am just getting the block out into the market, although they have been running for quite a while. I know that this really does not answer your question, but I will learn more as these blocks find their way into many applications and I will inform you if I run into someone running one with a similar output to what you are looking for.

Hello Mark,

Please ask as many questions as you desire. The liners are thin wall (1.6mm) cast iron liners. I do not know the material spec at the moment, but I can find out for you. No, they are not coated. They are similar to what we use to run in our BDP midget engines and the wear characteristics were fine.

We use to carry a proper wasted or relieved shank head bolt that could be re-used many times, but they are no longer available. (Sorry, I don't know why) Therefore, we currently carry in stock either the one use standard head bolts (YB0449) @ $4.17 per bolt or ARP Head Stud Sets (PR8050) @ $116.18 per set. Incidentally, we have the ARP Main Stud Sets too (PR8049) at $91.87 per set.

I currently have special Cometic MLS Gaskets on order, which I should have in about three weeks. These are special because some of the water holes have been modified and the exact bore/I.D. of the gasket has been specified in order for me to provide a stronger/better gasket for this alloy block application. Our standard bore YB gasket (YB0611) can be used on the standard bore alloy YB block. The gaskets will be priced at a normal reasonable price for a good quality head gasket, probably $85.00 - $90.00 per gasket.

The liners that are fitted into these blocks are thin wall iron liners that can be honed a few thou for clean-up during a rebuild, but if liners need to be replaced, they can be. The standard procedure is to machine down one side of the liner until the section thickness is very thin. Then due to the compression that the liner is under, the liner will basically pop and release itself from the bore of the block. The block is heated, new liners installed, liners are bored and/or honed, block and/or liner tops are ground, and you are back in business. These are standard procedures for the replacement of thin wall dry liners.

Although only a handful of these blocks have been sold and are currently running (because the block has only recently released), there is 15 years of experience and knowledge that has gone into the design of the block by an ex-Millington employee. This direct replacement block has been under development for the last three years.

You ask a question about the material spec of the liners in one of your past emails. The material is Normalized Pearlitic, Ferritic matrix.

These are my replies from Cosworth.

Mark
Old 10-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Azrael
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Chip: what a girdle is, can you show? I don't understand the word and I don't want to spend half of the night googling if you can tell me simply? I am guessing is it the type of one piece set of main caps as used on 4G64 Mitsu Evo?

Last edited by Azrael; 10-11-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Mark Shead
PassionFord Post Whore!!

IMO you would need to change the sump also due to the clearance on the front lower section of the sump.

Mark
Old 10-11-2008, 10:21 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

IMO you would need to change the sump also due to the clearance on the front lower section of the sump.

Mark
which in turn will mean the oil pump & pick up pipe would need modifying too wouldnt it?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:22 PM
cozzfather
C.R.E.A.M.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

so basically one of roys old employees has gone and worked for the competition and said ey up what about a alloy block yb then made by cosworth.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 PM
Chip

Originally Posted by Azrael
Chip: what a girdle is, can you show? I don't understand the word and I don't want to spend half of the night googling if you can tell me simply? I am guessing is it the type of one piece set of main caps as used on 4G64 Mitsu Evo?
A girdle is a brace across the bottom of the block bolted to each of the mains caps.

Mark, fair point about the other bits needing changing too, I suppose it wouldnt be a direct replacement then.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 PM
TWoods
Regular Contributor

Im sold, where to buy?
Old 10-11-2008, 10:25 PM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

Mark
The sump will accept a girdle with minor mods, my Millington had one.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:28 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by TWoods
Im sold, where to buy?
http://www.cosworthusa.com/store/pc/...8&idproduct=28
Old 11-11-2008, 06:27 AM
TWoods
Regular Contributor

Cheers worked out Ł3,650 ordered
Old 11-11-2008, 09:26 AM
cosworth
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by TWoods
Cheers worked out Ł3,650 ordered
Does that mean that you have ordered one? Good luck if that's the case.

What they need to do now is to remake the cylinder head as well. I think I heard some rumours about that on this forum.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Martin-Hadland
1st to 200 without NOS

Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts

I know quite a lot about these and other developments to do with them but I'm sworn to secrecy I will use one in the future but not right now, can't say why.

Bit of a useless reply I know
Old 11-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Chip

Old 11-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Turbocabbie
Top Cab !!

burtons sell the alloy yb block by cosworth
Old 11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
vikingboy
PassionFord Regular

Originally Posted by martin-reyland
I know quite a lot about these and other developments to do with them but I'm sworn to secrecy I will use one in the future but not right now, can't say why.

are you building a competitive time attack car?
Old 11-11-2008, 01:46 PM
cosworth
Regular Contributor

Originally Posted by martin-reyland

Useless in a way, maybe. But oh so interesting from a different perspective. Indicates that there might be new and interesting developments in the world of Cosworth tuning...

Looking forward to more information with great anticipation.

I've been to the Cosworth factory in Northampton and did tour of the facilities. This was when they where preparing their last F1 engine. Got to see the V8 on the dyno and all the other bits (apart from some places) of the F1 and road engine departments. Impressive stuff. Especially the F1 pistons, cranks, cylinder blocks and camshafts.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:32 PM
steveboyslim
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Alloy YB Block

Cosworth Inc are only marketing the block.
The block is made by ex-employees of a UK company on the other side of the world.
A highly respected UK based tuner is doing an assessment for a high power YB build.
I have seen the block in N/A use, I have doubts it will be suitable for big horsepower use (not what it was designed for and I am no expert)

Steve
Old 11-11-2008, 07:38 PM
LHD220Turbo
10K+ Poster!!

Originally Posted by steveboyslim
The block is made by ex-employees of a UK company on the other side of the world.
A highly respected UK based tuner is doing an assessment for a high power YB build.
I have seen the block in N/A use, I have doubts it will be suitable for big horsepower use (not what it was designed for and I am no expert)

Steve
what are your doubts about it in high HP application then mate? interested to know
Old 11-11-2008, 07:43 PM
RickyLee53
I've found that life I needed.. It's HERE!!

Just as an example:

Most of the Honda's i've stripped have and Evo's have.
Old 11-11-2008, 07:53 PM
steveboyslim
PassionFord Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

what are your doubts about it in high HP application then mate? interested to know
Torsional rigidity and overall strength, aluminium is weaker than cast iron.
Hypothetically, if the alloy block was cast using the original cast iron mould, would it not be weaker ?
I know the have introduced more metal to the stud areas but the block wall thickness is less.
When Ford and Harts did the BDT and BDT/E four bolt main caps were used and much more metal was introduced to strengthen the block in the main bearing area and a dry deck format was used to improve the rigidity of the deck face.

Steve
Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM
cossiemanden
DANISH cosworth abuser

i cant see why it shouldent hold together?
The evos produce what 1500bhp now on alu blocks?
Why should this one not hold together for 600+bhp then?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:31 PM
cosworth
Regular Contributor

Torsional rigidity and overall strength, aluminium is weaker than cast iron.
Hypothetically, if the alloy block was cast using the original cast iron mould, would it not be weaker ?
I know the have introduced more metal to the stud areas but the block wall thickness is less.
When Ford and Harts did the BDT and BDT/E four bolt main caps were used and much more metal was introduced to strengthen the block in the main bearing area and a dry deck format was used to improve the rigidity of the deck face.

Steve
I'm no expert on engine blocks either. However, first of all I find it hard to believe that Cosworth have just poured aluminium alloy into the old Ford block mould. Second of all, when I did the tour of the Cosworth factory none of the racing engines had cast iron blocks... And on F1 cars the blocks have to cope with being a stressed member of the chassis as well.

I don't know any details of the Cosworth YB block so I cannot comment on the actual strength of that particular design. There is however nothing to indicate that a aluminium alloy block should'nt be able to cope with high power outputs and torsional rigidity issues. Quite the contrary I would say. Cosworth should have plenty of experience with aluminium alloy blocks in high power/torsional rigidity applications. Hence they should have the necessary know how to make this a rigid and solid block (I don't know if this particular design has those qualities though - just that it should be possible).

Any other, better educated, views on this?
Old 11-11-2008, 08:33 PM
Dave Henshall
PassionFord Post Whore!!

Steve
so it is a cosworth branded millington block then? like the one on the old reyland escos?

Quick Reply: Cosworth is manufacturing new YB Alloy Engine Blocks AND YB cylinder head (page 2)